Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dan Savage on DOMA and Prop 8: “My Catholic soul tells me we’re going to lose”

"But that loss will set us up for a future victory because they are running out of excuses," Savage says.

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

That idiot has no soul. Why does the media insist on acting like he's the spokesperson for all gay people? He's to gay men as Jesse Jackson is to black people or Michelle Bachmann is to Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 103/30/2013

R1. I found his interview to be just fine, humorous, sarcastic and honest. No one says Savage is the spokesperson of all gay people. But he's one among a few gay people who have something to say, often times worthwhile.

Dan Savage is certainly not comparable to Jesse Jackson or Michele Bachmann. Why such distain from you?

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

R2= sad apologist.

For someone so completely ridiculous he gets WAY too much attention from the MSM. But that's what they like, representing us with nuts.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

What the HELL does "my Catholic soul" mean exactly???

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

R4. I think "my Catholic soul" means nothing more than "Jewish guilt" or "Protestant fill-in-the-blank."

I belive he menas sort of "don't get your hopes up" when it comes to winning when it comes to the Supreme Court--we could be in for disappointment. That's all, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

R3...I am not an apologist for Dan Savage. First of all, I don't know why I would be aplogizing for him. What did Savage do that's so offensive? Besides, he makes a couple of good points in the interview.

And why do you say that Savage is completely ridiculous without explaining yourself? He just gave a minor, inconsequential interview. It's not like he was giving a disertation on the meaning of life on the world stage.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

r2 there are just some queens who are bitterly envious that Dan was able to become so successful at what he does. They're still irrationally angry at him for it. You're fine, he's fine and an invaluable asset for our side, your post was fine. r1/3 need to get lives already.

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

Whether we like it or not, Savage has become a "go to" journalist for his so-called take on gay rights from the supportive straight community - One can't deny the impact that his 'It gets better" campaign has had. As such, he certainly doesn't speak for the gay community - but his comments ring true in relation to the recent reports about the conservative judges being the ones who voted to hear both the Prop 8 and DOMA cases - I think "catholic soul" was a poor choice of words for saying what we all are thinking - that SCOTUS will allow the overturning of Prop 8 to stand, rule that DOMA is unconstitutional but will not not rule that same sex marriage is a constitutional right that must be recognized by all states - Lets not shoot the messenger

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2013

R7= Dan. Hi loser!

It's not jealously, idiot. It's recognition that the MSM elevates idiots to represent us. Get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

R10 - Your post was so original and enlightening - Yes this is R8 - If you want to discuss the merits of my post, please do so.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

Who cares about this freak?

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

I think your analysis is spot on, R8. The question now is will the Court affirm the lower courts' rulings, or will they wuss out and rule that the defendants-in-kind don't have standing, thereby remanding it back to the 9th Circuit, and possibly leaving the door open for a change in state leadership to come back at the issue. However, if they affirm, then the next fight will be over the full faith and credit clause, forcing a nation-wide acceptance and acknowledgement of marriage. My guess is Scalia will negotiate the liberals down to the standing position in exchange for his and Thomas' concurrence, giving Roberts a needed show of unanimity after all of the recent 5-4 rulings, and forcing a delay in making states that don't allow gay marriage recognize those performed in states that do.

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!