Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Seems like even catholic high school's are finally coming around on the 'gay thing'

I love this story, finally someone gets it!

"Two gay students who attend an all-boys Catholic high school in Rochester, NY, are being welcomed to attend attend a school dance as a couple. The McQuaid Jesuit High School‘s President wrote a lengthy note to parents Wednesday, in part saying “If our two brothers who have asked to attend the Junior Ball wish to do so, they will be welcomed.” He also clarified that he was not encouraging or endorsing homosexual activity.

The couple had asked for permission to attend McQuaid’s Junior Ball as a couple, and there was even an online petition to support them.

The students are both juniors at McQuaid, and according to online petitions, are openly gay."

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2013

wow, I wish I could have done this way back when i attended my catholic high school.

by Anonymousreply 103/29/2013

[quote]catholic high school's

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 203/29/2013

That's a very thoughtful letter.

by Anonymousreply 303/29/2013

haha, "ALL-BOYS Catholic high school" oh my!

by Anonymousreply 403/29/2013

"We understand that having a homosexual orientation brings with it enough anxiety, pain and issues related to self-acceptance without society bringing additional prejudicial treatment.”

"The Bishops continue, “It is not sufficient only to avoid unjust discrimination. Homosexual persons ‘must be accepted with respect, compassion and sensitivity’ (Catechism of the Catholic Church, no. 2358). They, as is true of every human being, need to be nourished at many different levels simultaneously. This includes friendship, [brotherhood] which is a way of loving and is essential to healthy human development. It is one of the richest possible human experiences. Friendship can and does thrive outside of sexual involvement.”"

Thats whats up!

by Anonymousreply 503/29/2013

Are the boys hot?

by Anonymousreply 603/29/2013

Jesuits are about the only thing cool about Catholics. And some orders of nuns.

by Anonymousreply 703/29/2013

It's a Jesuit school, many of which have gay groups or gay-straight alliances.

by Anonymousreply 803/29/2013

I'm happy for those two boys.

by Anonymousreply 903/29/2013

I just read the letter and I have to say, this is one progressive jesuit school!!!! Good for them!!!

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

I went to their website and made a donation in honor of this brave Father Edward Salmon. Tolerance deserves reward.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

Hey, the new pope is a Jesuit! He's going around, washing women's feet, too. If Catholics start doing more of this acceptance thing, I could begin to accept them, too.

by Anonymousreply 1204/02/2013

The Sisters of St. Joseph are the school teacher nuns. I went to a Catholic School, and they knew their stuff. Incredibly gifted teachers.

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2013

most catholics are gay

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013

As far as Catholics go, Jesuits rule

Note, that's a big qualifier

by Anonymousreply 1504/02/2013

This is cool.

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2013

[quote]Are the boys hot?

Yes, where's the pics???!!!

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2013

I've posted about this on DL over the years, but the Jesuits are terrific. I went to a Jesuit all-boys HS in the '80s, and it was very progressive. We had at least three assemblies I can remember exclusively on the topic of AIDS, including one where the panel consisted entirely of men suffering from AIDS, one of whom was an alumnus of the school. It was handled with extraordinary respect and caring and compassion.

In class there was nothing unusual about conflicting viewpoints on gays, abortion, race relations, women's rights, etc. It was pretty clear that most of the faculty (religious or lay) were liberal Democrats.

There is plenty that is fucked-up about the Catholic Church, but I will always have fond memories and appreciation for everything the Jesuits did for me.

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2013

I am still friends with a nun who in her 70s remains an incredibly liberal nun who is as critical of the catholic church as I am but who believes that she can still fulfill her mission - work with kids and the poor - within it.

And yes, she's a St Joe.

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!