Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

IT'S OFFICIAL: Madonna Joins The Billionaires Club!

The “Material Girl” has reportedly joined the billion-dollar club.

We already know that Madonna was named pop’s top earner in 2012 thanks to her record-breaking MDNA tour that grossed a whopping $305,158,363. On top of that she made $75 million in merchandise sales during her 88 shows around the world and raked in $10 million in TV rights and DVD sales from her tour.

Her rumored net worth had already hovered around $700 million but according to Women’s Wear Daily, the Queen of Pop rounded that up to a billion bucks by dipping her toes in several other money-making ventures.

The pop icon has investments in Vita Coco and gym chain Hard Candy that earned her mega money. She took in $60 million in sales from her new perfume, Truth or Dare and made another $10 million from her recent deal with vodka brand Smirnoff. Retail experts also told WWD that Madge will earn $10 million in 2013 from her “Material Girl” clothing line, shoe line and upcoming Macy’s lingerie line.

==>Meanwhile, Jurassic Janet Jackson hasn't recorded in 7 years. Lady Groupon is mired in lawsuits after bailing out of her recent doomed tour.

by Anonymousreply 4003/28/2013

Even though I think she's vastly overrated, I'd be fine with this *if* she didn't preach about her religious beliefs quite a lot. Either spend your vast wealth providing for the poor and needy, or don't pose as all pious and enlightened by the Kabballa.

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

She did not make that much money from 2011. This article is already being torn to shreds. He manager paid for it.

by Anonymousreply 203/26/2013

About time.

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2013

That's crap, R2. I'm not overly fond of her either, but Madonna has been on the cusp of "billionairedom" for the last few years. There was an article in Forbes a year or so ago predicting her to be the first female "pop star billionaire" and stated she'd hit the mark either this year or next.

by Anonymousreply 403/26/2013

Her last 2 tours alone grossed about $700 million. I don't think she's a billionaire yet but have no doubt she'll be one in the next 5-10 years.

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2013

I'm assuming that she has $1 billion or more in net worth, the value of her estate, not $1 billion in cash. Impressive nevertheless.

Why would it be so hard to believe that Madonna could be a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 703/26/2013

I think it's awesome. I mean, seriously, even if you hate her, can you imagine what it was like for her as a young girl leaving her dad's house for New York with practically no money in her pocket? That takes guts, people. No matter how supremely confident she may seem, you know she had to be frightened, sad, all those things, and now years later, using nothing but her determination and tenacity, she's worth not a million but a billion dollars. She's the American Dream materialized. Even if you despise her, you gotta' respect that.

Kudos Madge!

by Anonymousreply 803/27/2013

I am proud to say that I have never contributed one cent to Madonna's billion. And lots of us have been broke and alone. Big whoop for Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 903/27/2013

All of this billionaire fascination seems really juvenile. Her holdings may be valued at that amount today, but she is not sitting on a billion dollars in cash. If she liquidated everything, then she would be riddled with taxes. It's all smoke and mirrors. She is successful, but also does not DO anything interesting anymore. I don't see why her finances are of interest. Same with Janet. People are starving.

by Anonymousreply 1003/27/2013

She also didn't have someone behind the scenes pushing her or pulling the strings like other artists. Elvis had the Colonel. Michael had his dad early on. Mariah fucked the president of Sony. Celine had her manager/husband. Whitney had Clive. Madonna changes the people around her and she's still here. It is admirable.

by Anonymousreply 1103/27/2013

If her tours and perfume grossed that much her take would still be much lower, minus expenses and costs such as marketing, etc. Gross profit is not net profit.

But I agree with others that she's clearly on track for billionairedom. She's not there yet but probably close.

Is Paul McCartney a billionaire yet? He must be close.

by Anonymousreply 1203/27/2013

I will be one by marriage!

by Anonymousreply 1303/27/2013

But is she happy?

by Anonymousreply 1403/27/2013

I think it is fascinating, and I'm not doubting, that she did make the 75 million in just sheer merchandise sold in her 88 concert dates this year.

I went to two shows in two cities (NYC Yankee Stadium and Miami), each show had about a dozen sites for buying merchandise and at each site multiple lines went on for 50 yards all night long.

Consider that and the fact that the T-shirts were $45 (the least expensive thing sold), the gal clearly cleaned up on that with minimum expenditures.

by Anonymousreply 1503/27/2013

R9, morose and eating another bowl of Ramen noodles for dinner after a hard day of refolding jeans at The Gap.

by Anonymousreply 1603/27/2013

R10, I feel as if you're missing the point. It isn't the money; it's the accomplishment behind it. Very few of us can do anything well enough to earn a billion dollars. As someone else said, even if you don't like her as an entertainer or as a person, the accomplishment, from zero to billionaire, is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 1703/27/2013

Madonna is worth a billion dollars and she still has a ten cent face. Maybe now that she's been bumped up tax bracket wise,she can find a better plastic surgeon/enabler.Hopefully a doctor that will make her look a lot less like Joan Rivers than she already does.

by Anonymousreply 1803/27/2013

[quote]All of this billionaire fascination seems really juvenile. Her holdings may be valued at that amount today, but she is not sitting on a billion dollars in cash. If she liquidated everything, then she would be riddled with taxes.

True, but you can say about most billionaires, and unlike all the tech gurus like Zuckerberg, her net worth isn't tied up in the day-to-day price of a given stock.

Btw I would assume Madge has invested her fortune wisely. She may have divorced Guy Ritchie, but she undoubtedly still has holdings in the UK, the world's biggest tax shelter (in contrast to the false view that it's Switzerland or somewhere in the tropics).

by Anonymousreply 1903/27/2013

The MDNA Tour grossed $305 million in ticket sales alone, the tour cost about $100 million to produce, Madonna gets an unheard of 90% of all tour profits, that's 90% of $205 million, about $183 million.

Tour merchandise sales was at $75 million, Madonna gets 80% of all merchandise sales.

Throw in her Macy's clothing line, perfume sales, endorsmwmts and CD/DVD sales (which are barely nothing in the digital age) and her 2012 income is something like $300 million, the largest income from annual performer ever.

Years ago Forbes already declared Madonna as the richest woman in music history, so this just adds to her money.

Haters don't kill yourselves over Queen Madonna and her longevity and wealth.

by Anonymousreply 2003/27/2013

But her face is busted, those shots of her in the boy scout uniform confirmed that and her music has sucked for the last 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 2103/27/2013

Big whoop.

by Anonymousreply 2203/27/2013

R21 that's YOUR opinion and Madonna looks good for a 53 year old.

I always thought it was common knowledge that Madonna is the richest woman in music history, or the biggest selling female recording artiat of all time, or the highest grossing solo (male or female) touring artist of alk time, or the fact that she has more Billboard Hot 100 top 10 hits than any artist in history or that she has more #1 singles (22) on the United World Charts than any musical performer in history, sorry Elvis, Beatles and MJ.

What are they teaching these kids at school nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 2303/27/2013

Why the hell are her delusional fans excited about this? It's not like she would give you a cent.

Oh well, whatever turns you on.

by Anonymousreply 2403/27/2013

Her music has always sucked if you think all fluffy pop music sucks. Her lightweight vocal skills makes everything she recorded inconsequential fluff.

by Anonymousreply 2503/27/2013

R25 that's YOUR opinion, but songs like Live to Tell and Frozen are amazing and her vocals are quite strong on those tracks.

In 2010 forbes published a list of the highest earning female music performers since 2000, Madonna was #1 in the 2000's, Beyonce #2,Celine #3 and Britney #4.

Madonna made $190 million alone between 2008 and 2009

In fact since 2008 Madonna has earned well over $500 million, that's more than double what Gaga has earned in that same 5 year span.

Stay pressed haters!

by Anonymousreply 2603/27/2013

Madonna did not make the Forbes list of the top ten most influential celebrities in the world.

So money does not equal relevance.

by Anonymousreply 2703/27/2013

I wish she was my best friend. I sure could use about $100K right now.

by Anonymousreply 2803/27/2013

She's the Hetty Green of the 21st Century!!!

by Anonymousreply 2903/27/2013

If she has all this money why does her face look like that?

by Anonymousreply 3003/27/2013

Like she'd give you anything, r28. You do realize she has a homeless brother, right?

by Anonymousreply 3103/27/2013

R31, she has paid for her brother's treatment multiple times---he keeps leaving the facility or is thrown out. Some people want to be homeless and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 3203/27/2013

OP/madbot is all over this thread. Whole lotta yellow.

by Anonymousreply 3303/27/2013

r20/madbot is angry as fuck!

by Anonymousreply 3403/27/2013

It's before taxes.

by Anonymousreply 3503/27/2013

[She's the American Dream materialized.]

No kidding. That tenacious, hardscrabble bitch showed how its done.

I once read a quote from one of her handlers that said, effectively, Madonna keeps moving forward--not looking left, not looking right, but ahead.

Pop Tart, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 3603/27/2013

What's the name of the autobiography by her brother. Anyone read it??

by Anonymousreply 3703/27/2013

I think she has shown the world how to do it. Can you imagine being around for 31 years and hitting the jackpot AGAIN as the top touring draw? Her career is astounding, no one has come close, and she still creates.

by Anonymousreply 3803/28/2013

R1, good point. How many starving children from Africa have YOU adopted?

by Anonymousreply 3903/28/2013

You know there is a little boy online when you hear him use expressions like R34's "angry as fuck!" I mean, come on, who says things like that?

by Anonymousreply 4003/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.