Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mr. Selfridge on tonight

My DVR is set.

by Anonymousreply 8505/23/2013

It's pretty bad. I'll watch Frances O'Connor in anything, but...

Piven gives the worst performance I've seen from a lead actor in a long time— just one-note grandiosity, no color, no shading.

It's like he's standing at footlights braying his lines at an audience.

It's really weird: Like they didn't bother to direct him, or he refused to be directed, or something.

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

What network?

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

How did Piven even get this role?

He's such a one-note actor, and his rep is poisonous.

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

The CW, right after The Carrie Diaries.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

He redefines one note here, he's embarrassingly wooden, acting as if he has a hearing problem, always shouting and looking out of place from scene to scene.

You could say that was cause the character was meant to be a brash OTT American clashing with the Brits, but he is dreadful and sinks the show since of course it revolves around him. I don't see it being renewed.

That said it's well made and watchable, thanks to the supporting cast. There's some hot guys in it.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

Piven's a disaster.

He makes the 1970s Richard Dreyfus seem like Gary Cooper

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

So far I'm finding it quite dull.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

Piven is the most bloated, repulsive, untalented lump of ego ever pushed onto a PBS audience. Terrible! TERRIBLE!

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

Downton Abbey with tills.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

I believe it was a ratings disaster for ITV when it aired in the UK earlier this year. It's not just Piven - who is terrible - but the script is awful as well. It got terrible reviews, total turkey. There's no suspense at all, of course, for anyone who's walked down Bond Street in the last, oh, 80 years. The writers never found anything to dramatise.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

Its coming back for a second series here in UK. I found Piven grating or was it just the character? Is he gay ? we are not sure here ...

Poor Miss Mardle ... and that silly Kitty ! The young waiter is going places too.

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

Awful, turned Jeremy Piven and his bad performance and his bad rug off after a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2013

Frances O'Connor was pretty bad too. She must have been concentrating so much on that flat American accent that it flattened her performance.

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

I know his personality is repulsive but I would love to fuck that hot little cub, Piven. And the beard looks good.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

Mmmm, yeah. He'd be a hot fuck.

You could see this from behind...

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

And this from the front...

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2013

I watched it. Jeremy Piven is awful. He's trying to act like Willy Wonka without the whimsy.

I think Kevin Spacey would've been a good choice for the role.

by Anonymousreply 1804/01/2013

I'm with you, (R15). His obnoxious personality and huge ego only add to the "throw him down and fuck the self importance out of the little fucker" fantasy.

Take this down a peg-

by Anonymousreply 2004/01/2013

I have never heard of this Jeremy Piven before now and only on DL. Where the heck did he spring from?

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2013

He has a weird speech impediment, too, that seems to come from the back of his mouth. Like he has a bad set of dentures.

I stayed with the show to the end but it was a slog to sit through. Jeremy was awful and one-note but there wasn't much else to recommend it, anyway.

Where do I know Frances O'Connor from? And who is the (too youthful) actor who plays the shopgirl and her brother's father? He looks so familiar.

If the waiter is going to be the male sex object in the show, is that the best they could do? Do all the shop girls have to be young and pretty and thin? No character types??

And the window decorator! WTF?

So much bad casting! I hated the rich lady (Lady M?) who kept swanning around with attitude like she was Diana Rigg and also the ridiculously puny girl who played the West End star (or was she just the lead chorus girl?) In any case, sex in those times included lots of pulchritude.

Everyone was just trying too hard. Is this the SMASH of UK TV?

I did appreciate the young painter and the French aviator, however.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

Frances O'Connor is a mediocrity-a modern day Jessica Harper. Jessica who? Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

I like Frances O'Connor and if there is ever a call for someone to play Sally Field's daughter she deserves the role. What's particularly annoying about the series was that Rose Selfridge was quite an independent and interesting character. She's certainly not in this. The painter is cute and I like the opening music but overall it was dull.

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2013

On ITV it was a bunch of 50 minute episodes. PBS is wrapping up multiple episodes in a couple of broadcasts.

Piven is dreadful - he can't act - it isn't his fault the producers of the show cast him. Once he was in they had to see it through.

What, no gay people in the series????

TOO MANY LOVE STORIES... I agree with what the New York Times said - less love stories - more store.

The story has been changed for the series. Selfridge had the affair when the actress when he was very old, not at this stage in his life. The store had booted him out long before.

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013

I thought Frances was great in A.I.

by Anonymousreply 2604/01/2013

Does Piven wear dentures? My god, all those teeth!!!

by Anonymousreply 2704/01/2013

Piven is just dreadful. They don't hire many American actors for British TV but when they need one they pick Piven!?! Why?

by Anonymousreply 2804/01/2013

R18, I'm sure it was offered to Spacey first.

Does Piven's hair stay on in the water?

by Anonymousreply 2904/01/2013

I wonder if he knows how bad he was in it.

by Anonymousreply 3004/01/2013

[quote] I did appreciate the young painter and the French aviator, however.

The young painter played the gamekeeper at Sir Timothy's estate in Lark Rise to Candleford. He was in love with Laura but got her father fired because he was jealous of Alf, who was poaching. Laura's father -- Mr Bates from Downton Abbey -- refused to lie to Sir Timothy. He wouldn't do the easy thing by pretending he didn't know who was poaching. He let everyone know he knew who did it, but wouldn't tell. He was an aggravating character.

by Anonymousreply 3104/01/2013

I enjoyed it despite Pivin's stilted, wooden acting. He really is a one-note actor. I would have loved to see it with a competent actor - even a Brit with a fake accent would have been better than him.

by Anonymousreply 3204/01/2013

Liev Schreiber would have been good in the part. At least he might have brought some nuance to it.

by Anonymousreply 3304/01/2013

Brits hate hiring American actors. I guess they figured they had to hire one for this series, so thy hired the worst one they could find.

by Anonymousreply 3404/01/2013

Hopefully it will help the lovely Grégory Fitoussi move into English language films. He is brilliant in Spiral (Engrenages).

by Anonymousreply 3504/01/2013

Wow. Piven was dreadful. Truly dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 3604/01/2013

Piven looks put-together from a lot of different pieces. He's got a horribly fake rug on his head, horriblly fake huge teeth and he is obviously a modern American in Edwardian clothing. Everything about him is ungenuine.

by Anonymousreply 3704/01/2013

[quote]I stayed with the show to the end but it was a slog to sit through. Jeremy was awful and one-note but there wasn't much else to recommend it, anyway.

Thanks for that review. I missed it and now I know not to bother watching.

by Anonymousreply 3804/01/2013

Every second Piven was on screen, I thought it was either the worst acting possible or he directed to be bizarrely out of sync with the scene and his fellow actors. Really awful.

And this was supposed to hold us over until the return of Downtown Abby? DA is nothing but a souped up soap opera, but at least they play trashy well. MS is just swill.

by Anonymousreply 3904/01/2013

It's been renewed for a second season.

by Anonymousreply 4004/01/2013

It's not so much Jeremy's dentures that make that funny noise but it's like he had part of his rear tongue cut out.

Is Fitoussi the window decorator?

by Anonymousreply 4104/01/2013

It made me appreciate everything about Downton Abbey so much more, especially the casting.

by Anonymousreply 4204/01/2013

Too bad DOWNTON ABBEY'S Season three finale didn't have Jeremy Piven dead and bleeding in that automobile accident!

by Anonymousreply 4304/01/2013

When is that fag gonna come out?!

by Anonymousreply 4404/01/2013

Pivin is one of the producers . . .

by Anonymousreply 4504/01/2013

JP is a flop at playing anything other than an arrogant, obnoxious asshole (like his real life persona).

by Anonymousreply 4604/01/2013

I didn't think it was very good.

One more vote for Piven as one note.

The supporting characters were more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 4704/01/2013

There has got to be some gay gossip on Piven.

by Anonymousreply 4804/01/2013

Piven was miscast, which is too bad since the show revolves around his performance. The overall casting was weak and uninspired. The ship was sunk before it even left the harbor.

As has already been said by other posters,it was a lot of hammy, 'local dinner theater' performancez by almost all of the participants on some level.

There was no chemistry between the Selfridge couple, nor between Selfridge and his annoying (and not particularly attractive) mistress. The opening musical number that Ellen Love performed wasn't remotely mesmerizing. The supposed heartthrob, Victor, was also meh. Weak or strange acting choices across the board from everyone. (Was Frances O'Connor stoned? She seemed oddly remote and 'off' in her interactions.)

The entire production seemed like a throwback to the 1990's "NBC Sunday Night Movie" during a sweeps month.

I was really excited to see this so maybe that's why I'm being so critical. Downton raised the bar and I took it for granted. I'll give it one more try on the DVR but Mad Men will likely trounce this turkey.

by Anonymousreply 4904/01/2013

If Lady Mae was any hammier she'd have cloves popping out of her pores.

by Anonymousreply 5004/01/2013

Uh oh, I just started a second thread not realizing this one was here. I like what I have seen so far. But I guess I don't have any taste. :(

by Anonymousreply 5104/03/2013

he is so hot but such a terrible actor.

The show is tailor made for gay men--it has Piven being hot and oversexed, slatternly shopgirls, and exacting control-freak female department heads. Plus Edwardian clothing.

by Anonymousreply 5204/06/2013

Enjoyed the first hour with the opening of the store stuff.

Could barely make it through the second half.

Doubt I'll watch any further. Where's the drama supposed to be coming from? Will a customer buy a pair of gloves?

by Anonymousreply 5304/06/2013

Either Piven is trying to play a one note, brash American or... he's not a particularly good actor.

by Anonymousreply 5404/07/2013

Tonight I realized his delivery reminds me of Martin Short doing one of his goofy characters.

by Anonymousreply 5504/07/2013

R54 I think its the latter, judging by the other things I've seen him in. He's a very one-note actor.

by Anonymousreply 5604/07/2013

This must be the year of the fierce, big toothed grin.

Megan Hilty's blasting it all over SMASH and Piven's blasting it all over SELFRIDGE.

by Anonymousreply 5704/07/2013

Ok, everyone on this thread is going to think I'm nuts ,but I don't think this was bad as everyone says it is. I wasn't super ,but I don't think it was that bad. I love the story of how a department store got established in the 1900s. I have been to Selfidges in London and it is an elegant store. I had no idea about it's history until I watched this this film last night.

I love watching British productions,BBC, Acorn, etc.But, I'm not surprised that Mr. Selfridge is portrayed very negatively. When ever the British portray an American in their TV shows, movies, etc. they portray Americans as, crass, swears like sailors, stupid, loud, overbearing, unrefined on and on. I think it stinks that they do that because I think when the Americans portray the British, usually they are portrayed fairly. Also, they made Mr. Selfridge without basic manors ,which most American people were taught in those days. In addition, in this film they throw in some modern terms like I'll get back to you later.

The window dresser is gorgeously handsome!! Is he gay in real life? Who is he? WOW!

BTW, someone on DL once said they had a male friend who had sex with Piven in Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 5804/07/2013

[quote]. Also, they made Mr. Selfridge without basic manors

I don't think he had even one manor, but then again, I've never been to Newport.

by Anonymousreply 5904/07/2013

R58 if u like it, then keep watching it. But the fact remains that most people are not impressed with it (at least not here in the US).

Is it getting good reviews in the UK? I'm guessing so since they love everything with an American in it.

by Anonymousreply 6004/07/2013

If it hadn't come on immediately after "Call the Midwife" (a MUCH better show) and if there had been anything else worth watching last night, I wouldn't have bothered with the second episode. Still meh.

by Anonymousreply 6104/08/2013

Frances O'Connor is so odd looking to me. Something about her mouth is off as if she has jaw muscles like a pit bull or something. It was very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 6204/08/2013

Terrible, terrible terrible.

And Piven was awful, awful, awful.

Are those his real teeth or did he wear a dental piece to emphasize his cartoonishness?

by Anonymousreply 6304/08/2013

What area in London is Selfridge's located? Is it near Harrod's? Their main competetor? Didn't know about it when we were in London. Did go to Harrod's.

by Anonymousreply 6404/08/2013

He is such a bad actor! omg he's overacting and it's so cringeworthy. This just wasn't the role for him. He was good in Entourage, but he seems so out of place in this mini series. I wish the producers had done a better job at casting, but oh well..

by Anonymousreply 6504/08/2013

And did they say "you only live once" in 1909? Kinda doubt it..

by Anonymousreply 6604/08/2013

Harrod's is out in Knightsbridge. Selfridge's is on Oxford Street, east of Hyde Park. Everybody goes to Harrod's because it's as much a tourist attraction as a store. Selfridge's/Oxford St. is real life shopping, but most tourists can't afford heavy shopping in London because the pound is so expensive.

by Anonymousreply 6704/08/2013

I simply cannot watch Jeremy Piven. He's ugly inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 6804/08/2013

I recorded it and finally watched Ep 1 tonight.

This may be the worst thing I've seen on PBS in recent memory, and I've seen a lot.

Piven is not merely a bad actor: this is LEGENDARY bad TV acting. And no one else is a lot better. Some serious bucks look to have been spent tarting all this up, but it's all completely overproduced, misguided, and off the mark. There's nothing that memorable about the production design or costumes, and it all should have been gorgeous.

Lastly: it's really poorly written. Andrew Davies, WTF? It's full of anachronisms in both speech and behavior, too numerous to even recount. Terrible work.

by Anonymousreply 6904/08/2013

Yes, R69, both Piven's performance and the script are a 21st century take on early 20th century life. He has no innate sense of how to realistically portray the mannerisms of a man living in 1908 society.

And you are right about the numerous anachronisms peppered throughout the production. One error that jumped out at me took place in Episode 1 when Selfridge says to a lady, "I'll catch you later" as he rushes off. I can't imagine that phrase being used in 1908, much less for a 'gentleman' to ever say that to a lady during that time period. Did they have no person on staff to check for these kinds of glaring historical goofs?

by Anonymousreply 7004/09/2013

I had been DVRing episodes and finally got around to watching some of it. Was glad to delete all of them after coming here to see I wasn't the only one who couldn't get into it. I kept waiting for Pivin to start yelling, "Baby... baby..." every time he got in a spat with his wife.

Truly awful.

by Anonymousreply 7105/13/2013

I forget what the clanger was last but they definitely do not have somebody on set advising on the period. I enjoy it but it's terrible and Piven is about the most one note performance I've seen in a long time.

Straighten up, show enormous teeth, and blast out some golly gee! It's horribly fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 7205/13/2013

I don't hate it, and I think Piven is coming across as intended for the character.

Love how Selfridge and Lady Chlamydia got theirs in the season finale. series needs more hot men like the painter.

try watching it with a friend as I do. we love making fun of the Ralph Lauren ads and that riverboat tour company that dabbles in senior sex slave trafficking

by Anonymousreply 7305/20/2013

Utter garbage. And Jeremy is SOOOOO bad, I have no words. PBS usually does better work than this. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 7405/20/2013

I kept waiting for Piven to burst into song - it just seemed like bad, over the top, musical theatre acting.

by Anonymousreply 7505/20/2013

He's completely unaware there are other actors in his scenes. Hambone.

by Anonymousreply 7605/20/2013

Watched the season finale last night and Piven was beyond awful. High school acting of the worst kind. Frances O'Connor is the blandest of the bland. Terrible casting across the board except for the hot Frenchman.

by Anonymousreply 7705/20/2013

No love here for Call the Midwife?

I started a thread when Season 1 began but it got no responses. I've come to really love the show and last night's Season Finale was particularly wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 7805/20/2013

It's like comfort food, r78 but much more interesting to watch than Mr S.

by Anonymousreply 7905/20/2013

The guy who plays Roddy (the painter) - Oliver Jackson-Cohen - looked HOT in last night's episode. Any dish?

by Anonymousreply 8005/20/2013

He was Laura's bf and the gamekeeper at Sir Timothy's estate in Lark Rise to Candleford.

by Anonymousreply 8105/20/2013

And he's coming to NBC this Fall in Dracula.

by Anonymousreply 8205/20/2013

This show is watchable in spite of Pivens. Most of the rest of the cast are very solid and the production is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 8305/21/2013

I'm betting the Christmas episode of Call the Midwife will feature a pregnant Sister Bernadette.

by Anonymousreply 8405/21/2013

I wish this show was so bad that it was good. But it's not.

What kind of pregnany/childbirth problem will Sister Bernadette have on CTM? They've done placenta previa, toxemia, SIDS, spina bifida. Have they done ectopic pregnancy?

by Anonymousreply 8505/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!