Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sugar-Free Candy and Diarrhea

Ever happen to you?

Jesus Christ. How is this stuff legal?

by Anonymousreply 6709/30/2013

Diarrhea would of been an improvement in my case. GAS, double over with gas for hours. The sugar substitutes they use cause the problems.

by Anonymousreply 103/29/2013

Are you shitting me?

by Anonymousreply 203/29/2013

Unless you're diabetic, there's no reason to eat the stuff. And even then, is it really a necessary food item?

by Anonymousreply 303/29/2013

Yeah, I agree.

A saw a dietician on a talk show once who said skip the butter-substitutes and go with regular butter, just use a little bit.

That's made sense to me. I figure there are no free short-cuts.

Moderation is key.

by Anonymousreply 403/29/2013

Holy shit, Batman! Yes....

by Anonymousreply 503/29/2013

I can't eat them, wonder if they could make them with another substitute.

by Anonymousreply 603/29/2013

Why hasn't Stevia caught on? You would think companies would jump to replace the bad stuff.

by Anonymousreply 703/29/2013

Well, it's great if you want to completely empty your digestive system. Works better than any laxative!

by Anonymousreply 903/29/2013

Sugar free ice cream gives me the shits so bad it's almost overwhelming. It took a few times before I realized what was causing it.

by Anonymousreply 1003/29/2013

I'm diabetic and I have no problems with sugar free stuff. I use stevia whenever I can, but it's not exactly ubiquitus the way other sugar substitutes can be.

Meanwhile, if I had to choose between butter and margarine, I'll choose butter everytime. The difference between the two is negligible in terms of fat content, and hydrogenated oils fuck with your triglycerides big time.

(And coconut and olive oils are much healthier than butter).

by Anonymousreply 1103/29/2013

Olive oil, yes, but coconut oil and palm oil are very bad for you. Anything saturated needs to be monitored carefully.

by Anonymousreply 1203/29/2013

OP, How the freak much did you eat? Didn't you read the warning on the package?

by Anonymousreply 1303/30/2013

I once binged on eight ounces of sugar-free gummi bears. Never again. DEAR GOD, NEVER AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 1403/30/2013

Yeah coconut oil is bad for you, very bad for you.

You should try Smart Balance spread, the one that lowers your cholesterol. Tastes BETTER than butter.

by Anonymousreply 1503/30/2013

Obviously R15 hasn't done the research on coconut oil. It's health-promoting factors have been known at least since 2001 when I researched coconut oil the first time.

Yes, sugar-free stuff made with sugar alcohols (sorbitol, mannitol, erithritol) only works if you can handle very small quantities. But most people who buy it have issues with portion control. The gas and diarrhea pains are not worth it. So stay away.

You can make your own delicious stuff with stevia. I make my own icecream and it's as good as the good ice cream brands. Sometimes I use real cream, sometimes with a can of coconut milk. Only use stevia for the sweetener. My fave is mint chocolate chip I got from a paleo cookbook. I just replace the maple syrup with 1t pure stevia (or stevia in glycerite), and grate unsweetened baker's chocolate in during the last 5 minutes. (also calls for 1t vanilla and 1/2t peppermint extract. If you also want it green like store-bought, you have to put everything in the food processor first with 1/2 cup packed raw spinach. But it's delicious with or without spinach. Also delicious without the chocolate, if you are lazy like me.) If you like ice cream, you should really get a cheap ice cream maker and make your own so you can control the ingredients.

I've been baking a lot of gluten-free and paleo treats with stevia to meet my sweet tooth with mostly great results.

by Anonymousreply 1603/30/2013

I'd always read that coconut oil was one of the tropical oils that was super high in saturated fat (along with palm oil). How is it healthier?

by Anonymousreply 1703/30/2013

[quote]I use stevia whenever I can, but it's not exactly ubiquitus the way other sugar substitutes can be.

Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 1803/30/2013

If I eat more than five sugar-free Hershey chocolates in a short time I get the runs.

by Anonymousreply 1903/30/2013

[quote]I'd always read that coconut oil was one of the tropical oils that was super high in saturated fat (along with palm oil). How is it healthier?

Yes, it's what movie theaters use to pop popcorn. There was a big national news outcry about how terrible it was for you because of the coconut oil. People were calling for air pooped corn, but it never sold. We got it in fifty pound metal buckets and it was solid. We would have to use a electric metal heater plunged into the tub to melt it enough to insert the popper's pump. So once it was high in cholesterol and it would kill you and now it's a miracle food. Who the hell knows.

by Anonymousreply 2003/30/2013

Those Skinny Cow ice cream products really do a number on me. Terrible flatulence. Bean-O's no help, either.

by Anonymousreply 2103/30/2013

Coconut Oil is now like religion, people 'believe' in it. They find 'amazing' health benefits, they use it and lose weight, their skin clears and they feel ever so much better.

They do 'research' on sites promoting the oil and thus 'prove' their claims.

The stuff is still shit.

by Anonymousreply 2203/30/2013

[quote] People were calling for air pooped corn, but it never sold.

Generally, food products with the word "poop" don't tend to sell very well.

by Anonymousreply 2303/30/2013

R17, the list is long. I'll do my best to be concise. Yes, it used to be thought of as bad, because coconut oil is indeed saturated.

Coconut oil's health-giving properties is nothing trendy. It's lipid science.

SAY WHAT? Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic (that means cancer), anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Coconut oil is good for us because of its MCFAs: medium chain fatty acids, namely capric acid and caprylic acid, and the powerful lauric acid.

REGULAR HEALTH CO helps thyroid, cholesterol, candida, metabolism, reduce abdominal fat.

There are many links with info. The clickable link here is to Dr. Oz.

There's an easy-read Huff Post Dr Mercola article which includes the following: "Did you know that multiple studies on Pacific Island populations who get 30-60 percent of their total caloric intake from fully saturated coconut oil have all shown nearly non-existent rates of cardiovascular disease?"

huffingtonpost / dr-mercola / coconut-oil-benefits (then add in all the dot com and html stuff)

AIDS, HERPES and HEP (+) Coconut oil is effective in destroying viruses that cause influenza, measles, herpes, mononucleosis hepatitis C, and AIDS; bacteria that can cause stomach ulcers, throat infections, pneumonia, sinusitis, urinary tract infections, meningitis, gonorrhea, and toxic shock syndrome; fungi and yeast that lead to ringworm, candida, and thrush; and parasites that can cause intestinal infections such as giardiasis.

HOW IT KILLS PATHOGENS The fatty acids in coconut oil are similar to the pathogen's own skin, the fatty acids are attracted to the organism and are easily absorbed right into it. For the pathogen, it's like opening the door to an ax murderer, because they look like its best friend.

Last two pp from Natural News.

There's a huge list online called 160 uses for coconut oil. Interesting stuff, health-wise, for animals, and also for beauty and skin-care. Because of all its anti properties, it can kill a lot of yucky stuff and improve a lot of things. It's worth reading up on.

Sorry this is so long. It's hard to know what specifically would be helpful and interesting to you.

by Anonymousreply 2403/30/2013

Anything with Sorbitol gives me extreme gas, then the runs.

by Anonymousreply 2503/30/2013

I've never had an issue with sugar free candy. I used to suck on sugar free hard candies in grad school because the building where I attended classes didn't have any food in itsale and was right on the river. No shops that sold foods nearby. I spent hours in the school library. Days. Nights. Ugh.

I hate stevia. It tastes disgusting to me, like a vat of chemicals, even though it is "natural." It may be one of those things like cilantro where some people just cannot stand the taste and others think it's fine. It tastes worse than saccharine to me.

by Anonymousreply 2603/30/2013

R26, more natural versions of stevia do include a funky aftertaste. But the refined stuff, which is what is sold these days, is better. Also, in recipes that have other flavorful ingredients, it's fine. Really. The trick with stevia is to use a little less than you think you'll need. And use refined (either the white powder or the drops in glycerite).

I used to grow stevia. I wish I liked it more natural, but I figure the refined is still better than using sugar.

by Anonymousreply 2703/30/2013

I ate a can of fat free Pringles and shit my heart out. It came out of me like lava.

by Anonymousreply 2803/30/2013

Remember when Olestra was going to be the next big thing? Then came anal leakage ....

by Anonymousreply 3403/30/2013

Gives me horrible gas.

I'll just keep to the real sugar stuff. It's safer.

by Anonymousreply 3503/30/2013

I find it's best to serve them separately.

by Anonymousreply 3603/30/2013

[quote] Honestly, I don't know how the food and drug administration allows sugar-free candy. It's 99% laxative. People don't know what they're getting.

Some makers are now using Splenda rather than the various -tols that cause the laxative effect.

by Anonymousreply 3703/30/2013

[quote]Remember when Olestra was going to be the next big thing? Then came anal leakage ....

If you eat a bag of Olestra chips and bag of sugar free candy together, you will explode!

by Anonymousreply 3803/30/2013

I think you can build a tolerance to both olestra and sugar free candy. If I eat fat free Pringles after a long time of not eating them, I get a little loose, but then it stops if I continue to buy it. I don't eat a whole can in one sitting, though. Just a few. They don't taste very good, which is why I buy them. Just a few of them satisfy my salty/crunchy craving. If I bought something salty/crunchy that tasted good, I'd eat too many of them.

by Anonymousreply 3903/30/2013

The sugar free candy would be made with sugar alcohol. Not all diet candies have this. You have to find one with Equal or Sugar Twin or Cyclamates (in Canada)

by Anonymousreply 4003/31/2013

Can't handle sugar-free chocolate, gives me the runs.

by Anonymousreply 4103/31/2013

I wish I had some here now. I would welcome the 'effect' today.

by Anonymousreply 4203/31/2013

If it contains maltitol or any of the ...tol sweeteners say hello to diarrea. Just look up the side effects.

Maltitol is not completely absorbed in the intestine, and it can hold onto water, resulting in a "laxative effect" that includes bloating, gas and diarrhea. The effect is cumulative. The more maltitol is consumed, the worse the symptoms may be. Children are often more susceptible to the negative effects of polyols. Currently the Food and Drug Administration requires a label on items containing sugar alcohols, warning of the laxative.

The types of sugar alcohols are many: sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol, lactitol, isomalt, erythritol and maltitol -- each of which is absorbed by the body differently.

by Anonymousreply 4303/31/2013

Have you tried the olestra fat substitute? Same reaction if I Ethan more than a couple of chips

by Anonymousreply 4403/31/2013

Hey, weight loss is weight loss. Why are you complaining?

by Anonymousreply 4503/31/2013

Years ago I had friends who tried the then "sugar free" low carb peanut butter chocolate bars and had horrible diarrhea a few hours later. Aside from Xylitol, I would avoid any of the non sugar sweeteners.

by Anonymousreply 4603/31/2013

Yes, it gives you horrendous gas. But at least your farts smell nice and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 4703/31/2013

Eat the sugar free Gummi Bears, made by Haribo, sparingly.

Trust me on this one.

by Anonymousreply 4804/06/2013

I once ate a can of fat-free Pringles cheese-flavored chips made with olestra along with a bag of sugar-free chocolate candies. I ran to the toilet a half hour later, and the chips came out looking pretty much like they did when I swallowed them.

by Anonymousreply 4904/06/2013

Dear Lord in heaven!

by Anonymousreply 5004/06/2013

What a sexy thread.

by Anonymousreply 5104/06/2013

That's a diarrhea fest waiting to happen!

by Anonymousreply 5204/06/2013

[quote]Some makers are now using Splenda rather than the various -tols that cause the laxative effect.

They're now using both. They use Splnda AND sugar alcohols. I guess they want more flavor.

This candy, cookies, whatever, dont hurt my stomach, but it just opens up my entire digestive system, and I have to run to the bathroom every ten minutes for hours on end. I probably lost six pounds by the time it stopped.

I can do without junk, but once in awhile (and it has to be once in awhile for obvious reasons now) is not bad.

by Anonymousreply 5304/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 5409/27/2013

LOL r44. We can HEAR YOU!!!

I dont eat anything completely sugar free or fat free. The substitutes are more harmful than what they replaced

by Anonymousreply 5509/27/2013

sorry key board was stuck on caps & i didn't know it until posted.

by Anonymousreply 5609/27/2013

Best thread name ever. Could mean so many things. Is it a new band? A new Gabourey Sidibe film? A commentary on modern politics and social norms? You just don't know.

by Anonymousreply 5709/27/2013

I get Diarrhea on Sugar Free Chocolate, it doesn't agree with me.

by Anonymousreply 5809/27/2013

Thanks, r43!

by Anonymousreply 5909/27/2013

Try Chocoperfection chocolate. It's suppose to be good without all the stomach distress.

by Anonymousreply 6009/27/2013

[quote]I ate a can of fat free Pringles and shit my heart out. It came out of me like lava.

OMG, that sounds nasty. I've never eated fat free Pringles before.

by Anonymousreply 6109/27/2013

Xylitol is my sugar substitute of choice. It actually cleans your teeth and boosts your immune system.

by Anonymousreply 6209/27/2013

My dad is a diabetic. My parents live in a small town with not a lot of grocery options, but once in awhile my mom will get him a bag of sugar free Jolly Ranchers. They give him major gas issues.

by Anonymousreply 6309/27/2013

R4, I agree and I eat the 'real food' wherever possible myself. But the problem is that moderation can be really, really hard.. sigh.

by Anonymousreply 6409/27/2013

What's the best kind of coconut oil or solid fat to buy. I see they sell a big tub of it at Costco. Is that one any good. I once a small jar of virgin coconut oil and when I used it to fry the entire apartment smelled like burnt rubber and it was disgusting. Is that typical of coconut oil when it's heated or did I get a lousy kind?

by Anonymousreply 6509/27/2013

I STILL miss cyclamates. They were remarkably clean tasting, with no nasty side effects besides those pesky tumors.

by Anonymousreply 6609/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 6709/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!