Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The original release of "The Shining"

What did you elderbitches think about it?

by Anonymousreply 6307/25/2013

I was only 14 in 1980 and lived in a hick town. No access to a movie theater.

I probably first saw it on TV, edited with commercials.

It's one of my favorites now. I love the huge scale of everything, the snow, the isolation. The way Kubrick let's scenes play out naturally, instead of worrying that the audience will grow bored. Some of us don't have ADD.

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

I'm an elder bitch and I loved it. My friends didn't.

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

I wasn't born when the movie came out, but it is my all time favorite movie. There's something relaxing about it and a good movie to watch when I can't sleep.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

There are so many creepy symbols in it you can miss. When Danny tells the therapist about his friend, he is lying on a bear pillow (like the costumed guest giving head) and the bear pillow's eyes look like the floor indicator on the elevator doors that spew blood! Look for it

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

Biggest shock was the casual way the "N" word rolled off of both the evil Brit ghost's tongue and how Nicholson's character repeats it.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

R4 I never noticed that and I've seen the movie literally about a hundred times!

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

R5 Why is that a shock? Evil people are always going to act like what they say or do is perfectly normal. The actors played those scenes well.

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

The 'N' word. Nothing makes my eyes roll more. Cunt, fag, whore, bitch, etc etc...'N' word. LOLZ.

Anyway..I read the book about the time it was released but was unaware at the time that it was released. At that age I was more Porky's than The Shining at the movies. I've seen it as an adult and thinks it's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2013

R8 I agree. People throw around those other words like no big deal, but "nigger" is supposed to be shocking and off limits?

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

I don't remember the original release, but I remember the television premiere on ABC. The intro scared the shit out of me. It was fifteen years before I watched the actual movie.

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

I remember being shocked by what happened to Scatman, disappointed by the ending and yet I thought some of the visuals were really good.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

Incredible book by King.

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

Shelley Duvall and Jack Nicholson as a couple were miscast.

I could not see what each of these people saw in each other that they would have become a couple.

The book was better, though.

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

Hated it. Left out way too many interesting and critical details from the book. Overacted by Nicholson, whose performance was overhyped. ("Here's Johnny!" Really?) Anti-climactic ending/death. Shelly Duvall? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1403/31/2013

Saw it in NYC in 1980, I was 24. Didn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 1503/31/2013

R14 makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 1603/31/2013

The buzz around it made it sound so frightening I was afraid to go see it in the theater. I wish I had now. It would have been quite a show on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 1703/31/2013

There is a convincing essay that purports Kubrick was suggesting Nicholson's character molested his son. Lots of clues in various shots.

by Anonymousreply 1803/31/2013

I was disappointed that it wasn't closer to the book, but loved it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1903/31/2013

R18, I wouldn't be surprised. He physically harmed the son and the mother played it down with the psychiatrist. Shelley Duval was a complete mistake.

It was ok. King's books used to scare the hell out of me. The first one I read was Salem's Lot. I had to read it in the living room when family was around. The stories never translated well to the screen.

The scariest scene was the blow job scene for some reason. When the bear turns and looks at the boy (I think) it was like the head coming out of the sunken boat in Jaws.

by Anonymousreply 2003/31/2013

If you live in the NYC area, you probably already know about the film Room 237 . . .

by Anonymousreply 2103/31/2013

I think it was regarded almost instantly as a classic, IIRC. Kubrick had previously directed 2001 and Clockwork Orange, both of them well received although the latter ran into difficulty over violence. Then came Barry Lyndon, which was beautiful but widely regarded as stupendously boring. The Shining was a welcome rebirth, at a time when Kubrick's reputation was at its height. He never made a great movie again, although his work remained fascinating.

My impression is that Kubrick didn't care all that much about fidelity to his source material; usually he saw a story as an armature for his own ideas. The Shining, which is perhaps the best thing that King ever wrote, was no exception in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 2203/31/2013

Bette Davis hated it!

by Anonymousreply 2303/31/2013

Shelley Duvall's character swinging that bat reminds me of the LA Dodgers.

by Anonymousreply 2403/31/2013

[quote]Bette Davis hated it!

She was probably jealous that her attempt at horror, "Burnt Offerings", a few years before was a total flop.

by Anonymousreply 2503/31/2013

[quote]Hated it. Left out way too many interesting and critical details from the book. Overacted by Nicholson, whose performance was overhyped. ("Here's Johnny!" Really?) Anti-climactic ending/death. Shelly Duvall? WTF?

This. I haven't viewed the entire movie because what I have seen was just so bad. It may be considered a classic by many, yet it strikes me as being grossly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 2603/31/2013

It was the first time I noticed Jack's using all his "Jack" tics he would use over the years. He was never a character to me beginning with The Shining, just Jack, tic-ing. That's what shone brightest for me.

by Anonymousreply 2703/31/2013

Shelley Duvall is absolutely brilliant in the film.

by Anonymousreply 2803/31/2013

Dreadful.

a. I agree with r27 about Nicholson. It is this film that creates the "Jack" how ends up dominating so many of Nicholson's performances for over 30 years. Watch "Prizi's Honor" for instance. Nicholson's performance is nothing more than an extension of what he does in "The Shining."

b. Everything was so over the top that you got the feeling Kubrick was having a laugh on the audience. Quite simply, he did not understand "The Shining" anymore than he did "A Clockwork Orange." In both literary works there is horror and violence, but Kubrick could not understand how to make them real and personal. What you get is exaggeration and an emphasis on the gratuitous.

c. "Barry Lyndon" Is actually much better than people think. There is a subtlety and an irony there that you do not find in Kubrick's latter work. I think that with "The Shining" Kubrick threw everything against the wall and hoped it would stick.

Wildly overrated as a filmmaker.

by Anonymousreply 2903/31/2013

I love BARRY LYNDON, R29. Especially the scene accompanying the Schubert Trio. Just marvelous.

by Anonymousreply 3003/31/2013

I'm sitting here laughing at people like R26 and R29 bitching about the film and calling it "dreadful". WTF were you expecting? Gone with the Wind? A Shakespeare adaptation?

FFS, some people just can't enjoy a movie the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 3103/31/2013

I love the way Duvall is costumed like a toddler womanchild.

by Anonymousreply 3203/31/2013

Fuck the two assholes in this thread who think saying the n-word is no big deal. YES it's ALWAYS off limits to racist pricks like you. Roll your eyes at that motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 3304/01/2013

The Shining was Kubrick's confession that we didn't go to the moon and he himself had directed the staged lunar landing on a film set. Don't believe me? His own wife admitted to it.

Throughout the film, you will see images of the Eagle and also Apollo 11 imagery.

We were in the middle of a very scary cold war with Russia and Nixon urgently wanted to beat them in the space race. It was very important at the time.

Now, we may have succeeded in sending up a lunar lander so yes, we did in fact make it to the moon. However, it is not believed that humans could evver have made the trip without dying from radiation poisoning. The Van Allen Belt is simply too dangerous for human travel.

One of the oddest videos you will ever see is the first press conference with the astronauts upon arriving back on earth. You would think they would be elated, but in fact seem embarrassed and unhappy.

Kubrick made Barry Lyndon using CIA and NASA technology as payment for the moon landing. Still, he lived the remainder of his life in fear and stayed a recluse until his death.

by Anonymousreply 3404/01/2013

Isn't there some documentary about people's reactions to it? Is it on DVD yet?

by Anonymousreply 3504/01/2013

The Diane Arbus girls were Grade A creepy.

Most disturbing of all though was the build-up and conclusion when Jack wanders into a remote room and sees the sexy woman in the bathtub. A brilliantly unnerving sequence.

It's odd that Kubrick seemingly never went back to America for decades. He would have US sports and sitcoms sent over on tape, and make hours-long calls to his homeland, but not travel.

Reclusive genius who didn't trust air travel, and had Warners come to him, of course. But I wonder what else.

by Anonymousreply 3604/01/2013

Funny I thought Shelley Duval was the best thing about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 3704/01/2013

I had read the book prior to the film coming out, and I remember thinking it wasn't as good as the book, but a good film nonetheless. But now I enjoy watching the movie around Halloween every year. It really has become iconic, and I didn't remember until re-reading the book a couple years ago that the twin girls aren't even in it! They are purely a Kubrick invention. Funny how that's the scene most people associate with The Shining now.

I want to see Room 237. Hope it comes to my city soon or at least put the fucker on Netflix. It came out in Jan 2012 at Sundance, what the hell is the hold up?!

by Anonymousreply 3804/01/2013

I thought the movie was brilliant. It was scary and camp. The dead girls scene and Jack in the bar was amazing. Jack chasing Shelley Duval with an axe is a classic.

by Anonymousreply 3904/01/2013

I was 8 when it came out, and didn't see it until much later in life. Love it. The only disappointing part was the shrieking wife lived.

by Anonymousreply 4004/01/2013

I saw it the first day, first matinee at 12:00 on Friday at Mann's Chinese. The movie was NOT critically well received and the audiences hated it, primarily because it was so loosely adapted from the King book that was so popular. Much was made in the audience about Duvall's homeliness, almost like they thought it was some kind of a joke.

And yes, I'm one of the few people in America who actually saw the controversial, now apparently lost forever ending.

It had Shelley in the hospital and Barry Nelson comes to visit her. Danny has apparently reverted back to the catatonic state he was in when he started screaming "Redrum" (that's disputed because another friend who saw it, says he wasn't but Danny doesn't speak in the scene). Nelson says that they searched the premises and found nothing, no Jack, no Halloran or anything else and suggests she had a mass hallucination. Then, as he leaves, he sees Danny and throws him the ball that lured Danny into Room 237. That sounds like something from the book where Wendy noted that Danny's shining was like a ball going from one hand to the other. Then, the final shot of Jack in the Overlook party photos.

Time has given "The Shining" its reputation and King's horrendous TV adapation certainly helped Kubrick's vision.

by Anonymousreply 4104/01/2013

[quote]I think it was regarded almost instantly as a classic

Ahhhh no. They foolishly opened it against "The Empire Strikes Back". It eeeked out $30 million and is all but forgotten except for the campy one line "Here's Johhny!".

by Anonymousreply 4204/01/2013

I was a kid and saw it in the theater. It made me creeped out whenever I saw twins.

by Anonymousreply 4304/01/2013

Imagine if it was remade with Heath Ledger as Jack.

by Anonymousreply 4404/01/2013

[quote] FFS, some people just can't enjoy a movie the way it is.

One of the stupidest things ever posted on DL.

by Anonymousreply 4504/01/2013

[quote]It...is all but forgotten

I haven't seen it in years, but can reel off many many more scenes than the couple I noted at R36. The film is nothing if not vividly memorable.

The Coen Brothers said the one genre they wouldn't touch is horror, since Kubrick left them nowhere to go.

Recently a longer version played in London, adding thirty minutes Kubrick felt he had to cut after opening. Hardly the screening of a forgotten film of no further interest.

by Anonymousreply 4604/01/2013

I was disappointed by the pace.

by Anonymousreply 4704/01/2013

I was in high school when it came out. Saw it with a bunch of friends after smoking an ungodly amount of pot. It wasn't scary to us. All we talked about afterward was the rather awesome Steadicam work (which we'd read an article about in Starlog or Fangoria or something). That, of all things, was the takeaway.

by Anonymousreply 4804/01/2013

The gorgeous opening sequence is the Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier National Park, Montana, except when they show the lodge exterior which is the Timberline Lodge in Mount Hood, Oregon.

by Anonymousreply 4904/01/2013

I was in college. It was not well reviewed at the time ('disappointing' would be the critical consensus) and audiences stayed away in droves, especially once they heard that there were substantive changes from the book.

What I remember most about seeing it the first time is some of the images (the elevators and the blood, the twins, Danny on his tricycle through the endless corridors) and Shelley Duvall's discovery of what Jack has been typing (a moment not in the book and therefore unexpected and shocking).

by Anonymousreply 5004/01/2013

"Shelley Duvall and Jack Nicholson as a couple were miscast."

They're supposed to be a mismatched couple. That's why they're UNHAPPY. Kubrick wasn't making a Doris Day rom-com.

I get the feeling it was a one night stand, she got pregnant and they "did the right thing" by getting hitched.

Shelley plays the classic enabler, trying to make the marriage work with a moody alcoholic husband.

You wonder how autobiographical this was for King: Writer wants to devote his full attention to his Craft, but gets stuck with a family and has to get a hack job to make ends meet. Depression ensues.

by Anonymousreply 5104/01/2013

I always assumed King was successful from the beginning and he is still with his first wife, so I don't think she presented a lot of problems for him. I admit, I never read a biography of him.

by Anonymousreply 5204/01/2013

Uh-uh, #52. Worked in a laundry, while the rejection slips piled up.

by Anonymousreply 5304/03/2013

"Worked in a laundry, while the rejection slips piled up."

Oh, well, it's good for an artist to suffer.

I'll never forgive Kubrick for killing off Hallorann - who was the only heroic figure in the book - so cheaply.

And "Danny on his tricycle through the endless corridors" was just too too much. Most of the movie was tedious and boring.

Kubrick, though a master in some respects, never brought humor to horror after LOLITA.

by Anonymousreply 5404/03/2013

Overrated and it under-delivered. That odd "blood-filled elevator" preview ran for a whole YEAR before the film opened. Most people I know found it cold, and dramatically underwhelming, which is still my opinion. I'm shocked it seems to have rabid modern fans. I think it's a solid C movie, and find it dull, dull, dull.

by Anonymousreply 5504/03/2013

This movie makes no FREAKIN A sense.

by Anonymousreply 5607/24/2013

The way Shelley Duvall ran was fucking hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 5707/24/2013

Jack Nicholson seemed too much like a country club preppie. He didn't have the right sense of menace at all for the role.

by Anonymousreply 5807/25/2013

It still creeps me out, I know many hate it, but it's still one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 5907/25/2013

Great

by Anonymousreply 6007/25/2013

I saw it on HBO at a friend's house when I was around 15.

The manner of death of Scatman's character horrified me the most and stuck with me a long time as did the twin girls.

I despised Shelley in this movie at the time but now many years later I get why Kubrick cast her.

by Anonymousreply 6107/25/2013

The only good part is the end.... where the kid is trying to outsmart his ax wielding father.

by Anonymousreply 6207/25/2013

Spoiler Alert:

Shelley Duvall was perfect for The Shining. They are so mismatched, that you get a sense of her being isolated and trapped long before they are literally trapped in the snowstorm. Their relationship is very uncomfortable and that contributes to the entire mood of the film. Having her be so helpless makes the suspense better, and every time I watch it I still get a feeling that she might not get away.

by Anonymousreply 6307/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.