Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Dr. Ben Carson Shouldn’t Have To Apologize For His ‘Bestiality’ Remark

On Tuesday’s Hannity show, when asked for his thoughts on gay marriage, Dr. Ben Carson stated that marriage “is between a man and a woman” and that “no group — be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality, it doesn’t matter what they are — they don’t get to change the definition. It’s not something that is against gays, it’s against anybody who wants to come along and change the fundamental definitions of pillars of society. It has significant ramifications.”

The predictable “Dr. Ben Carson equates homosexuality with bestiality!” outrage ensued, so much so that today Dr. Carson was forced, on MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell Reports, to explain:

And, you know, I think, you know, in terms of what was said on Sean Hannity’s show, that was taken completely out of context and completely misunderstood in terms of what I was trying to say. You know, as a Christian, you know, I have a duty to love all people and that includes people who have other sexual orientations, and I certainly do, and never had any intention of offending anyone. What I was basically saying, and if anybody was offended, I apologize to you. But what I was basically saying is that there is no group. I wasn’t equating those things. I don’t think they’re equal. Just, you know, if you ask me for apple and I give you an orange you would say, well that’s not an orange. And then I say, that’s a banana, that’s not an apple either. And there’s a peach, that’s not an apple, either. But it doesn’t mean that I’m equating the banana and the orange and the peach. And in the same way I’m not equating those things. But Dr. Carson should not have to explain what is simply an obvious argument illustration, much less apologize to those offended (i.e., to those lacking listening and reading comprehension skills).

While I am a conservative who supports same-sex marriage, I fully appreciate the “slippery slope” public-policy argument made by opponents who worry that redefining marriage could lead to recognition of any other number of unions – including unsavory ones. Though I do not personally envision this being the case down the road, it is certainly a valid point and one worth considering.

When making this argument (as Dr. Carson did), polygamy, or marriage to minors, or, yes, even bestiality (and marriage to one’s pets?) are often invoked as possible ‘future products of marriage’s re-definition.’ In no way, however, does it mean the individual (in this case, Dr. Carson) is equating same-sex marriage or homosexuality with any of the examples posited.

Rick Santorum was also a victim, like Dr. Carson, of this false outrage. For several years, the Left ran with a terrible (and possibly deliberate) misinterpretation of Santorum. In early 2012, when Santorum’s presidential run was soaring, particularly following the Iowa caucus, cries of “Santorum describes homosexual relations as ‘man on dog’!” or “Santorum says gay marriage could lead to bestiality!” were everywhere online (see, e.g., here). But, as it turns out, Santorum had said no such thing. The crude, inaccurate allegation stemmed from a 2003 Associated Press interview in which Santorum said this about gay marriage:

Every society in the history of man has upheld the institution of marriage as a bond between a man and a woman. Why? Because society is based on one thing: that society is based on the future of the society. And that’s what? Children. Monogamous relationships. In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That’s not to pick on homosexuality. It’s not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be. It is one thing. And when you destroy that you have a dramatic impact on the quality— [At that point, Santorum was interrupted by the interviewer who joked that he/she was not expecting to hear a U.S. Senator use the term "man on dog."] Much like Dr. Carson, in no way did Santorum equate homosexuality or gay marriage with bestiality. Santorum, on the contrary, was cautioning that he was not equating gay marriage with other prohibited-marriage categories such as “man on child” (individuals marrying minors) and “man on dog” (individuals marrying animals).

Basic reading comprehension and common sense did not, however, prevent the unfair smears that haunted Santorum for years.

Dr. Carson’s “slippery slope” argument will naturally be made again by traditional marriage supporters. Misquoting and misrepresenting anyone on this issue – be it Dr. Carson, Rick Santorum, anyone – is fueled by either the willfully obtuse or the agents of dishonest hackery.

So to Dr. Carson, I say: no need to issue an apology. In fact, you’re owed one.

– – >> Follow AJ Delgado (@MissADelgado) on Twitter

by Anonymousreply 4803/31/2013

That Mediaite site is just chockfull of conservative clap trap.

Miss A. J. Delgado, the article's author, is not someone I would want to know.

I pray she finds some enlightenment soon.

by Anonymousreply 303/30/2013

The short version: I claim not to hate you, but I don't consider you to be an equal.

by Anonymousreply 403/30/2013

He's a typical hatemongering lying KKKristian.

by Anonymousreply 503/30/2013

This is where this bitch just doesn't get it when she writes:

"While I am a conservative who supports same-sex marriage, I fully appreciate the “slippery slope” public-policy argument made by opponents who worry that redefining marriage could lead to recognition of any other number of unions – including unsavory ones. Though I do not personally envision this being the case down the road, it is certainly a valid point and one worth considering."

Yes, she "fully appreciates" the old conservative canard of the "slippery slope," though she personally doesn't think this will be "the case down the road."

BUT SHE APPARENTLY SUPPORTS IT BEING A VALID POINT AND WORTHY OF CONTINUED DISCUSSION.

What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 603/30/2013

These conservatives/ fundies (and their equivalents in other religions) seem disturbingly obsessed with bestiality.

by Anonymousreply 703/30/2013

Where does the GOP find these people? And are they ever going to learn to vet people before crowning them The Next Big Thing? This Carson is appalling.

by Anonymousreply 803/30/2013

I don't understand why this is posted here. There have to be articles written about this Ben Carson and what a fool he is. Apparently, he's been called out for it by a lot of prominent republicans. I don't need to see this kind of crap on here. It takes up a lot of space and is worthless. Who even cares what this woman says?

by Anonymousreply 903/30/2013

[quote] I don't need to see this kind of crap on here.

Then don't read it.

by Anonymousreply 1003/30/2013

On Wolf Blitzer he said "I apologize IF I offended anyone."

I fucking HATE IT when people say "if" when the apologize. I want to smack the fuck out of him. Is there anything more phoney in the world? And it's always, always, ALWAYS republican bigots who say that "IF I offended anyone" bullshit. Then that goddamned "I love gay people" comment makes me sick.

And he's a Neurologist???

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

[quote] Rick Santorum was also a victim, like Dr. Carson, of this false outrage.

Yes, and technically Nazis were "victims" of the Soviets after they lost the war.

The sheer transparency...sickening.

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

Please don't let him be...oh, NO!!!

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

Carson is hoping for a political career. I think his comments have ended that.

by Anonymousreply 1403/31/2013

Can we book him for our next gathering????

by Anonymousreply 1503/31/2013

I saw a clip of the interview and he also talked about NAMBLA. He said that gays are the same as those into bestiality and pedophilia.

by Anonymousreply 1603/31/2013

You don't have to lie, R16.

What he actually said is bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 1703/31/2013

How am I lying, R16? Have you seen the interview?

by Anonymousreply 1803/31/2013

I did, R18. Did you?

by Anonymousreply 1903/31/2013

[quote] Carson is hoping for a political career. I think his comments have ended that.

HA! More like it's just the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 2003/31/2013

R19, Here's the clip of him speaking about gay marriage. I'll be waiting for your apology.....

by Anonymousreply 2103/31/2013

Where did he say gays were the same as those into bestiality or pedophilia, R21?

by Anonymousreply 2203/31/2013

R22, you're either a Republican or an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2303/31/2013

[quote] you're either a Republican or an idiot.

Whats the difference between the two?

by Anonymousreply 2403/31/2013

R20, Ben Carron lives in Maryland. So it's the END of his political aspirations.

However, virtually EVERY student in public schools in Maryland & DC is required to read Dr. Carson's book "Gifted Hands." So all children are taught to admire this man enormously. And now he reveals himself to be a super-bigot.

by Anonymousreply 2503/31/2013

La la la *fingers in ears* I can't heeeeeeeeeear you la la la

by Anonymousreply 2603/31/2013

I don't think any group, be they Christians, or child-rapists, or perpetrators of mass genocide, or lying liars who can do nothing but lie, should have any say in matters of public discourse. Now, not that I'm comparing Christians to child-rapists or mass murderers or liars, but once you let one group get away with influencing public policy, it's a slippery slope, and before you know it, you'll have mass murderers dictating who gets prosecuted for certain crimes, and who doesn't.

Oh, and if I offended any mass murderers, child-rapists or liars by comparing them the Christians, sorry. You're taking my words out of context!

by Anonymousreply 2703/31/2013

What is TLPG?

by Anonymousreply 2803/31/2013

The only Repug who had to apologize this week was the rep from Alaska who called Mexicans "wetbacks."

This asshole doctor didn't have to apologize. And neither did the asshole rep from Michigan who posted an article on his Facebook page referring to gays as "filth."

Bottom line: Make bigoted comments about gays and you'll be fine. Where is the moral outrage?

by Anonymousreply 2903/31/2013

I don't think any politician should apologize for stupid remarks. They believe it and certainly don't mean the apology. They regret the outcry and only apologize to save their jobs. You say, stand by it and take the fallout that occurs.

by Anonymousreply 3003/31/2013

"He didn't compare bestiality to gay marriage." That's what they're shouting. Wanna take this on?

by Anonymousreply 3103/31/2013

R31 He didnt compare gay marriage to bestiality, he equated the two. Very big difference.

by Anonymousreply 3203/31/2013

He pings like mad. I know he's married, but I bet he fingers his male patients when the anesthesiologist isn't looking.

by Anonymousreply 3303/31/2013

He did not say gays were *the same* as pedos or beasties, but it could be inferred, hence the apology.

by Anonymousreply 3403/31/2013

It was difficult to watch that insufferable Wolf Blitzer kiss Carson's ass, rim him, then stick his head up Carson's ass to the shoulders. "Oh, Doctor Carson what a brilliant man you are." "Oh, Doctor Carson what remarkable work you've done." "Oh, Doctor Carson we attended the same university."

by Anonymousreply 3503/31/2013

R29 where have you been? There's been considerable fall-out from this.

by Anonymousreply 3603/31/2013

[quote]However, virtually EVERY student in public schools in Maryland & DC is required to read Dr. Carson's book "Gifted Hands." So all children are taught to admire this man enormously

Um, no. Let's not get hysterical.

Maryland is very disappointed in Ben. Now he can't be the commencement speaker. He's fucked here.

by Anonymousreply 3703/31/2013

Animals are NOT able to give consent.

That is why the ‘Bestiality’ argument has no standing.

by Anonymousreply 3803/31/2013

Ask any schoolchild in Maryland and DC. Almost ALL of them will list Ben Carson as one of their top heroes. They've all read his book, and public libraries all have at least 50 copies in order to accomodate all the kids requesting his book all the time.

by Anonymousreply 3903/31/2013

Brainless brain surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 4003/31/2013

Ben Carson is an asshole who has long supported right wing repukes and has long been a gay basher. Just because he is a good (debatable) doctor does not give him a free pass to be a bigot.

by Anonymousreply 4103/31/2013

R36. There has not been considerable fallout from this asshole Carson's comment. There has been news coverage about what he said but not much condemnation of this guy at all. He got away with it without being held accountable.

And has he apologized?

by Anonymousreply 4203/31/2013

Don't know how you can make such sweeping statements, R39. You can say "many." But you can't say "most."

I've lived here for 12 years and what you say is just not true.

by Anonymousreply 4303/31/2013

Yes, R42, he has apologized.

by Anonymousreply 4403/31/2013

Calm the fuck down, the guy is toast.

by Anonymousreply 4503/31/2013

If this asshole is such a smart, respected doctor, he should have known not to make a comment about bestiality and gays in the same sentence. He knew exactly what he was doing when he made his statement.

He did it because he's a bigoted homophobe. He may have apologized--but only because he was shamed into it.

And his apology was nothing more than backtracking bullshit. "If I offended anyone..."

by Anonymousreply 4603/31/2013

No arguing that, R46.

Plus, he pings.

by Anonymousreply 4703/31/2013

What R30 said. These types of "apologies" are always patronizing to the public and cowardly on the part of asshole bigots who really just want to be able to offend people freely without having to be held accountable for it.

by Anonymousreply 4803/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!