Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Have you ever been on the 'wrong side of history'?

Were you ever on the wrong side of a social or political issue and later regretted it?

by Anonymousreply 5804/03/2013

When I first heard Pink I thought she would be a one-hit wonder. Boy was I wrong.

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

Growing up as a middle-class White Boy in the suburban midwest, I passionately believed that Affirmative Action was a horrible policy that took opportunities away from hard-working white people in order to waste them on unqualified minorities in a stupid attempt to "feel good". I wrote papers about it more than once.

Now that I've actually seen more of the world beyond the lily-white suburbs, I feel very differently.

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

Voted for John Edwards in the primary.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

In 1999 I saw the internet as a limitless dimension of media entrepreneurship and an eventual fulcrum of next-level creativity that corporate entertainment - studios, startups, networks - would have to embrace. Then the 911 demolition happened, and it was US culture right down the toilet, with Paris Hilton, Perez Hilton, Seth McFarlane, Survivor, American Idol, Ashton Kutcher - a calculated parade of sleazy, obedient, lowbrow, brain dead media for pharmapigs to snack to. The creative revolution didn't happen or was not embraced.

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

I honestly didn't think tablets like the iPad would find a big market...I was an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

I thought that John Edwards was going to be our best and only chance at regaining the White House.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

I really had high hopes for Howard Dean when he ran for President. But I should have known that intellectual types never make it Washington. Adlai Stevenson's run against Eisenhower in 1956 was proof of that and the country has only gotten dumber since then. I am convinced that the mainstream media played a huge roll in destroying Dean's candidacy. They way over-hyped his speech to his followers following a defeat in a primary making it into a Tom Cruise sofa moment when it really wasn't. Obviously someone with influence was pulling the strings to make sure that his candidacy didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

You're so right, R7. Corporate media played and discussed the 'yell' 24/7 until he was dead in the water. In hindsight, it is so obvious that corporate forces were scared of him and wanted him toast. Watching the scream speech today, there is no there there. Really goes to show you how much of a farce our democracy is with our current corporate media machine.

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

I can't thing of one Pink hit R1.

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

No, I haven't.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

I've always steered clear of trends

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

Paging all Hillbots.

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

I voted for Hilary in the Texas primaries.

by Anonymousreply 1403/31/2013

I was certain, coming to age in the Reagan era (class of '88), that the U.S. had veered as far right as people would allow. And that a sharp turn to the left and more progressive times were ahead.

I overestimated my countrymen.

by Anonymousreply 1503/31/2013

I didn't believe the Serbs were ethnically cleansing Bosnians. When I saw the video of emaciated prisoners in a POW camp, my brother said it looked images of the Holocaust. I said that the Bosnian prisoners probably just pushed the skinniest guys to the front of the line to gain sympathy from the TV crews.

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

When 9/11 happened I was one of those morons who, even though I was a progressive liberal, rallied around the ra-ra "America will overcome! They hate us for our freedom!" bullshit that Dubya was pushing. I get embarrassed just thinking about how I was all like "Bomb the motherfuckers!" when we went into Afghanistan. By the time BushCo. started beating the war drums for Iraq I had snapped out of the patriotic stupor but by then it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2013

I completely underestimated the number of same sex people who would choose to marry and raise children.

by Anonymousreply 1804/01/2013

[quote]Then the 911 demolition happened, and it was US culture right down the toilet, with Paris Hilton, Perez Hilton, Seth McFarlane, Survivor, American Idol, Ashton Kutcher - a calculated parade of sleazy, obedient, lowbrow, brain dead media for pharmapigs to snack to. The creative revolution didn't happen or was not embraced.

Uh, what did 9/11 have anything to do with Ashton Kutcher or any of this?

by Anonymousreply 1904/01/2013

[quote]a calculated parade of sleazy, obedient, lowbrow, brain dead media for pharmapigs to snack to.

And yet this pretentious douchebag is here at the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 2004/01/2013

I never thought android would become a thing. I thought google was throwing their money away back then when they were developing it.

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2013

R20 is a little too defensive.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

I thought my dad was a dork for using Google instead of Yahoo. A friend of mine from summer camp was one of the first 100 people on Facebook and I rolled my eyes when she tried to sell me on it as the new Myspace.

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

But that's not really answering OP's question - I also voted for John Edwards in the primary (although I wasn't a big fan and almost voted for Al Sharpton - my real shame is that I thought Howard Dean was a joke). I also thought the Iraq war would be over pretty quickly, even though I opposed it.

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2013

For two decades I thought Lindsay Lohan was going to be the next Kathryn Hepburn.

And for some reason, even though I know she is now a train wreck, every night before I go to bed, I Google her name for news of her. In bed, I whisper her name, Lowenstein, Lowen...uhh..Lohan, Lohan....

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013

In the early '90s, I allowed my broker to talk me out of investing in Apple at $6/share because he was convinced the company would go belly up.

by Anonymousreply 2604/01/2013

I admit that I actually believed Condi & Dubya about Iraq.

Call me naive, but I didn't think they would lie to start a war

by Anonymousreply 2704/01/2013

Voting for John Edwards isn't being on the wrong side of history. It just means you have bad judgment in character.

Anyone who saw the "transformation" of populist Edwards in 2008 from the centrist Democrat in 2004 is just easily duped by a charlatan.

by Anonymousreply 2804/01/2013

In 1981-1983 I bought into a lot of the AIDS bs that we were being fed by the press and White House. Since I'm not gay, and knew no one suffering with fear and confusion, all I could think was "it's there own fault".

I've done a lot of work over the years to right that wrong and assuage my guilt at being so easily lead down the wrong path.

by Anonymousreply 2904/01/2013

Was a republican as a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 3004/01/2013

There were a lot DLers calling people not patriotic for being against Iraq. That was awful.

by Anonymousreply 3104/01/2013

It was pretty awful during that time r31. We were living under a gov't that openly divided people between those who supported the Admin's actions and those who raised doubts. I like to just refer to the Bush era as just a very Orwellian decade.

I hate to say this but thank you God for Katrina. It opened everyone eyes. After Katrina, it was okay again to criticize the President.

by Anonymousreply 3204/01/2013

No, but history's been on the wrong side of me.

by Anonymousreply 3304/01/2013

Obama's on the wrong side with regard to pushing global trade slavery.

by Anonymousreply 3404/01/2013

Yes. I have changed my mind about some things. For instance, when I was very young I opposed affirmative action, not seeing how important it was to diversify society and also not recognizing the disadvantages that a great many members of minorities had at the time.

by Anonymousreply 3504/01/2013

Always voted against Reagan...history should have followed MY lead.

by Anonymousreply 3604/01/2013

I voted for Reagan in his reelection landslide. Eh, I was young, my first election, and I fell for all the rah rah.

by Anonymousreply 3704/01/2013

Nope. Because I'm not a conservative moron.

by Anonymousreply 3804/01/2013

The first time I heard Golden Girls was a show in the making, I thought to myself, "who the hell is going to want to watch a show about four old ladies?" I honestly didnt think it would last a month.

by Anonymousreply 3904/01/2013

When I was a closet case, I voted twice for Ronald Reagan and even went to a rally of his.

by Anonymousreply 4004/01/2013

Only inadvertently.

by Anonymousreply 4104/01/2013

I used to believe we had a free press until I was backpacking in Israel in '90 when some big stuff was happening that I witnessed. Then we read the US press accounts and they were not just off base but flat out lying for a pro-Israeli slant.

It was an eye opener and it's gotten much worse. Corporations decide what we should think and know now.

I also used to think we had a representative democracy for the most part with a little hand greasing and lying thrown around. That did not turn out as I has thought either,

by Anonymousreply 4204/02/2013

I predicted Viola over M

by Anonymousreply 4304/02/2013

R42, that is why I listen to Al Jazeer on the computer while reading DL.

by Anonymousreply 4404/02/2013

R40, you are lower than low, I hope that you are happy with yourself!

by Anonymousreply 4504/02/2013

When I was a teenager, I was a news junkie and so full of opinions about the world even though my world was so limited.

In that context, as a budding teenage journalist, I wrote an article in favor of Prop 187 (anti-illegal immigration in CA in 1994).

I still have a clip of that article and it makes me ashamed how uninformed I was and acting like I really understood the real issues of the adult world.

So I was on the wrong side of history in regards to illegal immigration.

by Anonymousreply 4604/02/2013

A small thing but way back when Word Perfect was THE word processing software for the majority of companies, the head of my department consulted me about Microsoft Word, asking if we should switch and convert all company documents. I was an Information Systems tech. I said no way, that MS Word wasn't going to last. I was dead wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4704/02/2013

Details, R42.

by Anonymousreply 4804/02/2013

Cabbage Patch Dolls - so ugly, they could never be a success with little kids. That company must have had an amazing marketing department.

Icicle lights - those jumbled strings of Christmas lights are ugly. They don't look like icicles. People are still buying them. Why?

by Anonymousreply 4904/02/2013

If you eat animals, especially factory-farmed, then you're on the wrong side of history. :)

by Anonymousreply 5004/02/2013

I'm not that old enough to have something at the wrong side of history.

by Anonymousreply 5104/02/2013

I used to flame DL "trolls" who made a big stink about straight females posting here. "Leave them alone; they're not hurting anyone!" The "trolls" were much wiser than I.

by Anonymousreply 5204/02/2013

I thought America was way too racist to elect a black man as President.

Twenty eight years later, they proved me wrong.

But unless I live another fifty years, I doubt I'll see an openly gay president.

Here's hoping...

by Anonymousreply 5304/02/2013

I grew up in a posh school that functioned in its own little bubble, and some people there had parents so rich that usually one of them didn't have to work. So when the news talked about "unemployment", I believed my father that these figures were made up to scare people into working. I actually believed unemployment didn't exist and was something made up by the government to scare people.

I was 18 when a friend from university told me her father didn't work (they were so rich he didn't have to work, I assumed). No, he was a construction worker and was unemployed at the time. They were working-class poor. It took me about two years to learn I was middle-class and not poor, contrary to what I had assumed going to houses with swimming pools all through my teenage years.

by Anonymousreply 5404/02/2013

r2, I felt exactly the same way about affirmative action growing up and changed my mind as I lived and learned.

by Anonymousreply 5504/02/2013

Add me to that list, R2 and R55.

by Anonymousreply 5604/02/2013

I shelled out about 3 grand for a laser disc player and a beta max. I thought for sure they were the future.

by Anonymousreply 5704/03/2013

Boy was I ever. I bet on the Betamax and bought some expensive bootleg tapes.

by Anonymousreply 5804/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!