Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What did you think of the novel Lolita?

I think it's pedophilia and should be banned. Eek, gross.

by Anonymousreply 2203/27/2013

It was okay. It is very creepy to read something from a sociopath's point of view. However, it is fiction. It irritates me that Hollywood turned Lolita into a story about a nymphomaniac older teenage girl, because the book is pretty nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 103/27/2013

No book should be banned OP.

by Anonymousreply 203/27/2013

One of the most beautifully written books ever. Too bad you can't appreciate that, OP.

by Anonymousreply 303/27/2013

Put off reading it forever. Not because of the subject matter, just had zero interest. Glad I finally picked it up a few years ago. I consider it one of the top 5 novels ever. The writing is just astonishingly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 403/27/2013

I actually just finished reading this book two days ago. It definitely gave me the chills reading from Humbert's perspective, in first person nonetheless. However, the writing was too beautiful for this book to be put aside.

What he did to Dolores was despicable and inexcusable, but the book really does make the reader see things in a slightly different perspective, or at least Humbert tries to do so by convincing the jury with his writing.

by Anonymousreply 503/27/2013

Amazing, amazing novel.

by Anonymousreply 603/27/2013

My most favorite book off all time. Nabakov's treatment of English while not even his primary language should be required reading.

by Anonymousreply 703/27/2013

We really don't want to go down the book-banning route. Who gets to say what should be banned? It happened before and it was a terrifying time for anyone who didn't adhere to conservative right wing Christian uniformity.

Nabokov was a talented writer and even if you find the subject matter distasteful other people have the right to read it and decide for themselves. No one should be the arbiter of what is "correct" for others to read.

by Anonymousreply 803/27/2013

OP - voice of the ignorant conservative future

by Anonymousreply 903/27/2013

Go back to your Hunger Games and Twilight novels, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1003/27/2013

One of the great novels. It's in my top 5 favorites. Brilliant, and darkly funny.

by Anonymousreply 1103/27/2013

If you want to ban that, then we'll hav to ban a lot of literature based on your silly beliefs, including Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet weren't adults, did ya know?).

by Anonymousreply 1203/27/2013

I agree with Yevustenko (sp?)the poet, who said that when you read Nabokov you could hear the clatter of his surgical tools. Brilliant, but cold. Clever, but cruel. A novel that is superficial genius--Nabokov lacks intellectual depth, but the surface is dazzling.

If that is all you like, fine. I'm not convinced there's more there.

by Anonymousreply 1303/27/2013

"Yevustenko"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1403/27/2013

OP doesn't read books. Don't be silly. He waits for the movie to come out.

by Anonymousreply 1503/27/2013

Listened to it recently on audiobook. Jeremy Irons did a great job with the narration (which made sense following his film work). But then, he's Jeremy Irons. Anyway, I'm glad Random House Audio in the end decided to go with Irons instead of Billy Crystal.

by Anonymousreply 1603/27/2013

One of the greatest novels of all time. Pedophilia, yes. but that's the point. The novel is written from the sociopath/pedophile's POV, and if it makes a person sympathize with him, then that is the ownness of the reader. It's an absolute work of art.

by Anonymousreply 1703/27/2013

Isn't pedofilia when you screw the dead?

by Anonymousreply 1803/27/2013

R18, you're thinking of Neccofilia which is having sex with the dead while wearing multi-colored outfits.

by Anonymousreply 1903/27/2013

OP is dumb. r13 is pretentious and dumb.

by Anonymousreply 2003/27/2013

And you are what,12 years old?

I first read it as a teenager and was stunned by the languauge, its one I have been meaning to re-read. The 1962 film is astounding too with Mason and Winters, though they played safe with Sue Lyon being a little older.

Its a stunning book with marvellous use of words and language. If you can't see that then you are just a hopeless moron or dimwit frau.

by Anonymousreply 2103/27/2013

Excellent writing, but the subject matter does creep you out, especially when Humbert Humbert keeps trying to justify his urges and actions, and seems to expect that the reader will actually be sympathetic towards him.

by Anonymousreply 2203/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.