Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Odd Girl Out by Ann Bannon

I've heard about this book for years. Has anyone here read it? Do lesbians still read this stuff? I looked her up, and Ann Bannon (bless her) is still with us.

by Anonymousreply 703/29/2013

Ooh, there's a Kindle version!

by Anonymousreply 103/27/2013

Years and years ago, this book was one of the few lesbian stories available to read. Sold as pulp fiction it actually had some real elements of lesbian life in it.

New York women, their bars and love affairs.

I found the pulp books in the early ’70s as a teenager in the Midwest and was glad to have it.

The world has changed a lot...

It used to be "the love that dare not speak its name".

Now it's a pregnant lesbian newscaster.

by Anonymousreply 203/28/2013

and that's progress.

by Anonymousreply 303/28/2013

I find the photos and videos of women dancing amusing. I don't know how much of it was lesbo, but it definitely belongs to more "innocent" time.

by Anonymousreply 403/28/2013

"Ann Bannon" is a sharp cookie, still alive I think.

Terry Gross interviewed her a couple years ago.

by Anonymousreply 503/28/2013

Were older lesbians generally perceived as predatory at the time these pulp novels were written?

by Anonymousreply 603/28/2013

At the time I think lesbians in general were all considered butch and predatory if they were thought of at all.

But you've got to understand, male and female gayness was not thought about or spoken about...so two female school teachers could buy a house together and live together just because they were "saving money".

People just didn't see it. It was hidden. Growing up in the 60's, I had to search the library for anything about gayness. I would find clues in the titles,looking for words like "odd girl" and "lavender". It took me to histories of Gertrude Stein and the Bloomsbury Group, Kinsey and Genet.

A puzzling way to piece together an identity.

by Anonymousreply 703/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.