Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How severe is nepotism in your country? How important are people relationship in your country?

I'm Chinese Canadian and in China nepotism is extremely bad. If you were of mediocre talent, or even slightly above average talent than you'd really have to know people to get a job.

In Canada, not so much. It is mostly based on ability and the average person with average abilities would be able to get a job.

Now if I were still in China and did not immigrate to Canada, I wouldn't have to worry since my father is someone of high social standing in China (upon immigrating to Canada we lost said social standing).

What is it like in the United States? Do you guys have nepotism, I heard about the American Dream, it sounds so ideal, it almost seems impossible.

by Anonymousreply 1003/27/2013

Of course there's nepotism in Canada, OP. Plus you get bonus points for being vizmin.

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

What is a vizmin?

by Anonymousreply 203/26/2013

Plenty of nepotism in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2013

How did you find out about Datalounge, OP?

by Anonymousreply 403/26/2013

We have nepotism. But don't worry. You won't have any problem.

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2013

It's gotten very bad in te US in the 10 years....

When I hear someone has gotten it's 100% because they knew someone

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2013

Tne American dream of a classless, egalitarian society is dying. Social classes are becoming more entrenched, and nepotism is becoming more important as jobs become harde.

Look at Hollywood, almost everyone you ever heard of has parents in the business.

by Anonymousreply 703/27/2013

OP, when you say your immigrating to Canada meant you lost social standing, why was that? Was it because they consider it like you were being a traitor or something? Are you talking about mainland China?

by Anonymousreply 803/27/2013

R8 - I think he means that his social standing in China doesn't mean anything in Canada. Here, he's just another person equal to other people.

Some people can't handle that.

by Anonymousreply 903/27/2013

"If you were of mediocre talent, or even slightly above average talent than you'd really have to know people to get a job."

I think it's the same everywhere. isn't that "networking" all about?

by Anonymousreply 1003/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.