Since 1995

"The Homosexuals" (1967)

We've come a long way, baby gays.

by Anonymousreply 3412/26/2014

It is a fascinating documentary.

by Anonymousreply 103/30/2013

Let's not forget this one.

by Anonymousreply 203/30/2013

Thanks, edrusgays. We'll take over from here.

by Anonymousreply 303/30/2013

History is important.

I may not have been alive in 1967 but you can learn a lot about how people evolved from watching these things.

by Anonymousreply 403/30/2013

I like the guy at the end.

by Anonymousreply 503/30/2013

Don't be so smug as to think this can't happen again.

by Anonymousreply 603/30/2013

I just did a project on this for a class - on how news media influenced people's perceptions and opinions.

In the art of rhetoric, Wallace had "situated ethos" - the audience believed him because of the position he held.

Same with Tom Brokaw in the early 80s. The sense that gays were to blame for AIDS riddles this piece (and many others).

by Anonymousreply 703/30/2013

You not only learn about how people thought and felt back then, you can also begin to understand the faulty reasoning behind the beliefs that many (most) homophobes hold today. Many people still think that what was disseminated in this video (I watched the entire video in a class) is the truth and scientific fact. Unfortunately, this piece demonstrated a lot of poor reasoning and false equivalencies. Too bad that so many people still believe much of what was said to be true.

by Anonymousreply 803/30/2013

Mike Wallace has always been a creep.

by Anonymousreply 903/30/2013

The Dr Socarides in the video. Wasn't he a well-known kook who has been disavowed by his own son?

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

[quote]Don't be so smug as to think this can't happen again

I think the word you were looking for was "sane".

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

saw before you guys!!!

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

Droll that after Gore Vidal gave his effortlessly articulate view from 1967, the grave summarising voice returned to the nineteenth century. As though Vidal hadn't spoken.

Still though the film gave GV the last on-camera segment. It's as if the director had an archaic story assigned, and was determined not to be seen entirely as a reactionary hack.

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

As I watch this, with its images of people puffing away, it occurs to me that, almost a half-century later, today's psychiatric community might regard smoking as evidence of mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

This was 1967. With all the problems facing the world at that time....communist aggression, the very real threat of a nuclear disaster, the Vietnam war raging and thousands of young men being killed or maimed, racism and segregation in the South, social-unrest and violence, urban cities falling apart, poverty, illiteracy and so on ! However, according to this bogus documentary; Americans fear homosexuality as the paramount threat to their lives. What trash ! The Church and a homophobic society with a fear of all things sexual only perpetuated the vicious myths that gay men were a real threat and must be crushed for the good of the society at large. This is sad, as mankind seemed so brainless on the subject back then and countless lives were destroyed. They labeled gays as criminals, perverts, mentally-ill and worse ! These were consenting adults and tax paying citizens. Good and decent, productive people that were vilified as monsters simply because they were not after the opposite sex. Just what were people so threatened and horrified back then about same-sex attractions and relationships ? Listen to Gore Vidal here ! This ancient film reel is nearly a half century old, yet he is talking candidly with veracity and real foresight on issues of sexuality and morality way back in 1967. He is truly wise and far ahead of his time, as evidenced by his statements in this video.

by Anonymousreply 1512/26/2014

It’s also surprising how LITTLE has changed since then in the minds of the haters and homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 1612/26/2014

This proves that psychiatrists, psychologists, etc. are just a bunch of pseudoscientific frauds and the police a bunch of dumb thugs, who solely joined the police force, because they weren't tough enough to be proper gangsters.

by Anonymousreply 1712/26/2014

Don't kid yourself. PLENTY of people still feel this way about gays. Not perhaps quite as virulent or ignorant but still intolerant and aggressively prejudicial. Things are better, yes. We live in a different world. But as long as there are Republicans......

by Anonymousreply 1812/26/2014

R16 is exactly right. I don't get the guys with the snarky comments that basically act like they're being imposed on if anyone shares any history with them. Given that the right considers 1967 to be part of the "good old days," it doesn't hurt gay men to know that not so long ago, we could be imprisoned, institutionalized, ostracized from society, etc. It could easily happen again. All it takes are the right judicial appointments and a few crackpots winning elections....which commonly happens.

by Anonymousreply 1912/26/2014

Heteros suck!

by Anonymousreply 2012/26/2014

[quote]I don't get the guys with the snarky comments that basically act like they're being imposed on if anyone shares any history with them.

You know when they lose that arrogance? All it takes is one good gay bashing. A murder or some torture. A homophobic boss who fires them. A gay slur that embarrasses and angers them. The arrogant little gay pricks who think they are "past all that Stonewall crap" eventually get their heads bashed in. Or some karmic equivalent. Choices have consequences. Period.

by Anonymousreply 2112/26/2014

A TV show from 47 years ago means nothing to millennials, who have shown they overwhelmingly support gay marriage. That's why the right dropped the issue, they realized it's a complete non-issue to young people.

by Anonymousreply 2212/26/2014

R22, love thy neighbor. And watch your back. It's only a "non issue" until it IS an issue. Racism is alive and well and so is homophobia. Not trying to be Debbie Downer or Chicken Little but it most certainly IS an issue. Blacks have their Ferguson and "I Can't Breathe" to remind them. Matthew Sheppard was not that long ago. And could happen again. And will, I am horrified to say.

by Anonymousreply 2312/26/2014

There is still plenty of hatred and homophobia even in the supposedly modern U.S.A. It's just that the haters have somewhat been silenced. Things are better for gays now than they were in 1967. But the hatred and fear still lurk deep in the minds of some people. Case in point, this very recent thread:

by Anonymousreply 2412/26/2014

wow

by Anonymousreply 2512/26/2014

Yes, there is still homophobia and racism in this country. No one is saying there isn't.

But young people are showing less and less of both. Young people are the future of this country. Old racists and homophobes are dying off.

by Anonymousreply 2612/26/2014

Read the comments on that you-tube video and tell me again how all the bigots are dying off. Many of these supposedly-exceptional millennials cling to and parrot their parents. You can see the hateful comments from young people attached to that video. Yes, it's better than in 1967, but, it's out there. The bigotry and danger remain. Not everything can be measured by attitudes of affluent college kids. This is not every gay person's world. Open your eyes. The liberality of wide-eyed youth fades even from those who espouse it from their ivory towers. We MUST remember the past struggles to try to keep them from happening again. Closing your eyes to past strife will only weaken the ability of future gays and lesbians to be prepared for the inevitable hatred they will face at some point.

I do not suggest we should return to living in fear, swathed in suspicion. Nonetheless, willful ignorance is not a state of health either.

The arrogance regarding past issues and world history is shattering to see.

I second the poster who suggests that no one should be so smug as to think such oppression of any minority couod nit happen again.

Pride cometh before a fall.

by Anonymousreply 2712/26/2014

R27, you sure are impressed with yourself, aren't you.

I don't need to read YouTube comments to know there are still racists and homophobes out there. Comment sections all over the internet are full of them, including Datalounge itself.

But I stand by what I said at R26.

Open your eyes. Republicans dropped gay marriage because they realized millennials don't give a shit who you marry.

by Anonymousreply 2812/26/2014

I wonder what ever happened to those men who got sent to jail, in particular the one sentenced to life.

by Anonymousreply 2912/26/2014

Beware

by Anonymousreply 3012/26/2014

R28, No, I am not impressed with myself. I am impressed by those who paved the way for me to be able to speak my mind freely in the manner most natural to me, and old enough to know that all freedom can be fleeting. You may note that often others are quick to tell a person what to think, what to say and, even to dictate the manner in which it is said.

Surely, you can see that. If only I could possess your innate resolve and quick judgment....

I am a product of all that I have seen and done. Much of it was nothing by which to be especially impressed. I think and communicate in those terms. Maybe my manner is antiquated, but, what you may read as pomposity is merely experience and passion for the subject. That, and, a desire for others not to be myopic, and so detatched from the injustices of the past as to suggest that my freedoms to be who and what I am should be curtailed in favor of popular opinion and social trends.

by Anonymousreply 3112/26/2014

tl;dr, R31

by Anonymousreply 3212/26/2014

You prove my point beautifully, r32, you bright, clever boy. You are Nero fiddling while Rome burns. Let's hope your arrogance, vast capacity and superior intellect protect you. Those will remain when your youth fades; that and your sparking, peerless wit.

by Anonymousreply 3312/26/2014

Through all his hot wind, R33 seems to be missing a very simple point.

by Anonymousreply 3412/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.