Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Keeping older or chubby cats clean

Does anyone bathe their cat? I have an aging female kitty who is sorta fat. She has trouble doing the reacharound and getting her back licked clean. I comb her and a ton of hair comes off in the brush (she's a fluffy cat). And I've been noticing lots of oily dandruff flakes. I hope she's not uncomfortable and unable to tell me.

Are there any products to do this? Like some sort of vacuum brush? Though I don't know if that would frighten her.

by TIAreply 3204/02/2013

Is it a white cat? Because Clorox can be very effective.

by TIAreply 103/31/2013

Does she have a clean bill of health? Diabetes or kidney disease can cause those dandruff flakes too.

I have had to bathe my old girl because the parts she couldn't get to became matted and and flaky and it was simply easier to start over with clean skin/hair. She didn't like any more than she ever has, but I know she felt better afterward. There is no way she couldn't have.

by TIAreply 203/31/2013

I would upgrade your cat food. Maybe even take her to the vet to get her thyroid checked - may be a problem there (weight). I would not use a vacuum brush, as that may scare the poor thing, unless she's hearty sort. I also wouldn't bath her unless she's used to that. You may want to try one of those harder wire brushes, my cats love those and they go through everything. Good luck with your kitty!

by TIAreply 303/31/2013

Don't bother..

by TIAreply 403/31/2013

Yeah, I give my cat a bath now and again. I'd do it more often, but it's always upsetting for him, so I have to work up the courage.

After his fur dries, it's even softer and shinier than usual. Within a couple of hours he goes outside and rolls in dirt again, but I do think it's good for his fur.

by TIAreply 503/31/2013

A warm damp washcloth after the brushingses does wonders.

by TIAreply 603/31/2013

They sell pet wipes. I use them on my fat cat's hiney

by TIAreply 703/31/2013

I used a warm, damp washcloth on my cat in her golden years. She loved it. I'd call it kitty spa time. Later, when she lost her hearing completely, I'd vacuum her with the little brush attachment. She liked that too, but used to run and hide from the vacuum when she could hear.

by TIAreply 904/01/2013

[quote]kitty who is sorta fat

So your cat's too fat to wipe his own ass?

How about not feeding it so much and then save the money you formerly spent on food to take the cat to the vet.

Once you get a clean bill of health send the cat to the pound, because you aren't taking care of it well, and death is certainly a better option than life with you.

by TIAreply 1004/01/2013

For dandruff you should give your cat some sort of fish oil supplement. My kitty is 16 and I just squirt the oil in her dry food now and then...it's made a real difference.

by TIAreply 1104/01/2013

My cat hasn't been home since 4AM! What is he doing? Was he eaten by a coyote? Did a snake get him? Did he find another home? He is dirty and his Advantage did not work last month.

by TIAreply 1204/01/2013

What is the problem? We're talking about cats: when they old, fat or dirty, just throw them out.

by TIAreply 1304/01/2013

Cut the fur around his asshole.

by TIAreply 1404/01/2013

R14, by "his asshole," presumably you mean his anus, rather than his owner.

by TIAreply 1504/01/2013

Exactly, cats. Cats are the most important species on the planet...how could you not know that, r13?

by TIAreply 1604/01/2013

I wash my cat about once every 2 weeks, with moisturizing baby shampoo

I do it because he likes sleeping in my bed, but is also active and his if his fur/skin gets dry, he sheds alot

He is a Siamese mix, but has shorter fur than some mix's. His fur is very shiny though. The dark parts of his fur is shiny, and his fur is vey silky all over. Everyone who comes over wonders what I do/ what special treats I give him to make him look so healthy. It's just his normal cat food and a bi-weekly quick bath

by TIAreply 1704/01/2013

If your cat is fat, it's YOUR fault.

Since you provide the food for your cat, every extra pound it carries was caused by you putting too much food in your cats bowl. Sorry to be harsh OP, but it's true. You gotta have a tough love approach to keep your kitty healthy

by TIAreply 1804/01/2013

Chubby Katz? I thought he retired from the Borscht Belt comedy circuit.

by TIAreply 1904/01/2013

Squirt your chunky cat with the hose.

Hose him down!

by TIAreply 2004/01/2013

"If your cat is fat, it's YOUR fault"

She's elderly and not as active now, so she has a few extra pounds. I let her eat what she wants because she's 13 and I want her final years to be happy.

by TIAreply 2104/01/2013

Our cat shelter recently adopted out an older cat with a terrible dandruff issue. She also drank tons of water. The shelter claimed they tested her for diabetes and she was healthy. She gets adopted, sees a vet, and the diagnosis is diabetes.

So yeah, get her checked out for health issues. While caring for the above-mentioned cat, I supplemented her wet food with fish oil and that helped a lot. Especially when she got it 4 or 5 times a week. Don't overdo it. If the directions are for one capsule daily for a human, it would make sense a cat would only need a small fraction of the capsule. I would usually split one capsule per 5 or 6 cats.

by TIAreply 2204/01/2013

I met a guy yesterday, his cat is 21. You may be killing your 13 year old, with kindness.

by TIAreply 2304/01/2013

All of these posts could help the next soul mate of Andy Cohen!

by TIAreply 2404/01/2013

And yes, if she can't clean herself, do all you can. Wipe, brush and if you can, trim the fur in the area. Shit-matted fur is an awful indignity for cats. They are by nature, fastidious about cleaning themselves. Don't let your cat live with dingleberries.

Your cat is a senior but 13 isn't all that old. Many cats live to their late teens. Keep her weight in check so she can enjoy a few more years. If you can and health permitting, get her away from the dry food (potato chips for cats) and rely on good quality canned food. Even so, the cheapest brand of canned food is better for your cat than any brand of expensive kibble.

by TIAreply 2504/01/2013

I love cats, but I agree with r13.

by TIAreply 2604/01/2013

Thanks R22/R25 - my male cat has become overweight on a diet of dry food. I tried using weight control kibble, but he just wanted more of it. He acts like he's always hungry - which makes sense, if all he eats are kitty potato chips!

He's eaten canned food a few times. I noticed he took a long time to eat it, and he seemed more satiated. I adopted him from a rescue group and their representative told me he should only have dry food. Even his vet said dry food was OK.

by TIAreply 2704/02/2013

POST REJECTED

by TIAreply 2804/02/2013

R27, vets aren't always up on nutrition. It may be the case the vet thinks dry food is okay but is it optimal?

I would confirm why the rescue group thought your cat should only eat dry food. Was it a specific health reason your cat should only eat dry food?

Google canned food versus dry food for cats and you'll see why canned food is generally better for your cats.

Btw, my cats do eat dry food. They love it and I have to keep it on hand for when I travel (the cat sitter only visits once a day so I use an auto feeder to supplement their one feeding of wet food). But I limit the dry food to one afternoon snack and treats. My cats eat canned food in the morning and night as their main meals. And yes, I have a slightly chubby cat who is the dry food fiend. According to the vet, she's at a healthy weight but she is visibly heavier than her lithe sister. Well the heavier one can be a bit of hog when it comes to the afternoon dry food snack. She is always first on the scene and will often crowd out the skinny one. Even when the skinny one gets to the two section plate, the heavier one will gobble up her own portion and then use her paw to swipe kibbles from her sister's part of the plate. Sneaky fat cat. This unequal division of one snack per day has made a marked difference in the weights of my two cats.

When I'm home and I see my skinny cat crowded out of her part of the snack, I give her a push towards the plate. But I think, more often than not, she ends up watching her sister gobble up the dry food. It's something I can't figure out because my skinny cat is the alpha cat and often bullies her heavier sister out of territory/toys. She's the dominant one--except when it comes to eating from the autofeeder.

by TIAreply 2904/02/2013

Yikes r10

by TIAreply 3004/02/2013

Cats shouldn't eat dry kibble because they didn't evolve a good thirst mechanism to make up for the lack of water in their diet. Cats in the wild get most of their fluids from their prey's bodies.

There is a significant amount of research that indicates that kidney disease in cats is precipitated by long term dehydration.

My cat lived to 20 and stopped eating kibble altogether around age 13 - the age after which I stopped leaving it out for her to snack on. She ate almost exclusively wet food, including raw meat, after about 10 or so. The raw diets now available commercially are really good.

Skin dryness in cats can be helped by either refined coconut oil (if the cat will eat it; some like it just as a treat) or sardine oil (full of Omega fatty acids and less contaminated than Pacific salmon.) Good pet stores sell sardine oil and raw diets.

by TIAreply 3104/02/2013

R29, R31 are correct about canned vs dry.

The regular bathing in moisturizing shampoo in another post is not optimum. The cat is licking up the remnants 24/7 and it can also interfere with their heating and cooling and natural skin oils and wound healing mechanisms.

Regular bathing is not at all recommended for cats unless there is a medical reason, and particularly not to compensate for correctable nutritional deficiencies that result in skin or coat problems.

by TIAreply 3204/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.