Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I am searching for an indoor tree.

Something for my living room. Something big, bold, and dramatic. Not a fucking ficus tree or a god damn fern.

What should I get? A fruit tree? What do you suggest? Cunty answers are amusing, but serious ones are also appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 2604/02/2013

Try a fig tree.

Not all that many varieties of trees grow indoors in nature.

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

If you are in NYC the USQ market has great indoor trees everything from lemon to a lot of trees I don't know the names of. It all depends on how much sun you get. I've seen a number of rubber trees in apartments.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

There are varieties of citrus that are suitable for pot culture. How tall are we talking, OP?

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

Get a fake tree. There's nothing worse than leaves all over the damn place, and real trees need a lot of light. You don't want to know what it's like when a real tree has bugs or aphids infesting it, yes it can happen indoors.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

[quote] How tall are we talking, OP?

A maximum of about 8 feet.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

Schefflera do quite well indoors.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

OP, if you wewe a twee, what kind of twee would you be?

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

How about a big marijuana plant?

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

This depends on how much sun you have. If you don't think there is enough light, the suggestion to try an artificial plant is a good one. The ones made today are very real looking, and difficult to tell from a living plant unless you look closely.

You did ask about the real thing, so here goes:

Try a Fiddle-leaf Fig. It has BIG leaves that resemble very large oak leaves.

Also, not a tree, but capable of growing VERY large with large leaves is the Cut-leaved philodendron. Selloum philodendrons are also dramatic and don't require as much light as many plants. Plus, they can get very BIG!

Fan Palms are dramatic.

If you have sun, try a Bay leaf tree. The bonus there is you will always have the freshest bay leaves if like to cook.

Dracaenas grow big fast and can look dramatic. The common varieties that grow big can get by with much less light and still grow well.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

tree bump

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

Get a Charlie Brown tree.

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

Can anyone tell me what kind of tree this is?

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2013

Pretentious and soulless, r13.

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

A tree is pretentious? You sound like a lot of fun, R14.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

I like it too, r13.

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

Lots of fun, r15. Both my cats and I are naked.

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2013

Isn't that Charlie Brown's Christmas tree?

by Anonymousreply 1804/01/2013

Love the tree and planter at R13.

by Anonymousreply 1904/01/2013

Can I grow a lime tree inside a NYC apartment? I have a northern exposure in one room and a western exposure in the other. I could get some sort of a light (right?) but I don't like the idea of keeping a lightbulb burning all day while I'm not there.

by Anonymousreply 2004/01/2013

I like the tree at R13 too. Don't listen to R14. I suspect he just learned a new word today and cant stop using it every chance he gets.

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2013

Tapas Tree

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

r13's tree looks like it belongs in a psychiatrist's office. You need a magnolia tree. Something Southern and decadent.

by Anonymousreply 2304/02/2013

Plant your own tree!

by Anonymousreply 2404/02/2013

Rubber Tree Plant. They grow fast and as long as they get sun you can't kill them.

by Anonymousreply 2504/02/2013

Here are my ideas: yucca elephantipes. I used to have one but didn't like it. You might, though. Needs sun.

I second philodendron or dracaena. I have both. What I have aren't trees, but they both got quite big over time. The dracaena was just called bamboo at the store. 8 small pegs woven together and a few years later (and never fertilized), it's 4.5 feet high (above the pot) and lush. There is no true bamboo for inside. They're all dracaenas, but look the part.

Then my philodendron, which has also fleshed out quite a bit over time. I had to offer it support. Big, luscious heart-shaped leaves. I have a mini jungle. I don't let it touch the wall vertically because I've read they will stick to the wall over time. You could do a philodendron on the ground (no small children or animals around to eat it, right?). I have mine atop a bookshelf and it takes over part of my ceiling now. Everyone who visits loves it. (I do have to support branches with little pins in the ceiling and incognito string to hold the branches.)

Google image philodendrons and dracaenas to get ideas of what you can do with them.

by Anonymousreply 2604/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!