Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Please help me get into yoga

I'm 40, overweight, suffer from depression, and have joint pain. Everyone says to give yoga a try and my health problems will resolve. I'm can't afford classes or a gym membership so I need to find some yoga DVDs or YouTube videos to get me started. Any suggestions? Tell me everything you know. I'm ready to get started today.

by Anonymousreply 2801/10/2014

Brian Kest's power yoga is pretty good. I have fallen off of my routine, I've been running three miles every other day and could really use some yoga again.

Start out easy, and don't freak if you can't hold the positions. You will ache afterwards, and into the next day, but it's a good hurt. Yoga has amazing physical benefits.

by Anonymousreply 103/27/2013

If you could try and find the money to do at least 6 classes to get you going, I'd do it.

It's not a good idea to try it with no instruction at all.

by Anonymousreply 203/27/2013

Search youtube for "beginning yoga lesson" or "full-length" yoga lesson. Start easy, and pay attention to what they say about breathing.

Now, what kind of joint pain are we talking about? A bit of stiffness that needs to be stretched out, or are you planning a knee replacement? Because while yoga will indeed make certain aches and pains magically disappear (like my foot and back aches), it won't help everything and might make some things worse. Again, start easy.

by Anonymousreply 303/27/2013

If you do find one on YouTube, please post it here.

by Anonymousreply 403/27/2013

It may or may not help. BELIEVERS consider it a cure all, but you wont' lose an ounce until you eat less.

by Anonymousreply 503/28/2013

is hot yoga okay for beginners?

by Anonymousreply 603/28/2013

R6 hot yoga is not good for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 703/28/2013

Why? I know someone who's losing inches and pounds like crazy doing hot yoga and she's obese and out of shape (but much less so after 2 months of hot yoga)...

by Anonymousreply 803/28/2013

OP, not sure what you can/can't afford but my yoga studio charges about 12.00 for a drop-in class, so I'm sure there are others out there in the same price range. A lot of studios also allow you to pay what you can afford. Whether you start at a studio or on YouTube I hope you do it-it has helped me tremendously.

by Anonymousreply 903/28/2013

R8 I guarantee you she is eating less.

by Anonymousreply 1003/28/2013

But why is hot yoga worse than 'cold' yoga?

Wouldn't the heat help an older more out of shape body adjust?

by Anonymousreply 1103/28/2013

The heat makes you go further than you normally would, it causes a lot of injuries.

by Anonymousreply 1203/28/2013

Hot yoga is also a breeding ground for viruses and bacteria.

by Anonymousreply 1303/28/2013

Hot yoga can lead to dehydration--especially for beginners.

by Anonymousreply 1403/28/2013

And hot yoga...smells.

by Anonymousreply 1503/28/2013

If you're overweight and already have joint issues then basic, beginners Hatha yoga is for you. I haven't looked but I'm sure you can find something on YouTube or a cheap DVD somewhere.

Don't push yourself too hard and just do the poses as best you can until you get used to it. Then when you feel you're ready you can move on to more challenging types of yoga. Or not, it's up to you. You might want to just continue with the safe easy poses and that's OK. Yoga isn't supposed to be competitive.

by Anonymousreply 1603/28/2013

Good advice, r16.

by Anonymousreply 1703/28/2013

Some yoga studios charge very low fees at an introductory level for the first few classes. Yoga is all about alignment and you really should have someone work with you to make sure you are doing it properly and not hurting yourself.

OP - it sounds as if you really need to improve your diet. Are you avoiding wheat, dairy and nightshade vegetables? Those foods contribute to joint pain and weight gain. The supplement Sam-e can help as well. (It's avaialable in your local CVS or Walgreens. Get the generic. It's fine.)

Good luck and keep at it.

by Anonymousreply 1803/28/2013

Also check your library for videos and yoga books. I just saw a yoga book on the $1 fr sale rack yesterday at my library.

And... check out the GAPS diet (can get info online free). Might get rid of your depression and also help with energy / weight / digestion. Small learning curve, but easy to make and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 1903/28/2013

You're my type, OP.

Tantric, baby.

Bend it over just a little.

(Feel as hot as you are.)

by Anonymousreply 2003/28/2013

Join a yoga class. The ones on youtube are hard to follow because the instructors are not very good at explaining what you have to do.

by Anonymousreply 2112/29/2013

Yoga people are fascists. Avoid. Even worse than Crossfit.

by Anonymousreply 2212/29/2013

Here you go, Op.

I actually wish this series was still on television. It used to come on at like 5:30 or 6 in the morning. It was very invigorating and relaxing, at once. There are several episodes of it uploaded to YT.

And I agree with a previous poster: you don't have to do the poses perfectly. It's fine to modify them to your ability. Just do your best. You'll get better at them.

by Anonymousreply 2312/29/2013

Change your diet. Stop eating bad carbs and sugar. Fiber and protein are your friends. Drink a lot of water. Walk, walk, walk. You will lose weight little by little if you follow this advise. Connect with other like-minded people. You must change your mindset and if you are depressed it takes an extra effort . Good luck! I did this a few years ago and will never go back to being fat and unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 2412/29/2013

" overweight, suffer from depression, and have joint pain." ...

Try taking a turmeric/curcumin extract daily. Do some research for the best varieties - if you decide to take curcumin extract, make sure it has piperine to enhance absorptioon, and augment it with whole turmeric (I think its very likely that curcumin isn't the only beneficial component of turmeric). One good way to do take turmeric is to drink turmeric tea during the day. Google it. Turmeric is anti-depressive (equal in effectiveness to SSRI anti-depressants), is an appetite suppressant, and will definitely help with your joint pain. Look into it while you begin your yoga routine.

by Anonymousreply 2512/29/2013

I've done yoga on and off for 7 years, almost all of it at home. The best beginner yoga videos are by Yoga Zone - particularly the ones led by Alan Finger (I've linked one below). Very, very good form instruction and they don't move too fast. The Steve Ross videos mentioned above are good, but pretty challenging - do not attempt until you have some familiarity with the typical vinyasa/power yoga asanas. Then you can also look into Bryan Kest. I also like the videos by Travis Eliot, who studied with Bryan.

by Anonymousreply 2612/29/2013

It's easy to get into yoga as a lot of yoga instructors are hot.

by Anonymousreply 2701/10/2014

Purchase Yoga Journal's "Yoga for Beginners" with Patricia Walden. This is not a new DVD but I believe it is still available. It is excellent.

This is truly a beginners instructional DVD in Hatha Yoga. One must learn the proper body positions before doing postures, to avoid injury and achieve the desired results. This video is well taught, and allows for simple assists such as a belt, or a block or a chair to help the student learn the pose while they are developing the necessary flexibility and strength to fully perform the postures.

That said, this video is quite comprehensive for a beginner and is divided into standing poses, forward bends, seated poses, inverted poses and deep relaxation. It is about 75 minutes long and when you're ready, it can be performed as a complete class. Yoga is about holding poses and breathing into them, so the instructional lag here is very similar to what you would find in an actual beginner's yoga class. I highly recommend the clear instruction and demonstration found on this video, from a respected yoga teacher.

I am well beyond this video, but did purchase it as recently as two years ago as a gift for a friend. I believe it was produced in 2001.

by Anonymousreply 2801/10/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!