Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How on earth was New York, New York not nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song?

Why must Liza suffer so?

by Anonymousreply 4204/04/2013

Consideing the Academy's awful taste in music it does seem odd it got no mention.

I hated that movie and I still hate that song. That song almost ruined a beautiful time in Rome for me.

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2013

r1=Amanda Knox

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

Was it written specifically for the movie? That's the criterion. If Liza even uttered "they wrote it for me", it would have been disqualified.

The Oscars that year..

Winner : "You Light Up My Life"

"Candle on the Water" from "Pete's Dragon"

"The Spy Who Loved Me"

The Slipper and the Rose(He Danced with Me/She Danced with Me)"

"Someone's Waiting For You" from "The Rescuers

"You Light Up My Life" never became the standard people thought it would.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

Because the film NY NY was a stinking pile of shit and didn't make a dime. The song was not a hit single. No one knew about the song outside of the gays until Sinatra recorded it several years later.

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

Liza didn't write it, so she wouldn't have been the nominee anyway.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

It is a great song. Or was, until Sinatra ruined it with his lounge lizard delivery which of course made it one of the biggest hits ever.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

"You Light Up My Life" beat "Nobody Does It Better"?! Was everybody just coked to the gills that year?

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

New York, New York is one of Scorsese's greatest films. Woefully underappreciated and in need of rediscovery. Not only that, Robert De Niro is smokin hot in it.

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2013

Exactly, R7. How superior is Nobody Does It Better to that inane, sleepy Skyfall shit that won this year?

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

r4 is an idiot....look at the other nominees. I'd hardly call most of them hit singles

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

I'd like to hear the full version of Queen's rendition for the movie "The Highlander."

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

Fun note. You Light Up My Life also won Best Song Grammy it tied with Evergreen that had won Best Song Oscar the year before...

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

This is about as exciting as the "Television Credits" thread. Christ, you gays and your showbiz minutia.

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2013

r13= bitter betty, party of one

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

For that matter, "And the World Goes 'Round" from NYNY was better than those other nominees.

p.s. "You Light Up My Life" was a huge hit in its day.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

Judy Garland never sang "My Funny Valentine", saying it was like singing the scales.

She sang most every other standard, and Valentine has become even more popular in the last 30 years, but she was right. It is basically a scale progression vocal exercise.

"You Light up My Life" is similar in it's composition. These songs are pleasing to the ear initially, but very simple in their structure.

New York NY is a lot better, but so much the Broadway number. Kander and Ebb. I don't really care bout this, but I think that Liza was a bit off in that awful movie. Blame coke and coked up Scorsese. The musical numbers were very poorly done in that film. Not worth debating if that song should have been nominated.

The planet spins....the world goes round.

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2013

It's funny, r16, I can hear JG singing it in my head and swore she recorded it but you're right.

I wish I could remember the funny gay novel where some character is watching Liza sing "New York, New York" and dreading the moment when she starts with "The Arm."

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2013

[quote]look at the other nominees. I'd hardly call most of them hit singles.

I think you're the one who is misinformed and obviously wasn't around in the seventies.

"You Light Up My Life", with its uplifting chord progressions and key changes - and a very convincing Didi Conn lipsynching the original version in the flop movie of the same name - was subsequently recorded by Debbie Boone and became not only a huge number one song, but THE number one song of 1977 and THE number one pop song of the entire seventies in the U.S.

Yes, it's a corny song now, but I remember watching the trailers for that horrible movie and how moved everyone was by the song, as something different from the raunchy disco beats (more my style) we were listening to on the radio, and as a ballad people of all ages were drawn to.

"Nobody Does It Better" was a number one Easy Listening and UK hit, plus a three-week number two hit in the U.S., kept out of the top position by - you guessed it - "You Light Up My Life"

And now, ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Richard Chamberlain, in "He/She Danced With Me"(the irony of the title!)

by Anonymousreply 1804/03/2013

LA and Hollywood types have always been envious of New Yorkers, so it's obvious that a song with that title would not be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

I saw "New York, New York" the week it opened. The movie was hugely anticipated because Scorcese, DeNiro, and Minnelli were all riding high in their careers. What a terrible letdown it was! Pauline Kael said she read the original script and thought it was terrific, but Scorcese decided to change it and make it into some kind of personal statement.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

Debby Boone was singing about her love for Jeebuz, yaknow.

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

The song was indeed written specifically for the movie, but Kander & Ebb gave up their rights to it as part of the deal to get Liza cast.

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

It was an unpleasant stalker movie.

But the songs are enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

R16 In what universe is "You Light Up My Fucking Life" pleasing to the ear? That was one of the most banal songs ever recorded. Almost as bad as "Muskrat Fucking Love."

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

"Candle on the Water" is one of the loveliest songs ever to come out of a Disney film. In my opinion it is the best song among the nominees and a better song than "New York, New York" too.

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

r26 may be right but expressing the opinion makes you sound like one of those fat weirdos with Disney tattoos plastered all over their epidermis.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

Oh, R27, I am as creeped out by Disney-philes as you are! But you have to admit, there are many fine songs in the Disney catalogue.

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

Preach, R28!

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

You don't hear "New York, New York" every five minutes on daytime TV these days, do you?

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

Liza and Scorsese were in the midst of their hot and heavy 'coke fueled' affair... together they were responsible for many of the movie delays and rising costs.. one afternoon Marty and Minnelli were over two hours late to the set because they were driving around L.A. looking for a good hot dog stand for hungry Liza.. Liza just had to have her hot dog, on top of all the coke she had ingested that morning..

they shudda just gone to Pink's.

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2013

Coked out or not, it was still a creepy script.

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

By the time Liza sang the song, most Academy voters had left the theater or fallen asleep.

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

R4, Sinatra's version came out a little over a year after the film was released, not "several years later." And EVERYONE knew the song off of the movie and Minnelli - it was a minor Academy scandal that it wasn't nominated.

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

"R,17", sounds like it could be a great read. Do you remember anything about the title, or author?

"I wish I could remember the funny gay novel where some character is watching Liza sing "New York, New York" and dreading the moment when she starts with "The Arm.""

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

There is no song called "The Spy Who Loved Me." The song is "Nobody Does it Better"

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

The improvisation ruined NYNY. You can't just assume that because a person can act, they can improvise. Two different skills.

DeNiro just kept repeating himself, Liza tried to hold it together and sometimes looked like she was afraid to move, and Scorsese could not say "Cut."

Fabulous sets, some great ideas, some interesting songs, but all in all a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

Nobody did it better than Carly that year.

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2013

The reeason may be because the movie"New York,New York" was so long-winded and plodding.I liked A Star Is Born better,even thoughh Barbra's hair was silly and her outfits were too sexless and she lacked her usual wit and I would liked to have seen what Elvis would have done with the John-Norman rol, .although I liked Kristofferson.In "New York..."De Niro was too abrasive.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

R34, it doesn't matter when it was released, it wasn't a known recording for several years when it was played at NY baseball games. NO ONE who wasn't gay knew the song from the film. No one, sorry.

"New York, New York is one of Scorsese's greatest films."

Not really. It needed 45 minutes cut out of it.

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2013

If I had of sung that song instead of that bloated coke whore the song WOULD have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2013

[quote][R34], it doesn't matter when it was released, it wasn't a known recording for several years when it was played at NY baseball games. NO ONE who wasn't gay knew the song from the film. No one, sorry.

INTERESTING FACT: When the Yankees win at home, they play the Sinatra version; when they lose, they play Liza's. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 4204/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!