Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Professional chefs

Why do so many of them smoke cigarettes? It dulls your taste buds like crazy. I'd think chefs would never smoke, but it seems like a majority of them do. Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

I've often wondered that as well. MAybe that's why they all put massive amounts of salt to taste it. What famous chefs smoke? Bourdain supposedly quit

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

Reduces appetite

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

Stress.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

Have you ever worked in a kitchen. Total Fucking Stress.

Plus, they're all drunks.

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

I think that the profession attracts people from the lower classes of society and smoking is just part of that culture. I know that sounds pretentious as hell. If you look at the people that participate in Hell's Kitchen nearly all of them smoke and all of them are honestly kind of trashy to put not so nice a face on it. I think stress is a big part of it as well. When you are cooking at home, preparing diner may take anywhere from 30-45 minutes, while in a restaurant setting a line cook needs to make the same meal in like 5 minutes so you are under a lot of time constraints, and you have to make sure that it is fully cooked, etc.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

See R3, incredibly intensive periods of stress then recovery.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

Someone needs to pull r5 's pearls out of her cunt and strangle her with them.

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

I agree with the stress. Working in a kitchen is crazy stressful because everyone wants their food absolutely perfect and right fucking now. Anyplace that has even a modest dinner service is going to have at least a little piece of hell almost every night.

Plus it's hot, and you are constantly around food that you cannot eat for maybe hours, depending on the shift.

Also, I would say it is the most convenient excuse to get out of the kitchen for a few minutes. It's not uncommon for all the smokers to come and go while the non-smokers are the ones who have to cover for them straight through, or at least that has been my (extremely annoying) experience.

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2013

Yeah, so many chefs also seem to drink too much.

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

Cigarettes are the lesser of their addictions. All the chefs and kitchen staff I've known have had substance abuse issues to some extent.

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

Has anyone here worked in a kitchen and found that it ruined the whole restaurant experience and you don't want to eat in restaurants anymore? (I feel this way)

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

Good chefs = great cocaine. Love me some good chefs

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

I understand a professional kitchen is incredibly stressful, but no one would START smoking once they get there if they weren't a smoker to begin with, would they?

I guess I asked my original question because I know how incredibly important a sensitive palate is to a chef. They need the ability to taste, correct the flavors, and taste again -- and present something that is extraordinary again and again. If their taste buds are dulled because of smoking, that would seem to be decidedly counterproductive, no?

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

I know a great chef, no cigs, a little wine and his weight is under control. Very zen personality.

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.