Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Impoverishment of Britain

A new report (see below)paints a bleak picture of the living standards and shrinking opportunities of the poorest third of UK society. What about in the USA?

by Anonymousreply 1503/31/2013

I think one of the main differences between the U.S. and the European nations (besides the fact that we're about ten times the size of the UK and our population is a lot more diverse and obstreperous and our politics a lot more complicated) is that we have never had a European-style welfare state and so we've evolved certain underground economic ecosystems to support people who fall through the cracks. We have lots of people living "off the grid" in rural and large urban areas, all of them suffering ill effects from being ignored and neglected by society and some of whom do some very fucked up things (manufacturing and dealing drugs, running shoplifting and identity theft rings, pimping out their kids) but they're not about to starve just because some lobbyist managed to bribe Congress into holding off on a minimum wage increase for yet another year. Austerity means very little to people who've never had anything in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 103/30/2013

"Austerity means very little to people who've never had anything in the first place." - like being too poor to care?

by Anonymousreply 203/30/2013

There are most definitely hungry people here, including children. One charity, with which I am familiar, provides backpacks with food for children to take home on Friday and bring back empty on Monday. These were children who were essentially not being regularly fed over the weekend and who came to school very hungry Monday morning. It doesn't change the home situation itself, but tries to see that the child is not crippled by the situation. A hungry child cannot pay attention and learn.

I worked in poor schools in the 70's and 80's. I saw children show up dirty and hungry. I can confirm that they cannot perform nearly as well as their peers who are fed.

by Anonymousreply 303/30/2013

Birth control. We need to stop breeding hungry poor children.

by Anonymousreply 403/31/2013

" We have lots of people living "off the grid" in rural and large urban areas"

You think this is unique to the US? Get out more, toots

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2013

[quote]Birth control. We need to stop breeding hungry poor children.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2013

"Britain is a much wealthier country than in 1983 but the numbers who can't afford basics like heating and a damp free home are back up to the levels of 30 years ago."

This is the same as in the US (and Canada, too, I would add).

I also would agree with R1. The US had/has less social programs to begin with, weaker social net or nonexistent social net, larger population and less precise statistics/info as to what is actually happening out there.

by Anonymousreply 703/31/2013

The BBC has become Englands version of FoxNews, defending the Billionaires and anti-gay religious bigots, keeping the distractions from the real issues.

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

[quote]Birth control. We need to stop breeding hungry poor children.

Hmmm, is it any coincidence that as economic mobility in the U.S. has declined, some Republican politicians are fighting reproductive freedom tooth and nail?

I was watching some political talking head show, and a female Republican political operative kept claiming that the Republican War on Women was a Democratic invention. I wanted to throw something heavy at the TV.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

R10, not just any anti-gay religious bigots but Islamic hate preachers who are celebrities in the Muslim communities that the BBC is absolutely terrified of "offending".

by Anonymousreply 1203/31/2013

R10 clearly never actually watches, or listens to, the BBC.

by Anonymousreply 1303/31/2013

The BBC is still the best news service in the English speaking world, despite its issues. It is in no way like Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 1403/31/2013

Wow.....just Wow R14......

by Anonymousreply 1503/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!