Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cousin Was Diagnosed With Psychotic Depression

Ended up hospitalized. Has anyone experienced or know someone with psychotic depression? Self-harming was involved in this situation. Person is an adult.

by Anonymousreply 2904/01/2013

I've experienced it. It took being hospitalized for a few days and the right meds to snap me out of it. What would you like to know?

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

[quote]Has anyone experienced or know someone with psychotic depression?

You've certainly come to the right place.

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

r1, is it chronic? How do you get that deep into it to the point of psychosis? Is it part of another disorder like Bipolar or Schizophrenia? Is psychotic depression genetic? Everyone knows someone who's experienced depression to the point that they need medication, but is it a atypical group that go into psychosis from it?

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

Shoot him in the throat and let the dogs eat him, I don't care!

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

Cousin's female.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

Shoot her in the throat and let the dogs eat her, I don't care!

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

I've never heard of psychotic depression. I googled it and found this Medline entry on major depression with psychotic features, which I'm guessing is the official diagnostic term for what the OP is talking about.

I think that responsible mental health clinicians are trying to be a lot more cautious about how they label people and are classifying people's symptoms rather than trying to sum them up by saying they're bipolar or schizophrenic or have dissociative disorder or whatever. Anyway, the important thing isn't the label but matching up the person with the right treatments. I hope your cousin gets excellent help and pulls through this all right.

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

Believe it or not, a promising treatment for this type of depression is mifepristone, the abortion pill.

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2013

What is wrong with you, R6?

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

R3/OP - It happened slowly over a few months and I eventually lost touch with reality. In my case, it turned out to be part of my bipolar disorder. When it happened to me, I had not experienced a manic episode, but I did about 6 months later.

This all happened 30 years ago and it turned into psychotic depression because I had no idea what was happening to me and didn't ask for help, until I nearly killed myself.

In terms of genetics, depression tends to run in families. Both of my parents came from alcoholic families and a number of people suffered from depression or bipolar disorder.

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

She's on meds that are making her feel horrible when she takes them, then the next day she feels better.

She was preparing for suicide.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

Juuuust about everything, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

Is that like hysterical blindness?

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

One of my best friends has a teen aged son who got the same diagnosis, including self-harming. Turned out to be meth related.

by Anonymousreply 1403/31/2013

It means she has depression and suffered a psychotic break. Most likely, she has bipolar disorder. This is a very misunderstood illness.

They most likely didn't call it bipolar because they don't know yet what caused the psychotic break. For instance, someone could have depression, do illegal drugs and have a psychotic break. it can be caused by drug use, extreme intoxication, illness, brain tumor, etc. once they rule out other causes, they will probably give her a diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 1503/31/2013

Sorry, R15, you are incorrect. Bipolar involves cycles between depression and mania. Someone can be psychotic yet not manic. Mania often involves psychosis of some sort, but the presentation is actually hyper everything, lose of boundaries, intrusiveness, pressured speech, racing thoughts, and a sense of invincibility.

As someone mentioned, it sounds like the diagnosis is depression with psychotic features. Yes, the diagnosis may change as Drs learn more of her history and see how her illness presents itself overtime, that is not unusual at all.

Depression is a mood disorder, psychosis is a thought disorder. Both are readily treatable with medications. It may take a few trials to see what works best (most effective with fewest side effects) and what the patient is most likely to comply with.

In the meantime you can be open and accepting, encourage her to work with her doctors, be active in her treatment, both of you need to see this as an ILLNESS, which it is. Through medication and behavior changes/coping skills, she can get well again and live a very fulfilling life. If you are going to see her often, speak with the doctors and nurses about how to best interact with her. They will be more than happy to guide and support you. Family/social support and involvement is crucial for a quick and extensive recovery.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them or point you in the right direction.

by Anonymousreply 1603/31/2013

A friend's sister had post-partum depression with a psychotic break. She had never been diagnosed/sought treatment for depression before, and having a baby triggered it. She was so heavily medicated for about six months she was like a vegetable. She's been working with a pharma psychologist trying to come up with the right med cocktail, but I don't think she'll ever be the same as she was before the pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2013

Tell him to grow up and get a job. I hate these welfare moochers who don't want to work. Throw him out and see how fast he'd get better, if he didn't have the government's teat to suckle on.

by Anonymousreply 1804/01/2013

R18 is just in a tizzy because no one ever wants to suck on his teets. Or peen...

by Anonymousreply 1904/01/2013

R18 for president

by Anonymousreply 2004/01/2013

Does the fact that this form of psychosis is genetic make you sad, OP? Very, very sad?

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2013

So, just to get this straight, you can actually have psychotic depression, and ONLY psychotic depression without having something like Bipolar disorder or Schizophrenia?

BTW, I know she doesn't do drugs.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

Bipolar disorder is what it sounds like; there are two poles between which one's mood swings. Depression is just one of the poles. It is far more common than bipolar disorder.

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2013

Yes, tell your psychotic cousin to get a job and quit bitching. [R18] is going to get her a job in his office. Keep the evening news on so you'll know when she snaps and R18 eats his words.

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013

He is suffering from a deep rooted psychosis manifested by the alter ego and the id.

The electoral shock will work wonders.

by Anonymousreply 2604/01/2013

Is she fat , OP? I bet she she's fat.

by Anonymousreply 2704/01/2013

Send her a nice present to cheers her up, something she can enjoy.

Like a hunting knife or a gun.

by Anonymousreply 2804/01/2013

OP, it sounds like what happened is that your cousin's depression took a turn for the worse. Depression can include psychotic-type symptoms such as auditory or visual hallucinations. Her psychiatrist will likely either change or add medications to her regimen and adjust the dosages until these symptoms disappear. She would not be released from the hospital with psychotic-type symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 2904/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!