Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you find as you age (past 35) that you listen to music much less?

When I was younger I noticed how rrely most adults listened to music, and I never understood why that was since I got so much pleasure out of music. But as I get older I need to listen to it much less often.

I know this is not true for everyone, but it's sure true for most people I know.

by 45 nowreply 8805/09/2013

I'm 20 and I hardly ever listen to music. Too busy to care.

by 45 nowreply 103/27/2013

Used to love music when I was younger, now only listen to talk radio stations and find pop music an irritating interruption. It's so juvenile most of the time.

by 45 nowreply 203/27/2013

I knew I was "past it" musically speaking when I stopped recognizing the names of the artists or their hit songs.

You see, I read ADWEEK Magazine in the '80s and '90s because I was in corporate advertising in those years.

ADWEEK used to have a list of hit movies and hot songs on the back pages. I have no idea is they still do or even if ADWEEK is still around.

ADWEEK could be regarded as the localized, fun version of the ad news that AD AGE presented each week. AD AGE was NYC-centric in those days.

Anyway, slowly but surely I stopped watching MTV as it evolved away from airing music videos and concomitantly stopped recognizing the songs and artists on the ADWEEK weekly lists.

I was about 42-44 when this happened.

by 45 nowreply 303/27/2013

They didn't have youtube.

Any other stupid questions, and I'll be here all week.

by 45 nowreply 403/27/2013

I've always been interested in music, and I'm well past 35 now. I was interested in the teenage music from when I was a teen, then a young adult, and then classical.

I buy the occasional bit of popular music (Justin Timberlake, fun.) but mostly now I listen to a combination of classical and all the music I collected up to the point when classical eclipsed it.

Mostly I stream music on iTunes shuffle now, from my computer to elsewhere in the house. If anything, I listen more because of how easy it is now to access music.

by 45 nowreply 503/27/2013

I'll listen to anything from any genre if it grabs me. I need music as much now as I did when I was younger.

by 45 nowreply 603/27/2013

I listen as much as I ever did, just not to pop. It's ridiculous.

The digital age still amazes me. I listen to music that's going on 100 years old, music that's playing on the other side of the world, music from diverse genres and artists...there is plenty of good stuff out there.

It's just not on the radio anymore.

by 45 nowreply 703/27/2013

[quote]It's just not on the radio anymore.

I haven't listened to radio since 1981.

by 45 nowreply 803/27/2013

You become far more interested in learning about the stock and bond markets to be concerned about music, which seems more and more to have been a juvenile pursuit.

by 45 nowreply 903/27/2013

Oh, my. I fail to understand how music can't be incorporated into something as essential to you as learning about the stock and bond markets.

I never needed to give up music as I developed other interests. I've never heard of such a thing, frankly. You must not have cared about it very much from the start.

by 45 nowreply 1003/28/2013

In my 20s I worked in a record store, then as a DJ in a gay bar & a gay club. Music was a very important part of my life. But when I hit my mid-40s I became much less interested in music. Now, at 51, I find that nearly all music falls into one of two categories...either it bores me to tears or it irritates the hell out of me. It's kind of sad actually.

by 45 nowreply 1103/28/2013

This is about getting older (without actually using the word [italic]old[/italic]).

I find that the music I listen to is what I was comfortable with as I was growing up -- and some from my early-20s.

I'm 41. I listen to very little from recent years. It takes a curiosity for me to get into anything relatively new or recent -- like Adele.

When the Grammys come around, annually, I just have it on for background noise. When the 2010 Record of the Year Grammy went to Lady Antebellum whose recording goes, "It's a quarter after..." I thought: This sounds like it could have been from the 1980s. Must have been the most comfy sound, out of all the nominees, when the oldest voting bloc made their selection.

by 45 nowreply 1203/28/2013

No. I'm 46, and I don't listen to music less often.....but I find myself listening to my own CDs less and less often. I've got 500 of them. Yet sometimes, I don't want to listen to ANY of them -- preferring the variety of radio, or satellite music stations that play specific genres -- 70s classic rock, 80's new wave, classic r&b/Motown....

by 45 nowreply 1303/28/2013

I continue listening to music from the '60s, '70s and '80s. I still love listening to these songs, but with an even greater appreciation because I realize great songs like these are rarely written today.

by 45 nowreply 1403/28/2013

I'm with R7. I'm as interested in new, interesting music as ever and i'm mid-30s. You need to be an active listener, and treat it as a real hobby and not something you passively wait for.

Music made this year still excites me, but it's not popular.

by 45 nowreply 1503/28/2013

I'm suburban; I listen to more radio while commuting than ever before. Clear Channel spits out the same content over four or five stations, but there are a few 'alternative' spots and one good R&B station.

The music offers a break from redundant PRI or Chicago Progressive Talk. I've already read news content without the theatrics; I don't need talking heads translating for me.

The music is better than my iPod days of city commutes; I'm getting wider content than my playlists.

by 45 nowreply 1603/28/2013

younger than that....suddenly at 22 I lost interest in music

by 45 nowreply 1703/28/2013

I recently discovered Pandora. It's replaced radio and CDs for me. I use there free service.

by 45 nowreply 1803/28/2013

Weird...I was just thinking about this today! I remember being a teenager and thinking, "When I'm old I'm gonna be COOL! I'm gonna keep up with all the new music on the radio!" Well here I am, in my 30's, and I couldn't give a FUCK less. I'm happy listening to 80's music until I die.

by 45 nowreply 1903/28/2013

39. And yeah. We made several stations on Pandora we enjoy, but go through phases where we just want quiet. And in the car, I only listen to NPR. Some of the music played on NPR is good, some bad. But at least it's not boring pop or mainstream.

by 45 nowreply 2103/28/2013

I listen less, but really enjoy it when I do get the chance to listen. A lot of the music I listen to now comes from TV shows (there was a great song called "Draw the Stars" on The Good Wife recently) or commercials that I've seen like this one from a Subaru commercial.

by 45 nowreply 2203/28/2013

I listen on Spotify a lot. I mix things I've heard in the past with current music I don't yet know if I want to buy. Since the artists get paid even when I just listen to a song, and they have such a huge catalog, I'm happy with Spotify.

by 45 nowreply 2303/28/2013

Less important, yes, but not unimportant. And finding new (or new to me) music is critical; it's not just listening to music from some past prime.

When I was younger, I thought my musical taste said something about me, but attending concerts and looking around rooms filled with seemingly like-minded sorts dissuaded me of that notion. Two people can have similar, even similarly obscure musical tastes and have very little else in common.

by 45 nowreply 2403/28/2013

[quote]Two people can have similar, even similarly obscure musical tastes and have very little else in common.

Oh, how I wish I'd known this when I was 25. I threw years of my life away over someone whose musical tastes were creepily similar to my own, but with whom I had nothing else in common. Oh, music and sex, actually.

by 45 nowreply 2503/28/2013

I'm not past 35 but as I get older, I find myself listening to more love songs

by 45 nowreply 2603/28/2013

I lived in NYC for years and did not learn to drive until I was 50. Now I spend a lot of time driving since we are mostly at our vacation home and I blast loud rock music like my friends did when they were 17 year old suburban car drivers.

Right now I am sitting in an airport parking lot waiting for my friend's flight to come in and I'm playing Dreams by the Allman Brothers.

by 45 nowreply 2703/29/2013

almost 40 and I listen and download daily.

by 45 nowreply 2803/29/2013

R20 sounds old. And fat.

by 45 nowreply 2903/29/2013

Absolutely! Slowed down listening by 40 and now at 60 I never listen to music. The last songs I memorized and sang to are songs of the 1980s. Come to think of it I don't think I

by 45 nowreply 3003/29/2013

I'm 50 and I listen to music all the time and still go to rock and jazz concerts. I couldn't live without music.

by 45 nowreply 3103/29/2013

I'm pretty old, but I still listen to music. The biggest difference is that as I've aged my musical tastes have become more eclectic than when I was young.

I have a good friend who plays in an indie band. He keeps me supplied with lots of good new music.

by 45 nowreply 3203/29/2013

I'm with r23. Since I started using Spotify, I'm listening to more music. Lots of good *new* stuff out there. Glad I stopped listening to radio.

by 45 nowreply 3303/31/2013

[quote]You need to be an active listener, and treat it as a real hobby and not something you passively wait for.

Why shouldn't other things form a bigger part of our lives? Cooking, sports, exercise, movies, reading... why should we do what interests [italic]you?[/italic] Why should your interests be the yardstick of our lives?

by 45 nowreply 3403/31/2013

I actually listen to much more music. I have Sirius and have expanded the type of music.

by 45 nowreply 3503/31/2013

Used to be really into "alternative" type music. Tried listening to alternative-ish roots indie stuff. Now I listen to certain kinds of jazz that sounds kind of poetic (like Bill Evans) and classical radio stations. I might listen to some pop when I am on the road, on the radio (oldies).

by 45 nowreply 3603/31/2013

I would probably still listen to the radio if they hadn't digitalized the sound. There is just something that is so cold and grating to that sound. No warmth in the sound at all. Not every song is like that but enough that I don't want to listen.

by 45 nowreply 3703/31/2013

I'm 42, and for years, I found myself listening to less music than I did when younger. I realized that it was because of the group of people I hung out with. For them, it was all techno all the time.

Since I quit associating with them, I've found myself listening to more music, but less new music. I find that my taste now leans more toward folk/accoustic music.

by 45 nowreply 3803/31/2013

I agree that the digital age has made more diverse music available to more people than ever. For those of us who are older, we can listen to Pandora, Grooveshark, and Spotify and find new things. For younger people, the entire catalogue of "oldies" and classics is instantly available.

I hope to never stop listening to new music.

by 45 nowreply 3903/31/2013

Most of it is gooey love songs, the kind you have to believe to be a success in life (go to college, have a career, get married, etc.). After a certain age you get cynical and roll your eyes at most of it.

by 45 nowreply 4003/31/2013

It's funny that you started this thread OP because I was just thinking about how it seems like since I turned 30 last year that I'm not as interested in music as I used to be. It used to be that I LOVED music and could listen to it for hours and hours and not get bored. But for some reason, I haven't been as interested in it lately. And it has nothing to do with music being shitty today because the music I've always listened to has mainly been non Top 40 stuff anyway. I still always listen to it in the car though.

by 45 nowreply 4103/31/2013

No - I'd say actually I listen more and mainly for the reasons others have already stated - more variety and free music is available over the inter webs.

I have several Pandora stations that range from Blues to techno to disco. If Pandora isn't on then it's Soma FM (on the Roku) or the oldies station on the radio.

At work it's totally classical since it helps me stay calm and think.

by 45 nowreply 4203/31/2013

For a year, when I was either 8 or 9, I couldn't stand to listen to any music. Everything just sounded like noise to me. And then I loved music and was heavily involved in various scenes until I had a series of traumatic incidents in my late twenties and now I can't listen to much music because it makes me feel too much and I'll fall apart if I feel anything.

My dad will be 70 this year and he listens to music 24/7 and is always discovering new artists and has a Spotify account, etc.

My mother who will be 73 in May hasn't intentionally listened to music since she broke up with a boyfriend when I was about 10. He made her a lot of mixed tapes. Her current boyfriend plays cds im his "area" of the house and she'll sometimes listen by accident if she's cooking on the same floor and sometimes they wind up going dancing at blues clubs when they go on vacation or to conferences.

I'd like to be able to listen to music again. I used to play an instrument, too.

by 45 nowreply 4303/31/2013

Popular music used to be so good and so prevalent that you always wanted to listen to it. There were some fantastic radio stations I used to listen to. Then automation and talk radio took over and it all went to shit.

by 45 nowreply 4403/31/2013

by 45 nowreply 4505/06/2013

I listen to music but not pop music like I did when I was younger... mostly because Justin Bieber and Lady Caca suck.

by 45 nowreply 4605/06/2013

I remember when I was in my teens and twenties I thought I would always be really into music. I couldn't figure out why people quit listening to it, but I wasn't going to be like that.

In my 40's I not only realized I had quit smoking pot, but that I had also quit listening much to music.

Now, I have Meniere's (an inner ear disorder) and everything sounds distorted so I really prefer not to have music on.

I really don't know what happened that made me lose interest in music.

Thanks for the post, OP.

by 45 nowreply 4705/06/2013

Yes! For me, this is true.

by 45 nowreply 4805/06/2013

Not me. I listen as much as ever. I've been playing different versions of "My Object All Sublime." I'm rereading "Marjorie Morningstar" for, like, the fifth time.

by 45 nowreply 4905/06/2013

I'm turning 40 this month and music brings me as much joy as ever. There's always a package from Sounds Of The Universe or Juno coming in the mail and I'm at about 1000 cds. I rip them to .wav files in iTunes and my life is soundtracked by an endless, ever-growing playlist. With the range of new music around, as well as the sometimes astoundingly good reissue labels digging up lost treasures from the past, it's a golden time to be a music lover. I still smoke a fair bit of weed too, and I suspect that plays a part in my ongoing obsession with music. This week I received Orchestre Poly-Rythmo on Analog Africa, new Secret Circuit album on Beats In Space, and a reissue of Phantom Band, some rhythmic krautrock from early 1980s.

by 45 nowreply 5005/06/2013

I have around 900 CDs, R50. I have most, maybe all, of them on iTunes. I don't know if they're .wav files. They're Apple Lossless, though.

My iTunes total is 13,000+ "songs" (incl. lots of classical movements) which equal 43.6 days worth of music. I listen to more music more of the time than I ever have.

by 45 nowreply 5105/06/2013

Music lover who leaned on friends with good taste to tell me what I should try. So hard to find new artists you'll like, at any age. At 40, I find Pandora comes up with a few that I need to check. Janelle Monae's new album should be great, but I've loved her for years. Janelle and Erikah Badu. Heaven sent to me. I've loved Erikah since I heard a demo in a restaurant on Avenue A, close to 20 (GASP) years ago. I can't believe I just typed that.

by 45 nowreply 5205/06/2013

Music is usually looping in my head. I don't play music very often, because I can replay it in my mind from memory.

by 45 nowreply 5305/06/2013

I still like listening to music but I have to cruise the internet to find stuff I like.

I realized that thanks to Clear Channel and Sony Music and that ilk most pop music is vapid, tasteless trash.

I don't really think it's due to my age I think it's just the industry has changed from really talented musicians and groups to pop products for these labels to make money off of.

I like going to concerts. I listen to talk radio when I listen to the radio. And the internet for everything else.

by 45 nowreply 5405/06/2013

Music? Ain't nobody got time for that!

by 45 nowreply 5505/06/2013

I was really into music from about 14 until I was around 22, then I got busy with other things. Now at 45, I've gotten back into music but my tastes have really evolved. I actually enjoy blues, country, honky tonk along with the pop music from the 70's to current music.

by 45 nowreply 5605/06/2013

Yes. I stopped closer to 30. Who has the time, plus my tastes seem to have calcified.

by 45 nowreply 5705/06/2013

What is so time-consuming about listening to music? I do it while I do other things, like being online.

by 45 nowreply 5805/06/2013

I didn't -- but around 2005 my ex and I discovered Pandora and had it playing around the house all the time. We discovered lots of new music we liked... hard to remember how magical Pandora was when it first started.

Today I listen mostly to Slacker (and pay $4/month for commercial free, which is the bargain of all time). I have about a dozen stations I've programmed, and then a few preprogrammed ones I like (Adult Alternative and Indie Hits are great).

Lately I've also been listening to a new service called Raditaz.

The breakthrough was getting a car with an auxiliary jack -- I plug it into my phone, start Slacker and it's radio with better sound than you get from either CDs or over the air.

Had Internet radio not become more mainstream I would definitely be listening to music much less than I did in my 20s.

by 45 nowreply 5905/06/2013

One more thing: I like Raditaz because there's no listening limit and it's commercial free -- but it also has something incredibly fun: music by year. You can click "1953" or "1978" or whatever and get a wide selection of what was popular that year. (They also have "decades" -- but something like "1980s rock" isn't nearly as fun as finding all the hits and non-hits of, say, 1963.)

by 45 nowreply 6005/06/2013

I'm 29. I have cut back a lot on music since I got a real job. If I had all the free time I used to have, I'd probably still know all the newest bands and coolest parties.

by 45 nowreply 6105/06/2013

Thanks, R59 going to check it out now.

by 45 nowreply 6205/06/2013

I'm 40, and I actually listen to more now, at least when alone (home, work, car).

Obviously, I listen to less music "out" as my club days are over, but music is still a big part of my life.

by 45 nowreply 6305/06/2013

I turned 50 last year and I could not function without music, especially at work.

I started listening to college radio - WRAS Atlanta - about 1982 and love hearing different stuff all the time. Nights and weekends have special shows where you can learn about different genres. Saturdays are best.

At work its Spotify and Pandora.

I don't know how people can listen to pop. It burns your ears and turns you into a brain dad zombie.

by 45 nowreply 6405/07/2013

I hate going to the hair salon and the drs office because I know I'm going to have to hear Call Me Maybe at least once in each place.

by 45 nowreply 6505/07/2013

I'm in my 50s and listen to new music all the time. Haven't liked pop (i.e. top 40) since I was a teenager, and have always preferred alternative, punk, classical, old country, old/traditional folk, electronica/chill, jazz, hip hop.

I've never understood why so many people revert back to their teenaged or college music tastes once they reach their 40s, and then just stay there. Anyone who claims that no good music is being made these days just isn't looking very hard. That's something you'd expect an 80-year-old to say.

by 45 nowreply 6605/09/2013

Yep. Not just past the age of 35, but as far back as like age 27. The peak was teens till like 24, after that I started following things like the charts less.

It is pretty sad but I think after a certain age you become like your parents and are like "what's this shit, it's all noise" to new music.

That said, I think after the age of 35 I've started listening to more music for a while since I've started listening to the radio again. I prefer the TV for background noise and silence is definitely golden.

Nonetheless I like the new trashy pop princess shit like the Taylors, the RiRis, the Ke$has and the Carly Raes. Good for cardio. :)

by 45 nowreply 6705/09/2013

I listened to some science show on npr about this. it's a common phenomena and has to do with your aging brain.

by 45 nowreply 6805/09/2013

I'm 32. I still listen to music, but most of the music that I love the most is the music that was produced during my childhood and my teenage years. I'm not fond of the music today to be honest.

I can't stand Nicki Minaj, Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, Chris Brown, Kesha, Lady Gaga or Katy Perry. That music doesn't appeal to me at all.

However, I love NSYNC, Boys 2 Men, The Backstreet Boys, The New Kids on the Block, Hanson, Janet Jackson, Brandy, Monica, The Go-Go's, Salt n Pepa, TLC, and TUPAC.

I guess that comes with getting older. My taste is movies is from my youth also. I love movies and television shows from the 1980's and 1990's the most. I love Dawson's Creek, My So Called Life, and Freaks and Geeks. I also love movies like Scream, Clueless, 10 Things I Hate About You, American Pie, and Romeo and Juliet.

by 45 nowreply 6905/09/2013

R68 Do you know anything else about what you read, or who was being reviewed? I wonder if I could take what you say as a sign that my brain *isn't* aging as badly as it might be.

by 45 nowreply 7005/09/2013

The type of music I listen to has changed. My taste in music is more mature, or at least diverse. I enjoy Classical,Medieval, ethnic and Jazz more than before.I almost never listen to top 40. I also will listen to the mature singers of my parents youth, such as Sinatra. When I was young, it was all top 40. I can't relate to it today, not at all. It all seems the product of PR campaigns, advertising and schlock. It appeals to a very young demographic.

by 45 nowreply 7105/09/2013

I listen to music all the time, but lots of it is old 70's and 80's pop stuff that I remember from when I was younger - or if more current, it's stuff like Pink or Mariah Carey - I also enjoy discovering new kinds of music - Ravi Shankar, sitar, North African rae, classical, just about every kind of style, except country (YUCK).

by 45 nowreply 7205/09/2013

The type of music I listen to has changed. I think as a very young person one enjoys the high energy and physical excitement of popular music. At least it was that way for me in the 60's and 70's. I loved Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin etc. Now I can take about 10 minutes and I start to get nervous and irritated. That sort of thing really works best for 18 year olds. I gravitate to stuff like kd Lang now & Allison Krause now.

by 45 nowreply 7305/09/2013

Wow - glad I am not the only one who lost interest in music. Over the past few years, the only think I still actively listen to is the news, and NPR programs. It used to worry me a bit in my twenties that I was losing touch with the music scene, but over the years I feel that its a natural part of growing up. The news, and many NPR programs engage my whole attention, while music causes my mind to wander. I do enjoy having music on when I am feeling creative, and starting off a new painting or project, however, as the project progresses, I find that having NPR in the background actually provides better results.

Funnily enough, in the early days of music sharing, I downloaded every song I could think of, to the tune of nearly 700 GB of music. All that music is just sitting there on a spare harddrive, and I like knowing its there in storage, to be pulled out song by song whenever I find myself recalling some particular lyric or time of my life. I am 51

by 45 nowreply 7405/09/2013

Music is to dance to; since I dance less, I listen to music less.

by 45 nowreply 7505/09/2013

At 46, I don't notice a difference, but as someone who sang in choirs from age 4 til the end of college, I never much listened to music. I like popular music, but I notice the only time I really even have music on is in the car, and if NPR isn't bending over to let some Republican nobody congressman buttfuck the "liberal mouthpiece"(which is hourly now), I usually have that on.

by 45 nowreply 7605/09/2013

I love to dance around the house while doing chores, listen to it at the gym while working out, sing along in the car. What I have found diminishing as I grow older is having deja vu.

by 45 nowreply 7705/09/2013

The opposite is true for me. I've always had an insatiable appetite for music, but the older I get the more I want to explore. So much music out there, so little time to take it all in. At 37yo, I still go to at least a couple of concerts a month, usually new bands in small venues. I pay for Spotify so I can have a seemingly endless choices available on my computer, phone, iPod. New and new-to-me music always at my fingertips.

by 45 nowreply 7805/09/2013

[quote]I've never understood why so many people revert back to their teenaged or college music tastes once they reach their 40s, and then just stay there. Anyone who claims that no good music is being made these days just isn't looking very hard. That's something you'd expect an 80-year-old to say.

Exactly! I really do hope I don't get to the point where my musical tastes just stagnate.

by 45 nowreply 7905/09/2013

At what age should you stop dancing to rock in public? at what age does dancing look bizarre?

by 45 nowreply 8005/09/2013

I am 48 and music has been a huge part of my life since childhood. I have never cared for Top 40 and my taste in my youth gravitated toward Hard Rock/Metal/Punk/New Wave. In my twenties I added Industrial and Grunge to the mix. I stay current and listen to a shitload of modern groups. I love Tool (the band and the object), Opeth, Rammstein, Porcupine Tree, Clutch, Dream Theater, Mastodon, Lacuna Coil, The Black Keys, Deftones, Jack White, Muse.

I still love all of my old Led Zep, Hendrix, Sabbath, AC/DC, Queen, Devo, Blondie, Priest, New Order, Bowie, U2, Soundgarden, etc., as well. I try to keep musically relevant. I would be bored just listening to the music of my youth. I often hear people lament about today's music and how awful it is. It's truly awful if the only modern music you know is Bieber, Timberlake, Nickelback, etc. Top 40 sucks and always has.

Great music is still out there. You have to look a little hard now than you used to, but there is some very rewarding material out there.

by 45 nowreply 8105/09/2013

Mid-forties here. I was really into music around the late '90's- early 2000's. Alanis Morissette, No Doubt, Missy Elliot, the boy bands, white metal rap (Limp Bizkit, etc.).

Not sure if it's age or shitty music.

by 45 nowreply 8205/09/2013

Same here. Going into my 40s and listen to talk shows. The fact that I've had tinnitus in one of my ears probably plays a role too, because I used to listen to my techno music really loud which is a big no-no by now.

by 45 nowreply 8305/09/2013

well over 40 and rarely listen to any music

by 45 nowreply 8405/09/2013

R81 here. Jeez, my keyboard sucks rotten bananas!

I meant to say: "You have to look a little HARDER now than you used to."

I'm stuck here at work, so maybe my mind is subconciously in the gutter.

by 45 nowreply 8505/09/2013

R1 is in his 50s. I promise you.

by 45 nowreply 8605/09/2013

[quote]No Doubt, Missy Elliot, the boy bands, white metal rap (Limp Bizkit, etc.).

Can't be age since you had shitty taste in your 30s too ;)

by 45 nowreply 8705/09/2013

I'm 25, and music is still a very important part of my life. It helps me through rough times. I don't think I would make it without.

by 45 nowreply 8805/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!