Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anderson Cooper Approached For Matt Lauer’s ‘Today’ Job

Embattled Today anchor Matt Lauer, already the focus of blistering criticism for the ouster of co-anchor Ann Curry and the ratings slide at NBC‘s morning show, has long been rumored to be on the chopping block — despite his $25 million contract and recent efforts aimed at rehabilitating his image. Here’s the latest wrinkle: I hear NBC toppers recently reached out to CNN’s Anderson Cooper to replace Lauer on the show before the end of the year. After their initial approach to Cooper, I hear NBC reached out to Lauer to get his blessing about the changeover. But I heard they got pushback from the Today veteran, who contacted Cooper to express his disapproval. I also hear that call caught Cooper by surprise, as he had assumed Lauer had been brought on board before NBC began making overtures. Cooper has been one of the leading faces at CNN, though I hear his contract has an out, and he previously was able to do his syndicated daytime talk show in addition to his CNN program.

Cooper’s is just the latest name to be rumored to replace Lauer, who inked a long-term contract last year. Ryan Seacrest, current Today co-host Willie Geist and Meet The Press host David Gregory have all been reportedly considered by NBC. Lauer, meanwhile, has been tied to rumors (along with Cooper, Brian Williams and Dan Patrick) to take over for Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek when the longtime game show host decides to retire.

by Anonymousreply 6804/05/2013

Is it true Matt Lauer would call Ann Curry, Soy Sauce?

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

Chopsticks.

by Anonymousreply 203/26/2013

No doubt NBC has regrets about Lauer's most recent contract.

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2013

Lauer is very touchy.

by Anonymousreply 403/26/2013

David Gregory???

Who the hell wants to see that shit at 7am???

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2013

I just wish that Lauer would go.

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2013

I'm not a big Anderson Cooper fan, but I would prefer him over David Gregory or Willie Geist. Anderson can report on a major breaking story, interview world leaders, and do that annoying giggle thing that he does during a cooking segment. I think he's a perfect fit, unlike Gregory who has single-handedly destroyed Meet the Press.

by Anonymousreply 703/26/2013

If this is true (I think it's fake) it would be very stupid for The Today Show to fire Matt Lauer and replace him with Anderson Cooper. Anderson has failed miserably in the ratings with both of his television shows. THAT IS A FACT. He has the personality of a 10 yr old eating a stale cracker.

If the Today Show is doing bad now they will be in for a rude awakening if they hire Mr. Cooper. Good Morning America would pulverize them in the ratings.

The JEOPARDY gig would be a better fit.

by Anonymousreply 803/26/2013

Cooper is much more likable than Matt or Willie G. willie G is too blah

by Anonymousreply 903/27/2013

R8 called it.

Cooper should simply fulfill his destiny and become a game show host.

by Anonymousreply 1003/27/2013

I'm all for David Gregory. If that means they will take him off of Meet The Press and put in a real journalist

by Anonymousreply 1103/27/2013

PLEASE don't let Lauer get the Jeopardy gig. I love Jeopardy. That would be very sad.

by Anonymousreply 1203/27/2013

This will happen when pigs fly.

by Anonymousreply 1303/27/2013

Anderson did great as a fill-in for Regis, and his daytime show would've worked with a female cohost, that was the missing element. And he'll had a female cohost on Today, so I think he'd do fine. It also would be great for gay rights and gay visibility, something the contrarian trolls also know full well, so they'll be out in force to trash him.

by Anonymousreply 1403/27/2013

If Anderson took the Today job I think he would need to color his hair. His hair wouldn't look good in the morning and it would bother a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 1503/27/2013

Lauer didn't leave the Today Show, so I left. Never looked back, and I don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 1603/27/2013

Anderson's hair is fine, it looks fine all day. I don't watch Today but I would if Anderson got the job.

by Anonymousreply 1703/27/2013

David G is going to Telemundo

by Anonymousreply 1803/27/2013

They would never let an openly gay man to host.

by Anonymousreply 1903/27/2013

I never understand this bullshit.

David Gregory is responsible for MTP having ratings at a 20-year low, so WTF even put his name out there as a potential co-host for Today when no one wants to look at that hideous mug (not to mention rightwing tool) one day a week, let alone five days?

by Anonymousreply 2003/27/2013

I love his hair. I got to the same barber.

by Anonymousreply 2103/27/2013

Can we get a gay man under 35 on "Today"? So tired of Anderson being the "go to" gay.

by Anonymousreply 2203/27/2013

Willie Geist should take over. He's great.

by Anonymousreply 2303/27/2013

Bill Hemmer is the man they want.

Anderson is a loser who can't even hold another middle aged man.

If his own boyfriend doesn't want him, why should we?

by Anonymousreply 2403/27/2013

[quote]Can we get a gay man under 35 on "Today"?

That'll depend upon whether you can find a gay man who doesn't comport himself like a teenager.

Like it or not, even just reading the news requires a certain amount of gravitas, which is in short supply with our recent generations of Peter Pans.

by Anonymousreply 2503/27/2013

I'm not even an Anderson Cooper fan, but would strongly prefer him over Lauer or any NBC "name" being tossed around.

by Anonymousreply 2603/27/2013

I'm at a point where I have to change the channel when I see Matt Lauer. The man gets paid over 20 million, and still has a nasty attitude.

by Anonymousreply 2703/27/2013

LMAO...I think it's hilarious that Anderson thought the powers that be were coordinating their efforts, but Matt Lauer had to call him and set things straight (so to speak).

by Anonymousreply 2803/27/2013

[quote]David Gregory???

He's another Matt Lauer, the man is very conceited.

by Anonymousreply 2903/27/2013

That bar is really LOW right now. As much as I am repulsed by anteater faced Matt Lauer, poor Anderson has proven he just doesn't have the charisma or personality for a gig like this. I SO wanted to like his talk show. But, over time, I realized that, although he may be a nice guy, his voice is anodyne and "flat." He is not witty or charming, but rather like an unrefined, uncultured, unsophisticated teenager. NICE, but not worldly, in spite of his travels and reporting adventures and family pedigree. It is shocking, actually, that he does not bring more to the table. Literally and figuratively. This is an anonymous board so I can feel free to say this stuff. I DO like him on an "intuitive" level, though. He is just, just...dorky. His whole "schtick" and act about not knowing about this or that or being uptight about this or that, etc. is STALE. And dull. ("I have never eaten...I have never tried...I don't DO.....I am just a regular joe.....) YAWN.

by Anonymousreply 3003/27/2013

If they put Lauer on Jeopardy, then maybe they'll put Alex Trebek on the Today Show so he can condescend to all the guests and make them answer his questions in the form of questions.

by Anonymousreply 3103/27/2013

20 million to host a show, really this country has some excess money and it's all in the wrong hands.

by Anonymousreply 3203/27/2013

[quote]("I have never eaten...I have never tried...I don't DO.....I am just a regular joe.....) YAWN.

That's what turned me off to Anderson Cooper, I didn't realize he was such a man/child.

by Anonymousreply 3303/27/2013

You don't need extreme "gravitas" to host a morning chat show. Some gay people always set the bar impossibly high for an out gay celeb. They're too narcissistic to imagine anyone is good enough to represent THEM.

by Anonymousreply 3403/27/2013

[quote] It also would be great for gay rights and gay visibility, something the contrarian trolls also know full well, so they'll be out in force to trash him.

Let's not forget that we already have one openly gay person on the morning shows (Sam Champion) and one probably gay one (Robin Roberts)

As usual, the Anderson-haters are out in force, never mind that he'd be *perfect" for "Today." He can handle fluff and gravitas with equal aplomb, a rare skill usually seen only in female journalists like Diane Sawyer and Katie Couric. And sorry, but he has personality in spades with the right female counterpart at his side, as seen in his stints on "Regis & Kelly" as well as his NYE co-hosting duties with Kathy Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 3503/27/2013

r35, you obviously don't know any witty, charming and sophisticated people. And I am quite serious.

by Anonymousreply 3603/27/2013

It's fine Sam came out but they didn't make a very big deal of that on the show, right? I'll bet a lot of viewers don't even know about it, morning chat viewers are casual, they're getting ready for work, not riveted to every minute of it. And he's just the weather man and isn't expected to get into his personal life much anyway. Anderson would be totally different, it's well-publicized that he's gay and he would be the lead male host.

Closet-cases like Robin Roberts reinforce homophobia, they don't challenge it. As Anderson said when he came out, staying in the glass closet made it look like he was ashamed of being gay. That's what she's doing, and there's no indication that she has any intention of coming out. She's a Christian and I'll bet that has a lot to do with it, she's no out and proud'er.

by Anonymousreply 3703/27/2013

R37 I agree with you

by Anonymousreply 3803/27/2013

CBS is the only morning show with a modicum of credibility and professionalism right now. Charlie Rose and Gail King (yes, Gail King) have a modulated, professional on-air style. They are "old school." They can do hard news and fluff well. They don't pander to guests or talk over each other incessantly, like those ABC people do. They are calm, collected and respectful of guests and each other. It's an adult show.

Lara Spencer is like nails on a chalkboard. George Stephanopoulous is still, even in his 50's, like a little man in a suit playing grownup. Champion is sweet and nice and perhaps the best of the bunch. Josh Elliott reads like a smug, overeager fratboy; his drooping eyes are distracting. Poor Robin is the poster child for surviving life-threatening diseases. It's all you think about when you see her try to read "news."

NBC is a toxic soup of behind the scenes gossip and media damage control. It is has lost ALL cred. Lauer should go. The pregnant lesbian should go. Roker should go. They ALL should go and the Today show should start over with a reboot. America is sick of all their shit.

Edward R. Murrow, Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley and David Brinkley, Peter Jennings and even Jessica Savitch are spinning in their graves.

by Anonymousreply 3903/27/2013

[quote]You don't need extreme "gravitas" to host a morning chat show.

No one said "extreme" gravitas. Just enough to convince housewives you're concerned about something other than your spray tan. There is a reason why the morning shows do not have very young anchors--despite everything, people do tune in at first to catch up on news, and people trust news from someone a little more serious. It wouldn't kill you to think for a moment.

by Anonymousreply 4003/27/2013

[quote]If Anderson took the Today job I think he would need to color his hair.

He couldn't fool anyone by going with a natural hair color after being silver-white all this time. So he'd have to do a Mrs. Slocombe and have shocking pink hair this week and bright blue hair next week and chartreuse the week after that . . .

by Anonymousreply 4103/27/2013

One sliiiight problem with Anderson taking over: His morning talk show was a bomb.

by Anonymousreply 4203/27/2013

Anderson Cooper would be a perfect replacement. And just to up the gay quotient I propose Jane Ve Lez Mitchell as co hostess!

by Anonymousreply 4303/27/2013

[quote]Let's not forget that we already have one openly gay person on the morning shows (Sam Champion) and one probably gay one (Robin Roberts)

And there's also the closeted George Stephanopolous, once refered to by a former First Lady as "that little queen."

by Anonymousreply 4403/27/2013

I actually agree with[R15]. Otherwise, Anderson would be a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 4503/27/2013

Who watches this shit anyway? They take themselves way too seriously. If all 3 shows disappeared who would even notice? Anybody home in their slippers at 8am would be more interested in Maury and Jerry Springer than a hard-hitting interview with Lindsey Graham.

by Anonymousreply 4603/27/2013

The guy is a ratings failure at CNN. He's a ratings failure as a daytime talk show host.

NBC logic = he's a ratings savior!

by Anonymousreply 4703/27/2013

AC would be the perfect choice, but I don't think he's going to do it. I don't think he likes waking up early.

by Anonymousreply 4803/27/2013

Why would NBC reach out to Lauer for his blessings on a replacement. And who is Lauer to call Cooper to express his disapproval? At this point, Matt Lauer is damaged goods probably beyond salvation.

by Anonymousreply 4903/27/2013

While I don't know if this story was floated to rattle Matt, (and you know he's rattled) I just don't think AC will take the bait. Either way, Matt will be paid.

by Anonymousreply 5003/27/2013

TMZ's story.

by Anonymousreply 5103/27/2013

I get to watch maybe 10 mins of the morning show. I put it on channel 5 because I like Greg Kelly and Rosanna Scotto.

by Anonymousreply 5203/27/2013

USA Today says NBC denies Anderson Cooper is in line for Matt Lauer position. More than likely it was Anderson's people contacting NBC and throwing that rumor out there. Anderson is probably desperate to land a gig since his daytime gig is up and his evening show is on the brinks. The money is slowing down.

by Anonymousreply 5303/28/2013

R53, you are a hoot! Every time!

by Anonymousreply 5403/28/2013

You'd need a spouse you could trust. Early to bed, early to rise to do the job so it means a lot of free time on somebody's hands...

by Anonymousreply 5503/28/2013

Anderson doesn't want the job R53, so you're wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5603/28/2013

I've never watched the Today show, and apparently Matt Lauer is not well liked, but what is it he has done to garner such hate? Is he a bad interviewer, or...?

by Anonymousreply 5703/28/2013

Maybe it's the 25 million he's getting R57, I don't know much about him either.

by Anonymousreply 5803/28/2013

"AC would be the perfect choice, but I don't think he's going to do it. I don't think he likes waking up early."

Would you want to wake up early when you're spooning with a hot French barmaid?

by Anonymousreply 5903/28/2013

[quote]his evening show is on the brinks.

Connie Chung is posting again.

by Anonymousreply 6003/28/2013

TMZ has a .... Who would you rather... between Anderson and Lauer.

Anderson is winning with 80% plus, but I think Lauer has the better picture.

by Anonymousreply 6103/28/2013

R61 How about a "neither" option?

by Anonymousreply 6203/28/2013

R59, he didn't like it even before he met Ben. He said the same thing a decade ago when he used to sub for Bill Hemmer on American Morning or whatever it was called on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 6303/28/2013

They show a goofy pic of AC and he STILL wins? Well I'm not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 6403/28/2013

This was discussed on NPR this morning so the news is going far beyond DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 6503/29/2013

[quote]He couldn't fool anyone by going with a natural hair color after being silver-white all this time.

That's not his natural hair color? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 6603/29/2013

[quote]Anderson is winning with 80% plus, but I think Lauer has the better picture.

I'd vote against Lauer no matter whose name was up against him. No doubt many people feel the same.

by Anonymousreply 6703/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!