Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

1987 interview with the late Randy Shilts

About Patient Zero.

Damn he was a sexy cub.

by Anonymousreply 4202/14/2015

I am heartsick. Regan did nothing while our people were dying by the thousands year after year. Yes the guy with the beard was nice looking. If that's all you got from that video then I think you need to get your history and priorities straight.

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

I thought the Patient Zero theory had been thoroughly debunked. Is that wrong?

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

I love how they keep referring to gay men as "the gays." I forgot they used to do that.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

Patient zero theory was debunked and the first inklings of AIDS in the US was traced back as far as 1966 - In St.Louis I believe - although they had no idea what they were dealing with.

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

Wow R1. Can I have a copy of your book "How to Be a Complete Cunt in 30 Seconds or Less?"

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

Randy was cute. Reagan was a cunt

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

I imagine there were many Patient Zeroes. But like the report says, I definitely think it started with the Bicentennial celebrations, when all them foreigners came over here and fucked around.

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

So insulting, that report.

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2013

"Patient Zero" was not "thoroughly debunked." The sociopathic Gaetan Dugas was instrumental in spreading AIDS across America. Dozens of cases in New York were traced back to him. He was quite the AIDS Typhoid Mary; he was told that AIDS could be contracted through unprotected sex, and yet he continued to haunt the bathhouses and gay clubs in order to pick up anonymous men to fuck without condoms. His excuse was "it's their duty to protect themselves." He figures if a guy got AIDS from him, hey, it wasn't HIS fault, it was the guy's fault for having unprotected sex with him. He was quoted as saying in anger "I've got it...they can get it, too!"

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

Who is Randy Shits?

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

Randy Shilts was an asshole. I went to school with him at UofO and he was widely known to be an arrogant, pretentious prick.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

Patient Zero is just another phrase for Index Patient, which is an epidemiological term. There is nothing to be "debunked"; it simply IS a fact of public health and disease.

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

Who did Gaetan get it from, is what I've always wondered.

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

Who does op think was sexy? Randy or Patient Zero?

by Anonymousreply 1403/31/2013

"Who did Gaetan get it from, is what I've always wondered."

Considering he had hundreds of sexual encounters, that will never be known. From the way he was described in that 60 Minutes interview he sounds like he was a real bastard. And he wasn't that great-looking, either.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

Does anybody remember Kimberly Bergalis, the supposed virgin girl who supposedly contracted HIV from her gay HIV poz dentist in the early 90s/late 80s? 5 other patients of his also had HIV. But didn't they find out that she was essentially a lying slut who had genital warts and a wide vagine? I've always wondered what the real deal was in that story (w/ the other HIV patients).

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

"Who did Gaetan get it from, is what I've always wondered."

Infected monkey brains?

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2013

Any shirtless photo shoots of Shilts?

by Anonymousreply 1804/03/2013

Patient Zero was debunked. No there was no HIV in St. Louis in 1966. It began in the US in 1978, almost certainly spread deliberately by the USG. What there was in St. Louis in the 1960s was health affects of a secret army medical experiment to expose the residents of St. Louis' housing projects to radiation. That was the likely cause of the death falsely blamed on HIV.

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

Shilts was a Republican and likely outlet for propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

effects obviously

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

The St. Louis connection is to Robert Rayford, a 16 year old prostitute believed to have been one of the first infected persons in the States.

"Rayford had never traveled outside the Midwestern United States, and had told doctors that he never received a blood transfusion. Since Rayford's AIDS infection was almost certainly through sexual contact and he had never left the country, researchers presume that AIDS may have been present in North America before Rayford began showing symptoms in 1966.[2] Moreover, Rayford also never ventured into cosmopolitan cities such as New York, Los Angeles, or San Francisco, where the HIV-AIDS epidemic was first observed in the United States."

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

#22, if that were the case why didn't it rage through the U.S. during the Free Love, condomless '60's? As soon as AIDS was released in the states it spread like wildfire, killing all it touched til the causes and preventions were reinforced.

It still spreads if you're barebacking, etc.

It has to be the late '70's.

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

Rayford lived one block from where the U.S. army sprayed chemicals that could have caused his condition R22.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

[quote]I am heartsick. Regan did nothing while our people were dying by the thousands year after year.

To be fair, she did spin her head around a few times in blasphemous rage.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

The real reason they tore down Pruitt-Igoe. And a compelling answer to those who think the U.S. government would never have deliberately infected gays with AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

R15, you do realize that "hundreds of sexual encounters" was thousands less than was typical of most sexually active gay men of the time, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

Over 3500? Damn...

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

The young ones here,are living in a dream world. How is it that ANY gay man does not know our history? I can not believe the guy that called [R1] a cunt! I wish I could spit in your stupid face! Everything a young gay man needs to know about the plague can be found in Randy Shilts' book "And The Band Played On". Larry Kramer is,and has always been right about the bareback generation. A generation of fools. Exact replicas of each other squirting poison loads in each others bleached holes. My (mostly dead) friends and I protested (at great peril) to gain what you take for granted. Maybe your page in our history has yet to be written,but I think you've made all the impression you ever will? An entitled,bored,jaded,mean-spirited,self-seeking,vapid and worst of all DULL DULL ,UNIMAGINATIVE NOBODY'S.

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

Full of yourself much, R29?

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

R29 is the real fool.

by Anonymousreply 3104/04/2013

Karposi sarcoma weeping lesions BUMP!

Viral neuropathy with seizures BUMP!

Blood fungus BUMP!

Pneumocystis with chronic diarrhea BUMP!

bareback sad bump.

covered in bumps & bruises, but totally worth it!

The "fool" on the hill.

by Anonymousreply 3204/04/2013

Back hump bump,HA HA!

by Anonymousreply 3304/04/2013

On Wikipedia it says there were already three confirmed cases among gay men in 1978, in California.

There was also a bisexual German concert violinist who died from AIDS in 1979.

After Robert Rayford, who we can assume never travelled outside of his home state, these may be the earliest cases amongst gay or bisexual men.

It's possible Rayford was infected by someone from California, or gave the virus to someone from there. Perhaps the reason the virus didn't spread sooner is because the bathhouse / sex lib culture didn't really hit its stride until the mid-1970s?

by Anonymousreply 3404/04/2013

r24 is a nut. Unless, of course, it provides something like a link to a non-wingnut source of information.

by Anonymousreply 3504/04/2013

#34, then how did it miss the drug culture of the '60's/'70's?

Why do people NEED to believe this thing started long before it did? Is it because of the link to Africa?

by Anonymousreply 3604/04/2013

I thought Patient Zero was an Air Canada flight attendant...

by Anonymousreply 3704/04/2013

He was an Air France flight attendant.

by Anonymousreply 3804/04/2013

They don't "need" to believe it started earlier. Only the government needs people to believe that, so as to divert attention from themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3904/04/2013

Any more into on Robert R. grandfather? On Wiki 'talk' section there is a mention.

by Anonymousreply 4004/04/2013

"Our" own govt. funded a "hepatitis B" vaccination " program in 1975-7, in the West Village,in NYC. There has never been a vaccine for Hep.B. At that time the biggest health concern for gay men was hepatitis. So there were no shortage of takers for what was being touted as protection from it. There were identical programs in Houston,L.A.,S.F.,and Chicago. Not one patient who received the shot survived. My friend Jay is in his late seventies now,remembers this happening,and how excited everyone was about getting "immunized". The man who was in charge of all this was Wolf Szmuness. The best book about AIDS is QUEER BLOOD, THE SECRET AIDS GENOCIDE PLOT, by Alan Cantwell Jr.,MD.

by Anonymousreply 4104/04/2013

[quote]Does anybody remember Kimberly Bergalis, the supposed virgin girl who supposedly contracted HIV from her gay HIV poz dentist in the early 90s/late 80s? 5 other patients of his also had HIV. But didn't they find out that she was essentially a lying slut who had genital warts and a wide vagine? I've always wondered what the real deal was in that story (w/ the other HIV patients).

I just stumbled on this thread. I recently read And The Band Played On. Yeah, I remember Kimberly Bergalis and the other patients and HIV poz dentist. I was in college and living in Floria when that story broke. Kim and two other infected patients talked the press quite a bit before they died. According to articles and stuff on wikipedia, Kimberely said she only had sex with two men who both tested negative. The whole story on Dr. David Acer was never really known. There were rumors that he was deliberately infecting people and some of his friends and staff members defended him.

by Anonymousreply 4202/14/2015
Need more help? Click Here.