Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GAME OF THRONES Season Three premiere: "Valar Dohaeris"

The Tyrells face the Lannisters at Kings Landing!

Tyrion faces his loss of status!

Khaleesi faces the Unsullied!

Jon Snow faces his libido!

Robb Stark faces his mother!

I want to see dragons, giants, imps, a credits citadel for Riverrun and Astapor, and Sansa's hairnet!

by Anonymousreply 12004/14/2013

Winter is Coming.

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

The Tywin/Tyrion scene was one of the best ones this show has done. Charles Dance and Peter Dinklage are both so ridiculously good.

Loved seeing the beginning of the Cersei/Marg relationship. She threw some pretty epic bitch faces her way.

Every Dany scene was gold. This is going to be such a damn good season for her, it is clear they are going to do her plotline from the book justice.

Felt good to have this show back, but as always each episode just makes you hungry for the next one damnit.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

Cold opening! (Very cold...)

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

Coo new toy city in the credits for Astapor (with the harpy on top of the tower).

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

Missed it, glad it comes on 40 times before next Sunday. Hell, it's on now.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

Stuff beyond the wall is always dreary because the people are so poor and the landscape is so dreary.

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

First gratuitous sex scene!

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

I actually gained a bit of respect for Margaery. Thought she was a power-hungry little twit last season, but she's showing some compassion that I hope will be a good counterbalance to that prick of a fiance of hers...

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

She IS power-hungry and her "compassion" is a part of that. Have the people "love" her so she gains the upper hand.

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

Glad Davos is still alive after the Battle of Blackwater. One of my favorite characters.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

Maybe I just have a weakness for redheads, but Rose Leslie jumps off the screen in every scene she's in. She's going places.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

Nipple slicing! EWWW!

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

R9 speaks the truth. Margaery is the fake to end all fakes.

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2013

Bitches please, Margaery is worse than Cersei. That's why she's so much fun. :)

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

Margaery is power-hungry, but not in the way Cersei is. Her father raised her to become queen of Westeros one day, but she is not cruel or spiteful, and she does not want to rule by herself the way Cersei does. She just wants to be married to whoever the king is because that's what she's been raised to do.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

When the guy in the cloak appeared to save Dany, I let out a huge "fuck yeah! Barriston Selmy!" I love him, have been wanting to see him again ever since he gave Joffrey the verbal bitch-slap and stormed out of the castle.

Overall, a great episode... Hope the season keeps this level up.

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

A mixed episode. The problem is that like the books there are just too many characters and not enough space, so there was no Arya or Olenna Redwyne (they're promised for next week). Also, as one the more recent reviewers pointed out, it's all set-up in the early episodes for big action in the final three episodes.

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2013

The biggest scene tonight was between Tyrion and Tywin. So perfect on every level. Every insult for Tywin felt like daggars. I felt so sad for Tyrion in that moment. Dinklage and Dance really are a tour de force together.

I really loathe Ygritte but that's not surprising since she was annoying as hell in the books too. The SFX of the giant was great. Realistic, as far as giants go. The intro of Mance Rayder was a bit of a let down but Ciaran Hinds is a fine actor so I'm sure his portrayal will grow on me.

Margaery coming into her role as "The People's Queen" was another good scene and the subsequent Royal Family dinner with Cersei throwing major shade. LOL!!

by Anonymousreply 1804/01/2013

I love Ygritte and I agree with the above poster that the actress who plays her is a standout.

by Anonymousreply 1904/01/2013

I was watching last season, and I have a question.

When Littlefinger recognizes Arya Stark acting as Tywin's servant, why doesn't he do anything?

He must realize how valuable she is, but he doesn't tell Tywin or try to get her for himself. Why? It's not like that opportunistic little fuck to miss an opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 2004/01/2013

I loathe Ygritte too. Nothing against the actress, I didn't like her in the book and I just don't think I am going to overcome that in the TV adaptation. But, I think the only two weak links acting wise this episode was Jon and Littlefinger.

I thought it was a good premiere, set the table for the season while letting us what has kind of happened since last.

Margarey definitely rocks the PR, that girl knows what she is doing.

As for Arya/Tywin/Littlefinger last season, I don't know why Littlefinger didn't say anything. I always took as that he did not recognize her.

Best scene of the night was Tywin/Tyrion. Tywin is horrible. And the show definitely set it up that he has a huge blind spot regarding his youngest son, since clearly he is the most capable Lannister. Jaime and Cersei (and Joffrey) are the ones ruining the Lannister rep.

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2013

It wasn't a great episode but that was really just because it was part picking up where thing left off and the main part

One thing I missed was Arya, although I'm sure her story will pick up again soon. And I'm also curious as to where Jamie Lannister and the giant woman-knight have got to.

Littlefinger has always been one of the weak links acting wise but the guy can play smarmily charming well enough.

Tywin and Tirion are just ridiculously good.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

Could they PLEASE stop with the tiresome "winter is coming!!"?

We've been hearing that since the first season. Alright already, it's gonna get cold. Shit. The seasons on this planet/world sure do take a long fucking time to come around!

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

Will there ever be anymore gay characters? They killed off the handsome gay king, now there's no one. Any hope for us?

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2013

R24 The king's lover, Loras Tyrell, is still alive. He doesn't have any other partners in the books but I wouldn't be surprised if they write in some bum fun for him.

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013

Well it was summer at the beginning of the show and now it is autumn R23, the seasons are progressing. And honestly they have rarely used that line since the first season.

And did you not notice that Loras was in this episode R24? We still have a gay character left.

In terms of future ones, there is a male bisexual character who will be around next season. And then another gay male character will likely be introduced around the season after that.

There aren't a ton of them (and in the books we never get a male/male sex scene even though there are tons of straight sex scenes and girl/girl sex scenes) but the author is good about including them in his story and acknowledging that yes some people are gay or bi unlike a lot of fantasy authors.

by Anonymousreply 2604/01/2013

I'm only watching this terrible show and its dreadful expository dialogue and Renaissance Faire-lite style of acting if this season ends with the Red Wedding, killing off every annoying character. That is happening, right?

by Anonymousreply 2704/01/2013

Could someone PLEASE post a SPOILER response and describe/explain "The Red Wedding".

Many of us don't mind the head's-up and I'm tired of people like R27 mentioning it without giving some details.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2804/01/2013

I'd rather not in this thread, because that makes it impossible for people who don't want to be spoiled to avoid it.

I linked a brief description, but honestly if you haven't read the books it is better to not know what is coming.

by Anonymousreply 2904/01/2013

I bumped up the spoilers thread and put a description of it there.

by Anonymousreply 3004/01/2013

At this point I am afraid of being overwhelmed by all the info without having read the books. I feel like the show just gives me quick cliffnotes and if I miss one bit the whole show becomes a confusing mess. This happened to me in the scene of Rob Stark and his mother being (which I presume) at the mother's father castle after some big fight had taken place.

by Anonymousreply 3104/01/2013

It's only getting more complicated from here, r31.

by Anonymousreply 3204/01/2013

The Robb Stark scene was confusing, though it isn't always the end of the world if you don't immediately understand it. They are clearly just setting up a new setting and plotline for them that will be expanded upon in future episodes.

But the what happened was they arrived in Harrenhal (where Daddy Lannister was last season), expecting to see a small Lannister host left but they had killed all the prisoners and abandoned the castle rather than try to hold it against Robb's forces.

So you didn't miss anything important really.

by Anonymousreply 3304/01/2013

Oh, so it was Harrenhaal (I thought so at first)? When the mother said something about one of the victims being her father's banner carrier I thought it was a different location and there was some strange animation going on with Winterfell in the opening credits so that got me confused, too. Thanks for clearing that up. I really try to avoid spoilers for the show (took one peek about the Red Wedding and saw one character's name I don't really care about, but that was enough for me to read any further).

Neverless I like the spoiler free discussion that must look hilarious to those who have read the books.

by Anonymousreply 3404/01/2013

I have read the books, but I like this thread. The series varies in certain ways from the books, collapsing stories and placing stress on different characters at times. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3504/01/2013

I read the books, which I highly recommend, but I also really enjoy reading threads here and elsewhere with fans that have only watched the show. It's a different perspective.

I will say that this opening was better than last seasons because instead of trying to pack every character into the first episode they are drawing it out more, which is closer to the books' pacing. We don't get everyone in every chapter. Each chapter is devoted to the POV of a particular character.

by Anonymousreply 3604/01/2013

Margaery is definitely playing the game of thrones but she is doing it in a much more subtle, and arguably better, manner. She is cunning, but she is also a good-hearted person. The Tyrells in general are on the side of good, but they all are very, very ambitious and grasping but in their own low-key way.

by Anonymousreply 3704/01/2013

Loras is Margaery's sister, so he will be around.

by Anonymousreply 3804/01/2013

I mean brother!

by Anonymousreply 3904/01/2013

I'm so behind. Is the king still alive?

by Anonymousreply 4004/01/2013

r40, do you mean King Robert? He was killed in Season One by Cersei and her minions. He is now replaced by Cersei's son, Joffrey who has become the worst king in Westeros history. As Queen Regent she fancies herself "the power behind the throne" but Joffrey has proven to be uncontrollable and outright dangerous to everyone around him.

by Anonymousreply 4104/01/2013

Thanks r41. I'm most of the way through season 1. Love the king Robert actor.

by Anonymousreply 4204/01/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4304/01/2013

Jon gets more handsome as the seasons go by. Those luscious raven black locks on his head, those deep brooding eyes, those pouty full lips. OMG.

by Anonymousreply 4404/01/2013

Where is Theon Greyjoy?

by Anonymousreply 4504/01/2013

I loved the subtle introduction of Qyburn at Harrenhall.

by Anonymousreply 4604/01/2013

I'm glad that the Tywin we all know and hate is back. For a moment there last season I was actually beginning to LIKE him. Funny that he would treat servant girl Arya more nicely than his own son.

by Anonymousreply 4704/01/2013

The interactions between Littlefinger and Sansa are so good yet so creepy, just like in the books. I love their scenes together in the books and I'm glad the TV series is honoring their unique relationship.

by Anonymousreply 4804/01/2013

Stannis is hotter this season. Depression suits him well..

by Anonymousreply 4904/01/2013

On the show, not the books, do the Starks think that Theon killed Bran & Rikkon? In the books that was the final motivation for Lady Stark to free Jamie and get her daughters back, but I can't recall that being stated on the show.

by Anonymousreply 5004/01/2013

I'd rate the first episode of Season 3 a solid...7.

High Points:

Lady Maergery! I don't know what that scheming bitch is up to, but she's been absolutely fascinating to watch. We know she's devious ("No. I want to be THE queen); however, it also appears that she's not particularly malicious in her manipulations. She simply wants what she feels entitled to...while refusing to acknowledge others as threats. It was hilarious how Cersei pouted like a beaten dog when Maergery played Geoffrey like a fiddle right before her eyes.

The re-emergence of Ser Barristan Selmy: While I'm partial to the Starks (and therefore, the possibility of King Robb taking the Iron Throne), I like Daenerys and her ragtag group of misfits. Now that Ser Barristan has pledged his loyalty to the House Targaryen, it'll be interesting to see Daenery's cause gain momentum.

Daenerys's dragon tooth necklaces. Amazing.

Ros and Shae's conversation while Lord Baelish is drooling over Sansa. I especially liked the following exchange:

Ros: Look out for her.

Shae: I always do.

Ros: Especially around *him*.

Low Points:

Tywin's treatment of Tyrion was hard to stomach. Although he was fairly kind to Arya while they were at Harrenhal, I'm glad he's on her enemies list. He and Cersei willfully ignore Tyrion's role in defending Kings Landing...they're both due for getting knocked down a peg or two and it can't happen soon enough.

Samwell Tarly not dying. Again. For the thousandth time.

Jon Snow and Ygritte not fucking. Again. For the thousandth time.

PS: One of the strongest element of any Game of Thrones episode is the final frame. In the Season 3 premier, Emilia Clarke (Daenerys) cemented her status as the queen of the end scene...she just has this way of owning the moment...

by Anonymousreply 5104/01/2013

R50, Bran and Rickon got away. Theon couldn't find them, so he found two boys, killed and mutilated them, and presented them as Bran and Rickon's corpses. Bran and Rickon hid out in the cellars and came up to a burned Winterfell and the two boys corpses. I believe they put 2 and 2 together. So, that's why they think everyone thinks they are dead.

by Anonymousreply 5204/01/2013

Emilia Clarke is stunningly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 5304/01/2013

R50: In addition to what R52 said, Theon killed all the ravens at Winterfell so the Starks wouldn't find out that Bran and Rickon are "dead." Nobody knows the boys are alive...but they don't necessarily know the boys are dead either. Winterfell is under siege and Theon was betrayed by his men due to the insurmountable odds they faced if the Starks found out about what seems to have happened to Bran and Rickon.

by Anonymousreply 5404/01/2013

The scorpion thingy that the little girl used to try to assassinate khaleesi was pretty creepy.

by Anonymousreply 5504/01/2013

Jorah Mormont looked none too pleased with the arrival of Barristan. Now he'll have to fight for Dany's attention. Barristan actually knew her family better than most since he protected them 24/7 as a member of the Kingsguard. I'm sure this connection will have significant meaning for Dany.

by Anonymousreply 5604/01/2013

It was an Ok premiere, though I wanted to see the 2 little Stark lords and Arya and Gendry, I guess next episode.

by Anonymousreply 5704/01/2013

Jorah has begun to enjoy his role as Dany's closest advisor and protector...it does make sense that he'd be threatened by Ser Barristan. But also keep in mind that Jorah is a disgraced knight who fled rather than face the consequences for his crime. While Jorah has since received a pardon, Ser Barristan probably instills a bit of shame in him.

by Anonymousreply 5804/01/2013

i love this show!

by Anonymousreply 5904/01/2013

I want that Assassin guy that helped Arya escape from Harrenhal to come back! he was hot and sinister and he was a free agent, a power unto himself. In the books I think he resurfaces in another setting, but I will say no more. They need to get him back.

I think I understood the question R50 asked. We know what Theon did, and that the people who were at Winterfell all believed those charred corpses were Bran & Rickon's. But does Robb or Caitlyn also think Bran & Rickon are dead? I think yes, they do.

I don't think Jon Snow knows about it, nor does anyone know what happened to Arya. I think Caitlyn, Robb & Jon assume she's at Kings Landing. Does Jon even know Winterfell has been burned to the ground? These things came out clearly in the books, but I've forgotten.

I like Ciaran Hinds as the choice for Mance. He's a superb actor. In addition to the exchange between Tywin & Tyrion being heartbreaking and ugly, it's also very important.

Tywin finally articulates exactly how he feels about his son. He is contemptuous and hateful towards him. If anything Tyrion should have taken away the fact that there was nothing he could ever do to win his father's respect, much less his affection. Tyrion knows in no uncertain terms that Tywin despises him, loathes him.

by Anonymousreply 6004/01/2013

I forget. Why didn't Sam send the ravens? What was that dressing down all about?

by Anonymousreply 6104/01/2013

I love the setting up of Cersei vs Margaery which was so fun to see develop in the book series.

by Anonymousreply 6204/02/2013

Yes, R60, i agree, i want that guy to come back too! He was pretty hot and mysterious.

by Anonymousreply 6304/02/2013

[quote]In terms of future ones, there is a male bisexual character who will be around next season. And then another gay male character will likely be introduced around the season after that.

My understanding is that this book is being split into two seasons... so it's not strictly one book per season. Just FYI.

[quote]The scorpion thingy that the little girl used to try to assassinate khaleesi was pretty creepy.

It was a manticore, and yes, it was creepy.

by Anonymousreply 6404/02/2013

Who hired the little girl assassin against Danaerys? Someone seeking revenge from Qarth? Lord Varys trying to quell the threat beyond the Narrow Sea before it gets too dangerous? I know he always uses children as his spies and assassins.

by Anonymousreply 6504/02/2013

It was the warlocks she'd just screwed over last season wasn't it? She had the same blue hissy mouth, and Dany said something about them after it happened.

by Anonymousreply 6604/02/2013

Yes, after the thing hissed at them and disappeared into the ocean (and then reappeared on the rooftop), khaleesi said, "The warlocks!" They're mad at her for killing Pyat Pree and burning down the House of the Undying.

by Anonymousreply 6704/02/2013

Season 4 is a go! Excellent! We'll get to see the fierce bisexual Prince Oberyn Martell. Casting is everything so if they cast right, this will be an unforgettable character.

by Anonymousreply 6804/02/2013

How the fuck do you people remember these names Pyat Pree? Qyburn? Ser Barristan Selmy? I'm lucky I remember Sansa, Arya, and Bran. And I have an excellent memory.

by Anonymousreply 6904/02/2013

Some have read the books so they are used to these names, and there are lots of online resoures to help keep it straight.

For a just a casual viewer of the show, it would be fairly impossible to remember all the names. The show does a decent job or not expecting viewers to remember every name.

And glad to hear about it Season 4 pick up. It is expected, but still great that it is official. There is a lot of good stuff that should be in Season 4.

by Anonymousreply 7004/02/2013

I don't even remember Mr. Stark's (who got his head cut off) first name. Ned, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 7104/02/2013

r70, there's a lot of stuff that's going to happen this season. Set your calendar for episode 9, and no, I'm not spoiling anything. It will be an episode that will be much talked about the next day.

by Anonymousreply 7204/02/2013

I have no idea what half the characters names are, but most of the actors are well known in the UK or can be easily labelled.

Downton Abbey ginger eskimo Anne Boleyn's gay brother Lena Headey's evil troll son Dragon Lady Sean Bean's widow The Chaplin girl Sean Bean's cripple son Sean Bean's eskimo son Sean Bean's other son

by Anonymousreply 7304/02/2013

I understand everyone R73 named!!!! LOL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7404/02/2013

I still would like to know about Sam and the ravens he neglected to send.

by Anonymousreply 7504/02/2013

[quote]I don't even remember Mr. Stark's (who got his head cut off) first name. Ned, maybe?

Desirée.

But, as with so many names on Game of Thrones, with an extra "e" thrown in, so: Deseirée.

by Anonymousreply 7604/02/2013

Set your TiVo boxes ladies, Kit Harington (Jon Snow) naked scenes are confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 7704/02/2013

I love Jon Snow. Kit Harrington not so much. I guess I should cut him a break. He was new to all the publicity and the interviews were really dull. Of course so were Nicholaj Coster Waldau's interviews.

Those two were painful to watch. They were bervous lacking poise and had nothing to say. They tried SO hard and they were just embarrassingly dull. Kit seems better this year.

by Anonymousreply 7804/02/2013

R78, where did you watch them? on TV in the US? I'll have to check out youtube.

I agree that the names are confusing and so many characters and plots etc. I did not read the books. I went back and re-watched season 1 & 2 and now I am sorta obsessed with the show! Arya's my fav character.

by Anonymousreply 7904/03/2013

Does anyone else have trouble keeping track of the old white guys with beards?

by Anonymousreply 8004/03/2013

Nice try, R70, but I've read the books and watched Seasons 1&2 twice - I still can't keep every name in my head and I have a pretty decent memory. The warlock's name from the House of the Undying? Nah.

Here's a new GoT theory (well new to me): Jon Snow is not Ned Stark's son. He's secretly the son of Raegar Targarian (sp?) and Ned Stark's sister (another name I can't remember).

I don't think so but at least it was something new that I read recently.

by Anonymousreply 8104/03/2013

I didn't read the books, but do enjoy the show. I just wish, and I know this will label me a philistine, for all the character to be named Bill, Peter and Derek. Because they have SO many characters, and most have such strange names, I just get overwhelmed by it. I know Jon Snow. Other character names? No idea.

by Anonymousreply 8204/03/2013

oh boy, Jason Momoa is hot! too bad his character died!

by Anonymousreply 8304/03/2013

[quote]Because they have SO many characters, and most have such strange names

Yes, SO strange!:

Robb

Joffrey (like "Jeffrey" but with an "o")

Jaime (pronounced "Jamie")

Caitlyn

Ned

Sam

Margaery (pronounced "Marjorie")

Cersei (pronounced just like "Circe")

Tommen (like "Tom" but with an "-en" at the end)

Myrcella (like "Marcella" but with a "y")

Bran

Petyr (pronounced just like "Peter")

The mind positively reels at such bizarre names!

by Anonymousreply 8404/03/2013

To the cunt at R84, THOSE are the names most people remember. You picked the easy ones. We're talking about the more complex ones. Take your head out of your syphilitic twat and pay attention. Please!

by Anonymousreply 8504/03/2013

Where's Arya? She's my favourite.

by Anonymousreply 8604/03/2013

r84, sorry, but you are indeed a cunt.

I consider myself well above average in intelligence and I find it hard remembering the names, esp when the characters typically state the FULL long name.

by Anonymousreply 8704/03/2013

Arya was actually originally in the premiere but they move those scenes to Episode 2.

This show has a ton of characters and plotlines, obviously every character can't and shouldn't be in every episode.

[quote]Here's a new GoT theory (well new to me): Jon Snow is not Ned Stark's son. He's secretly the son of Raegar Targarian (sp?) and Ned Stark's sister (another name I can't remember).

Lol, it's not exactly a new theory. That has pretty much been the de facto assumption of most people who have read the books since forever. It was even the question that George asked the show's creators when they first approached him to see if they were really fans of the book.

by Anonymousreply 8804/03/2013

[quote] It was even the question that George asked the show's creators when they first approached him to see if they were really fans of the book.

How thrillingly self-important of him.

by Anonymousreply 8904/03/2013

[quote]I consider myself well above average in intelligence

I'll bet you do.

by Anonymousreply 9004/03/2013

r89, I don't think he was being "self-important". Mr. Martin wanted to make sure that he was putting the adaptation of his years of work in the right and most deserving hands. Benioff and Weiss said they were fans of the books and he wanted to make sure they weren't bullshitting him. I thought it was very smart on Mr. Martin's part.

by Anonymousreply 9104/03/2013

I'm hooked, but I do have a concern. I've never read the books (and don't plan to as long as the show is on the air), but it's my understanding that the author is still cranking out new books, and if anything, the "game" gets more and more complicated with every one of them.

So, how will this ever end? Is there a cobbled together "LOST" style ending in my future, or there a logical stopping point somewhere down the road?

by Anonymousreply 9204/04/2013

[quote] Here's a new GoT theory (well new to me): Jon Snow is not Ned Stark's son.

Sean Bean gave an interview after his character died and he said that he wanted to know who Jon's parents were and that surprised me because I hadn't questioned that Jon wasn't Ned's.

by Anonymousreply 9304/04/2013

R93 Jon Snow is known as the bastard child, I believe his last name is one given specifically to bastard kids.

by Anonymousreply 9404/04/2013

[quote]Jon Snow is known as the bastard child, I believe his last name is one given specifically to bastard kids.

Yes, that was established in the first episode. Referencing the theory of Jon's parentage; I was stating how it has always been presented as fact that Ned is Jon's father (with Catelyn, Robert and Jaime all mentioning Ned fathering a child outside of his marriage) so I never considered that it wasn't the case. It was only when Sean Bean mentioned it in an interview that I knew Ned wasn't Jon's father.

by Anonymousreply 9504/04/2013

Sean Bean was just talking. Most actors in these series often don't know the plotlines or the outcomes for their characters.

Although, I remember when he was sending Jon off to the Night's Watch, and he said he'd tell him about his mother soon. Then he got his head chopped off.

But I agree it's highly possible Jon is Ned's sister's son. The one who King Robert fell in love with. Her story was always that the crazy king had kidnapped her, but I think there's more to the story.

Noone except possible Jamie Lannister knows. He was there and Robert & Ned are dead. Tywin may know, but probably not. Caitlyn doesn't know. She hates Jon bcz she thinks Jon is Ned's bastard.

Maybe Varys or Littlefinger knows,or that lecherous old guy. It seemed, with the books that it was always part of the background noise, but there was never a compelling discussion about it.

by Anonymousreply 9604/04/2013

You no NOTHING, Jon Snow!

by Anonymousreply 9704/04/2013

[quote]You no NOTHING, Jon Snow!

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 9804/04/2013

Daenerys Targaryen

Daenerys Stormborn

Dany

The Queen Across the Sea

Mother of Dragons

Khaleesi...

Bitch has more aliases than Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher!

by Anonymousreply 9904/04/2013

Actually, R96, there's more evidence in the books. SPOILERS ahead.... Ned's sister was hidden away in a tower in the south for nearly a year, where no one but Rhaegar saw her. After he died, it was Ned and his friend Howland Reed who found her as she was dying. It hasn't been stated exactly how she died, but I would assume from childbirth. Not long after, Ned shows up in the north with a new baby. Howland goes into hiding in Greywater Watch. It's his children who show up this season to help and guide Bran.

by Anonymousreply 10004/04/2013

No spoilers from the books in the TV show threads, please/

Spoilers should only go in the Game of Thrones spoilers threads.

by Anonymousreply 10104/05/2013

I didn't know that it was a generally accepted theory, R88. Actually, I didn't give it much thought.

I had some vague idea that the Kaleesi and Jon Snow would get together. It could be problematic if he's Raegar's son.

Anyway - whatever - we'll see eventually. In the meantime, the series is certainly entertaining and the books are fun. I don't know much about the jandra other than the Tolkien books I read as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 10204/05/2013

Ha, R102. It wouldn't be too problematic considering her own parents were brother and sister.

by Anonymousreply 10304/05/2013

The incest thing is very common with the Targaryens.

by Anonymousreply 10404/05/2013

When Ned was investigating the death of the Hand before him,he went thru that book and realized all King Robert's kids were blondes and discovered the incest. Then you have the Kaleesi and her brother, both blondes from the Targarean House.

So if Jon Snow has Ned's sister's blood and the Mad King, Dani's father's blood, wouldn't Jon be blonde too? Because I was thinking that Jon Snow is indeed Ned's sister's kid, but I believed that King Robert was his true father.

Maybe he got her pregnant before she was captured and no one knew it. Ned would never want the Lannisters involved and since Robert married Cersei for the money, Ned kept the baby and lied to Robert and Caitlyn.

by Anonymousreply 10504/05/2013

It's been noted that Jon takes after Ned in the looks department, but also that Ned and his sister looked alike... That may not really be represented well in the casting choices, but there you go.

My theory about Robert is that Ned's sister never even loved him. Robert was obsessed with her, but she didn't feel the same. Rhaegar swept her off her feet and Robert jealously called it "kidnapping".

If Jon were Robert's, I feel like Ned would have told him, and Robert would have legitimized him or something.. Unless Ned felt like the Lannisters would pose too much of a threat.

by Anonymousreply 10604/06/2013

R105 Not all Targaryens were blondes, some of them in the past had dark hair, inherited from their mothers, if they were not from Targaryens blood themselves.

Also I doubt that Ned's sister would do the nasty with Robert before marriage. It was implied that she didn't love Robert, and for sure she didn't trust him that he would be a good husband. She suspected that he would never change and would cheat on her soon after their marriage.

by Anonymousreply 10704/06/2013

R105, King Robert's kids are not blondes. The book stated they all had dark hair.

by Anonymousreply 10804/06/2013

Yeah that's how we know Joffrey isn't his

by Anonymousreply 10904/06/2013

Yes, well that's what I said, R107 and R108. Maybe I wasn't real clear? I said that if Jon Snow was related to Dani he might be blonde like she and her brother were, but if he were Robert & Ned's sister's kid he'd be dark.

I believe he is Ned's sister's kid simply based on their last conversation. When Ned said toJon, "You have my blood." and "one day I'll tell you about your mother." This is a contrastto how he and Robert talked about the girl he "knocked up" as "some serving wench." I had the feeling Robert was fishing that time when they were sat under the trees eating.

My point is, so few people are around who would know the truth now. That maybe Robert was Jon's true father, and Ned kept it from him since he married Cersei and Ned didn't want his sister's kid raised near any Lannisters.

Robert clearly had loads of bastards running around. Until Jeoffrey killed most of them. Ned Probably knew his friend Robert too well and wouldn't want the kid to be an afterthought like Robert's other bastards.

If he were raised near court or in court,the kid's life would have been in danger, too, if Robert would've been carrying on about Ned's dead sister and this kid is all that's left of her. Cersei would've gone apeshit.

So it was best that Ned just take his sister's kid, and bring him home away from all the King's Landing madness, and raise him properly.

by Anonymousreply 11004/06/2013

I understood what you were saying R105, you were clear in your post. :) I just wanted to point that dark hair doesn't mean that Jon can't be Targaryen, because thare was a lot of Targaryens with dark hair in the past, they didn't always have those blonde/silver hair.

I really doubt that Robert is Jon's father. It was rather clear that Lyanna (Ned's sister) didn't love him and wasn't happy that he is going to be her husband. I doubt that she would agree to have sex with him before marriage. There are hints in books about Rhaegar being possibly Jon's father, but nothing about Robert.

by Anonymousreply 11104/06/2013

"It's a shame the throne isn't made out of cocks. They'd have never got him off it."

LOL, fucking Jaime! (referring to Renly)

by Anonymousreply 11204/07/2013

There's a new thread for tonight's show, r112:

by Anonymousreply 11304/07/2013

Wasn't it great seeing Bran shoot the bow and arrow with his hot brothers?

by Anonymousreply 11404/08/2013

The official story is, Rhaeger kidnapped Lyanna from her husband Robert, Ned and some cohorts find her being guarded by some of Rhaeger's guards, Ned fights to free her, Lyanna dies. Then, at some other vague point in the war, Ned comes home with a bastard son.

Fan speculation is, Lyanna loved Rhaeger, not her husband Robert. Ned found her protected by Rhaeger's guards because she had given birth to his son and heir. Lyanna somehow died and made Ned promise to protect her son. So Ned had to obscure his identity since that son would, by blood, be a rival to Robert's new dynasty. So he lied and pretended he was his bastard. That boy, and Targaryen heir, is Jon Snow.

That is JUST A THEORY, and it is based on the contents of the first book alone, so it is not a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 11504/08/2013

Yes, R103 & R104, I know the Targaryens are incest fans but I don't think the Starks are and Jon Snow was raised by Ned Stark.

by Anonymousreply 11604/08/2013

I know it will be years before the Stark family is reunited and it makes me sad. Can't help it.

by Anonymousreply 11704/09/2013

What a great episode. Theon's butt is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 11804/14/2013

Fuck off R119. You try this every week.

by Anonymousreply 12004/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.