Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Carson Kressley wants 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' return

Carson Kressley wants 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' return

Published Mar 27 2013, 2:56pm EDT | Justin Harp

Carson Kressley has expressed hopes that Queer Eye for the Straight Guy will return in honor of its 10th anniversary.

The stylist told Page Six that he is hoping to reunite with Ted Allen, Kyan Douglas, Thom Filicia and Jai Rodriguez, even if it's just for a private celebration.

"I've talked to the guys, and we're all game to do it," Kressley commented. "We're just trying to figure out the venue, of when and where."

Kressley also joked that the Queer Eye guys would love to get into celebrity makeovers and even have a first subject in mind.

"[We could do] Ben Affleck," he said, adding humorously: "Not that he needs it. But I think he needs a shave after Argo, and I could totally go swimsuit shopping with him."

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy helped improve the style of men for five seasons between 2003 and 2007.

Kressley later went on to compete on Dancing with the Stars in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 3103/28/2013

I'm sure Shelley Long wants Cheers to return.

And the cast of Becker would like to see that show return, too.

by Anonymousreply 103/28/2013

At this point they should be pushing Queer Eye for the Old Guy.

by Anonymousreply 203/28/2013

No...just no.

by Anonymousreply 303/28/2013

Thanks but we're good.

by Anonymousreply 403/28/2013

It was a cute show for 5 minutes, but played out quickly. Most of the guys have moved on to other things, Thom and Ted seem to be quite busy and I think Carson has regular gigs. Jai has done some TV but I don't think his star is going to rise. Poor Kyan Pepper just dropped out of the spotlight, fighting his own demons.

by Anonymousreply 503/28/2013

I liked it. One of the only reality shows I watched. Say what you will but they were some of the only gay people that many people were actually exposed to on television.

by Anonymousreply 603/28/2013

[quote]It was a cute show for 5 minutes, but played out quickly.

Yeah, after one season, it got really irritating and once you'd seen one episode, you'd seen them all.

by Anonymousreply 703/28/2013

[quote]Say what you will but they were some of the only gay people that many people were actually exposed to on television.

All mincing prisspots. Thanks but no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 803/28/2013

they weren't all mincing and believe what you want to believe but most gay men are far more mincing than they want to believe they are. It's like anorexics thinking that they are fat.

by Anonymousreply 903/28/2013

Can I get "The Drew Carey Show" going again? I'm tired of dodging over-excited Flyovers. And I don't give a fuck whether you have your pets spayed or neutered.

by Anonymousreply 1003/28/2013

I've been a little bored lately...

by Anonymousreply 1103/28/2013

How's about a One Day At A Time 25th anniversary special?

by Anonymousreply 1203/28/2013

Considering the fact that you are dead, Bonnie, we can have Sandy Duncan play your role.

by Anonymousreply 1303/28/2013

At the rate that Fratpad and Corbin Fisher are converting them, there won't be any straight guys left to fix up.

by Anonymousreply 1403/28/2013

[quote] Queer Eye for the Straight Guy helped improve the style of men for five seasons between 2003 and 2007.

Are you sure it was five seasons and not five episodes? Whenever I tuned in, it seemed to be the same few episodes running in perpetuity.

by Anonymousreply 1503/28/2013

The one that needs to return is that Boy Meets Boy show.

But could they fool James again?

by Anonymousreply 1603/28/2013

What are Kyan's demons?

by Anonymousreply 1703/28/2013

I'm available!!!

by Anonymousreply 1803/28/2013

Re: Kyan's demons:

Most of the other guys already had careers when they were chosen for QE4TSG: even Jai (who was the youngest) was getting dramatic work. But Kyan was just a hairdresser. I think they added him because they needed someone other than tiny little Jai who was very goodlooking. (The other three are attractive in certain ways, perhaps, but Ted is nerdy and Thom is on the heavier side and Carson is so strange looking--but they all were genuine experts in their fields.) Kyan was good looking (compared to everyone except Jai), but he was the bitchiest and the least kind among them--he'd always bitch loudly about having to clean the straight guys' bathtubs or kitchens. It worked at first on the show because the others were so sweet it was nice to get a little edge in, at first, but then it became a bit too much and he seemed annoying. He also did not have the expertise the other big three had (though he had more to say than Jai, who always seemed like he was on the wrong show but didn't realize it).

Kyan also dealt with the fame the worst of the five--on red carpets he would loudly snap at people if anyone walked onto it by mistake when they were on them. I think it was because he realized he had the least to fall back on when the show ended.

When the show ended, he faded into complete obscurity almost immediately, though he tried to stay in the public eye with a book. But he had nothing to say.

by Anonymousreply 1903/28/2013

R16, this is BULLSHIT!

by Anonymousreply 2003/28/2013

Nice long post, r19. But for someone who criticizes aimless writing, you didn't answer the question r17 asked, or address the demons as promised in your title. It is my understanding that the term "demons" usually refers to some sort of destructive temptation or addiction - am I being narrow-minded?

by Anonymousreply 2103/28/2013

Carson asked Andy Cohen about a reunion when he was on Watch What Happens a couple weeks ago. Andy didn't say yes or no.

I became a late fan of the show in 2007 when there were only a few episodes left. I did see many reruns of previous episodes. It was fun. I disagree with other posters that say the quality declined. No, it didn't. Many gay people can't look at a show unless it has heterosexual females, attractive buff men or drag queens.

Carson made the biggest mistake of his career when he left his hit Lifetime makeover show to do a show on OWN. He also left behind hosting the Miss America reality show. OWN put his show on in August (when nobody watches TV) 2011. The show was dead on arrival. He never made another appearance on OWN.

Kai is on ABC's Malibu Country. Ted hosts Chopped on Food Network. I never would have guessed he have the career he has.

by Anonymousreply 2203/28/2013

I really enjoyed the episode with John Zimmerman IV the American professional pair skater.

by Anonymousreply 2303/28/2013

r17 - drugs and sex. The usual. Too much clubbing. Mental problems. He developed a prescription pill addiction after being prescribed some kind of meds after two of his co-workers were murdered. Took place at a pizza restaurant in NOLO where he worked and he had to ID the bodies. Got clean of that but fell into illegal drugs later on. He broke up his engagement by fucking around and later insisting on an open relationship, agreed to adopt a kid with his fiance then flaked out at the last minute, got back together, then split for good. Lot of childhood issues. His fiance got together with one of his best friends right after they broke up and they wound up having a baby together by surrogate.

by Anonymousreply 2403/28/2013

Oh, and fame went to his head big time. He thought he was going to become a famous actor off the back of Queer Eye and was real diva ish about it.

by Anonymousreply 2503/28/2013

[quote]Kai is on ABC's Malibu Country.

Who's Kai? I don't remember anyone named Kai on the show.

by Anonymousreply 2603/28/2013

R23 That was the jump the shark moment for the show. I stopped regularly watching the show after that episode. The hot figure skater was so far from needing a makeover it was kind of pointless compared to the shlubs that they were usually tasked with doing over. I do have fond memories of the show though. The Wed night Bravo lineup back in 2004 was really revolutionary. Before that time, it was unheard of to have one, but 2 gay-related programs back to back. Between Queer Eye and Boy Meets Boy that made for really great tv for gay viewers who were a demographic that tv virtually ignored prior to that time and it went a long way to putting gay people on the radar screen for middle America.

by Anonymousreply 2703/28/2013

R26 I meant Jai.

by Anonymousreply 2803/28/2013

So I guess there aren't any recent photos of Kyan?

by Anonymousreply 2903/28/2013

[quote]But for someone who criticizes aimless writing, you didn't answer the question [R17] asked, or address the demons as promised in your title.

No he did. Read it again.

[quote]It is my understanding that the term "demons" usually refers to some sort of destructive temptation or addiction

Your understanding is wrong. It does not necessarily refer to those things.

[quote]am I being narrow-minded?

I don't know; but your understanding of the term is inaccurate.

by Anonymousreply 3003/28/2013

Easily the most depressing part of this post is that the show was on TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO. It seems like yesterday!! Ugh...

by Anonymousreply 3103/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.