Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Magic Mike

I'm thinking of renting the film. Was it a good movie? Should I watch it?

by Anonymousreply 2306/24/2013

As long as you understand its' mostly a comedy, you'll like it. It's slight, but entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2013

No. One of the few Steven Soder burg movie I haven't liked. I found it shallow and pointless and not even fun.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

No, OP, do not expend another brain cell on anything as mindless and cloyingly obvious as MAGIC MIKE. You obviously don't have much of an intellect to spare.

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

It's actually not good. Beyond that, it's not even ironically or campy funny. And, the beefcake isn't all that great either.

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

It's not a perfect film, but it's better than most flicks these days -- and the man candy is nice.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

If you're a woman and like chick-flicks, you'll love it.

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

Was it good? NO

Should you watch it? Get the Blu-ray with the extended dance sequences - that's really what's worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

A lot of people love slagging on this movie for some reason. It is what it is... an entertaining, funny little trifle. It's not a great movie. But it's not bad either. Is it worth 90 minutes of your time? Sure. There are worse ways to spend an hour and a half.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

[quote]A lot of people love slagging on this movie for some reason.

Can't people just honestly dislike something? I don't "love" slagging on Magic Mike. I saw it in the theater upon its release and simply found it very boring. Wasn't even campy fun. That's my assessment. I'm not "slagging," I'm not going to insist people avoid it, I don't "hate" it. I had fully expected it to be stupid, which it was, but the reason I saw it, is because I thought it would be some mindless fun, but it really fell short for me.

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

At least renting it you can fast-forward to the stripping scenes. I saw it in the theater and had to suffer through all the filler.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

Keep an eye out for the scene where Matthew McConaughey's character teaches Alex Pettyfer's character how to dance by grinding his cock into Alex's ass... jerk worthy!

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

R9, I laughed most of the way through it. It was hilarious in spots, and yes, very campy fun in spots (the penis pumping scene in particular).

You must have just been in a bad mood or something.

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

I'm watching it now. R11, I couldn't help but notice how hands-on MM was with Alex Pettyfer and that scene where he teaches him to strip is pretty homoerotic. Overall, the film is just ok. There are some pretty hot bodies. Not a lot of nudity but some nice ass shots...

by Anonymousreply 1306/23/2013

I thought it was hot.

by Anonymousreply 1406/23/2013

Perhaps this thread might be more interesting r13

by Anonymousreply 1506/23/2013

Didn't the dumb-ass straight director say he cut most of the stripper scenes because they made him uncomfortable? Who the fuck cares if he was uncomfortable, he wasn't the target audience for his own movie then, and should've realized that. Women and gay men were the target audience, and if they're finally going to serve us a stripper movie, it should be crammed with hot stripper action.

by Anonymousreply 1606/23/2013

The movie was tedious, the acting horrid and the dialog worse than the acting...and no gaydom, please, they are strippers, get real. It was a pathetic waste of time and money.

by Anonymousreply 1706/23/2013

Steven Soderbergh is not "straight."

Again, see the thread linked in R15 where this was discussed at length.

by Anonymousreply 1806/23/2013

Eewwww. I feel ashamed of gay men who flocked to the theaters for this.

by Anonymousreply 1906/23/2013

Do any of the actors in it have either yellow skin or womanly butts?

by Anonymousreply 2006/23/2013

If you want eye candy, find it elsewhere rather than this soporific trite mess.

by Anonymousreply 2106/23/2013

...and a sequel's in the works...

by Anonymousreply 2206/24/2013

Hugely disappointing. This is only one instance where I wished a film had been directed by Joel Schumacher.

by Anonymousreply 2306/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!