Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Canadian OP-ED "Educate First Nations (Indians) to be modern citizens. Turn off the tap of hand-outs!"

Written by Don Olsen, appeared in the Nanaimo Daily News.

It was only 12,000 years ago, or less and this should be considered; in all those years the so called First Nations:

. Never "discovered" the wheel

. Never had a written language

. Never discovered astronomy

. Had no science or scientific discoveries

. Had no mathematics

. Made no medical discoveries

. Never had written music

. Only "figured out" a drum and a rattle for musical instruments

. Had no metallurgy

. Had no sails for boats (only had canoes)

. Created virtually no mechanical devices

. Possessed almost nothing that required hard manual labour over a period of time, i.e.: building with or carving out of stone

. Made almost no inventions

. Are just in the last 200 years getting caught-up to most of the rest of the world

. Have a history that is notable only for underachievement

Are these people in trouble? Yes.

Do they need help? Yes.

Are they responsible enough to look after themselves and efficiently spend the billions the tax payers give them? Certainly not.

The only way to fix this situation is to bring them into society as equals. They should be getting jobs and paying taxes like the rest of us because in reality, they are no more special than any of the other hundred or more cultures that call Canada home.

Turn off the taps. Do away with this "traditional use" and "cultural" nonsense. Educate their children to become modern citizens.

Instead of finding their identity and source of pride in some folks who occupied the land 15,000 years ago. Let them stand or fall on their own account.

Just like the rest of us have to do.

-Don Olsen, Nanaimo, B.C.

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2013

A simplistic, red neck 'solution' for a complex problem.

Small wonder it came from BC. There's as many fundie imbeciles as pot smoking potters. Probably more, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 103/30/2013

The "reservations" in the USA are a glorified form of segregation. It is shocking how the residents live.

by Anonymousreply 203/30/2013

They didn't need any of those innovations because there were do few of them in a huge continent.

Discoveries of the type listed are mostly due to urbanization. The need to build large structures, house many people, conduct trade with other cities/nations.

Nomadism is only possible in large, mostly empty areas. As population increases, nomadism can no longer exist. Large areas with scant populations can support nomadism. The rainforests of South America, the plains and forests of North America. the steppes of Mongolia, the Australian outback, the areas near the Arctic circle all supported nomadism, so why settle into one place and start building? There was no need.

by Anonymousreply 303/30/2013

Did any member from a First Nation write a rebuttal Op-Ed?

by Anonymousreply 403/30/2013

No, but they did tell their children and grandchildren

by Anonymousreply 503/30/2013

However, the world has changed, whether or not we like it. History is littered with cultures that died away because they couldn't adapt. We should help them adapt but at some point a country needs to step back. Now, that period of adaptation could be (or should be) eighty years or so.

by Anonymousreply 603/30/2013

Huh, r7?

False equivalency.

by Anonymousreply 803/30/2013

The issues that First Nation people have encountered in the past (a true rape and pillage of all their resources) is still happening today. The government still decides what it wants, and will take it, and that includes tribal lands, still. Recently, I read an article written by a woman whose father had built a cabin years ago on some tribal lands, and used it when he and others went fishing and hunting, and had been using it up until a couple summers ago. Last year, he and his daughter went up there, and it was gone. Razed. The United States government just decided to use the land for something else. No questions, and of course they don't have a "person" to contact about it (so they say), because he built it for himself and others to use. It was for the tribe, and so was the land, it was their free, undeveloped place to go. As the government moves in, away goes the untouched land, and any game they would have hunted.

by Anonymousreply 903/30/2013

The U.S. Govt. took First Nations property? Quite a feat to have invaded two sovereign nations.

by Anonymousreply 1003/30/2013

The perversely brilliant idea that small-town newspapers seem to sharing this month is that if you print something that's hateful and bigoted you'll get international attention.

by Anonymousreply 1103/30/2013

lots of ignorance on this thread

by Anonymousreply 1203/30/2013

That editorial was obnoxious.

There is a lot to be debated about policy regarding first nations peoples both in Canada and the US, but putting them down because their ancestors were living a simpler life is NOT a valid argument for past, present or future oppression.

by Anonymousreply 1303/30/2013

It's utterly untrue. They did have the wheel, just did not use it for transport.

Some of them did have written pictographs as well as records kept by wampum beads.

They were much more knowledgeable about astronomy than, well, the author ever has been, I suspect.

They used a scientific approach to hunting and medicine, including many medical discoveries which have benefited modern science.

I can't speak to math, but math is a self-contained system of description, not a "thing" in nature.

They certainly had other musical instruments than drums and rattles.

They certainly had metallurgy. Deposits of copper around Lake Superior have been worked for thousands of years.

First Nations people require education, but bigots like this dude are equally in need of education.

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

And what is Nanaimo known for? A shitty shopping mall and a ferry stop.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

Yes r10, land that was for tribal use going back hundreds of years was suddenly not theirs to use. No accommodations, notification, nothing.

Back in the early & mid centuries, the government decided that the only schooling option for native kids in rural areas was schools specifically set up for them. These schools were effectively boarding schools, where native kids were sent, their long hair was cut off, and they were taught how to be "white" kids. This is true, my niece's grandmother went to one of these schools.

Awful discrimination still goes on. A couple of my relatives on that side of my family, they have a son who is in college, and he is one of two NA guys on his dorm floor. One day they found this written on the wall on their floor:

GO BACK TO THE REZ PRAIRIE NIGGERS!

There is a "group think" among some colleges and their faculty, that NA kids are not "worth" teaching or giving attention too, they will just be back on the reservation getting drunk, and will probably not graduate. I know I'd want to drop out if I saw stuff like that on my dorm wall.

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2013

LOL @ R5's comment!

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.