Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

George Zimmerman's brother says Twitter rant a "mistake"

George Zimmerman's brother says Twitter rant a "mistake"

By Barbara Liston

ORLANDO, FLORIDA | Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:25pm EDT

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - The brother of George Zimmerman, the man charged in the 2012 shooting death of unarmed black Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, said on Wednesday he was wrong to tweet a series of racially charged comments about his brother's case.

"I made a mistake," Robert Zimmerman Jr. said during an appearance on CNN's Piers Morgan Live. "It unfortunately may not have helped George."

George Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder for killing Martin, who was 17, after an altercation in a residential neighborhood in Sanford, Florida.

Prosecutors contend George Zimmerman, then a neighborhood watch captain, racially profiled Martin, then pursued and shot him while Martin was returning from a convenience store to a townhouse where he was staying with his father.

Robert Zimmerman this week posted side-by-side photos of Martin and one of two teenagers arrested last week in a fatal shooting of a 13-month-old boy as his mother was pushing his stroller down the street in a coastal Georgia town.

The separate photos showed Martin and the teenager posing while making an obscene gesture.

Robert Zimmerman wrote in a tweet, "a picture is worth a thousand words ... any questions?" In another tweet, he said, "Lib media shld ask if what these2 black teens did 2 a woman&baby is the reason ppl think blacks mightB risky."

Morgan, in his interview with Zimmerman, called the tweets "incendiary" and "bordering on outright racism."

"I understand this was controversial and I apologize," Robert Zimmerman said.

Mark O'Mara, George Zimmerman's lawyer, has criticized Robert Zimmerman's tweets.

George Zimmerman's trial is set to start in June.

by Anonymousreply 3203/29/2013

[quote]"I made a mistake," Robert Zimmerman Jr. said during an appearance on CNN's Piers Morgan Live. "It unfortunately may not have helped George."

Boy, he sure got that right, at least.

by Anonymousreply 203/28/2013

Let the sick fuck hang himself with his own words. It's not going to be so hard for him.

[quote]Robert Zimmerman wrote in a tweet, "a picture is worth a thousand words ... any questions?" In another tweet, he said, "Lib media shld ask if what these2 black teens did 2 a woman&baby is the reason ppl think blacks mightB risky."

I just hope he never moves to LA where the resident racist Dl'ers reside and complain about Mexicans. Or, maybe, I do so Mr. Robert Zimmerman might be caught in racist cross hairs.

by Anonymousreply 303/28/2013

*do so hope

by Anonymousreply 403/28/2013

R1, I am the most sober, uptight, law-abiding citizen you can imagine, yet I'm sure that at some point in my life I've stood next to someone who has committed a crime.

That does NOT give you the right to shoot me on sight, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 503/28/2013

What gets me is that their mom is Latina.

by Anonymousreply 603/28/2013

The whole family are a bunch of retards.

by Anonymousreply 703/28/2013

All the people I've long suspected of being racists are pushing the story of this kid shooting the baby in the face. Usually it's accompanied by "Obama doesn't care because that's not what HIS son would look like" still pissed at O's initial comments on Trayvon's murder.

It's funny b/c this brother was on Bill Maher and for half a second I started to feel sorry for George. Turns out it was all an act.

by Anonymousreply 803/28/2013

Some people simply don't understand the value of shutting the hell up. The entire Florida criminal justice system has been doing everything in its power to help Zimmerman beat the rap, but George and his family aren't making it easy for them.

by Anonymousreply 903/28/2013

Could the tweet be presented as evidence that Zimmerman grew up in a racist household and was inclined to target Trayvon Martin regardless of the kid's behavior? I recall that at least one other person who knew the family accused them of racism and GZ of trying fondle her or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 1003/28/2013

Isn't this the second time the dumb brother has opened his stupid yap? IIRC he was partly on Maher to apologize for something dumb he said/did. Put the case off for awhile and the brother will build the Prosecution's case for them.

by Anonymousreply 1103/28/2013

I used to think Robert Zimmerman seemed intelligent, but the way he invokes "the liberal media" proves the whole family is trash.

by Anonymousreply 1203/28/2013

[quote]What gets me is that their mom is Latina.

Exactly. It blows me away when people who have prejudices against them try to have prejudices against another group of people.

by Anonymousreply 1303/28/2013

A U. S. Navy destroyer stops four Mexicans in a row boat rowing towards California.

The Captain gets on the loud- hailer and shouts, "Ahoy, small craft. Where are you headed?"

One of the Mexicans puts down his oar, stands up, and shouts, "We are invading the United States of America to reclaim the territory taken by the USA during the 1800's."

The entire crew of the destroyer doubled-over in laughter. When the Captain is finally able to catch his breath, he gets back on the loud-hailer and asks, "Just the four of you?"

The same Mexican stands up again and shouts, "No, we're the last four. The rest are already there!"

by Anonymousreply 1403/28/2013

r13 Isn't that how it always is? Didn't Spike Lee get rich from portraying this? Well, I may be a Jew but at least I'm not Mexican..Well, I may be Mexican but at least I'm not black..and on..

by Anonymousreply 1503/28/2013

Latinos and blacks don't like one another. Nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 1603/28/2013

[quote]Latinos and blacks don't like one another. Nothing new.

I think Latinos like to start trouble with blacks more often than the other way around; this disgusting family being a good example of that.

by Anonymousreply 1703/28/2013

I don't think the prosecution can enter Robert Z's comments as evidence unless the defense puts him on the stand and they "open the door" somehow to allow questions from the prosecution about it.

by Anonymousreply 1803/29/2013

The brother is a racist, just like Georgie boy.

by Anonymousreply 1903/29/2013

[quote]Racists, like Zimmermans' brother, are not always wrong.

Serial killers are not always wrong either.

Zimmerman's brother is a well-spoken, handsome, fucking asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2203/29/2013

R20, that's funny, everything you said about the blacks is what we Whites say about hispanics like you.

by Anonymousreply 2303/29/2013

The brother id gay, you do know that right?

by Anonymousreply 2403/29/2013

Zimmerman first came off as seemingly reasonable guy who almost made me think twice about his brother.

Then his revolting treat.

The thing about assholes is they never know when to shut up. Sooner or later a 47% comment or a patently racist tweat will emerge.

by Anonymousreply 2503/29/2013

Thinking the same thing, R10.

by Anonymousreply 2603/29/2013

George Zimmerman’s Brother’s Bizarre Interview

Robert Zimmerman, Jr., the brother of Trayvon Martin’s killer George Zimmerman, tries to compare the Trayvon Martin to a teen who allegedly shot a baby in the face. Originally making this inane comparison through a tweet, he then gets on CNN’s Piers Morgan show to defend the stance.

As Piers Morgan questions the rationale, Zimmerman dismisses the debate happening on Twitter, claiming he and his family have a better “recollection” about the case than anyone could have debating it in 140 characters, at which point Pakman paused the interview to counter that if Zimmerman thinks Twitter isn’t the place, why did HE start the debate on Twitter?

Of course, as the CNN interview continues, Zimmerman deflects from this point to trying to portray Martin as something more threatening than a “teenage kid”… to which Morgan comes back with the assertion that he was a 17-year-old out getting Skittles. Which inspires Zimmerman to retort, “Now we’re back to the Skittles from the store…”

by Anonymousreply 2703/29/2013

[quote]“Now we’re back to the Skittles from the store…”

Because that's what it all boils down to. Duh. I suppose he could talk about the threatening hoodie Martin was wearing.

by Anonymousreply 2803/29/2013

Its so disappointing that Robert turned out to be an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2903/29/2013

[quote] “Now we’re back to the Skittles from the store…”

Yes, asshole. We are now back to the FACTS of the case, not your scared, delusional, racist crack-pottery.

by Anonymousreply 3003/29/2013

R31 Because white people wont accept them as white.

by Anonymousreply 3203/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!