Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's A Pity It Took Rob Portman To Shame Democrats Into Voicing Support For Marriage Equality.

Since Portman's announcement, Mark Begich (AK), Mark Warner (VA), Claire McCaskill (MO), Jay Rockefeller (WV), Jon Tester (MT) and Kay Hagan (NC), have all made public statements about their support.

All of them represent red states (although Virginia is kind of purple at this point), and Begich, Hagan, and Warner are all up for re-election next year.

I believe Warner has a lesbian sister, and he could become a Muslim and probably still win in a walk, so that's not terribly surprising, but I am sad it took him this long to get there.

Hagan and Begich both have tough fights, and I hope this might behoove some of you to throw some coin their way.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3806/26/2014

They're politicians, 99% of whom are spineless cowards.

I'm not surprised.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 103/27/2013

Of all people to criticize, you manufacture this shit for what reason? I'm guessing you'd rather have Republicans in office so you could bitch louder and feel good about yourself.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 203/27/2013

I'm not criticizing, I'm just observing we're having an "Only Nixon could go to China" moment.

I actually think it was quite brave of Begich and Hagan, particularly the latter, since NC just passed a marriage ban last year.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 303/27/2013

Do you really think it was Portman vs. pressure from other Democrats or another reason?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 403/27/2013

Look at the timing. Sure, it's entirely possible that this would have happened anyway, given the SCOTUS cases, but there was nothing stopping them before.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 503/27/2013

It's gotten to where Democrats can bait Republicans with this issue. Force them to piss off their base by making pro gay statements or cause them to look like major bigots in general elections by making anti gay statements.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 603/27/2013

I think it's more about the SCOTUS and presenting a stronger argument that the Democratic party is now solidly gay marriage. It's significant progress when you compare it to one year ago when even Obama had not yet supported it. It is happening quickly but it's providing some additional momentum for the SCOTUS to feel.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 703/27/2013

I have donated to Tester in the past. I'm glad he is doing this!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 803/27/2013

I've donated to Hagan, Tester, and Warner, and will be giving Hagan and Warner more money, although Warner probably doesn't need it.

Also, to my utter shock, the v. v. Catholic Tim Kaine also came out for it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 903/27/2013

Speaking of shame, Portman didn't give a fuck until his son came out.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1003/28/2013

Hagen and Begich probably sealed their loss in 2014.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1103/28/2013

My political junkie husband informs me that Begich is likely to go against Joe Miller, the same Sarah Palin-backed candidate that Lisa Murkowski beat as a write-in candidate in 2010. While Murkowski isn't on the record for marriage equality, she is overall pretty pro-gay, so clearly it may not be as big a disadvantage as you'd think.

I'm not sure about Hagan, but she's a tough cookie.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1203/28/2013

Ah, Tim Kaine has also come out for it as well.

That leaves only 9 Democratic Senators who are silent on it, Heidi Heidtkamp (ND), Tom Carper (DE), Bob Casey (PA), Joe Donnelly (IN), Mary Landrieu (LA), Bill Nelson (FL), Tim Johnson (SD), Joe Manchin (WV), and Mark Pryor (AR). Carper has said he's "evolving" on the issue, and apparently Lisa Murkowski said the same thing, making her likely to be the first one to break ranks and join Rob Portman.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1303/29/2013

They reacted to the increasingly clear data that this issue has been decided by the public. There won't be a Democratic candidate for national office who doesn't support marriage equality.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1403/29/2013

It's a pity it took Rob Portman two years to proclaim his love and support for his son.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1503/29/2013

Thank you. r15. Wow VOTN, are you serious with this?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1603/29/2013

This reminds me of the war criminal with the gay daughter, who wouldn't attend her wedding because it would create a political message....

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1703/29/2013

[QUOTE]Wow VOTN, are you serious with this?

Read all about it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1803/29/2013

And with Bob Casey's announcement, we're down to only 8.

This is honestly the most interesting thing Casey has done since he was first elected.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1904/01/2013

Also, for those keeping score, I think this means that if they'd had the balls to go for filibuster reform, they'd have enough votes to pass Dianne Feinstein's Respect For Marriage DOMA-repeal act on an up or down. It wouldn't have meant anything because it would go nowhere in the House, but it would have been good symbolism.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2004/01/2013

Tom Carper finished evolving, and Mark Kirk came out for it as well, I assume because he'd like to be married himself someday.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2104/03/2013

The next Senate Democrat will be Bill Nelson of Florida.

Joe Donnelly, elected for the first time last year from Indiana, is reportedly opposed to same-sex marriage. Heidi Heitkamp, also elected for the first time last November, hasn't said anything. I believe the same thing with Donnelly is applicable with Joe Manchin of West Virginia.

Tim Johnson, three terms now from South Dakota, is retiring and not running for re-election next year.

Mary Landrieu of Louisiana and Mark Pryor of Arkansas have scheduled elections in 2014 -- and I figure they may not at all get on board. They'll have to run more internal poll numbers. And, when it comes to the next Senate Republican (following Ohio's Rob Portman and Illinois's Mark Kirk) to endorse same-sex marriage, Maine's Susan Collins will probably do so -- after she runs those internal poll numbers to tell her, given she too has an election next year, how to time it right with such matters.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2204/03/2013

Well, Heidtkamp and Donnelly both spoke out for equality today, which I frankly would never have expected. Mary Landrieu and Tim Johnson have said everything short of the words (the speculation is that Johnson's son is going to run for his seat), which just leave Mark Pryor and Joe Manchin.

Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins will be for it before Joe Manchin is.

The next step should be to petition the Judiciary Committee for a hearing on the Respect for Marriage Act. If your Senator is Leahy, Feinstein, Schumer, Franken and Klobuchar, Durbin, Coons, Blumenthal, Whitehouse, or Hirono, write or call them asking for a vote to send it to the full Senate. Even if it never got past cloture (and I'm not entirely sure it wouldn't), we've got the wind at our backs.

It won't go anywhere in the House, but getting it passed in the Senate would be a HUGE symbolic act, especially in advance of the SCOTUS decision on Windsor v United States.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2304/05/2013

Also, while it's of little difference now, former Maine Senator Olympia Snowe says that she voted Yes on Question One (ie, for equality) in the referendum and she personally feels DOMA should be repealed.

I'm more curious to know if she voted for Angus King or not.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2404/05/2013

Wow. VOTN has finally made an astute political observation that I happen to agree with 100%. Will wonders ever cease?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2504/05/2013

Mary Landrieu is up for reelection in Louisiana next year and will not come out for it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2604/05/2013

It's a damn shame. They were all against and most continue to be against equal rights. That's what it comes down to. It's equal rights. And it bothers me that the press hasn't made this point. Rob Portman doesn't care about gay people. He just wants his gay son to have the same rights that he has. Republicans are always against everything until it affects them.

You don't have to like or agree with something, but you don't have the right to keep other people from having the same rights as you do

Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others. John F. Kennedy

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2704/05/2013

When is that flamer Lindsay Graham going to come out in favor of it?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2804/05/2013

We need to run a progressive against Mary Landrieu in the primary. She is a big reason why health care reform was so spineless. And she's an idiot and a terrible person. We need to run someone against her.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2904/05/2013

"Rob Portman doesn't care about gay people. He just wants his gay son to have the same rights that he has."

Bingo. This needs to be said every day until that man dies. It sucks that he came out for son's rights, er, gay rights three days before Hillary - it neutralizes her on that issue in the event of 2016 Portman vs. Clinton.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3004/05/2013

And Tim Johnson evolved today.

Three to go.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3104/08/2013

Add one to R column. As expected, Lisa Murkowski also endorsed marriage equality.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3206/19/2013

Makes you wonder if some people aren't privy to upcoming SCOTUS decisions.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3306/19/2013

I doubt John Roberts is calling her and chatting with her over drinks about the way the court has decided, but a lot of the Senators who aren't out and out zealots have seen which way the wind is blowing.

Murkowski has a good record on gay rights and has always been a pragmatist. I couldn't ever vote for her, but she's one of the few Republicans I actually respect. I actually think I respect her more than Susan Collins, who makes every policy position by conducting an opinion poll.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3406/19/2013

Here's a map breakdown of gay marriage support in the Senate. Dark blue where both senators support marriage equality, light blue where one is in support.

Of course the extreme south and middle part of the country are horrible.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3506/19/2013

Maine's Susan Collins is having her numbers guy monitor the Republican base of her home state. She has 2014 to think about, people!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3606/20/2013

Well, after they ran the numbers and her opponent was hitting her on her lack of support, her advisors told her it was best if she come out in favor of it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3706/26/2014

[quote]her advisors told her it was best if she come out in favor of it.

Now she needs to ditch the phony husband and come out of the closet herself.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3806/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.