Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Getting ATTITUDE when you return clothes

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of jeans at the Gap and wore them once. I decided I just didn't like the fit, I think the skinny look didn't look right with the color and the cut was weird. Plus, they were $70, too much for something from there.

So I take it up to the sales lady who was wearing a Levi's jean jacket, which I thought was odd. Anyway, she said "these look worn" and I said i tried them on and didn't like the fit. Well, she rolled her eyes and said "I gotta axe my manager about this. And I don't know what 'don't like the fit' is all about". After talking to her manager for about 10 seconds she came back and could barely contain her attitude as she returned my money. I gave her a gracious thank you just to rub it in. What is it her business why or when I'm returning something?

by Anonymousreply 13104/02/2013

It's assholes like you that are ruining America!

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

The sales lady probably has to listen to bullshit all day-and has heard every (false) reason concerning returns. That doesn't excuse her attitude, but I can relate having had a job like this once.

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

Couldn't your fat ass decide the skinny jean look wasn't for you in the dressing room mirror? Or did you need the derision of the public while you larded around in them all day before you could make up your mind?

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

I always try on clothes at home, I hate doing it in the store, especially a place like the Gap.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

OK, I get trying on clothes at home. Maybe even returning something worn, IF it's defective in someway.

But OP said the color was weird. That is something you definitely can tell just from looking at it on the rack. So he had to wear it for one day before he realized the color was weird?

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

I reserve the right to return things for any reason. I can be an impulsive shopper. I also returned a pair of gray pants to Urban Outfitters after reading their owner was a rethug. The sales girl was kind and didn't ask any questions.

The only time I understand getting suspicious is when people try to return things without a reciept because they stole them.

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

Well, I have to try them on at home, before I return them....DUH??

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2013

[quote] Well, I have to try them on at home, before I return them....DUH??

Why? This makes no sense?

What the FUCK difference does home make from a dressing room? A person with half the sense of a fly would be able to tell what's what in a dressing room.

Face it, you wore it once to a party and then decided to take it back. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

I had a seasonal job inspecting returns at Victoria's Secret, and apparently they have a policy of returning for a full refund- no questions asked? Is that insane? The clothes would come back reeking of perfume, powder and crotch stank.

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

Contact The Gap and tell them what you told us. Tell them they have a real cunt working for them and that you suspect her of shoplifting, too.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

Wow. You returned USED clothing and were surprised by "attitude"? Maybe you should examine your attitude, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

Wearing once and returning is acceptable, R12. What would you do if you wore a pair of pants and the seams split or the belt looks broke the first time?

I could understand not returning them if you wore them the first time and had butterfish for dinner...

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

You had to find a way of telling us she was black, didn't you OP? Did you really have to quote her ebonics? I bet you anything had it been a white girl who had said "axe"(some do) you wouldn't have included it in the tale because people would have made the false assumption she was black.

by Anonymousreply 1403/31/2013

I bought a Gap sweater online. They sent me the wrong color. (This happens a lot when you order online at Gap - wrong size, wrong color, wrong everything).

I went to the Gap store on 5th Ave @ 54th Street, found the right color and tried to exchange it. Except the price was different.. it was cheaper online. The cashier gave me a hard time and brought his manager over who very abruptly told me that, since I bought the sweater online, they didn't have to make the exchange at all and that they were 'doing me a favor.' When I told them that I was the one being inconvenienced and Gap had fucked up in the first place she made the exchange at the online price. She wasn't happy about it but she did it.

by Anonymousreply 1503/31/2013

[quote] Wearing once and returning is acceptable

No, it's NOT. How trashy.

If there's clear signs of stains, or odor, those clothes have to be written off. That eventually costs the rest of us.

These cheap bitches are the same ones who used to come into Barnes & Noble I worked in, take magazines and newspapers to the coffee shop and spill coffee all over them...all without paying for them, of course.

(They did the same to expensive books, because they believed "bookstore" and "library" meant the same thing.)

Honestly, if you can't afford $1 for a newspaper you shouldn't leave your trailer park to be seen in public.

by Anonymousreply 1603/31/2013

[quote]What is it her business

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1703/31/2013

R14 Assuming only black people speak that way is racist thinking.

by Anonymousreply 1803/31/2013

R14 is the racist here.

by Anonymousreply 1903/31/2013

[quote]Wearing once and returning is acceptable, [R12]. What would you do if you wore a pair of pants and the seams split or the belt looks broke the first time?

He didn't say they were defective. He said his ass was too wide and his legs were too skinny and that the color was weird after he wore them once.

by Anonymousreply 2003/31/2013

Wearing clothes and then returning them is a total frau move.

by Anonymousreply 2103/31/2013

Please, tell us more, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2203/31/2013

Believe it or not OP, nobody wants to handle clothes that have touched your funky ass.

by Anonymousreply 2303/31/2013

Wearing once and returning is NEVER acceptable unless you have the conscience of a thief like R13.

OP returned USED clothing. It was not defective clothing.

by Anonymousreply 2403/31/2013

Good customer service starts with 'good customer'.

by Anonymousreply 2503/31/2013

Attitude, attitude was all she sent

Now she can't afford antiperspirant

by Anonymousreply 2603/31/2013

She had to 'axe her manager'? Really?

Why didn't you call the police?

by Anonymousreply 2703/31/2013

People in stores are tired of people like OP.

I have a friend who worked at Banana Republic while he was in college.

He said one day an overweight woman came in and returned a white unitard thing. She said she had never worn it. But when he picked it up, he saw long smears of greenish-brown fecal material on the material that would cover the ass.

He used two coat hangers to carry the garment to the trash, where he dropped it in while the woman watched.

He then gave her her money back.

by Anonymousreply 2803/31/2013

For fucks sake, she works in a shop. And not a particularly high end one at that. Its no skin off her ass to take the merchandise back. In fact, its part of her job.

by Anonymousreply 3003/31/2013

"Not a particularly high end one at that."

Is this Appalachia Day on Datalounge or something?

by Anonymousreply 3103/31/2013

I knew a girl who posted about returning clothes to The Gap once. But then the Datalounge piss queens attacked, and then she died.

by Anonymousreply 3203/31/2013

[quote]Its no skin off her ass to take the merchandise back. In fact, its part of her job.

Why would it be her job to take back USED clothing that had no defects?

by Anonymousreply 3303/31/2013

R33 Seeing how she did take the clothes back and issue a refund, it is very clearly part of her job. Why else would she have to do it?

by Anonymousreply 3403/31/2013

Give it rest, r34. Don't get all pissy just because you've been exposed as a deluded psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 3503/31/2013

OP robbed the store. Had he tried on the clothing at home and saw that it was the wrong color and fit and then returned it, that would have been okay. But wearing the clothing and then returning it, [bold]pretending it was unused,[/bold] is robbery. The store accepted the used clothing in order to prevent a scene. Had they not taken back the obviously used clothing, OP would have, without a doubt, created a scene in order to force them to return his money. He's a robber.

by Anonymousreply 3603/31/2013

R35 being called a psychopath by someone who doesn't know what the word means has very little effect. In fact, I would say it has no effect.

by Anonymousreply 3703/31/2013

R26 YOU know you can SEE gurl!

by Anonymousreply 3803/31/2013

She was black. so what?

by Anonymousreply 3903/31/2013

Poor r37, still thinking that he "wins" if he gets in another word, when all he's doing is further revealing his psychopathic mind.

by Anonymousreply 4003/31/2013

Stores in New York know better than to inquire about the usage of returned goods. When you're dealing with hundreds of customers a day, the last thing you care about is if the items are used or not. It's not like you're going to get a bonus because you caught a "worn once and return" queen. You're still going to get paid your weekly wage, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 4103/31/2013

Poor [R40], still thinking that he "wins" if he gets in another word, when all he's doing is avoiding the question that was asked of him because he knows the answer will make him look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 4203/31/2013

[quote]You had to find a way of telling us she was black, didn't you OP? Did you really have to quote her ebonics? I bet you anything had it been a white girl who had said "axe"(some do) you wouldn't have included it in the tale because people would have made the false assumption she was black

How do YOU know she wasn't white? You're the one who made the assumption she was black.

by Anonymousreply 4303/31/2013

I be bustin' return queens like erryday, mmm-hmmm!

by Anonymousreply 4403/31/2013

Did you report her for being uppity, OP?

by Anonymousreply 4503/31/2013

R46. And if the jeans aren't been covered in cum stains and burns where you cooled your glass pipe on them

by Anonymousreply 4703/31/2013

She probably smelled the "personal stain" you left on the seat of those pants. Next time, don't go Commando.

by Anonymousreply 4803/31/2013

Girls, you only work in a shop. You can drop the attitude.

by Anonymousreply 4903/31/2013

A friend of mine worked with a woman who got fired for giving refunds when her friends returned merchandise they stole from the store.

by Anonymousreply 5003/31/2013

I can't believe there are people who think it's okay to WEAR something (whether it's clothes, shoes or, god forbid, underwear), and then try to return it, for refund or exchange.

Change rooms are there for a reason. You can try something on to your heart's content before making a purchase. Okay, if you're indecisive, and go home and look at yourself in the mirror again, change your mind and want to make a return, fine. (And that's obviously the way things go for online shopping.) At least the item is still unused and presumably has the tag on. But to wear something, like, out to dinner and THEN decide that you want to return it -- that blows my mind. Every company has a clear return policy, and absolutely none would allow that.

This is coming from somebody who hasn't even worked retail. It just pisses me off that people try to abuse store policies because it's unfair to those of us who follow the rules. Sure, I've bought stuff that I've regretted. We all have. But if I've worn it, I don't go trying to get my money back. That does make you look trashy. And poor.

And for the record, I've never gotten attitude from any store employee when I've had to make a legit return (i.e. with the tag still on and within the accepted time window).

by Anonymousreply 5103/31/2013

I can't believe this is even a matter of debate. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you EVER return a worn pair of clothing, unless as R13 noted the workmanship is shoddy enough to the point of the garment falling apart the first time you wear it out (which RARELY happens). I'm shocked that Victoria's Secret even *takes* returns, given that every store I've seen has a no-return policy on any garment with direct contact with genitals and ass (underwear and swimsuits, in other words).

Also, if you buy something online you need to *return* it that way, not to a bricks-and-mortar store, unless the store specifically allows such returns (and most don't). Most chains have entirely separate online and bricks-and-mortar divisions, including Gap/BR/Old Navy, so returning something bought online to a store just fucks everything up. Furthermore, most online stores even include a return shipping label inside the box, so all you have to do is re-tape the box and drop it off at a post office or UPS pickup spot (and most stores don't charge for return shipping, either).

by Anonymousreply 5203/31/2013

Btw the worst offenders in this regard aren't cheap-ass queens like OP, but high-society doyennes who buy an absurdly expensive gown, wear it once, and then try to return it because they can't be seen "wearing the same thing twice" to a formal event. A friend of mine is an evil queen who used to work at Neiman's, and he specifically requested a transfer to the gowns department just so he could tell these cheap-ass bitches that they could not accept a return on a formal gown, even if it still had the price tag attached. Neiman's has a lenient return policy in general, but on formalwear it's NO RETURNS PERIOD, EVER, REGARDLESS OF REASON. Nevertheless, every single day rich bitches would come in with the most outlandish excuses you can think of to demand an "exception" to the rules. My friend is proud that he did not *once* waiver, even when numerous women demanded to speak to his manager and at least one was actually friends with Ken Downing (Neiman's longtime fashion director). No go, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 5403/31/2013

Actually, Gap/Old Navy/BR all boast easy return policies on their website and encourage online customers to return to an actual store if they choose to.

by Anonymousreply 5503/31/2013

I worked for a department store that sold designer high end shoes. It was the companies policy to take back everything, no questions asked. You had customers who would buy $800 shoes for a season, wear them into the ground, complain about them falling apart, and then get their money back. The return was taken out of the Sales Associate's check.

Thieves disguised as customers absolutely suck, and someone DOES always pay. It's not anyone's job to allow you to steal. But employees are forced to, to accommodate people like OP.

by Anonymousreply 5603/31/2013

R14 Exactly. I could tell you stories of stuck up white girls who work at stores that have major bitchface and snotty attitudes who try to act all passive-aggressive when I go to return something, even though I'm complying with their return policy.

Whether it's a hoodrat speaking ebonics or some stuck up girl acting passive-aggressive, at the end of the day a bitch is a bitch, regardless of color.

by Anonymousreply 5703/31/2013

OP: I wish the Gap clerk would have slapped you stupid. No one ever gets to return something they have worn because they now decide they "no longer like it".

God, men are fucking annoying!

by Anonymousreply 5803/31/2013

Return anything you don't like. fuck any naysayers. It's your money, your purchase, your time, and your decision. If retailers don't like it, shop somewhere else. Wearing something once? who gives a shit. It's part of the process.

The last thing an individual should be concerned about is the clerk. The store is there to please you, not the other way around. That's why you give them money, not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 6003/31/2013

Well, we here at the Nasty Pig WELCOME your returned items that you have worn once. In fact we have a very specific sniff test that we do to determine how long the item has been worn.

by Anonymousreply 6103/31/2013

I love how R52 wets her pants going to bat for a huge child-labor corporation like the Gap. Defend your corporate overlords, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 6203/31/2013

No bricks-and-mortar shops here.

by Anonymousreply 6303/31/2013

Sorry Op, but I don't think wearing once allows you to return.

I've brought things home after buying without trying them on in the store. Try them on at home and don't like the fit. I then return. I don't take off the tags and walk around them all day and then decide they don't fit.

I've brought things that I couldn't afford got them home and decided, this isn't as good as I thought, for the price, and then put them back in the bag and returned to the store. I did not decide they were too much after I wore them once.

I've never gotten attitude when I've returned unworn merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 6403/31/2013

[quote]The return was taken out of the Sales Associate's check.

Oh I sincerely doubt that. Maybe they got docked the commission, but I don't think it would be fair at all for a sales associate to pay for an $800 pair of worn shoes.

by Anonymousreply 6503/31/2013

I GOT my education! I GOT my education!

by Anonymousreply 6603/31/2013

[quote]Oh I sincerely doubt that. Maybe they got docked the commission, but I don't think it would be fair at all for a sales associate to pay for an $800 pair of worn shoes.

Of course it was the commission silly. But I don't think the Sales Associate should have to pay $80 because you wanted to rob the store. Which in the above mentioned scenario, the sales associate would.

by Anonymousreply 6703/31/2013

Is OP the TJ Maxx troll?

by Anonymousreply 6803/31/2013

[quote]Return anything you don't like. fuck any naysayers.

Really? When I buy something new, I expect it to be new - not worn and discarded by some pissy prig who thinks s/he can get away with whatever s/he likes.

I bought a black linen sheath dress from Saks. I had a hot date with the woman of my dreams and I was determined to look my best. I was showered and clean when I put the dress on. Thank jeebus I didn't walk right out of the house after putting the dress on because after wearing it for about ten minutes, there arose such a vile stank from the pits. It was a nasty underarm odor that absolutely was not coming from me. I took the dress off and smelled the pit area and almost fainted from the stench. This dress had obviously been worn for some time before I purchased it.

The dress went back the next day and I demanded to speak to a manager and complained about the nasty dress and my ruined evening.

by Anonymousreply 6903/31/2013

The only department store I can think of that sells high-end shoes and has an extremely liberal return policy is Nordstrom, but I'm not buying the tale of returned shoes being taken out of a salesperson's pay.

by Anonymousreply 7003/31/2013

I'm glad she gave you attitude OP, you deserved it. As do all of you wear-once-and-return queens.

by Anonymousreply 7103/31/2013

[quote]I took the dress off and smelled the pit area and almost fainted from the stench.

MARY! Oh, wait: you're a lesbian. GARY!

by Anonymousreply 7203/31/2013

The dress had such a strong odor and you somehow didn't notice it until 10 minutes AFTER you had it on? Did the odor somehow magically activate after you had it on for 10 minutes?

by Anonymousreply 7303/31/2013

I didn't notice it when I put the dress on, R73. I do think the heat of my body activated the odor.

by Anonymousreply 7403/31/2013

r73 - Many times, it takes moisture (for instance, from your body) for any stench engrained into a fabric to kick in.

Try it next time you dry clothes that were hanging out wet in the washer for more than 3 hours.

Fresh out of the dryer the clothes are fine, and then you wear them, and all hell breaks loose.

by Anonymousreply 7503/31/2013

R69, any returned item that is not in perfect condition should not be sold or should be sold at a discount. That's obvious and has nothing to do with a customer's right to return something. It was the store's decision to put your dress back on the shelf, not the customer.

And your logic that those who return items are trying to get away with something is ridiculous. Of course there are some customers who do this, and is again, part of the PROCESS and the retail biz.

And finally, do you realize you're defending a company who knowingly wanted to sell you imperfect merchandise at full price? Get a grip honey, the only side you should be on is your own.

by Anonymousreply 7603/31/2013

All you bitches screaming "OP ROBBED THE STORE!" really need to unclench your assholes. The Gap and most stores like it charge a ridiculous markup on shitty clothes that probably cost them pennies to make. The people who run the company make themselves ridiculously wealthy doing this. The store doesn't need a bunch of shrieking queens to valiantly rush to its defense. OP RETURNED merchandise that he had paid full price for and the store will no doubt promptly sell the jeans for the same exact price again to someone else, and you all are acting like he took a bunch of merchandise into the dressing room, deactivated the security tags, stuffed it in a bag, walked out, and THEN demanded a "refund." And I agree that the store clerk shouldn't have been a bitch about it, unless the clothes were obviously damaged to the point of never being able to be sold again (like in R28's example - ewwwww). It's not like it affects her life or salary in any way, so why the fuck should she care?

by Anonymousreply 7703/31/2013

[quote]The only department store I can think of that sells high-end shoes and has an extremely liberal return policy is Nordstrom, but I'm not buying the tale of returned shoes being taken out of a salesperson's pay.

Bloomingdale's sweetheart. They have a very liberal return policy. And the Sales Associate loses the commission on returned items, obviously. So when you are robbing a store, the SA loses the money out of his check. And that's up to five months after the purchase.

by Anonymousreply 7803/31/2013

You amoral whores that all think it's perfectly fine to return something can make all the justifications you want, but you are ultimately only punching yourself in the face.

When there's shrink and loss in a store, the costs are passed on to the customer. I hate mega corporations, but I can tell you that they damn well aren't passing those costs to the shareholders.

This goes 100x more for local businesses.

And then there's the fact that it's just piggy, and unethical. You may think it's fine, just like you do when you download hundreds of songs and think, "oh, the artist/record company is rich, I don't have to pay them."

But I'm sure if your employer didn't pay your fat ass by midnight on payday, you'd insist the world stop turning and create a hue and cry until someone paid you for your work/goods. Hypocritical much?

by Anonymousreply 7903/31/2013

R54. What an accomplishment. I ant imagine how his mother must feel...the pride alone.

by Anonymousreply 8003/31/2013

OK - many of you need to relax. The percentage of people returning items to a store is minimal compared to the actual successful sales. The formula for success - and the sales model for most retail - is selling stuff that's so desirable (notice I'm not saying "good") that it won't be returned. If you don't believe that, you should not even compete.

Major losses are not the issue. That is why return policies are so liberal. The only time they are not, is on items on sale that they need to clear to get rid of inventory and make space for new, obscenely marked up stuff. And with Mom and Pop shops where every penny counts.

Some of you speak like the stores are losing billions to returned merchandise. R79 particularly made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 8103/31/2013

And the comparison to the music industry is not valid. Two different beasts.

It's not like one can take a dress from the rack, look at it, press a button and have it instantly reproduce itself in the original quality. Then press another button and have 200 copies done.

by Anonymousreply 8203/31/2013

Even if the item isn't returned, there's no guarantee you're getting a "new" item.

Just how many times do you think your garment has been tried on in the store by people wearing and wearing undergarments?

Do you think everyone who tries on clothing is hygienic and not leaving a little something behind?

by Anonymousreply 8303/31/2013

The saleslady knew that you were the person who dropped a deuce in the changing room.

by Anonymousreply 8403/31/2013

I think R79 is right on. Because I don't think people who have this "wear once and return attitude" reserve it exclusively for places like The Gap. I know a number of independent business owners who have told me that these corporations establishing lax return standards have given many of their customers unreasonable expectations when it comes to bending policies. The reek of entitlement in this thread is indicative of that. I mean, if you're gonna be a cheap-ass shady bitch, at least admit that's what you're doing. Cool it with the "my money, my time" or "the big companies don't care" bullshit justifications.

And honestly, if you wear something once or twice and don't like it, why not just donate it to Goodwill or something? I'm sure a lot of consignment stores or thrift shops would love to have some lightly-worn merch. If getting back that $75 dollars or whatever means that much to you, you probably can't afford it in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 8503/31/2013

"Plus, they were $70, too much for something from there."

Then why did you buy them in the first place, you fucking idiot? If you look down your nose at The Gap don't go there.

by Anonymousreply 8603/31/2013

So---we all agree? OP should die in a grease fire in designer jeans?

by Anonymousreply 8703/31/2013

Yep, I concur r87.

by Anonymousreply 8803/31/2013

As long as he saves the receipt somewhere safe so one of his trashy relatives can bring back the burnt jean remains and get a refund.... 'cause you know he learned it from somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 8903/31/2013

This thread is an excellent argument for laundering "new" clothes after purchasing them.

Which I never, ever did. Until a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 9003/31/2013

R14, as long as he didn't wear his ASK cologne, what's the diff?

by Anonymousreply 9103/31/2013

The crotch funk in the so-called never worn jeans gave you away.

by Anonymousreply 9203/31/2013

[quote]The Gap and most stores like it charge a ridiculous markup on shitty clothes that probably cost them pennies to make.

Um, have you ever *been* to a Gap store? Their clothes are inexpensive, and they probably mark them up in the same fashion as every other retailer: 2x the wholesale cost. The Fisher family, which founded Gap (and bought Banana Republic, along with launching Old Navy and Piperlime), became rich only because Gap stores are so ubiquitous. Ditto the Walton family and Walmart: their margins are minimal, but they make gazillions because it's the largest chain (and largest employer) in America and they make money on the basis of volume.

by Anonymousreply 9303/31/2013

[r59]: proving my point.

by Anonymousreply 9403/31/2013

Ya only work in a shop ya'know

by Anonymousreply 9503/31/2013

Wow, I can't believe the bitchy queens in this thread, such stereotypes and in many cases, oh so fake responses trying to be snarky and/or funny.

A sales person, cashier or whatever the fuck store workers call themselves these days, has absolutely no right to give attitude to a customer who is returning an item with a legitimate sales receipt. These workers don't own the damn store, they need to do their jobs and return the customer's money or exchange the item. Period. Unless the item is damaged or smells, there is no reason to stall or embarrass a customer

If a store's return policies are clear, IE: posted about the cash registers, it's none of a store worker's business, why a person is returning an item.

Stores deal with 'loss' everyday, it's irrelevant if an item was worn once or even worn for an event then returned. Store executives already realize the public does these things, they return items!

Stores are STILL profiting when items are returned and even when items are stolen.

I worked at buying office for many years, the markups are very high and the idiots posting here need to get off their high horses, because you are coming across as clueless re return policies and are assuming these stores are suffering loses, they are not.

For example, a female friend wanted a blouse from a designer my buying office was dealing with. At the time, early 1990s, the blouse was $55 at Lord & Taylor. I told my friend to go try the blouse on at L&T because it was in specific sizes, not just S, M and L.

The buyer then ordered the blouse. My friend's cost from the buying office was just $4! She then ordered another two. While I worked there I got suits and leather jackets from high end designers at a fraction of even sample sale prices.

Don't argue about things you know nothing about to make the OP feel small, he had every right to return the jeans!

I always get a huge laugh out of the attitude of some store workers, especially as, in most cases, these workers are getting nothing but a small paycheck.

Why be so loyal to a company which, in most instances, they are not paying their fair share of taxes and they are not even paying for their worker's health insurance, screw that!

Two huge companies which have avoided taxes over the past few years, GE and Carnival Cruises, both billion dollar industries. Anyone who is crazy enough to defend such companies needs their head examined.

by Anonymousreply 9603/31/2013

Yes thats whats we need! Examples from over 20 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 9703/31/2013

Thank you, r96!

by Anonymousreply 9803/31/2013

[quote]If a store's return policies are clear, IE: posted about the cash registers, it's none of a store worker's business, why a person is returning an item.

9 out of 10 stores have that return policy in faint print on the back of the sales receipt. The vast majority of these clothing stores require clothes to be unwashed AND unworn to be eligible for a refund. Of course, they bend the policy to make people happy, but they dont have to do anything once you wear or wash the clothes. They cant sell that item for the same price as they could for a piece of new clothing.

by Anonymousreply 9903/31/2013

[quote]These workers don't own the damn store, they need to do their jobs and return the customer's money or exchange the item. Period.

Their JOB includes abiding by store policy, and I can assure you that NO STORE ON EARTH allows used clothing to be returned unless it had some manufacturing defect undetected until after wearing.

[quote]Two huge companies which have avoided taxes over the past few years, GE and Carnival Cruises, both billion dollar industries.

What the flying *fuck* do GE or Carnival have to do with a thread about returning clothes??

by Anonymousreply 10003/31/2013

I be bustin' high-society doyenne queens like erryday, mmm-hmmm!

by Anonymousreply 10203/31/2013

I'm sure the attitude had more to do with recognizing you as someone who constantly buys stuff and returns it for some bullshit reason. You're on a list.

by Anonymousreply 10303/31/2013

I'm about to get deleted!

by Anonymousreply 10403/31/2013

I am going to go with the posters who said they like to try on things at home. I will try things on in a store and think this can not possibly look this bad due to the store's lighting. Even Loehmann's dropped their no return policy.

by Anonymousreply 10503/31/2013

R105, there is nothing wrong with trying something on at home. There is EVERYTHING wrong with actually *wearing* a garment out in public and THEN returning it.

by Anonymousreply 10603/31/2013

R103 is a shit-eating SALESBOTTOM.

by Anonymousreply 10703/31/2013

Why is everyone so corporation friendly and screw the individual? Caveat emptor for all of you, hmm?

R51, you're mistaken. I usually ask every store I patronize about their return policy. Unless I'm so certain there's no way I'd ever not want the product. Because I'm rather indecisive, and sometimes I want to run a purchase by someone who's not with me before committing. You'd be surprised how lenient many places are - I always stay within their guidelines. If they are strict about returns, I'm more cautious about buying.

I don't even like returns because it means I have to make another trip to the store rather than living my life, but if the item quality is poor and it breaks, or if I just change my mind, I return. If I even get around to it (have gotten stuck with lots of duds over the years because I'm too busy to bother). We all have to pay more when we unknowingly buy shoddy items that break. It is the company's responsibility, not the customer's. Let the company absorb that cost and perhaps choose to sell things that last instead (bearing in mind quality vs. price - if you bought something really cheap, well, you got what you paid for).

I don't buy things intending to wear and return. But I will make good use of a return policy if I'm unhappy. And I'm fair about it. And I've still gotten burned by purchases. One was a set of bamboo sheets. The salesperson told me they last, don't pill, etc. She told me how often she laundered hers and how long she'd had them. Either she lied to me or somehow I got the bad set. They were expensive and pilled rather soon. I wouldn't have bought them if I knew they would do that. And I was stuck with them.

by Anonymousreply 10803/31/2013

Next time i'm going to wear something TWICE and return it!

by Anonymousreply 10903/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 11004/01/2013

The solution to this conundrum is REGIFTING.

Tidy up that mess, put it in a box with a chartreuse bow and put it under the Christmas tree for someone you love...or hate.

by Anonymousreply 11104/01/2013

"Yes thats whats we need! Examples from over 20 years ago!"

The point was, you moron, is that markups are still the same as 20 years ago, very high.

Have you ever gone to a liquidator type store which sells designer clothes along with the lower priced brands? Or even a designer outlet store? Even though the public assumes they are getting deals, these stores and outlets are still making excellent profits. The actual wholesale prices are extremely low.

The biggest rip-offs are designer clothing, handbags and shoes. I suggest some of you here do some research. "Designer' brands are some of the biggest scams going. The quality isn't even as great as some people think it is.

by Anonymousreply 11204/01/2013

Just because corporations are unethical and have high mark ups on clothing does not make it right for an individual to be unethical. It is taking advantage of a situation which is selfish.

Think of whatever line of work you're in. How would you like it if consumers used your work for their needs and returned it once their needs were met, leaving you without a paycheck?

That said, attitude isn't necessary and the salesperson responded to the situation unprofessionally. You were both in the wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11304/01/2013

OP is no different from a shop lifter. Both deprive the store of new items to sell.

by Anonymousreply 11404/01/2013

Sometimes you can't tell if there are manufacturing defects in an article of clothing until you actually wear the garment. Now that clothes are made in third world places by slave labor the quality is very bad, the fit is bad.

Mirrors in dressing rooms are sometimes rigged to make the garment look better than it actally is. The lighting can be very strange as well. So, yes, the fit and color can indeed look off.

I worked retail for years. Customer returns in cases like the OP happen, and are an expected part of doing business.

by Anonymousreply 11504/01/2013

Wrong, r114. The shoplifter steals the item for his/her own gain. The OP wore the item and found it to be defective in some way, so returned it. The merchandise is back in the store. Stores can then return it to the manufacturer for credit (very common, or used to be) or donate the item. It is not the same as if it were stolen.Stolen represents a COMPLETE loss to the store.Returns do not.

by Anonymousreply 11604/01/2013

I agree with r96.

by Anonymousreply 11704/01/2013

One can be a fire-eating, anti-corporation Marxist and still find that returning an item of clothing that has absorbed your body odors disgusting.

Damn, learn to sew your own clothes.

by Anonymousreply 11804/01/2013

R101 = Fat racist. What a prize.

by Anonymousreply 11904/01/2013

You're all seriously entitled.

And apparently, it's always, always, ALWAYS someone else's fault or responsibility, never yours.

by Anonymousreply 12004/01/2013

Let me AXE you this, OP: Why should some cheapskate who can't make up his mind in the shop or in his bedroom, who has to wear an article of clothing for a day, stretching it out, along the way impregnating it with his sweat and grime and stink and skin cells, why should this fool be allowed to come home and pass off a late-discovered ill-fit as buyer's remorse and then get all uppity and haughty at the store employee?

As if your shortcomings were her fucking fault?

by Anonymousreply 12104/01/2013

Yeah, but she didn't know all that, R121. She copped an attitude with me on sight.

by Anonymousreply 12204/01/2013

Well played, OP.

You've created a perfect storm of evil queens, nasty salesbottoms, enraged Marxists, corporate drones, ex-salesbitches, and entitled shoppers.

I LOVE these threads.

by Anonymousreply 12304/01/2013

[quote]The OP wore the item and found it to be defective in some way, so returned it.

OP did NOT find it to be defective in any way.

OP is defective. After wearing the garment for three days, he decided he didn't like the color and the fit, something that sane, intelligent people know when they try on jeans in the store. IT WAS NOT DEFECTIVE.

He returned USED clothing, pretending it was not worn. It could not be sold by the store. OP is no different from a shoplifter.

by Anonymousreply 12404/01/2013

[quote]it's none of a store worker's business, why a person is returning an item.

You certainly failed "Business 101." Do you really think a store doesn't care if something being returned had ripped apart at the seams before the customer wore it. Do you think they wouldn't care to know that the buttons don't match? Duh!

You sound like the type who would buy a new car, R96, drive it for a month and return it, demanding a full refund because you decided you don't like the color. You and OP ought to get together. You're meant for each other.

by Anonymousreply 12504/01/2013

Every time I have to return something and one of these employee has this attitude, I get irritated. Just like you said OP, what business of theirs if I return it? Its not like they own the business or their loyalty will be rewarded by the company.

by Anonymousreply 12604/02/2013

OP is entitled, but what shocks me the most in this thread is that most of you don't wash the clothes after you buy them. And not just because someone wore them before, but what about chemicals, dye and all other shit that clothes have been exposed to from manufacturing to shipping and storing. Ewwww!

by Anonymousreply 12704/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 12804/02/2013

Apparently white privilege includes buying clothes, funking them up and then having your ass kissed for returning them. I'm not sure how you even function from day to day with such a grand sense of entitlement; eagerly expecting the world around you to lick your ass hole all day everyday. As for the amusing anecdotes about the time you encountered a person from another ethnic group who was mean to you; please give it a rest. Being that the majority of the population in this country is white; do you know how many rude ignorant white people I have encountered in my life. For that matter, do you know how many I encounter after just spending a few minutes here on datalounge. I however understand that ignorance and poor breeding are not limited to any one ethnicity. If I based my opinion about whites on datalounge; I would assume ignorance, stupidity, and bigotry are all inherent to the white race. That would make me just as ignorant and poorly bred as the tacky fool who wears clothes then returns them.

by Anonymousreply 12904/02/2013

Not so much the store itself r125 but the salesperson.

by Anonymousreply 13004/02/2013

One vile thing I've read on this thread is the term "Salesbottm" used as an insult.

Why vile ? Because it perpetuates the notion that a Bottom is somehow inferior, therefore that a Top is somehow "better" or more valid. You don't agree ? Then ask yourself why the insult isn't "Salestop". And I write this as a top, but one who is thankful daily for the lovely bottom guys who I have great times with.

This idea, ingrained with a spoonful of self-hate, that bottom guys are "less than" or worthy of abuse is just so vile. Grow up, fools.

by Anonymousreply 13104/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!