Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lot's of kids seem to want to go there lately...WHY? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 4808/27/2013

Third tier safety school. Decent law school, though.

by Anonymousreply 103/30/2013

[quote]Lot's of kids seem to want to go there lately...WHY? WTF?

To learn the rules of apostrophe placement.

by Anonymousreply 203/30/2013

Actually, R1, acceptance into Tulane is as competitive as Vanderbilt, Rice and Emory.

by Anonymousreply 303/30/2013

It was good enough for Michael DeBakey; it's good enough for you.

by Anonymousreply 403/30/2013

It's as prestigious as Rhodes, Hampden-Sydney, or even Washington and Lee!

by Anonymousreply 503/30/2013

The Tulane law school is second to LSU law school in Baton Rouge in terms of a far larger percentage of its graduates passing the bar on the first attempt.

by Anonymousreply 703/30/2013

Tulane: Admissions Data (2011):

•Percent of Applicants Admitted: 25% •GPA, ACT and SAT graph for Tulane •What Are Your Chances? (from •Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile •SAT Critical Reading: 620 / 710 •SAT Math: 620 / 700 •SAT Writing: 640 / 720

85% in upper 10% of graduating class.

by Anonymousreply 803/30/2013

It's not ranked as highly as those schools, though, R3.

by Anonymousreply 903/30/2013

It sounds like r3/r7/r8 has an enormous amount invested emotionally in Tulane's reputation.

by Anonymousreply 1003/30/2013

It's a school with an excellent reputation academically. Some kids want to be in New Orleans for a couple of years. The engineering programs took a beating from Katrina. They aren't going to offer those majors for the time being. Remember, admission to law school is not the same process as admission to undergraduate programs. Tulane has been known to offer admission to visiting applicants on the spot, if they have enough information to make a decision.

by Anonymousreply 1103/30/2013

I went to Tulane law. It sucked ass.

by Anonymousreply 1203/30/2013

And while it did suck ass, it is unfair to compare it unfavorably to LSU based on bar pass rates. LSU forces its students to take civil law courses. Tulane does not. At the end of the third year many Tulane students decide to stay in New Orleans for jobs and then have to pass the LA bar without a full curriculum of civil law. It would be interesting to see LSU's bar pass rate for, say, New York or California and how that compares to Tulane.

by Anonymousreply 1303/30/2013

If I had it to do over I'd just go to the school with the best looking gay population...What school is that?

by Anonymousreply 1403/30/2013

Tuition, room and board at Tulane goes for $53,000/ semester in 2013. It ain't cheap.

by Anonymousreply 1503/30/2013

I got my Master's in Social Work at Tulane. A LOT of people come from all over the country to attend Tulane and then they never leave.

by Anonymousreply 1603/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 1703/30/2013

[quote]Tuition, room and board at Tulane goes for $53,000/ semester in 2013. It ain't cheap.

How many beads is that?

by Anonymousreply 1803/30/2013

Popular safety school for kids who would much prefer Duke, Emory, or Vanderbilt. Also popular with wealthy South Americans who know that at Tulane they can mix with other wealthy South Americans.

by Anonymousreply 1903/30/2013

They put on a very good dog and pony show. I went on several campus visits with a nephew a few years ago, and Tulane's was outstanding-- there was a meet and greet with the faculty, the President of the University gave a little recruiting speech, and they even had a New Orleans jazz band playing.

The campus and surrounding neighborhood is beautiful, and in the Spring it's a riot of color with flowers blooming. The old streetcar rumbles by the campus every 10 minutes or so, and you can't discount the lure of the French Quarter. Kids from New Jersey leave 3 feet of snow to visit and fall in love with the place.

They're also very generous with financial aid and merit scholarships. That $50,000 tuition works out to be more like $30,000 for most students. And as someone mentioned, the Admission people are actually open, friendly, and willing to candidly discuss admission chances face to face instead of acting like it's a great mystery.

I've never understood why it's so popular with Jewish kids from the East Coast, especially New Jersey and Long Island (one of its nicknames is Jewlane), but that's their #1 market.

Of course, my takeaway from those tours was just how horrible most of them are, and what a terrible job most schools do in recruiting (I'm talking to you, Georgetown, Northwestern and Columbia), but that's a subject for its own thread.

by Anonymousreply 2003/30/2013

Tell us more about your nephew, r20.

by Anonymousreply 2203/30/2013

The "MurderS Du Jour" luridly described on the evening N.O. news 365 days a year eventually wears on your New Orleans experience.

by Anonymousreply 2303/30/2013

[quote]Actually, [R1], acceptance into Tulane is as competitive as Vanderbilt, Rice and Emory.

Bwah! I don't know about the others but bitch please, Rice is definitely more competitive. Yes I am a biased alumnus, but a simple Wikipedia search against the numbers you posted prove me right.

by Anonymousreply 2403/30/2013

New Orleans is why OP. Duh.

Years ago, New Orleans was seen as a dead end, nothing but tourists and drunks, but nowadays post-Katrina it has a slightly better reputation as a place where things are happening. It has oil money, some reconstruction going on, and young people are more into binge drinking than they used to be.

by Anonymousreply 2503/30/2013

It's the Harvard of Uptown New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 2603/30/2013

[quote]I've never understood why it's so popular with Jewish kids from the East Coast, especially New Jersey and Long Island (one of its nicknames is Jewlane), but that's their #1 market.

Ah that explains it...the girls I know who want to go there are both Jewish. Foolish me, I thought that was a good reason not to go is the south!!! You'll get lynched!!

by Anonymousreply 2703/30/2013

R24 = Isaias

by Anonymousreply 2803/30/2013

[quote] younger people these days tend to be a lot more engaged than past generations

bitch please...remember the 60's?

by Anonymousreply 3003/30/2013

It is overrated and impressed with itself. Try asking Tulane grads what kind of jobs they get with just an undergrad degree.

More prestigious universities not far away (Rice, Emory, Vanderbilt) that are less expensive and clearly better stepping stones.

And its law school is ridiculously expensive and impressed with itself. Hard to find good jobs from there. NOLA still sucks economically.

by Anonymousreply 3103/30/2013

Well I wasn't born in the 60's either but I've read about them r32..I suggest you do...and yes the current "entitlement" generation is very civic minded----ha!

by Anonymousreply 3303/30/2013

Garth was 1990.

by Anonymousreply 3503/30/2013

Rice is the better school.

Disgusting fact: Newt Gingrich went to Tulane.

by Anonymousreply 3603/30/2013

Oh yes, Rice. Alma Mater of the wonderful Alberto Gonzalez.

by Anonymousreply 3703/30/2013

Andrew Breitbart -- Tulane alum

by Anonymousreply 3803/31/2013

omg!!!! Breitbart was married to Susannah Bean, the daughter of actor Orson Bean

What would Kitty Carlisle have thought of a thing like that?

by Anonymousreply 3903/31/2013

Is R32 a parody post? Among the only people in our generation that aren't self centered are the ones that joined the military post 9-11. I can't think of anything else Millennials accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 4003/31/2013

They let anyone in who pays full boat since Katrina.

by Anonymousreply 4103/31/2013

[quote]Disgusting fact: Newt Gingrich went to Tulane.

Only for grad school.

I've posted this before, but a friend of mine was in grad school with Mitt, and said that if he ever saw Mitt when he wasn't stoned or drunk, he can't remember it. In fact, he said that Mitt was a rather pleasant fellow who was interested in avoiding the draft, getting high, getting drunk, and screwing as many women as possible.

by Anonymousreply 4203/31/2013

Christ, not Mitt, Newt.

Sorry, I've been drinking.

by Anonymousreply 4303/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 4403/31/2013

omg I have to go there next week! I don't want to! Help!! What about the levees? Is there toxic mold? I'm not even Jewish!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4508/26/2013

no one? I'm going to be all alone at Tulane? Woe is me.

by Anonymousreply 4608/27/2013

Wonderful food in New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 4708/27/2013

Well I am impressed none of you have been so classless as to mention d-u-k-e.

by Anonymousreply 4808/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!