Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Any tricks on getting water bugs out of your apartment?

Over the past couple weeks I've noticed bugs around the sink and kitchen area of my apartment. They aren't roaches, but look like smaller versions and seem to be attracted to the water in the sink.

Any trick fellow New Yorkers have getting rid of these pests? Any traps that work especially well?

I'm going to do a deep clean off the kitchen area this week, but any other tips are great appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 2604/02/2013

They are roaches. In NYC "waterbugs" and in the South "Palmetto Bugs," all roaches. Nasty.

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2013

No, but water bugs are a great way to get tricks out of your apartment when they've overstayed their welcome.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

OP, your 'fellow New Yorkers" don't call bugs smaller than roaches "water bugs." Water bugs are very large roaches.

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

Waterbugs are huge - roaches don't come close to the size of a waterbug. And waterbugs either fly or jump, always a matter of debate in NYC, and are the ugliest critters in the world. You might have silverfish in your sink.

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

OP They sound like German roaches as opposed to the southern Palmetto bug or water bug which is capable of flight. There are many "home style" remedies which you can Google now that you know what they are. The good news id that they are easier to deal with than the big creepy ones. The best of luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

OP, try Combat traps (available at Target, Home Depot, etc). I had a problem with palmetto/water bugs in my garage for years, tried every kind of spray, and a DLer recommended these traps. They're actually little black squares filled with poisoned food, which the bugs then carry back to the colony to share, and then they all die. I put them out one afternoon, and by the next evening there were no more palmetto bugs to be seen. Change them every three or four months and never be troubled again.

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

Combats aren't traps, they're bait stations

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

Are they solid black, op?

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

[quote]Combats aren't traps, they're bait stations

Yeah, I knew I was misspeaking in calling them traps, but the phrase for what what they were wasn't coming to me. Anyway, I'm sure the OP gets the point.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

OP, every smart New Yorker has the number of a good exterminator on speed dial.

If you live in a rental apartment, legally your landlord must provide an exterminator to visit your apartment and spray free of charge at least once every other month; more often if you request it.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

American cockroach = big roach - sometimes called waterbug, Palmetto bug.

German cockroach - small/medium sized roach.

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

A bug flew into my ear last night, and it still hasn't come out. I think it was more of a gnat thing, though.

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2013

In Germany, German cockroach = French cockroach. In France, the opposite is true.

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

One towel, turkey meatballs. They'll leave.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

R15 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

OMG, OMG, OMG! I cannot think of a single thing more GROSS than that!!!

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2013

I thrust my hands forward and yell "Git! Git! Git!"

by Anonymousreply 1804/01/2013

A few bottle caps filled with boric acid.

by Anonymousreply 1904/01/2013

They taste like caviar and peanut skins.

Go ahead. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

by Anonymousreply 2004/01/2013

I just google imaged German Cockroach, and those are definitely what I have.

Thanks for the tips about Combat traps/bait stations. I'll look into getting a few of those.

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2013

Those big ones that fly are damn scary.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

OP, my first house had those, hated them. I had a good exterminator (odd, he was German) and he recommended after his treatment, to throw a little bleach in the standing drains in the basement. My plumber later told me that it's good to use bleach in your other drains too, it helps degrade build up.

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

OP, seriously, another route is using borax.

We had a big old house and never had any issues except in the basement around the sewers. My mother always used borax similar to what's in the link, and that took care of things. For many years. And my mother was one of the all-time uncommitted, pick-the-crumbs-up-tomorrow housekeepers.

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2013

Borax = boric acid mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013

Yes, R25. Oopsie.

by Anonymousreply 2604/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!