Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Questions For Those Who Travel Four Weeks Or More:

Whether you take extended vacation time or you travel for business, I'm wondering how you manage.

How do you house your pets for extended periods?

How do you close down your house?

What do you do with the contents of your refrigerator?

What do you do about mail service?

I'm considering jobs that require travel as 50% or more and I have pets.

by Anonymousreply 1003/27/2013

Being gone 50% or more of the year seems more than a big imposition on friends or neighbors. I wouldn't be comfortable asking for or accepting that sort of help unless there were money involved.

I'm away for a month at a time twice a year usually, and with shorter trips of one- to three-weeks, but it doesn't add up to more than half the year. I rely on pet sitters who see to the mail and can see to some other chores like watering plants. When a pet sitter isn't available, I've asked friends and neighbors, or sometimes neighbors' kids to fill in. Even without a pet, I wouldn't be comfortable without someone looking in on the house at least every two- or three-days, but that's partly because it's a big, complicated place in a rural location -- it's not as easily closed down as some other places I've lived. The food is easy to figure out. Paying bills is the bigger concern, making sure of electronic alerts and the ability to make payments remotely.

by Anonymousreply 103/27/2013

We hire a housesitter to care for our home and pet. You can have the post office put a hold on delivering your mail, but we have all are bills set to be paid automatically online. Set it up a couple months in advance of travel to make sure it's running ok.

Unless you're in a cave in the Himalayas, you can call your banks and credit card companies from overseas. Just make sure you talk to your carrier and get set on an international plan.

by Anonymousreply 203/27/2013

R2, do you use a housesitting/petsitting service or hire someone you know? We have two pets but there's honestly no one we personally know who can stay at our apartment and watch them. Our one friend who was able to house/pet sit is moving away and we have no choice but to consider all alternatives. We live in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 303/27/2013

How do you house your pets for extended periods? I don't have any pets.

How do you close down your house? I rent. Turn off the lights and lock the door.

What do you do with the contents of your refrigerator? Nothing's in my refrigerator.

What do you do about mail service? PO can hold for very long times but my building has a front desk.

I'm considering jobs that require travel as 50% or more and I have pets. Unless you have someone you can trust with your pets, think carefully.

by Anonymousreply 403/27/2013

Why is lesbian a separate category? Don't we have pets too? Don't we travel?

by Anonymousreply 503/27/2013

Yeah, I'm confused by the lesbian category too.

by Anonymousreply 603/27/2013

All my polls include the 'lesbian' option because I'm inclusive.

by Anonymousreply 703/27/2013

Someone who is gone 50% of the time should probably not own pets.

by Anonymousreply 803/27/2013

I agree with r8.

by Anonymousreply 903/27/2013

R3, we have used professional petsitting services in the past, but we now have a friend whom we pay to stay at our place. She's a teacher who is off during the summer which is when we leave for our annual long trip.

I'm not in NYC, but I'm sure you can check on Yelp or ask your vet for recommendations.

We just have one cat and even though we have someone staying here when we're gone for 4-5 weeks every summer, he's still pissed at us when we get back.

by Anonymousreply 1003/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!