Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I Love You Philip Morris.

I hope it becomes a cult classic. Just saw it, I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 4004/21/2013

It was great. I love it

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

I saw it in the theatre OP, and I too loved it.

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

Love this movie. If you see it don't read about it, just see it.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

GREAT film and as much a "traditional" romance as any B&W heartstring-tugger on TCM. Jim's best role and one of Ewan's best.

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

it is beautiful. I can't believe the sentence he recieved. He should be working for the CIA.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

Jim Carroll told John Casablancas " I want to make a movie with a kid" and this is what they came up with. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

Me, too, OP. I can't stand Jim Carrey, but I thought he was absolutely brilliant in this film; there were many moments where I was laughing so hard I almost fell out of my chair. At the same time, I was totally enthralled with the romance between these two men. Carrey should've been nominated for Best Actor and McGregor for Supporting Actor.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

I loved it so much I got the book. It's a great story.

I am always in awe of guys like Steven Russell (from this story) and Frank Abagnale (from "Catch Me If You Can") who had the brains and the giant balls to do the things they did.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

I also read the book. Too bad Steven Russell couldn't funnel his talents and expertise into a more socially accepted venue. A wasted opportunity.

Carrey and McGregor were exceptional in their roles and I had to remind myself that this was based on 'actual events' - similar to Catch me if you Can. If it wasn't for the gay theme of the story, it might have gotten more buzz.

go to Netflix and add it to your queue.

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

I haven't seen the movie, but did see the episode of "I Almost Got Away With It" and found the whole story hilarious (and uplifting). I could definitely see why they made it into a movie, I just don't know if I want to see it starring Jim Carey.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

I normally avoid Jim Carrey but he was perfect in this. I even liked Apatow's wife.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

I thought the movie was going to be a piece of shit but I actually enjoyed it. Jim Carrey was quite good and Ewan McGregor was at his must luscious.

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

r10, trust us, Carrey will surprise you how good he is. There are moments -- such as the meeting in the judge's quarters -- where his performance is akin to the masters of silent comedy. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2013

What were the sex scenes like?

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

R14, you could tell the sex scenes were edited. Apparently they did so a few times b/c "ew gay". It really is a beautiful movie and story. I'd love to write the real Steven and give him some money on his prison books to get some Ramen noodles or highlighter markers.

I didn't think I liked Jim Carrey but then I realized that ILYPM, Spotless Mind and Truman Show are some of my favorite movies.

I do think this is a movie that could definitely be a classic.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

So there were no love scenes? I'll take a pass at watching the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

that movie sucked.

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2013

No, there were love scenes, actually a few hot ones and some really sweet kissing scenes but they the director was told to edit them down for the masses. He did leave in one graphic detail in a boat scene which was played for laughs but I found sort of hot.

by Anonymousreply 1804/01/2013

[quote] No, there were love scenes, actually a few hot ones and some really sweet kissing scenes but they the director was told to edit them down for the masses.

Then the movie is not graphic enough for me to see.

by Anonymousreply 1904/01/2013

Why, you can't watch a movie without touching your noodle?

by Anonymousreply 2004/01/2013

Gay love story should have graphic, explicit sex scenes. Period.

No sex, I'm not going to see.

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2013

I agree, that's a really weird reason not to see the movie. It's a gay love story. And a lovely one at that. Plus the movie is subversive and funny. But R17's thoughtful critique is making me rethink my entire opinion.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

Gay love story should have REALISTIC scenes of man on man sex.

Not a hug or a short kiss.

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

So, if somebody made a gay romantic comedy as good as The More the Merrier or Roman Holiday but no sex scenes, you still wouldn't watch it?

That's silly.

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2013

R23, Ewan spits a load of Jim's cum over the side of a boat after a blowjob. Is that graphic enough for you?

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013

[quote] The More the Merrier or Roman Holiday

I never watched those movies.

by Anonymousreply 2604/01/2013

No R25 because the blow-job is not really captured in screen.

by Anonymousreply 2704/01/2013

"I am always in awe of guys like Steven Russell (from this story) and Frank Abagnale (from "Catch Me If You Can") who had the brains and the giant balls to do the things they did."

I find them fascinating, and want to add Ferdinand "The Great Impostor" Demara to the list. But I find them more pathological than admirable; these people are hugely intelligent but they not only lack boundaries, but a real identity.

And when someone started a thread about underappreciated actors, I named Jim Carrey. He really can do the most amazing stuff if he has a good role, and he's just amazing in this film! So much intensity and intelligence, and just the right amount of weird.

by Anonymousreply 2804/01/2013

r23, get thee to Netflix asap and rent them. If the only romantic comedies you've been exposed to are those made within the last decade, The More the Merrier and Roman Holiday will blow your mind.

by Anonymousreply 2904/01/2013

The European cut must be different because there's that scene of Carrey really pounding that guy - not Ewan - from behind.

by Anonymousreply 3004/01/2013

r30, that was in the American cut. I don't know what these people are referring to. There is sex in the film, it's just not Shortbus or even Basic Instinct level sex.

by Anonymousreply 3104/01/2013

I saw it in the theater when it came out, I thought it was a great movie. There was no hype for it at all and little to no talk about it after release. Such a shame as I agree with the other posters. Really great acting by both leads and an amazing sweet love story. I wish they would re release it and give it the attention it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 3204/01/2013

LOGO is currently running "Philip Morris," though somewhat censored.

by Anonymousreply 3304/01/2013

Other than the perv who needs penetrating closeups.of anuses, this is the most positive reaction to a movie on DL.

by Anonymousreply 3404/01/2013

I saw this when it came out in theaters. I don't remember any sex scenes so if there were any they did not stand out. What did stand out was how crappy this movie is.

by Anonymousreply 3504/01/2013

Count me in as another who saw the film in its original release in the theater, LOVED it, and can't imagine why there wasn't more hype (even controversial hype) at the time.

If you haven't seen it, you're really missing something fun and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 3604/01/2013

[quote] you're really missing something fun and sexy.

How can it be sexy when there is no sex?

by Anonymousreply 3704/01/2013

What people expect from a movie that was practically buried by its own producers and distributor?

It just takes one person or component to potentially screw up a project's success.

by Anonymousreply 3804/01/2013

I'm first class hater and I'm always thoughtful enough to include reasons. Saying something sucks isn't persuasive. Even a 5 year old will give details such as "beets are yucky, they taste like dirt.

by Anonymousreply 3904/01/2013

I usually hate Jim Carrey 'vehicles' but I thought he was good in this. Ewan steals the film from under him, however, as the adorable Phillip. Good fun film that should have done a lot better than it did. But it's a step in the right direction, and no doubt there will be more gay-themed love stories in the future because this has a cult following now.

by Anonymousreply 4004/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.