Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tyler Perry's Temptation

Has anyone seen this?

The reviews make it sound like a camp hoot!

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013

Bombarooni!

by Anonymousreply 103/30/2013

Sounds like his new unisex parfum...

From IMDB:

"I guess it's official - if the name "Tyler Perry" is on a product, it's as spoiled as old milk. I won't bore you with too many details. Kim Kardashian stars in this movie as an actress. If that doesn't say it all, nothing else will. Vanessa Williams can't do a French accent if her life depended on it. And the story line... a preachy sermon that lets us all know about how black people should act... or get punished for their haughty misdeeds. Wow. Tyler Perry should be punished for charging money for this conceit of his. Pumping out garbage regularly, if his name is anywhere in the vicinity, get ready for made for TV nonsense and raunch if it doesn't have to confine itself to the rules of the airwaves. Don't say you weren't warned - I just saved you $10-15."

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2013

The Roger Ebert review is funny

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2013

Vanessa Williams is doing Tyler Perry films now? Sad.

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

R3, can you link to Roger Ebert's review? I looked on his site, but can't find anywhere he reviews it. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

R4 That any actor does Tyler Perry and or his films or TV shows is a sad.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

R5, here is the link.

As for Vanessa Williams - there aren't a ton of roles for black women in Hollywood, especially if they are 50+

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

Isn't this the movie Kim Kardashian is in?

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2013

R7, that review was written by Peter Sobczynski.

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

^ Sorry, I just assumed Ebert wrote it since it was at his site.

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

R7 If I were Vanessa, I'd rather just rest on my laurels than to do a pathetic Perry film. She's too talented and classy to be working for him, let alone be in a movie with a Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

R11, "laurels" won't help you at the Automat.

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

R12 I'm sure she has enough money to tide her over for quite some time. TP is known for paying shitty, so I hardly doubt passing up this would've been that big of loss.

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

His audience is going to eat it up, even if it does suck.

by Anonymousreply 1403/31/2013

Wow. The movie made $22.3 million, far above projections. Like most movies, it will probably drop pretty quickly, but it's already profitable since production isn't that expensive and there's no actors garnering "star" wages.

Can you think of another artist, who, though criticized from a lot of corners, is so tuned into a certain audience that it just doesn't matter. I mean, at this point, TP could release films just like this for the rest of time and make a buck.

by Anonymousreply 1503/31/2013

I made the mistake of seeing this, thinking it would be better than his other films. It was bad. And the religious sermons are out of control.

"He's gonna send you straight to hell!"

Line of the year. And not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 1603/31/2013

R15 While not the product of a single artist, He Haw had a very similar trajectory.

by Anonymousreply 1703/31/2013

I laughed at the commericial when I first saw it. Tyler has been knocked off his game since he came under heavy criticism for his Madea roles about 5 years ago. He has tried to do more serious things since. It's not his best genre.

by Anonymousreply 1803/31/2013

The movie appears to have at least a couple hunks in it (like all of Miss Tyler's movies)

by Anonymousreply 1903/31/2013

I usually catch his movies on basic cable after I've had a few drinks when I'm home on the weekend, I put them on a par with the Lifetime channel crap.

by Anonymousreply 2003/31/2013

R16 I know - in the few TP films I've seen, he always has to throw in some religious bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 2103/31/2013

I'm ashamed to say the his Madea movies crack me up and I love watching them.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

I'm going to see this today. It really does sound like pure camp. And I like Brandy.

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

So Kim Kardashian has now done a movie with Ray J and his sister!

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2013

[quote]I'm ashamed to say the his Madea movies crack me up and I love watching them.

Partner and I rented [italic]Madea's Witness Protection[/italic] to watch with partner's elderly mom a couple nights ago -- she thought it was a scream.

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.