Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Interior Design question: tile

This is a serious question, bitches. We're remodling our very small bathroom in a 1920s bungalow. It's all one floor, and yes, small.

My question is this— Would it be tacky to have a different color/ kind of tile in the kitchen and bath, or would it be tacky or low-rent to have subway both in the kitchen and the bath? From the dining room one can see into the kitchen as well as the bathroom, so I'm concerned about the visual flow.

I want something classic and not totally out of sync with the era of the house. For the bathroom floor we're doing penny tile. Simple white gloss. On the walls, white subway tiles- but maybe thin thinner more contemporary version. (Yes, that's boring but we like it.)

by Anonymousreply 1503/27/2013

What difference does it make? It will be stained with jizz and cat piss anyway.

by Anonymousreply 103/27/2013

There is nothing tacky or low rent about white subway tile. The house probably had colored tiles originally: 4x4 squares in a pastel color with a darker colored or black border. If the bungalow is small, I would stick with all white tile. Since you are using all white penny tile in the bath, I would keep the tile all white. I assume this is the only bath in the house.

by Anonymousreply 203/27/2013

First, keep the door closed -- and the tile will not be so much an issue. (Who wants to gaze upon the bathroom fixtures while seated at a dining table?)

Otherwise, I'd probably go with your inclination to use simple tile in both spaces, of the same or compatible style and type. Classic white ceramic or porcelain tile holds up against time and fits with most interiors; fussy, trendy backsplashes and decorative motifs and odd materials are more likely to look past their prime in a few years. If you're bent on displaying your "personal style", bathroom tile and kitchen tile might better take a back bench to furniture and paintings or fresh flowers.

Trendy backsplashes or Ann Sacks tiles seldom impress anyone but the person/s who picked them out in the showroom.

by Anonymousreply 303/27/2013

OP you don't want kitchen & bath the same color. It's OK if they compliment, but I would just strive for not clashing. I have a very small bathroom, and I've used all white tile with a darker blue, not pastel, (specially mixed) paint. White accessories and a natural wood vanity I found at a garage sale and repurposed.

We simply took off the top and part of the back, then got a sink with a speckled granite top cut for it. We used stainless steel shiney fixtures. Looks great.

As for your kitchen, get daring. Use cabinet doors that have frosted glass. Use glass colored tile accents, etc. I'd go for color in the kitchen. Make it bright and cheerful.

by Anonymousreply 403/27/2013

Thanks r2 and 3. :)

by Anonymousreply 503/27/2013

I hate penny tile. I don't care if it's authentically period. Hate linoleum, too.

by Anonymousreply 603/27/2013

Useful answer, r6.

by Anonymousreply 703/27/2013

White will be impossible to keep clean, OP. It's okay for the small bath area since it doesn't get much traffic, but not a good choice for the kitchen/dining area. It's not so much the tile, but the matching white grout that you need to worry about. I had it in my kitchen a decade ago and went crazy trying to keep that damn grout clean. No matter what, in comparison to the white tile, it always looked dirty. I would go with tile that is more gold/beige/tan that you can match the grout to and not have to worry about bleaching grout all the time.

by Anonymousreply 803/27/2013

r8 what about using a darker colored grout, like grey instead?

by Anonymousreply 903/27/2013

I strongly suggest adding a door to your bathroom so your guests are not obliged to peer into it from every vantage in the house, and that you decorate the bathroom in the way you wish, since it is - more than any other room - a distinct environment. Well, in your house it sounds as if you are making an exception. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 1003/27/2013

I was concerned about the view of your crapper from the dining room, until I remembered Hilton Kramer's reflection of the glittering dinner party chez Saul Steinberg, at 740 Park Avenue, where the guest happily dined and chattered away below a fabulous Francis Bacon triptych. "On one side a naked man throws up into a sink; on the other, a naked man strains on a toilet; in the middle, grotesque and half hidden, a third naked figure casts a batwinged, demonic, and loathsome shadow ominously across the floor."

Subway tile should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 1103/27/2013

No, R9. I've seen that and it just looks dirty. Same with beige or black grout against white tile. All it does is make it look dirty.

Do a google search and you will see what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 1203/27/2013

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. And fyi Yes we do have a door on our bathroom which we close when guests are over, of course but it still a concern of visual flow when one walks by the kitchen area to get in and out of the bathroom.

Call me particular but I feel as though every element of a small house should enhance the rest.

by Anonymousreply 1303/27/2013

I had a similar dilemma with my house, which is Craftsman but not a bungalow. I went with the traditional white subway tile in the bathroom but I picked a colored glass tile with subway tile dimensions for the kitchen. It gives the subway tile a bit of a twist but it also seems true to the style of the house. It turned out beautifully, I think.

by Anonymousreply 1403/27/2013

[quote] decorate the bathroom in the way you wish, since it is - more than any other room - a distinct environment

I don't follow this. How is it more of a distinct environment than, say, a bedroom? Or the kitchen? Both of those seem pretty distinct to me, and unlikely to be confused with somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 1503/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.