Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'Dark Side of the Moon'

Pink Floyd's album came out around this time in 1973. It's the 40th anniversary.

Does Datalounge think highly of this album?

by Anonymousreply 8904/11/2013

I enjoy it. I've always wanted to do that thing where you listen and synch it with the "Wizard of Oz."

by Anonymousreply 103/29/2013

Love the album. did the Wizard of Oz thing a few times too.

by Anonymousreply 203/29/2013

Overrated, obviously. I can't believe it's one of the highest selling albums of all time. During my acid days in high school, I much preferred Wish You Were Here. They had improved quite a lot by that then, I think their next album.

by Anonymousreply 303/29/2013

Well acid is a must.

by Anonymousreply 403/29/2013

So many stoner boyfriends listened to this in the 80's. Never was my thing.

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2013

R1, you can find a sync on Youtube.

It's marvelous.

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2013

Loved it in high school. I think the reason it's been a top selling album/CD is that people are always borrowing it from other people and not returning it. I've had to replace my CD at least 10 times. Not so much now that everything is downloadable tho, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2013

Can someone please explain the Wizard of Oz connection?

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2013

In the late 70's I had a job as a shipping clerk, in an office where there was little direct supervision, as long as we got the job done. One of my colleagues would nap at the end of the day, so we would blast "Time" (the track with all the clocks going off) to wake him up.

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2013

I love that album. The '70s had the best rock groups ever. I loved Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Rush, Styx, Queen, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, etc. I am so happy that I grew up during that era.

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2013

hate it and Pink Floyd

by Anonymousreply 1204/10/2013

Well that could be because you're stupid, r12. Give it some thought.

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2013

I hate white supremacist groups like pink floyd. They are so antigay. Rock music sucks. I am so glad rock is dying. Barbra and Cher 4-ever!

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2013

I've heard it synchs up with some infomercial with Joan Crawford in the supermarket. You just have to play the video on a loop. If only someone somewhere had access to that video and could test it......

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

I can't say I hate it, but I sure don't love it. I was alive and well and buying records in April, 1973, but this one failed to register.

I never owned a copy until a friend gave me all her old records in 2006. I played it once and was, like, "Ohhhhh, *that's* DSOTM." Apparently I either sold it or gave it away, as I can't find it under "P" in my record collection.

Everything I have by Pink Floyd on iTunes is unchecked.

It, and they, have just never made an impression on me, good or bad.

Is it true PF are white supremacists and gayhaters, as R14 asserts? I did not know that.

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

R16 No, it is not true. They are not, and have never been, racist or white supremacists. R14 is one of those who think it's a sin if a gay man listens to rock music. He thinks we should all worship those glittery-gowned, squawking, antiquated, warbling old bitches like Streisand and Minnelli.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

"Dark Side of the Moon" is one of my all-time favorite albums.

My Faves:

10. The Rolling Stones - "Sticky Fingers" (1971)

09. Queen - "Sheer Heart Attack" (1974)

08. Led Zeppelin - "Led Zeppelin II" (1969)

07. Van Halen - "Van Halen" (1978)

06. Pink Floyd - "Dark Side of the Moon" (1973)

05. Cheap Trick - "At Budokan" (1979)

04. Rush - "2112" (1976)

03. Metallica - "Ride The Lightning" (1984)

02. AC/DC - "If You Want Blood..." (1978)

01. AC/DC - "Highway To Hell" (1979)

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2013

r14, I realize that was probably a parody post making fun of idiots, but even reading that makes me want to puke.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2013

I love me some "Dark Side of the Moon." I bought it in 1973 (when I was 13) and have been listening to it ever since. Awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2013

It's straight boy frat rock, even back in the 70s there were alternatives for gay boys, Elton, Linda Ronstadt, Eagles, Cher, disco.

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2013

and by the way, r13, you're the stupid one for calling someone who doesn't agree with you stupid. Very immature.

by Anonymousreply 2204/10/2013

Never liked anything by Pink Floyd. I was very Stones and Who back then.

by Anonymousreply 2304/10/2013

1973 was a bang-up year for music. One of my favorite years ever:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

Budgie - Never Turn Your Back On A Friend

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies

Deep Purple - Made In Japan

Queen - Queen

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation

Montrose - Montrose

Robin Trower - Twice Removed From Yesterday

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

Grand Funk Railroad - We're An American Band

(We gay dudes can rock too, you know)

by Anonymousreply 2404/10/2013

I was also very Led Zep, Cream, Spirit, Traffic, Jethro Tull, Allman Brothers, CSN&Y, Creedence, Joe Cocker, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, David Bowie... PF just didn't register

by Anonymousreply 2504/10/2013

[quote]It's straight boy frat rock, even back in the 70s there were alternatives for gay boys, Elton, Linda Ronstadt, Eagles, Cher, disco.

For this one it was Ramones, Elvis Costello, Buzzcocks, Sex Pistols, Nick Lowe, Siouxsie, Stiff Little Fingers, etc.

Pink Floyd was enormously popular at my high school, as were Rush and (oh God) Foghat. I do remember a lot of kids thought the message of "Another Brick in the Wall" to be the most profound thing they'd ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 2604/10/2013

R26 I was as gay as the day is long, but I loved Rush, Pink Floyd and Foghat. But I hated Nugent even then.

by Anonymousreply 2704/10/2013

Prefer early psych Floyd. The Great Gig In The Sky is the worst song ever.

by Anonymousreply 2804/10/2013

I remember back when I was a Senior in H.S. (1973-1974) I gave a ride to this little queeny guy in my class. He saw my 8-tracks (Led Zep, Stones, Purple, Sabbath, Floyd, Alice Cooper, etc.) and freaked out on me, screaming, "You are gay, Randall! You can't listen to this garbage. It's beneath us."

I asked him what I should be listening to and he replied, "The good stuff, you know, The Carpenters, The Osmonds, Bread, Helen Reddy. Things with class. Not this straight garbage!" I just laughed and said, "You take your musical path, I'll take mine." We were good friends, other than our musical tastes.

by Anonymousreply 2904/10/2013

37-year-old here, so this was all "before my time", but one of the pillars of my music collection is British rock between 1965-1979. Basically "Meet The Beatles" through "The Wall". "Dark Side" was one of the albums I learned to play bass from - I got the transcriptions and played it incessantly, along with "Abbey Road" and "Classic Queen".

The Stones are the one group that I personally don't quite jibe with - my Holy Trinity would be Who/Beatles/Floyd, with Ziggy-era Bowie close behind. I grew up a Musical Theatre nerd, and "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" were my gateway drugs that turned me onto that stuff.

A few years ago I briefly dated a severely hardcore Zeppelin-head who was the same age as me. We're out there.

by Anonymousreply 3004/10/2013

Screw that Pink Floyd frat rock. April 2013 is also the 40th Anniversary of Cher's awesome album 'Bittersweet White Light' (a far better album than that Darkside crap). You can't beat 'The Man That Got Away', 'Why Was I Born', 'I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good' & 'The Man I Love' are some of the hottest rock and roll ever recorded.

by Anonymousreply 3104/10/2013

It's possible to enjoy Pink Floyd for the camp factor, too.

by Anonymousreply 3204/10/2013

I realize that this is a gay forum, but how in the living fuck of all fucks do Cher, Barbra, and Bette get dragged into a discussion about Pink Floyd? Can Cher's 1973 album REALLY compare to "Dark Side of the Moon"? The mind boggles.

I have nothing against those ladies, but all gays do not listen to lounge music. I'm 47 and consider Barbra and Bette to be my mom's music.

by Anonymousreply 3304/10/2013

Cher's record was brilliant and revolutionary in its own way. Not all of us like what the rock critics tell us is good. Some are independent thinkers.

by Anonymousreply 3404/10/2013

Reason: Cher, Babs and Bette have talent. Screaming devil worshipping pussy licking frat rockers like Led Zeplin, Kiss, and Pink Floyd cover up their lack of talent with guitar noise and screaming.

by Anonymousreply 3504/10/2013

I could never get into Dark Side. I love The Wall and Wish You Were Here.

Give me Bowie or The Who over Floyd any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 3604/10/2013

Which one's Pink?

by Anonymousreply 3704/10/2013

I love Pink Floyd and all of their albums. "Dark Side" was probably their best (a tie with "Wish You Were Here", perhaps). Great band. Great album.

by Anonymousreply 3804/10/2013

R35 If you hate "pussy licking frat rockers" like Pink Floyd, then why the fuck are you here? I don't go on Cher and Bette threads and throw around the hate. By the way, how do you know they were pussy lickers? You have no clue what they do behind closed doors.

by Anonymousreply 3904/10/2013

I'm 26 and I grew up on Pink Floyd. My dad (the coolest man who ever lived) loves Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc. and played them constantly when I was growing up. "Dark Side of the Moon" was always playing in our car on family vacations (along with lots of Led Zeppelin and Rush). My mom, my dad, my brother and sister and I would sing all the songs along with the "Dark Side" CD on long road trips. Great memories. Thanks for the great musical education, mom and dad!

by Anonymousreply 4004/10/2013

[quote]Reason: Cher and Bette have talent.

by Anonymousreply 4104/10/2013

R24 I'm a few years younger than you (I'm 48) but I love every album on that 1973 list. I think I had all of them except the Elton John one (my sis had that one) when I was a kid. Nice to know there are other rockin' 'mos out there.

by Anonymousreply 4204/10/2013

I remember back in the '70s (around 1977, or so) some really awful disco group called Rosebud butchered several Pink Floyd songs. Most notably "Have a Cigar" (from "Wish You Were Here"). I loved Floyd and thought it was sacrilege. I liked some of the better disco music, but hated most of what was released. I remember a couple of my queenier friends praising Rosebud for their brilliance. They had no clue who Pink Floyd was. Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 4304/10/2013

Here is AMG's guide to 1973, likely to replicate much of that list.

by Anonymousreply 4404/10/2013

Strange. I am sitting at my desk in the office, listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" on my headphones right now. I opened DL and what do you know? The first thread I saw was on "Dark Side of the Moon." "Brain Damage/Eclipse" is playing at this very moment. Too Cool.

by Anonymousreply 4504/10/2013

I love me some Dark Side. My brother gave me his extra copy soon after it came out (I was about 8 years old). I played that record all through my youth and into adulthood. I then bought the CD and played it for decades. Now I have it on my iPod, where it receives much play. Can't say a Cher album ever did the same thing for me, lol.

by Anonymousreply 4604/10/2013

My brother and I grew up in a very abusive household (parents were both confrontational alcoholics). Pink Floyd, The Stones, Queen and Led Zeppelin were our escape. We would lock ourselves in our bedroom to keep away from the turmoil and plug in our oversized headphones and would endlessly escape to the sounds of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon."

My childhood sucked, but I can look back and smile because I had my great brother (who went through the same hell) and great music to escape with. Special thanks to Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Queen and Led Zeppelin. You saved my life.

by Anonymousreply 4704/10/2013

My favourite album ever.

by Anonymousreply 4804/10/2013

My favorite two albums of all-time were both released in 1973. Floyd's "Dark Side" and Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy." Yeah, baby!

by Anonymousreply 4904/10/2013

My teen years would not have been the same without that album. "Dark Side of the Moon" came out toward the end of my Freshman year of high school. It was THE party album throughout high school and college. Awesome and beautiful music contained therein.

by Anonymousreply 5004/10/2013

Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon was the tape that was playing in my friend's truck when I had my first man-on-man love session. We were both 16, drunk, horny and ready for action. "Dark Side" really kicked the ambience up a few notches. I still get a boner thinking about it when I hear any song from that album.

I wonder whatever happened to that guy. I should google his sweet ass. I hope he's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 5104/10/2013

Yes, R51. Google his sweet ass, and report back.

by Anonymousreply 5204/10/2013

My 1973 was spent listening to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", Led Zep's "Houses of The Holy", Deep Purple's "Made in Japan", Paul McCartney & Wing's "Band on the Run" and Black Sabbath's "Vol. 4" (1972, but I still cranked it in '73). Ahhh, the memories. What wonderful music and what a great soundtrack to my 15th year.

by Anonymousreply 5304/10/2013

R51 That tape was also playing when I lost my innocence (what little there was, lol). You are not, by chance, from Austin, TX are you? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 5404/10/2013

[54] Austin... tell us about the Moon Towers.

by Anonymousreply 5504/10/2013

R54 No. Same state though. Houston area. Wouldn't that have been hilarious?

by Anonymousreply 5604/10/2013

R55 This place used to be off limits, man, 'cause some drunk freshman fell off. He went right down the middle, smacking his head on every beam, man. I hear it doesn't hurt after the first couple though. Autopsy said he had one beer, how many did you have?

by Anonymousreply 5704/10/2013

R56 Yeah, really. I guess Pink Floyd was really big as the soundtrack of choice for poppin' cherries back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 5804/10/2013

R58 Still is from what I hear.

by Anonymousreply 5904/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 6004/10/2013

Lots of baby boomer cherries just a-waitin', R58.

by Anonymousreply 6104/10/2013

R60 No, dear. Disco did not kill rock music. Both were popular. I liked both, but neither killed the other. Pink Floyd's The Wall album came out in November of 1979 and sold over 20 million copies. Some death. Led Zeppelin and several other groups continued to sell tens of millions of albums during the disco era. I call bullshit on your post.

by Anonymousreply 6204/10/2013

R61 I know I took more than my fair share of boomer cherries back then. LOL. I was a bad, bad boy in my wayward youth. Like Mae West said, "When I'm good, I'm very good, and when I'm bad, I'm better." I was in good company.

by Anonymousreply 6304/10/2013

[quote]For this one it was Ramones, Elvis Costello, Buzzcocks, Sex Pistols, Nick Lowe, Siouxsie, Stiff Little Fingers, etc.

I love the sound of those bands and that era generally. The cool kids at school still listen to that- there's not as much good stuff around now- just dumb people's music. I also love Van Halen guitar solos. Definitely has nothing to do with frat boys.

by Anonymousreply 6404/10/2013

It was punk that came in to kill the (prog) rock dinosaurs, just as grunge got rid of hair metal.

The Floyd were immune as they were too big and it was more a reaction against those super indulgent prog concept albums.

by Anonymousreply 6504/10/2013

For some reason my friends and I didn't discover Who's Next until Christmas 72, and it was our favorite album in 73.

I think it was the first rock album where a full-sized synthesizer was used in almost every song. It was the height of "tech" at the time! Moogs and ARPs were wall-sized contraptions with all kinds of knobs and wires. Pink Floyd used a mini-synth on Dark Side of the Moon.

We also loved Walter (now Wendy) Carlos' synth music from Clockwork Orange.

Now synths are just keyboards.

by Anonymousreply 6604/10/2013

'Great Gig in the Sky' might be garbage to you, but it was kind of my coming out. My (straight) friends and I were doing sylicybin (sp?) and thai stick and drinking god knows what. When 'great gig' came on, I grabbed a towel, wrapped it around my head and did a smashing duet with Claire what's her name. My friends just sat there stoned - I don't recall if they ever mentioned it.

My first drag performance!

by Anonymousreply 6704/10/2013

[quote]It was punk that came in to kill the (prog) rock dinosaurs

Which is why King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Rush, Roger Waters, etc all still exist in some shape or form and making great music still and punk has turned into bubblegum.

by Anonymousreply 6804/10/2013

The wonderful thing about the '70s was that I loved all types of music and everyone took chances back then. There was great Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk, New Wave, R&B, Funk, Disco, etc. The only shitty music was 90% of the Top 40 garbage. Groups really pushed the limits back then. Look at Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bee Gees, Ramones, ABBA, Donna Summer, Parliament/Funkadelic, Rush, even Styx. They all experimented and came up with brilliant sounds.

Back then, I could put on a Zeppelin album, followed by the Bee Gees, followed by David Bowie, followed by Rush and it all seemed so fresh and new. What a time!

by Anonymousreply 6904/10/2013

Dark Side of the Moon is my desert island disk. I take it everywhere I go.

by Anonymousreply 7004/10/2013

Sooooooooooo awesome. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7104/10/2013

I love Dark Side of the Moon. That Christmas of 1973 I told my parents I wanted rock albums. I didn't know that many groups so I (gulp) left it up to them. They did surprisingly well. I ended up with Pink Floyd's "Dark Side" (my dad heard it playing in the department store as a demo on some stereo equipment and was impressed with the freaky sounds), Uriah Heep's "Sweet Freedom", Grand Funk's "We're An American Band" and Led Zep's "Houses of the Holy." I'm glad I let my parents choose the albums for me, or else it would have been years before I discovered Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 7204/10/2013

The first four rock albums I ever bought (with my paper route money when I was 10 years old in 1973) were Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy", The Who's "Quadrophenia", The Rolling Stones' "Goats Head Soup", and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". I spent many, many hours spinning those records. Money was hard to come by for me back then, but it was money well spent.

I can close my eyes and I'm back in my old hometown in Missouri, laying on my old bed, headphones on, jacking off and listening to those beautiful, ethereal records. Time sure flies. Now I'm fifty and still listening to those same albums (on my iPod) every chance I get.

by Anonymousreply 7304/10/2013

R73 I did the same thing in my early teens. Dark Side of the Moon on the headphones, laying on my back, eyes closed, fantasizing about Jan-Michael Vincent, Scott Jacoby and whoever my school crush was and flogging the dolphin until it was raw. Good old days indeed.

by Anonymousreply 7404/10/2013

That album came out when I was 13. My best friends, Johnny (straight), Toby (straight) and Robert (gay), used to come over to the house and we would sneak into my older brother's room (he worked waiting tables in the evenings), steal and smoke his weed and listen to his Pink Floyd and Led Zep albums, while tripping out to his black light posters and strobe lights. Great days indeed.

by Anonymousreply 7504/10/2013

I miss those days of '73/'74. My friends and I used to jam Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Zeppelin's IV and Houses of the Holy, Queen's first and second albums, and ZZ Top's Tres Hombres. Lots of good times.

by Anonymousreply 7604/10/2013

Oh I do love a bit of King Crimson, R68. Of the rest of your list Yes were probably the worst offenders, some real Spinal Tap shit.

Genesis well obviously with Peter Gabriel they were fine. I don't think Rush made any impact in the UK, but again credible and much beloved.

I don't know, these bands were hardly dinosaurs as they were mostly new and not 60s carry overs like Floyd, even then they wouldn't have been around long. Maybe when they say that they mean dinosaurs in attitude and their approach.

by Anonymousreply 7704/10/2013

It's funny that one of the biggest bands in the UK in the 70s, Status Quo, had i think, only one US hit.

by Anonymousreply 7804/10/2013

A few more 70s favorites:

Cat Stevens

Steely Dan

Mott the Hoople

Rod Stewart and the Faces

T Rex

The Police

Roxy Music

Boomtown Rats

Fleetwood Mac

Blind Faith

Moodie Blues

The Doors (held over from the 60s)

by Anonymousreply 7904/10/2013

Santana was a favorite for about 10 minutes

by Anonymousreply 8004/10/2013

"She bit her dog?"

by Anonymousreply 8104/10/2013

Explained by smaht a Brit wiff a speech impediment:

by Anonymousreply 8204/10/2013

In 1969, R80.

by Anonymousreply 8304/10/2013

I love Dark Side. I'm listening to it right now.

by Anonymousreply 8404/11/2013

Greatest album of all time (along with Led Zeppelin IV and The Beatles' Abbey Road).

by Anonymousreply 8504/11/2013

I listened to FM progressive rock radio all through my adolescence and "Dark Side of the Moon" was one of those albums that got so much constant airplay I knew every note by heart. It never occurred to me to buy it.

I recognized it as good music but it was too bitter and morbid to my taste. I was miserable enough as a teenager. My favorite rock album from that era was "Ziggy Stardust" and I much preferred the message of "Rock 'n Roll Suicide" to that of "Time."

by Anonymousreply 8604/11/2013

To me the funny thing about the "Dark Side of the Moon"/"Wizard of Oz" meme is that it would have been pretty much impossible to pull off when the album was new, unless you had access to a projector and a print of the film. Home video didn't really come around until the late 1970s and I'm not even sure when "Wizard of Oz" first came out on Betamax or VHS. Otherwise, I suppose you could have played the album on your record player or tape deck while the film was being shown on broadcast TV and stop the tape or pick the needle off the record when the commercials came on.

by Anonymousreply 8704/11/2013

R87 Calling it a meme would have been pretty much impossible to pull off when the album was new, too.

by Anonymousreply 8804/11/2013

"Dark Side of the Moon" was one of those albums that it seemed everyone owned a copy of, regardless of their musical taste (much like the "Saturday Night Fever" Soundtrack, AC-DC's "Back in Black" and "Led Zeppelin IV."

Just a classic!

by Anonymousreply 8904/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!