Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Found a wallet loaded with I.D. Need advice on how to return it.

This AM while waiting for the bus, I found a small wallet. No money, but stuffed with a guy’s I.D. (He is 22). This is in the Toronto area.

The wallet has:

Driver’s License, Library Card, Health Card, and SIN Card. That is all.

But I don’t know how to track him down to return wallet. He has a very common name, and by googling him and looking on Facebook, too many variations of his name pop up. Plus using Facebook none of the profiles matching his name, match his picture on his Driver’s License.

There is an address on his Driver’s Licence, but when I do a reverse lookup on his phone number a recorded message comes up saying ‘The number has not been assigned’

I don’t want to just show up, unannounced on his doorstep.

I want to be a good Samaritan, because this I.D. is very important.

But how do I get it back to him?

Please advise, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 4203/31/2013

Hand it to the police, the have ways of returning it.

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

Put a post-it on his door asking him to confirm the post wallet and his name. You can set up an email address if you're not comfortable using your own. Do it quickily so that he doesn't go and cancel everything...

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

If we assume you can't get past your reluctance to go the address on his driver's license, the key is the library card. The library can probably contact him on your behalf.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

Because the phone number assigned to the address is out of service, I'm reluctant to go to the address. He might have moved, but didn't bother to get a new Driver's License.

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

Is he hot? Anything racy in his wallet?

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

Mail the wallet to the address. If he's no longer there, he should be having his mail forwarded for up to a year.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

Nothing racy in his wallet.

Is he hot? Average

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

R6 I thought about that, but this I.D. is way too important for it to be stuck in the mail.

Health Card and Driver's License is not something someone can afford to be without for even a week.

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2013;;;;

You can go to to library he patronizes and ask them to track him down. They often have the updated address.

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

[quote] SIN Card

Geez! You need a card for everything these days!

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

Go to the address and leave a note on the door. State that if he lost a wallet, contact you either by telephone or email, and to confirm his name when contacting you.

Or see if you can look him up on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

SIN Card = Social Insurance Card

Personally speaking, this guy is an idiot to be carrying that around. He should memorize the number and keep the card at home.

The government is actually phasing out the card.

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

Mail it to the address on the ID card. That's what someone good-hearted person did when I lost my wallet. It gave me a little faith in humanity.

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

Try the "Find my iPhone" application.

by Anonymousreply 1403/31/2013

I've never understood how your SS # is supposed to be guarded with your life. When anybody and everybody has access to it: banks, credit card cos., schools, medical practices, insurance companies, DMV/BMV, the IRS....

I've seen literally thousands of them in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 1503/31/2013

R15 it is a mistake to give it to all those places.

It should not be given at all, unless you get hired for a job. And that is only for tax purposes.

If you get asked, write in "When applicable"

by Anonymousreply 1603/31/2013

Give it over to the nearest police station or drop it in the closest mail box.

by Anonymousreply 1703/31/2013

OP, mail it to the address on the DL. There are plenty of reasons the phone number associated with the address might be disconnected, particularly since most younger people don't even *have* landlines these days. Also, if he's moved, the postal service should have his forwarding address.

by Anonymousreply 1803/31/2013

Drop it with the police and writer a letter to the name and address on the ID and mail it there, telling him which Division to pick it up at.

(BTW, a letter is a piece of paper with words on it. You fold in and put it inside another piece of paper called an envelope. You can tell an envelop from a flat piece of paper because it has a flap. Lick the sticky edge of the flap. This is the glue that holds the flap down. Take another small piece of paper called a stamp and put it on the front of the envelope. You will know it is a stamp because you have to buy it and it is usually very colourful. Drop the stamped envelope in a place called a mail box. they are often red and usually have the word Mail on them someplace. Then it's done. Magically the papers will go to the guy's house and you don't even have to hit Get Mail. Sometimes this takes awhile. If it's decades, there will be a story about it in the local newspaper. A newspaper is...)

by Anonymousreply 1903/31/2013

Listen to the song called Wallet by Regina Spektor.

by Anonymousreply 2003/31/2013

[quote]This AM while waiting for the bus,

by Anonymousreply 2103/31/2013

Take the wallet to the library. The library can track him down using his library card contact info, then they can call him and tell him he can pick up the wallet there.

To make sure the library takes the wallet, tell them you found the wallet in the library. That may be a lie but it ensures that they locate him.

I think also I've heard of people dropping found wallets in mailboxes. The postal employees may deliver it to him if his current address is in the wallet. But they might NOT deliver it, too.

The library is your best bet. I work in a library and we do the above frequently.

by Anonymousreply 2203/31/2013

R19 where do I go to buy the stamp?

by Anonymousreply 2303/31/2013

Take it to the police precinct nearest his address.

by Anonymousreply 2403/31/2013

Just to end this thread, I just came back from the Police Stations.

Handed to the clerk, and just left.

Hope he gets it back.

Thanks to all that responded.

by Anonymousreply 2503/31/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2603/31/2013

R26 I just dropped off the wallet at the Police Station. They didn't take my name or address.

I think the owner would be more grateful for the ID than the money.

BTW there was NO MONEY in the wallet.

by Anonymousreply 2703/31/2013

[quote]The owner can always accuse you of lifting money out of it and how do you prove you didn't.

Um, the burden is on the *accuser*, not the accused, to prove such a claim is true. Unless one has a history of pickpocketing, there would generally be a presumption of innocence in such an instance.

by Anonymousreply 2803/31/2013

They can accuse you all you want, they wouldn't get anywhere with it. Any one could have taken anything from it and dumped the wallet before the person returning it found it. The fact that the person who found it is making an attempt to return it would look favorable on them anyway because if they took anything they could have just trashed the wallet and not bothered.

by Anonymousreply 2903/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 3003/31/2013

This is how and where you sought advice?

by Anonymousreply 3103/31/2013

A friend always reverses his SSN last four digits when he fills out medical forms. Can this work against him somewhere down the line?

by Anonymousreply 3203/31/2013

Well R30 the cops didn't take my name or address. My finger prints are not on file.

So I guess I dodged a bullet!

by Anonymousreply 3303/31/2013

Can you cite when this happened ever?

by Anonymousreply 3403/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 3503/31/2013

Sort of like the immigrants who pile into a car and deliberate crash into another car, and sue for whiplash.

Right R35?

by Anonymousreply 3603/31/2013

and do they actually have a case r26/r35?

by Anonymousreply 3703/31/2013

[quote]You can go to to library he patronizes and ask them to track him down. They often have the updated address.

What is this, 1977? Who the hell uses a library anymore?

by Anonymousreply 3803/31/2013

I do, R38.

by Anonymousreply 3903/31/2013

I have just dropped it in the mailbox. Sometimes when there is no money, there WAS money and then when you return it people look at you like you took it.

by Anonymousreply 4003/31/2013

r38, a lot of people. Students and now that computers and free wi-fi is there the library is packed.

by Anonymousreply 4103/31/2013

R38 sounds like that pissed-off guy with all the money in the "I Returned Something to the Gap" thread.

by Anonymousreply 4203/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!