Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama signs the Monstanto protection act

Despite his promise in 2007 to demand GMO labeling.

He really is a corporate sell out.

Cue Charlie to come on and tell us how Frankenfood and HFCS are good for us.

by Anonymousreply 2503/28/2013

UGH, this is truly disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 103/28/2013

Which I have never said, ever. In fact HFCS is bad for you in general. But if you read my posts, I have also said the sucrose added to foods in place of HFCS is just as bad. THAT is what I have really said if you paid attention knumbskull. I have also advised those who are interested in any of these issues to follow Marion Nestle's blog and also in the media.

Take it or leave it, but I do have a PhD in clinical nutrition and have published, original research include (on obesity) more than 50 papers in major medical journals and been the editor of a few texts. I have absolutely no - that is to say, not conflict of interest.

By the way the issue of genetically modified food items is entirely different and separate from the issue of added simple sugars to processed foods. But then that might be too complicated for the OP to grasp. Hint: organic corn such as exists today, tomatoes, beans, you name it, are ALL genetically modified.

by Anonymousreply 203/28/2013

There is another thread from yesterday. Here the link to a petition, for what it's worth.

This is frightening, not so much for us, for the future.

by Anonymousreply 303/28/2013

Snap.

by Anonymousreply 403/28/2013

Another Republican bowing down to corporations. Oh wait.

by Anonymousreply 503/28/2013

Obama is a corporate sell out of the highest order

by Anonymousreply 603/28/2013

Not really.

by Anonymousreply 703/28/2013

We knew this would happen but will he do anything for the people? Romney would have done this and more but would he have tried to protect the middleclass, never.

I think most who voted for Obama knew he was the puppet of big business but still hoped that he would manage to do a little good.

America is owned and run by corporations...how can we get a government "for the people"?

by Anonymousreply 803/28/2013

Every day we inch closer and closer to the reality of the movie IDIOCRACY.

by Anonymousreply 903/28/2013

Not to defend him, exactly, because I do think Obama is a major sell-out, and he probably would have signed this if it was a stand-alone bill.

But it wasn't a separate bill, it was a rider included at the last minute in the latest continuing resolution to keep the government running for the time being.

If Obama didn't sign the CR, the federal government would basically have to shut down (over and above the sequestration issue, that is). So he pretty much didn't have much choice but to sign it.

Again, I want to reiterate that I'm not defending Obama, just pointing out some additional details for those who may not know them.

by Anonymousreply 1003/28/2013

He did have a choice.

Send it back and order the rider removed.

Line item veto.

by Anonymousreply 1103/28/2013

Two things:

1) It was a rider/amendment on a continuing resolution bill that had to be signed to keep the government functioning (Obama didn't put it there)

and

2) It's temporary, and expires after one year.

So... the blame isn't really on Obama (BLAME CONGRESS, DAMMIT), and it's not irreversible.

by Anonymousreply 1203/28/2013

R11, there's no such thing as a line-item veto. That wasn't an option.

by Anonymousreply 1303/28/2013

I blame them all, but he should not have signed it.

by Anonymousreply 1403/28/2013

Then it should have been rejected and he needed to come out and say why.

by Anonymousreply 1503/28/2013

"It should come as no surprise to many of you to find out that Monsanto actually authored the wording of its own Monsanto Protection Act hidden in the recently passed and signed Continuing Resolution spending bill. How could a major corporation write its own laws and regulations, you ask? Quite frankly I think it’s important to understand that the entire Senate passed the bill containing the Protection Act, but the politician who actually gave Monsanto the pen in order to write their very own legislation is no others than Roy Blunt — a Republican Senator from Missouri.

The passing of this bill into law means that Monsanto is now immune from federal courts regarding any suspension or action on their crops that have been deemed to be dangerous to the people (or the environment). This means crops that were approved and later found to damage the environment or the public will be immune from United States government action. Theoretically, one million studies could find that Monsanto’s latest creation was causing a massive cancer wave and under this law Monsanto could continue to peddle the crop to the public. The federal courts would (or will) be helpless to stop Monsanto, effectively giving Monsanto power over the entire branch of the United States government."

by Anonymousreply 1603/28/2013

ALEC strikes again

by Anonymousreply 1703/28/2013

It doesn't matter who put the rider in after Congress passes it and POTUS signs it.

Are people finally waking up to the fact both parties are two sides of the same coin?

Stop with the fucking petitions and phone calls. You want change then you need direct action.

by Anonymousreply 1803/28/2013

[quote]Are people finally waking up to the fact both parties are two sides of the same coin?

The level of stupidity and obliviousness it takes to make such a statement is always stunning to me. Yet morons like you ignore vast amounts of reality and data and history to continue uttering this stupid homily.

SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP. YOU. GODDAMNED. IDIOT.

by Anonymousreply 1903/28/2013

Corporate lobbying pays off!

by Anonymousreply 2003/28/2013

Good to see charlie. On any thread.

by Anonymousreply 2103/28/2013

R21 is KISS ASS.

by Anonymousreply 2203/28/2013

R19: Oh you are so right! Hey, it is a Democrat-controlled Senate and the House needs Democrat votes to pass-- oh and the guy signing the bills into law is a Democrat, so it makes sense that all the evil bills helping big money that pass and sign into law are the fault of the other party!!! It has always been that way!

Go watch MSNBC and pretend they don't pander to you for ratings like Fox does Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 2303/28/2013

[bold]Conservatives Laugh As Liberals Attack President Over Non-Existent ‘Monsanto Protection Act’[/bold]

If you’ve been on the internet any time since Tuesday, it is likely that you have seen something about what is being called the ‘Monsanto Protection Act.’ It always looks as if it is that the President has signed a bill giving complete immunity to the Missouri based corporation. But even a casual glance into this, and the whole argument falls apart.

See link:

by Anonymousreply 2403/28/2013

Fools.

by Anonymousreply 2503/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.