Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Killers

They have become my favorite band over the last few years. Just wondering what the dl thinks of them and their frontman, Brandon Flowers.

by Anonymousreply 4408/03/2013

Mormon.

by Anonymousreply 103/27/2013

Mormon and showed freeper tendencies when he attacked Green Day for their song American Idiot, criticizing American jingoism and conservatism.

by Anonymousreply 203/27/2013

I love that dinky little jacket he wears with the feathers as shoulderpads. Its ace.

by Anonymousreply 303/27/2013

Had a crush on him for years til i found out he was married. Anyway, I've liked them a lot since 2003. They were one of my favorite alt rock groups in high school. They aren't particularly innovative (Mr. Brightside is a blatant Bowie ripoff), but they are a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 403/27/2013

Brandon Flowers Touts Membership in the Mormon Church

by Anonymousreply 503/27/2013

And here come the feathers.

by Anonymousreply 603/27/2013

They suck.

by Anonymousreply 703/27/2013

Stopped buying their albums after finding out they have freeper tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 803/27/2013

Love them!

by Anonymousreply 903/27/2013

They should get Michelle Shocked as an opening act.

by Anonymousreply 1003/27/2013

Hello 2005!

by Anonymousreply 1103/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 1203/27/2013

I know Brandon flowers is Mormon but I never heard them mention any politics at all.

by Anonymousreply 1303/28/2013

He lunched with Mitt Romney, did those TV ads for LDS, and I even remember some interviews he did for the UK press a few years ago where he declared himself more conservative than most other musicians.

by Anonymousreply 1403/28/2013

They played 4th of July at the White House in 2010 and played a fundraiser for Harry Reid's re-election campaign that year as well. But by and large, they avoid politics. Brandon seems to lean conservative, but the other guys are more liberal. But the problem is is that Brandon is 20 times more charismatic and better looking than any other guy in the group. I'm a long time fan of theirs, but my fandom is wearing off as I don't care much for their latest album--they moved too far from their original New Order/Duran Duran/Depeche MOde sound and their music sounds more like mid early to mid 80s flyover rock bands like 38 Special, Journey, REO Speedwagon and Meat Loaf.

by Anonymousreply 1503/28/2013

The new album, Battleborn, really grew on me. But I'm also the rare fan who loved Day & Age.

by Anonymousreply 1603/29/2013

I don't care what Brandon believes, he's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1703/29/2013

He's very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 1803/29/2013

Brandon Flowers is a devout Mormon. Prior to the Killers, Brandon played in a band homebased in NV. When the band decided to move to California for better opportunities, Brandon refused the move and quit because he wanted to stay in Nevada; he also didn't like the CA lifestyle, whatever that is.

I love their songs. As long as they are not overtly political and obnoxious about, I don't care what their personal political affiliation is.

by Anonymousreply 1903/29/2013

He is gorgeous, though he sometimes appears too thin. I like the band.

by Anonymousreply 2003/29/2013

I can't believe he was a fat kid, R20. Maybe that's why he tries to stay so skinny now.

by Anonymousreply 2103/29/2013

When asked about MUSIC, about half the responses are about politics.

by Anonymousreply 2203/29/2013

Maybe The Killers just aren't that noteworthy musically? They're hardly gonna go down as one of the greats. Brandon's looks are clearly the most interesting thing.

by Anonymousreply 2303/29/2013

They're kind of over, aren't they? If you like The Killers give Cold War Kids a try. Similar but a little different.

by Anonymousreply 2403/29/2013

R15, you're funny. When did The Killers ever sound like New Order, Dutan Duran or Depheche Mode? You generalise a lot.

by Anonymousreply 2503/29/2013

Musically, they are forgettable. I'd rather go back to the original New Order and Duran Duran albums than listen to some derivative Americana take on that. The problem that some posters here (myself included) pointed out is that Brandon Flowers owes his fame in North America to the fawning he received from gay press and audiences and yet he's willing to tithe and publicly support the same people who pushed for Prop 8.

by Anonymousreply 2603/29/2013

The first time I heard "Smile Like You Mean It" I thought to myself "someone covered a Smiths tune" Then I realized, no, someone wrote a song that SOUNDS like something the Smiths would do. The Smiths are not an easy band to cover and anytime someone tries, they fail. Nonetheless, they did pull this one off pretty well, despite omitting the verse about the darkened underpass.

by Anonymousreply 2703/29/2013

Duran Duran, yuck. Another reason to dislike them. But don't forget their/Brandon's massive Smiths/Morrissey worship, that's their biggest influence. In fact they're really as derivative as Oasis, except changing up the influences now and then rather than stuck on The Beatles.

I just like some of their singles I'd say, maybe a good singles band. I hated them when they first came out - they sounded like Shed Seven. And Brandon was super cunty in interviews, like a bitchy queen.

But "Human" with its pristine Stuart Price production converted me, and I finally got the appeal of some of the earlier singles like Brightside and I got soul but I'm not a soldier were.

The new stuff though has stopped their momentum dead in its tracks. "Runaway" was OK, but the Springsteen ripping is tired now. I did quite like the Brandon solo stuff which is essentially the same, gotta love the video with Charlize Theron.

by Anonymousreply 2803/29/2013

Check out the song "Dustland Fairytale" from the Day & Age album. It's probably my fav.

by Anonymousreply 2903/29/2013

He's a Nevada Mormon who balances his whacko family-faith with being pro-gay. I no longer differentiate between Mormons and other religions, such as Catholics. And if you can see a Catholic artist operating freely despite being a church-goer, I suppose the same can go for a Mormon. (Although I think anyone who is devout has problems to sort out.)

And Flowers, while he's not aging all that well, has certainly been gorgeous. And his song about Joseph, with Elton John and Neil Tennant, shows a fluidity of collaboration - with gays. And some of his music is homophilic.

by Anonymousreply 3003/29/2013

[quote] The Smiths are not an easy band to cover and anytime someone tries, they fail.

Placebo, who I actually like, does a cover of Bigmouth that is so bad, I think it gave me cancer. You're right R27. I have never heard a decent cover of a Smiths song. The one you posted isn't so bad, in fact, it may be the best one I have heard so far, but that's not really saying much as they don't do the whole song.

There is no way I would say their sound reminds me of Duran Duran or Depeche Mode.

by Anonymousreply 3103/29/2013

When I first heard Jenny Was A Friend I thought it was a new single by The Cure, circa Bloodflowers.

by Anonymousreply 3204/01/2013

The Killers are live on the YouTube broadcast from Lallapalooza right now.

by Anonymousreply 3308/02/2013

All of their albums are derivative of other bands: The Smiths, Springsteen, Duran Duran. But they mimic well, Flowers can write a very good hook (I LOVE When You Were Young) and is a decent lyricist.

I think they do lean right and I also think that's why there's is something so bland about them, like they're not actually a sum of their parts. They don't have the edge of the Smith's, the heart of Bruce, or the panache of Duran Duran. But they almost do. It's weird. Conservatives just don't feel as much as liberals, which is why most great artists lean left.

by Anonymousreply 3408/02/2013

Bernie Sumner just joined them on stage.

They are doing a version of New Order's Shadowplay.

by Anonymousreply 3508/02/2013

I love them OP. "Here With Me" from the new CD kills me everytime. I also loved their cover of "Go All the Way" that they did for Dark Shadows.

by Anonymousreply 3608/02/2013

Op here, "Here with me" is probably my least favorite song from the new album.

by Anonymousreply 3708/02/2013

R35, didn't they record a version of Shadowplay for the Joy Division movie a few years back?

by Anonymousreply 3808/02/2013

I think he's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 3908/02/2013

Brandon Flowers looks really good at Lallapalooza. He never used to do much for me, but I think he's kind of hot now as he ages.

by Anonymousreply 4008/02/2013

He's got Gay Voice and of course, the gayest name in the business. I like the Hitler Youth haircut on him though. His cover of Bette Davis Eyes was sublime though.

by Anonymousreply 4108/02/2013

[quote]...didn't they record a version of Shadowplay for the Joy Division movie a few years back?

You are right, r38. I didn't know that. They recorded it for the movie Control.

by Anonymousreply 4208/02/2013

i really only like "Somebody Told Me' and "Mr. Brightside". I am SO disappointed in them as I thought they had potential to be great and huge for a while but I hate their other songs.

by Anonymousreply 4308/03/2013

I think they've peaked and, as great as i think Flowers could be, it seems like the life, lifestyle, attitude and hangups are going to hold him down. But at his best he can be wonderful - and if he's not gay - married and Mormon and whatever notwithstanding - I'm not a cocksucker.

Just listening him sing "Joseph, Better You Then Me" with Elton John and Neil Tennant rather places him in what should be his natural context.

by Anonymousreply 4408/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.