Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will the Westboro Baptist Church finally fall apart when Fred Phelps dies?

I cannot figure out what keeps them going. They say they refuse donations, so how are they funded? And what keeps that kind of hate going all the time? is it just the cult of Phelps's personality? And can Shirley keep it going after he dies?

by Anonymousreply 2207/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 103/29/2013

I could never figure out how all the kids and grandkids manage to find spouses from outside the family who are willing to marry into their nasty little "church." Yet, it keeps happening.

by Anonymousreply 203/29/2013

Doesn't their congregation number around 30, mostly relatives?

by Anonymousreply 303/29/2013

I'll step in.

by Anonymousreply 403/29/2013

Fred's daughter will keep it going.

by Anonymousreply 503/29/2013

It's not a church, it's a tax exempt hate group.

by Anonymousreply 603/29/2013

They're extortionists, and have made a nice living for years. They threaten to picket your event unless they get "donations", and if they don't get a donation they provoke some poor decent guy into hitting them and then they sue for damages.

They'll keep at it as long as their scams make money.

by Anonymousreply 703/29/2013

[quote]And can Shirley keep it going after he dies?

I hope we learn the answer to this very soon.

by Anonymousreply 803/29/2013

This is bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2013

It's a fake, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1003/31/2013

Allegedly, even the KKK have protested against Phelps on some occasion. They are basically just the rump of a cult now who live off of media notoriety. I think they know that their best times have long since passed, hence some of their most publicized defections recently.

by Anonymousreply 1103/31/2013

How do these people legally protest at funerals? I mean, you get killed or arrested for protesting the decisions of the president yet you can picket funerals? What the fuck?

by Anonymousreply 1207/18/2013

We really like the cut of Westboro's misanthropic jib. They're willing to say shit that even I would dare not say. We should look at a merger.

by Anonymousreply 1307/18/2013

Shirley Phelps-Roeper comes across as even nastier than her father, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's able to keep it going, although I would imagine they'd be even more marginalized.

by Anonymousreply 1407/18/2013

[quote]I could never figure out how [bold]all[/bold] the kids and grandkids manage to find spouses from outside the family...

I could never figure out how people use "all" in threads like this when "all" is an obvious exaggeration/lie. Phelps is estranged from four of his children, but r2 prefers the drama of the hatemonger getting full support from all his offspring.

by Anonymousreply 1507/18/2013

Several years ago a gay radio personality here in kansas city interviewed the daughter. Eventually she was a frequent guest on the alternative radio station. The openly gay radio personality named "Scoops", even went out to the house for Easter dinner with the Phelps family. He did say Fred was quiet. And was invited to stay temporarily when his roomate threw him out. I think they are more about publicity than hatred. Although, i think they'd rather people not know that.

by Anonymousreply 1607/18/2013

The real question is will the Westboro Baptist Church picket when Fred Phelps dies?

by Anonymousreply 1707/18/2013

Fred Phelps is not the head of that church anymore.

They're like any other terrorist cell, chop off the head and 3 more will leap up to replace him .

by Anonymousreply 1807/18/2013

I think they are more about publicity than hatred. Although, i think they'd rather people not know that.

They are publicity whores. Their God is Vanity and Publicity.

They are also the embodiment of HATE. For fuck's sake being civilized doesn't remove the hateful motivations. The fucking nazis were 'civilized' to people while they piled them onto trains and into the fucking gas chambers.

And yes I'm using a nazi metaphor because it fucking applies here.

by Anonymousreply 1907/18/2013

The Phelps clan are a pack of lawyers. It is not their freedom of religion but their familiarity with the law of the land that is the source of all their power.

by Anonymousreply 2007/18/2013

It's not about ideology anymore, but about money. That will always draw "followers".

by Anonymousreply 2107/18/2013

R2 There just obviously has to be inbreeding in that family.

by Anonymousreply 2207/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!