Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Blogger: I Want To Punch The Face of Everyone Who Changed Their Facebook Profile Photo to Show Support Of Marriage Equality

Because it's so groupthink! And not indie or pencil thin moustache or post gay enough.

Or something.

by Anonymousreply 5004/01/2013

Yes, PLEASE! More lectures about authenticity from....some hack of a writer who spends his entire day writing about reality TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

I'm friends with him on FB and mutual friends were giving him shit.

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

He had the valid point of: Just changing a Facebook photo isn't enough. I agree. I totally co-sign that one. True supporters need to take the next step and get involved, contact legislators, etc.

But he also completely missed the idea of solidarity and strength in numbers. And for many of the people who changed their photo or showed support it was their FIRST TIME doing so and it was moving for me to see some of the people I knew come forth for the first time.

To have someone shoot that down because it wasn't done to their liking, or fast enough....well, I think that's a bunch of shit.

Allies "come out" as LGBT people do - in their own ways and at their own paces. And pissing on their efforts because they don't living in the same post-gay WeHo bubble that all the A-gays live in? Is just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

What a douche bag.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

Well, Vice's cofounder Gavin McInnes is openly conservative and racist. A lot of their articles use the magazine's hipster credentials to push the reactionary agenda.

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

I've worked on gay marriage campaigns before. I always ask my friends to help out by volunteering their time. I've had several friends who tell me they would love to help BUT....

Anyway, all those friends have no changed their pics to the HRC one to show how much they care about the issue, and I can't help but roll my eyes at them. I didn't change my picture and one of them called me out. I reminded him of how he was always too "busy" to volunteer for campaigns and then I asked how else he's contributed to the cause besides a profile pic and he didn't say anything.

Tired of these pussy gays that think changing their profile pic means they care about the issue. They only care when facebook tells them it's cool to care kind of like the whole Kony thing last year. Everyone was posting that cool viral video to show people they care about Africa but we all know how that turned out.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

It is sad when showing your supports or being political correct means for a lot of people just to change their facebook profile pic or post some empty 'I am all for equality' and leave it at that (and not go any further with their support). It's really just one step away from apathy.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

Agree r7

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

what r7 said.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

I'm sorry and, um, what exactly did you people do to show support?

Social networking is a very powerful medium and choosing to go red on Tuesday and Wednesday was just a small way of registering one's support among a group of people that hopefully one held sway with - your friends and family. It also shows and raises awareness. Pretending it's anything more or less than that is just churlish.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

can't stand VICE. It has never been as hip or edgy or TOLERANT as it paints itself to be. I wonder if the hipsters who worship at its altar are aware of what it stands for?

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

It was uplifting to see you cynical old queens.

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2013

Brian Moylan LOOKS like a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

R13, so posting a cool picture about why I support gay marriage is more "uplifting" than actually volunteering and helping out?

That's what some of us have an issue with. All these people changing their profile pictures can't be bothered to actually do something substantial (like volunteering!).

If only MLK had changed his profile pic, then blacks would've achieved "equal" rights earlier.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

Missing the point.

This idiot Brian and r15.

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

The anti-gay gay is the ironic hipster facial hair of...last year.

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2013

The extent of Brian Moylan's involvement with anything has always been restricted to writing about ostensibly gay reality crap for click farms like Gawker.

God, he's tedious. And not even in a new way.

by Anonymousreply 1904/01/2013

r7 - I understand what your saying but let me give you another take. I do volunteer work for two fundraisers that take up the better part of my year (both support AIDS charities). I support marriage equality, but I really don't have time to volunteer with Lambda Legal also. I changed my facebook profile to the HRC symbol.

Just another perspective.

by Anonymousreply 2004/01/2013

Yeah, yeah some of us have been working to change minds for 40+ years by living dangerous lives as out gay people in places Brian Moylan can't even imagine and this idiot is trying to tell us how we should be doing it - now that we're finally winning the war.

Social media is a part of the struggle - always has been.

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2013

The equality sign on Facebook is a big step for many people. You're publicly taking a side on a controversial issue, and that's still a big deal for devout Christians, for instance. Just be glad the tide is turning our way.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

I changed mine before I realized it was a "thing" (I lifted a really nice looking design from a friend of mine) the night before the first day of Supreme Court arguments, and by morning, it seemed like most of the people I know had changed theirs.

I think it might have been a for-real (small) political action.

Kind of floored me to see all that red.

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

Why is everyone assuming that everyone who changed their logo didn't actually work on the issue, that the logo change was all they did?

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2013

Because this is all about drumming up phony outrage and patting oneself on the back about equally phony commitment to "real work on the issues" by a hack writer and the do-nothings who think like him. What you're suggesting would've involved a modicum of research.

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013

Looks like Moylan got the attention he was after.

by Anonymousreply 2604/01/2013

Not a huge fan of Moylan/Vice but of course he (and R7!) are correct.

by Anonymousreply 2704/01/2013

I don't take issue with the equality signs in general, but I do have a MAJOR problem with the Human Rights Campaign which have done absolutely jack-shit for the cause.

All Joe Salmonese did was collect big fat checks and host A-list gay fundraising parties. The HRC does more fundraising than actual activist work. They are no better than any of the other sleazy lobbyist groups in Washington who are more concerned with being invited to the right event than getting anything done.

REAL activist groups like ACT-UP don't exist anymore. After the AIDS crisis was averted with medication, the focus of the gay "leadership" shifted to the HRC and GLAAD, two of the phoniest, money hungry sham organizations on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 2804/01/2013

He's a moron.

All the people I know who changed their profiles have been activists for years - lawyers working on gay rights cases, organizers and people who have written a lot of substantive work on gay rights. I've done the marches, the fundraisers, political campaigns for gay candidates - what is this genius' activism record?

There's a time to be snarky and contrary - when gay people in America are second class citizens, all support for equality is good.

Even a gay moron should get that.

by Anonymousreply 2904/01/2013

I don't think anyone is paying attn to the profile = & red stuff on fb though. Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 3004/01/2013

One friend changed their profile pic and within a couple of hours most of my FB friends had changed their's as well. People were asking questions and talking about it quite a lot. I think all in all it created a sense of community amongst my gay and straight friends. People who might never have spoken up for marriage equality were doing so on FB.

I don't think that's a small event when hundreds, and thousands of people from all walks of life get on board.

by Anonymousreply 3104/01/2013

And, I might add, I'm not sure making a sign and trotting on down to the Supreme Court may have had as big an effect as people think it does. It's important and should always happen but do any of you remember any of the signs from last week off the top of your heads. The only person that stood out was the guy in the devil horns.

A week later, however, everyone I know recognizes what the read symbol means.

by Anonymousreply 3204/01/2013

Mx Justin Vivian Bond posted on Facebook: "Wait, so we're supposed to keep these red equal signs up until June?"

No way. It's all so 'last week.'

by Anonymousreply 3304/01/2013

I just hate how the useless HRC has co-opted the movement. Who the hell are they to be the arbiters of this?

by Anonymousreply 3404/01/2013

r11 nails it.

[quote] They can't be bothered to go out there and volunteer.

This is such a superficial notion of what it means to be supportive. Volunteer! Write your senator! March!

All great things, but really... 2013 here.

by Anonymousreply 3504/01/2013

Does a bumper sticker saying "I Support the Troups" really help the troups?

by Anonymousreply 3604/01/2013

I think it's ridiculous to expect straight friends and family to march down to Washington and picket the SCOTUS for gay rights. It's great if they do, but ultimately this is our fight. We should be focusing on apathy and too-passive activism within our own ranks, not attacking vocal and supportive straight allies.

I'm vehemently pro-choice, but as a gay male it's not an issue in my life. I remember voicing support on Facebook for Planned Parenthood and calling out the pink nazis at Susan Komen, but I've never donated money or participated in a demonstration. I'm also not calling myself a reproductive rights activist, either. I don't think it's inauthentic to voice support for a political idea unless you're actively campaigning for it. Everyone has a right to their opinion (and a right to disagree) but why attack those who agree with us?

I'm 200-trillion times more annoyed by my gay friends who pat themselves on the back for painting Facebook pink or that god-awful no h8te campaign, yet have never marched or demonstrated or wrote to a legislator or had a debate with an actual opponent.

by Anonymousreply 3704/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 3804/01/2013

"Does a bumper sticker saying "I Support the Troups" really help the troups?"

No, and it doesn't help the TROOPS, either, you illiterate douche nozzle.

by Anonymousreply 3904/01/2013

The most change comes from just living out and openly. The people around us come to see us as just like them. THIS is how change is made.

In that aspect, we are all activists and we are all doing MORE than holding a sign on a street corner would accomplish.

Regarding the pics, can you imagine some straight person in rural America checking their facebook and seeing a dozen or so friends logo being the equal sign? It might get them to think, and so for that, it was important to do. At the very least it will make them think about what they say before they type something homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 4004/01/2013

I guess I don't understand why everything has to be so black and white these days. I can't see the harm in changing your profile photo to the red symbol and I can't see how that necessarily inteferes with someone's work as an activist.

I think the two go hand in hand quite well.

by Anonymousreply 4104/01/2013

When did Moylan leave Gawker for Vice?

by Anonymousreply 4204/01/2013

[quote]I can't see the harm in changing your profile photo to the red symbol and I can't see how that necessarily inteferes with someone's work as an activist.

Because you can't change your profile pic AND do something else supportive. That's why people are so pissed about it. Once someone changes their profile pic, it totally incapacitates them from ever doing anything else.

by Anonymousreply 4304/01/2013

Yes, HRC raises funds, and then distributes those funds to local AIDS and gay-related causes. What part of that don't you get?

by Anonymousreply 4404/01/2013

What a douche. Hey, ANY support is good support. In big and small ways. Changing a FB photo might not be a monumental thing but what does it hurt? It is good "energy" and indicates a mindset. We could use all the positive mindset we can get. People who say you aren't doing enough when you at least did SOMETHING don't deserve the help at all. A token gesture in support of marriage equality is still a GESTURE.

Fuck that guy. He is no friend to gays and he is too stupid to realize it.

by Anonymousreply 4504/01/2013

[quote]Yes, HRC raises funds, and then distributes those funds to local AIDS and gay-related causes. What part of that don't you get?

The leadership of the HRC, all white men, also live a wealthy, bourgeois lifestyle complete with expensive apartments in NYC and DC, Mercedes and BMWs and luxury vacations around the globe.

They see themselves as the elite of the gay community, the "A-Gays". They built fortunes on stringing other disenfranchised LGBT along, asking us to donate to fill their overflowing coffers while they sold out time and again. It was the real activists, the boots on the ground that made the actual change, not these elitist, Prada loafer wearing scumbags.

by Anonymousreply 4604/01/2013

"Yes, HRC raises funds, and then distributes those funds to local AIDS and gay-related causes. What part of that don't you get?"

The money part.

by Anonymousreply 4704/01/2013

Never are the haves and have nots so FAR apart as in the gay world (I won't even use the word community.) There is a book called The Velvet Rage (still relevant in 2013) which explains all the social climbing and career achievements and MATERIAL possessions as being a way to prove that we (meaning self-loathing gays) are worth something, to fill a deep hole of self-hate that some gay men don't even realize is there. It is transparent to those who have self-esteem and self-worth and who don't strive to impress with "things." All that negative energy is turned outward and makes some gay men seem so horribly vapid and shallow. The "A" gays are hated because deep down they hate themselves and flaunt their money and cars and clothes and houses and position and power in ways that perpetuate the hatred and resentment of others towards them. I only mention all of this as part of the explanation as to why some of the leaders of these supposedly gay supportive organizations are such narcissistic and insular douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 4804/01/2013

[quote] Looks like Moylan got the attention he was after.

Yeah, that too. He got his page hits writing about something he knows nothing about re: 98% of the country.

I'm no fan of the HRC, and as I said upthread I get why just posting a photo isn't enough. But the KONY comparison isn't really an accurate one.

The fact is, there's been a tremendous change in public opinion in the last several years, and the social media show of solidarity played its role, because it reached people who normally aren't in the usual LGBT friendly channels of communication.

I saw lots of grannies and grampas and Xtians and others who showed solidarity, and I know that's a recent evolution for them. To piss on that is just fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 4904/01/2013

Exactly OP.

by Anonymousreply 5004/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!