Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

JOSS WHEDON

The Oscar-nominated, Emmy-winning creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

He hit it big with The Avengers, his new Shakespeare movie is getting raves, and he has a handful of brilliant TV shows under his belt ...

What's his story?

by Anonymousreply 6604/05/2013

Made Amy Acker fuck for her role on Angel

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2013

[quote]What's his story?

Longtime fanboy fave, hit the big time with "Buffy," hit the fucking LOTTO with "The Avengers." I don't buy the Amy Acker bullshit rumor, either.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

Started his career writing on Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

This was the first episode he wrote.

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

He wrote on of my favorite Roseanne episodes, the one where Darlene reads her poem.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

His mother was a strong feminist and pre-Dollhouse, I would have credited him with routinuely writing great female characters.

Dollhouse was troubling, still love him though.

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

Dollhouse was amazing minus the first half a dozen or so episodes which were TERRIBLE.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

The female characters on Buffy and Firefly are wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

Dollhouse, the Inge play?

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

Is Firefly worth the effort? It has just started up for free again on Hulu

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

Yes, R10, very much so.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

R10, Firefly was one of the best series ever.

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

Firefly is better than Buffy.

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2013

Nooooo! Buffy is WAY better than firefly, the whole WORLD knows it!

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013

LOL. We can agree to disagree R14

I fell in love with Firefly when Jewel Staite ate the strawberry.

by Anonymousreply 1504/02/2013

R7, I heard Dollhouse evolved into something good after a bad start.

I had given up on it after the umpteenth hooker sex doll fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2013

I'm the biggest Buffy fan in the world. I've watched the entire show (all seven seasons) at least three times (many individual episodes, many multiples of that). I have them all on DVD.

Firefly is better.

It was far more interesting, adult, and gripping in its short 12-13 episodes, than Buffy was in two full seasons. I can only imagine how great it would have been if it had been allowed to flourish. Each episode got better than the last (with the exception of The Train Job), and it's final aired broadcast, "Objects in Space", is one of the best hours of TV ever put on TV.

I hope I'm not over-selling it, but that's honestly how I feel.

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2013

R16, DollHouse suffered from network meddling for the first six episodes. After that, they realized it wasn't getting ratings, so they left it alone. As of episode six, it SHINED. It got so good. And the (unaired) season finale (on DVD), "Epitaph One", was mind blowing.

Season two, which they never thought they'd get, was also very good... but it too had a few weak episodes up front. But then it picked up steam, and just never let up. The series finale, "Epitaph Two", was a fitting end to the series, even if the second half did feel a bit compressed (they all knew it was their last season for sure). Glad they got to wrap it up.

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2013

Really wished his Wonder Woman would have been made.

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2013

R17 Joss and Tim wrote The Train Job in a weekend. It was a good caper, but not nearly as good as the ones that followed.

I loved Shindig for character development, Objects in Space for philosophical musing and Summer Glau's amazing performance, and Jayneston for the humor.

by Anonymousreply 2004/02/2013

If Batwoman were every made into a movie, I prey to the god I don't believe in, for him to write it.

by Anonymousreply 2104/02/2013

Firefly changed me forever, first in a good way and now that it's gone forever in a bad way. I gave television sixty years, but now I quit.

by Anonymousreply 2204/02/2013

Honestly, Dollhouse is my favorite Joss series, though I agree the beginning is pretty painful. I also have a really dorky theory that the whole issue of "tech vs normals" in present day-set Dollhouse is directly related to the Alliance vs. Independents wars and possibly the origination of the Reavers.

by Anonymousreply 2304/02/2013

His father also wrote and produced for The Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 2404/02/2013

When was he up for an OSCAR?

by Anonymousreply 2504/02/2013

Firefly bored the living fuck out of me.

Liked Buffy.

LOVED Angel.

by Anonymousreply 2604/02/2013

I tried watching Buffy but it was the worst 2 hours of my life. I just wanted it to end.

by Anonymousreply 2704/02/2013

[quote]When was he up for an OSCAR?

For the Toy Story screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 2804/02/2013

Angel is my favorite sark series. It's dark and epic.

And it has some of the best character development in a TV series ever.

by Anonymousreply 2904/02/2013

Angel had strong points...and some very weak moments, like when Fred turned blue.

I did love Angel's overall take on modern evil...and the trip to Italy (Kiss! Kiss!) will always make me chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 3004/02/2013

Fred turning blue was one of the better storylines. Fred's death was a beautiful episode and Illyria and Wesley together provided some heartbreaking moments, especially in the finale.

by Anonymousreply 3104/02/2013

Buffy was amazing.

Angel was OK.

Firefly; forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 3204/02/2013

I liked Firefly a lot, but I don't seem to appreciate it as much as other Whedon fans. It would actually be my least favorite of his series.

Buffy and Angel also had their worst seasons while Firefly was going on (Seasons 7 and 4, respectively).

by Anonymousreply 3304/02/2013

Fox screwed up Firefly.

by Anonymousreply 3404/02/2013

WOW just watched the first episode of Firefly. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 3504/02/2013

It gets even better R35. Train Job and Bushwhacked aren't stellar, but Shindig is. And Our Miss Reynolds has a young, trim Christina Hendricks.

by Anonymousreply 3604/02/2013

Buffy did have some genuinely great episodes; but many fans conveniently forget it had some shitty episodes too.

The "Dark Willow" storyline was ridiculously over-the-top (and it had no consequences--after Willow stopped being murderously insane and hideously flayed someone to death with her magic powers, she "got better" and everyone just decided to forgive her for having been a psychopathic murderer). And who could forget those shitty later seasons which would always feature Sarah Michelle Gellar giving those bizarre megalomaniacal speeches that basically said the following: "Because I'm the boss--and I will sacrifice each and every one of you to my vision--because I am the only one who knows what's going on..." It was said that Whedon did this because he was annoyed with network interference on his show, but his bizarrely paranoid megalomania evident in those episodes was unforgivable.

But I forgive him much for the excellence of FIREFLY, or the first few seasons of BUFFY, and for THE AVENGERS. But I don't trust him because I know he's capable of pulling self-indulgent bullshit as he has in the past.

by Anonymousreply 3704/02/2013

I'm confused by his love of Amy Acker, but it's okay because I'm also confused by MY love of Amy Acker. Kim like obsessed with everything she does.

by Anonymousreply 3804/02/2013

I love that he had Jewel Staite gain weight for Firefly.

by Anonymousreply 3904/02/2013

I think he is a great writer, but as a director he is only OK

by Anonymousreply 4004/02/2013

[quote]The "Dark Willow" storyline was ridiculously over-the-top (and it had no consequences--after Willow stopped being murderously insane and hideously flayed someone to death with her magic powers, she "got better" and everyone just decided to forgive her for having been a psychopathic murderer). And who could forget those shitty later seasons which would always feature Sarah Michelle Gellar giving those bizarre megalomaniacal speeches that basically said the following: "Because I'm the boss--and I will sacrifice each and every one of you to my vision--because I am the only one who knows what's going on..." It was said that Whedon did this because he was annoyed with network interference on his show, but his bizarrely paranoid megalomania evident in those episodes was unforgivable.

In my world seasons 6 and 7 didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 4104/02/2013

Firefly is anything but forgettable... it's the very definition of unforgettable. Only 12 episodes, and it has a larger fan following than most shows that had a full run.

by Anonymousreply 4204/02/2013

[quote]In my world seasons 6 and 7 didn't happen.

But that's my point.

Josh Whedon does rotten stuff every once in a while his fans like to forget, and then they say, "Everything he does is great." But that's because they've blocked out the crappy things he's done.

by Anonymousreply 4304/02/2013

Firefly was brilliant and should have been around for years. So many more stories to tell and what great cast chemistry.

The FOX suits fucked it up. They also fucked themselves by destroying what would have been a huge moneymaking franchise.

by Anonymousreply 4404/02/2013

He had almost nothing to do with Buffy's season 6 outside of the musical episode. Martin Knoxon was running the show.

by Anonymousreply 4504/02/2013

Marti Noxon.

by Anonymousreply 4604/02/2013

Marni Nixon

by Anonymousreply 4704/02/2013

Season 5--"Dark Willow"--was also crappy.

by Anonymousreply 4804/02/2013

Mal and Zoe = Buffy Kaylee = Willow Wash = Xander Book = Giles

by Anonymousreply 4904/02/2013

The only thing Joss wrote in Buffy that made me truly unhappy was in the season 8 comics, where he had Xander and Dawn become a couple. Even though Dawn is an adult now, that's some Woody Allen shit.

by Anonymousreply 5004/02/2013

Buffy really went downhill once it left the "hell is high school" mission statement. Seasons 1-3 were perfect but the show suffered from leaving the high school (you essentially had nothing for Giles to do) and the whole college experience just didn't suit Buffy. They also split half the show to go to Angel and that watered everything down.

by Anonymousreply 5104/02/2013

That's right. Knox is from Angel.

by Anonymousreply 5204/02/2013

Also, he still wrote many of the episodes of seasons 6 & 7--including the episodes with Buffy's Ayn-Randian speeches. There's no evading his responsibility for them nor excusing them.

by Anonymousreply 5304/02/2013

@29 what is "sark"

by Anonymousreply 5404/02/2013

[quote]Also, he still wrote many of the episodes of seasons 6 & 7--including the episodes with Buffy's Ayn-Randian speeches. There's no evading his responsibility for them nor excusing them.

Joss is credited in writing 3 episodes for seasons 6 and 7. The musical episode in season 6 and the first and last episodes of season 7

by Anonymousreply 5504/02/2013

I actually really liked season 6 of Buffy. Season 7, not so much. And I also loved Angel season 4, but pretty much hated season 5

That puts me in the minority of Joss fans I think.

by Anonymousreply 5604/02/2013

Which Buffy season introduced Cousin Oliver (Dawn)?

by Anonymousreply 5704/03/2013

R57

Season 5.

Apparently it had been planned as early as Season 3. Faith makes a reference to it in a dream sequence.

by Anonymousreply 5804/03/2013

R57, that was season 5. The best season, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 5904/03/2013

Nothing beats season 3...season 2 comes close, though.

by Anonymousreply 6004/04/2013

I didn't care for season 4 while watching the show live, but really enjoyed it on DVD in a power-marathon.

I loved season 5 while watching it live, but it lost something on DVD during a power-marathon.

I like season 6 which makes me weird I guess. I though the three evil nerds were HILARIOUS.

Hated season 7 with the exception of one or two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 6104/04/2013

Dollhouse is great, but here's how you have to start it: get the DVD set from your library or wherever and watch the unaired/original pilot. Then skip straight to episode 6, "Man on the Street", and continue in order from there.

If you really want to you can go back and watch the first five eps, but the unaired pilot covers everything worthwhile in them. Unfortnately, it's not included with the Netflix streaming eps.

by Anonymousreply 6204/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 6404/05/2013

I did like Tara.

by Anonymousreply 6504/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 6604/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.