Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does soaking food in olive oil somehow rid it of calories

In Istanbul with relatives I ate a LOT of bread at 200 per slice, soaked in olive oil, along with all kinds of food with oil, oil and more oil. Even many of those little lamb pasta with the chili and olive oil along with yogurt.

I lost weight but calculating my calories I was eating close to 1,000 more per day????

by Anonymousreply 9104/02/2013

No high-fructose corn syrup, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

Maybe you were moving your fat ass around a bit more than usual.

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

You were probably more active and the fat in olive oil can keep you feeling full longer. Also while traveling you tend not to snack like you would at home.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

Your vacation was also a vacation from eating trans-fats, growth hormones and high-fructuse corn syrup.

You were probably walking a lot more too.

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

You got rid of the vegetable oil in your diet and replaced it with olive oil, which is much better for you.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

R3 I was not more active, and I never snack at home, but did have an afternoon tea snack there.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

fucked harder by bigger dicks?

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

Other than the health benefits, I cannot think of one good thing that olive oil brings to my cooking.

Certainly not the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2013

1,000 calories is not very much unless you're really petite...

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

Yes, dear. Try soaking your next Big Max in olive oil and you'll be amazed.

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

R8 what olive oil do you use?

Mine has massive flavor.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

Kroger brand

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

Much of the "olive oil" sold in the US is fake: canola oil with green coloring.

You can only be sure olive oil is real if it comes from California. Anything from Spain, Italy, or Greece is not to be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

R12 read the great olive oil fraud. Then look up the University studies. Kroger brand has NO OLIVES in the oil at all. Just doctored up Canola. Thus your problem, no health benefits there.

by Anonymousreply 1403/31/2013

Read more about the fraud here Kroger fan.

by Anonymousreply 1503/31/2013

R10's suggestion to soak Big Max in olive oil has done wonders for our sex life!

by Anonymousreply 1603/31/2013

Ha, ha.

Likely I am being cheated with my Kroger brand olive oil that says it is a blend of olive oils from Italy, Greece, Spain and Tunisia.

Thank goodness I didn't pay a lot for it then!

As a commodity -- like sugar, salt, and flour to me -- I have no interest in paying a lot of money for a bottle of olive oil since, even with the high purchase price, I cannot be assured my oil is 100% pure olive oil.

So, really, it just means I am buying on a hope and prayer because I am not a food chemist and don't want to pay one to test every bottle of the oil I buy. Therefore, if the info contained in the links above are true, it's a crapshoot I am getting what I think I am paying for -- so my strategy is to pay less for it -- hence, Kroger brand olive oil!

So really, if some intrepid young attorney wanting to cut his or her teeth on an easily winnable class action suit, all they'd have to do is invest some money for a food test by a chemist, and if the oil Kroger labels as 100% olive oil is in fact adulterated, why, they could earn millions for themselves.

Shit, I am going to look into this. How much is a food test by a chemist?

I can be the nominal plaintiff!! Look out, Kroger Company!

Easy street soon for me, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 1703/31/2013

R17 Universities have done the chemistry for you.

If you read the studies you can in fact find out which olive oils are real. Virtually NONE available in grocery stores are legit however.

by Anonymousreply 1803/31/2013

Do you believe that all purity tests remain valid over time, r18?

I don't.

I think the oil adulterations aren't ever-moving target.

by Anonymousreply 1903/31/2013

Pardon -- "ARE an ever-moving target."

by Anonymousreply 2003/31/2013

Believe it or not, your best bet for every day olive oil is Costco.

by Anonymousreply 2103/31/2013

R8 = Canadian, trying much too hard and still so miserable, she has to troll American websites to peddle her tiresome, failed snark.

by Anonymousreply 2203/31/2013

So... can someone recommend a California brand, or an authentically olive-y import?

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 2303/31/2013

R22, Canadians spell "flavor" as "flavour".

by Anonymousreply 2403/31/2013

Trader Joe's California Estate

by Anonymousreply 2503/31/2013

The Trader Joe's olive oil is supposed to be one of the best. It's not too expensive and has a great taste.

by Anonymousreply 2603/31/2013

R23 just buy a bottle that has a california council olive oil label. After reading that UC Davis study I won't buy anything else. Like R21 says Costco does carry some bottles that are CCOO approved. As for brands specifically, I know California Olive Ranch is arguably the largest producer of CCOO approved olive oil (I see their stuff everywhere, from Costco to downmarket stores like Savemart).

by Anonymousreply 2703/31/2013

We do not have Trader Joe's in my area.

Are there other suggestions for a California-sourced or otherwise 100% pure olive oil?

by Anonymousreply 2803/31/2013

You can look for the California Olive Oil Council seal on the label. They are set up to protect the California olive oil market from fraud, and it is your best assurance that the product is authentic, though I suppose no system is perfect.

There is also an International Olive Oil Council for imported oils, but I believe they have been caught certifying adulterated oil in the past.

I have never seen either seal on any oil sold in supermarkets.

One study (University of Davis, maybe?) claimed that Costco's Kirkland brand organic extra-virgin olive oil was authentic, but the label doesn't include the COOC seal.

COOC seal image at link.

by Anonymousreply 2903/31/2013

Also, as another poster mentioned you were not consuming American GMO bread but bread with a better amino acid composition. That's probably the reason you seek more than the olive oil factor.

by Anonymousreply 3003/31/2013

You do realize that the COOC is an industry group whose interest is selling olive oil from California at $15 a liter?

Their protestations over imported olive oil are starting to come off as somewhat self-serving.

by Anonymousreply 3103/31/2013

I do believe it's the combination of a different climate, vacation activities, and eating more healthy food than the stuff you get in the US.

While I do live on a budget I always buy high quality olive oil. Using high quality oil and cutting my sugar intake down to around 10% (no soft drinks, cakes, and sweets) made me lose 25 pounds within six weeks without doing any extra workout or gym class.

by Anonymousreply 3203/31/2013

R30 at home I bake my own bread and get non GMO flour so that would not be the reason either.

by Anonymousreply 3303/31/2013

I always buy my Olive oil from a lady that sells @ farmer's market. $16 for a 24oz. container.

She's always going on and on about not buying Oil form groceries stores.

Another Mexican lady who sells Olive oil gave me a tip about finding out if your oil is fake or not. You put them in the refrigerator or something... but I forgot. :(

I'm not sure how true this is but there's also the "COOC" seal of approval. However how trustworthy is it?

by Anonymousreply 3403/31/2013

R34 if it's real olive oil it will solidify in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 3503/31/2013

Do you think it's likely the adulterators know just how much real olive oil to blend in so that it passes the refrigerator test?

Remember, for the adulterators, the whole idea is to get the most money.

I posit this is most easily done by stretching rather than wholesale substitution.

by Anonymousreply 3603/31/2013

Who knows R36 People would do anything to sell their products, so I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

I just checked the bottle of EVOO the lady @ the farmers market sold me. It has a website, and it's the most tragic thing ever!

I'm going to die, aren't I!!!? AREN'T I?????

by Anonymousreply 3703/31/2013

Where do they get extra virgin olive oil?

From extra ugly sheep...

LOL

by Anonymousreply 3803/31/2013

I'm dense, r38.

I don't get your post.

by Anonymousreply 3903/31/2013

He messed up the joke. It should read from extra ugly olives.

by Anonymousreply 4003/31/2013

It's Constantinople, not Istanbul.

by Anonymousreply 4103/31/2013

R41 they had a name change like snoop dog.

by Anonymousreply 4204/01/2013

I tried the fridge test on my olive oil. It did not solidify which means I won't be buying that brand anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4304/01/2013

Counting calories won't make you lose weight. It's carbs. End of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 4404/01/2013

R41 Byzantium

by Anonymousreply 4504/01/2013

I'm not surprised about the olive oil fraud.

I grew up on overseas family-supplied Middle Eastern olive oil. Any so-called olive oil I've ever tasted from the supermarket had no resemblance to the stuff I knew to be real olive oil.

I feel bad for anyone paying a lot of money thinking they're getting the real deal. Greed and lies on the part of manufacturers.

Republicans make me sick with their "deregulation" bullshit. I mean how far do they want us to take it? Should manufacturers be allowed to piss into a bottle, mix in some motor oil and still be allowed to call it olive oil?

by Anonymousreply 4604/01/2013

R44 total bullshit.

I am at my thinnest when I eschew much meat and eat largely carbs.

by Anonymousreply 4704/01/2013

Just how much weight did you lose? You say you ate bread all the time, which doesn't ever help, but if you reduced sugar somehow that might've been it. All the oil MAY have affected your digestion/absorption too, depending on what your own physiology is like, but there's a limit to that.

by Anonymousreply 4804/01/2013

R48 I never eat sugar at home so there was no reduction to be had. I lost 8 lbs.

I ate bread with every meal, Pide (white flour) Pita like bread (whole wheat) and a flat bread (multi grain including flax).

Favorite lunch, seasoned ground lamb with herbs spread on flat bread, baked crisp and doused with olive oil and more fresh herbs.

Between the fruit, vegetables, beans, pasta and bread my carb consumption tripled.

by Anonymousreply 4904/01/2013

OP, keep eating exactly as you were eating on vacation and come back and post results here after 2 weeks. If you are cutting out 1,000 calories a day, you should lose 4 lbs in 2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 5004/01/2013

What brand is the best then?

by Anonymousreply 5104/01/2013

I added a thousand calories per day, I did not cut them.

by Anonymousreply 5204/01/2013

R51 if it is a BRAND commonly available it is not legit. My favorite is Hurriya, but it is in speciality stores, not grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 5304/01/2013

ok, so you should gain 4 lbs in 2 weeks. Come back in 2 weeks and tell us if you did, and eat exactly as you did in Istanbul.

by Anonymousreply 5404/01/2013

I think (and if the OP story is real) the contributing factors are no GMOs, no hormone laded meats, real and not fake olive oils. Sugar w/foods and not corn syrup. Beans also regulate blood sugar. And the increased oil intake could increase satiety.

My daughter spent some time in France. She mentioned that the everyday food items such as bread, butter, and hot chocolate are much better in France than US.

by Anonymousreply 5504/01/2013

Agree with R53 in that if you want *real* olive oil, you have to go to a specialty/ethnic shop because the regular customers are going in for something that tastes like "home," so they aren't going to use an inferior olive oil with canola mixed into it.

If you want to know what olive oil should taste like (and I can only speak to Middle Eastern oil), it should have a "green/grassy" taste to it with a bit of a burn in the throat.

I don't really cook with it because obviously it has a low smoke point and you're losing the benefits when you heat it. It's better if you add it after you've cooked your food with an oil that can take heat or butter.

by Anonymousreply 5604/01/2013

How do you normally eat in this country? You mention you don't snack, but what else? What's a typical daily diet for you?

But yes, the Mediterranean diet (Italy, Greece, Turkey...) is often recommended for weight loss/general health. Real olive oil is a "good fat" in the same way that avocado is. All my relatives in Italy eat well and are at a healthy weight, same goes for my Italian relatives in this country who continue to eat in the "old school" way.

if you're in NYC, you can find real Olive Oil at specialty stores.

by Anonymousreply 5704/01/2013

No- hardly. Olive oil is one of the fats/oils that is good for you, but like all fats it is 9 calories per gram versus 4 calories per gram for carbohydrate and protein. Don't eat to much of it.

Eat colorful fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain carbs (whole wheat, rolled oats, brown rice etc), lean meat in moderation, fish 2-3 times per week, poultry baked or broils and without the skin if you are trying to lose weight. Avoid sweets and added sugars of all kinds and food high in animal fat (cheese, whole milk dairy). You can eat these later items, but in moderation.

Eat 3 meals per day, don't skip b'fast (makes you more likely to overeat later in the day). No snacks. Ever! No one needs snacks they are an invention of the food industry.

Eat your meals consciously- never in front of the TV at work mindlessly.

Portion control is key.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 5804/01/2013

R57 in this country my diet WAS high protein low carb, low fat.

I am not eating as close to I can when I was in Turkey, I do have real olive oil, though it is high cost here.

So far no weight has come back on, though I do bake my own bread and do not use American flour.

by Anonymousreply 5904/01/2013

Um, come on, RD. You can eat more than 3 times a day if you have small meals every few hours that are planned in advance. It's the same amount of total food, and many people get a peak metabolism going that way.

by Anonymousreply 6004/01/2013

What about the Olive Oil at the Fairway markets in the NYC area? If you go to their website they make a really big deal over their olive oil. Could all that be a lie and if so, since they brag about it so much wouldn't someone have caught them by now?

by Anonymousreply 6104/01/2013

RD?

by Anonymousreply 6204/01/2013

R61 they carry a number of olive oils...which one do you refer to?

by Anonymousreply 6304/01/2013

r8, look into the brand you are using. Alot of cheap olive oil is just vegetable/canola oil mixed in with low-grade olive oil.

I have come to love the taste of olive oil, especially on bread.

by Anonymousreply 6404/01/2013

OP, you obviously burned more calories than you took in. The food was obviously healthier and made you eat less than you think.

Keep a food diary for the next two weeks....an experiment to see I'd your weight returns.

by Anonymousreply 6504/01/2013

I don't think the "olive oil" they put on the table at many restaurants for dipping your free bread in is genuine either.

It certainly doesn't taste "grassy with a little throat burn" to me.

I'll stick with butter and use it to grease up my complimentary bread, thank you very much!

by Anonymousreply 6604/01/2013

R65 I know exactly how much I ate. I kept a food diary the whole time and continue to.

by Anonymousreply 6704/01/2013

I experienced something similar when I spent 5 weeks in Italy. I had a cappuccino and cornetto cioccolato for breakfast every day. I'd have a lunch based around foccaccia or pizza. I'd have pasta for dinner several nights a week. I'd have a few scoops of gelato every other day or so. I'd even drink regular Coke a few times a week because it tastes better over there.

When I thought back on those days in Italy, I concluded it may have had to do with avoiding starches like potato and corn, as well as highly-processed white flour. From what I have read in the past, European flour is (surprise!) better for you.

by Anonymousreply 6804/01/2013

America has a fucked up food supply.

by Anonymousreply 6904/01/2013

If I lived in the US, I'd buy olive oil from a good California grower (I believe olive oil is also produced in Arizona).

Good olive oil in Italy is already expensive. I buy directly from a grower (and it's fabulous).

With taxes, shipping and markups the good stuff from Italy costs a fortune in the US. Anything that looks like a bargain is crap.

Italian brands sold in the US play games with their labeling. They'll buy crap from Tunisia, bottle it in Italy and call "produced in Italy".

Note: in Italy, you will never but never, see a restaurant with olive oil on the table to dip your bread in. It would be considered a horrible waste for such a valuable product. American restaurants that do it, are serving cheap adulterated stuff.

Most of the Italian olive I've had in the US has a strong foul smell. It's garbage.

The good stuff smells like olives.

I've had olive oil from California that rivals the best over here.

by Anonymousreply 7004/01/2013

I get a good olive oil from a farmer's market here in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 7104/01/2013

It's COOC olive oil or nothing for me. BTW, my last batch of olive oil came from Costco and it had the COOC seal on it! Call Costco or check it out. Great price too. No COOC seal = you are probably getting canola or soy flavored with olive. Don't do it. Stick with the COOC.

by Anonymousreply 7204/01/2013

Personally I'd love to live in Italy. Yum. And most Italians in Italy are skinny minnies except for the South. One thing I don't get - the bleached blonde hair - it looks awful on them.

by Anonymousreply 7304/01/2013

SO now where to buy European flour? Why is that better than US flour?

by Anonymousreply 7404/01/2013

I have not found a source for European flour. However, don't use the supermarket brands, most are...Chinese grown flour except for King Arthur flour. I'm now using Central Milling flour which is pretty incredible & also USA grown.

by Anonymousreply 7504/01/2013

Virgin Coconut Oil is the best oil to cook chicken in. Delicious and a super health food.

by Anonymousreply 7604/01/2013

R74 it is hard wheat non gmo flour.

by Anonymousreply 7704/01/2013

OP, what time of day did you eat your largest meal?

Did you go for walks after eating?

by Anonymousreply 7804/01/2013

R78 I live in NY and walk all the time here.

In Istanbul I would nap after lunch most days. I was on boats and walked some but not more than here.

Largest meal at dinner. Dinner was usually late around 9 p.m.

Breakfast early around 7 a.m.

lunch whenever and snacks...bit of of bread and cheese or fruit.

by Anonymousreply 7904/01/2013

Olive oil is not for frying, guys. Olive oil is good in food in its natural form, without being heated. For frying and such I use canola oil.

by Anonymousreply 8004/01/2013

You lost weight because food overseas is more "real." People overseas can eat fatty foods and chocolate and candy because their fatty foods are more wholesome. Most of our fatty food is highly processed.

by Anonymousreply 8104/01/2013

thanks R75- will stick to King Arthur or Central Milling from now on.

by Anonymousreply 8204/01/2013

R80 Canola is a shit GMO product.

Use Sunflower or Peanut.

by Anonymousreply 8304/01/2013

While you don't use extra-virgin olive oil for frying, you can, and I for the most part use, regular olive oil for frying. It depends on what you are making.

Yes, adulterated olive oil has been around for a long time. However, not every brand of olive oil is adulterated. That the only thing you should ever use is COOC labeled olive oil is something pushed by the lobby promoting California olive oil. It's like the Big Pharma always saying "you never know what you're getting when you buy generic drugs". For the most part, generic drugs are just fine. Same with olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 8404/01/2013

R84 read the linked articles.

Most of the generics are fake.

by Anonymousreply 8504/01/2013

COCONUT OIL!

Virgin COCONUT oil for frying.

by Anonymousreply 8604/01/2013

I hate coconut oil for anything.

by Anonymousreply 8704/02/2013

I have switched to coconut oil for sauteeing, etc-it has no cholosterol and great for regulating blood sugar.

by Anonymousreply 8804/02/2013

But it's REALLY HIGH in saturated fat (60%?), R88, so unless you're on a Paleo-type diet, it can't be good.

by Anonymousreply 8904/02/2013

I'm CooCoo for Coconuts!

by Anonymousreply 9004/02/2013

R88, no oil has cholesterol. Oils are made from triglycerides (3 fatty acids) and glycerol (a 3 carbon carbohydrate). Cholesterol is a different type of fat, it is actually a bit waxy. It tends to exist in nature in food items that contain saturated fat (which is an oil, solid at room temperature.) All oils from corn oil to canola to olive have absolutely no cholesterol. That said they variably contain saturated fatty acids in their triglyceride structure. Of those fats, saturated fat such as lard contains the most (obviously) and makes for the best cooking oil because saturated fats are the most stable (to heat).

by Anonymousreply 9104/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.