Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How would total legalization of gay marriage in the U.S.

Affect your life?

by Anonymousreply 3403/26/2013

It wouldn't affect my life in the least.

I am not even dating. I'm never getting married.

But I will be happy that my friends who want to get married will be able to.

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

Same as R1.

Haven't dated in years. Marriage is not something I think about for myself.

I have a number of friends who will get married and that makes me happy.

I'm still kind of amazed at the progress made since I came out until now. I never thought it would have been possible. Gives me some hope for the future.

by Anonymousreply 203/26/2013

I won't be affected directly right away but I am happy that gay people today and in the future will have the opportunity to enjoy the rights and benefits our parents had as a married couple.

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2013

I'd probably know a ton more married people

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2013

Something else I could fail at.

by Anonymousreply 703/26/2013

It would feel as if for the first time in American history we truly matter.

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2013

My partner would be able to go home and see his family.

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

Obviously, it would greatly help couples where one partner is not an American citizen.

If we're going to have immigration reform, than allowing same sex couples the same rights should be a part of it.

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

r10, in the OP's scenario, domestic partners would have the option of marrying if they wanted to share benefits.

The number of people who are domestic partners who would decline to get married is miniscule, and moreover, for most companies, there would be no reason to withdraw DP benefits since employees PAY for them (they are not simply given out at the company's expense).

Anyway, hardly makes a convincing argument against legal equality.

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

I guess I was thinking about you, R13.

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

[quote] Immediate elimination of all "domestic partner" benefits.

SO? You want the reap the benefit of a relationship, then get married. That's what straight people have been doing for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

[quote] So now I have to get married for something I already have? No fucking thank you.

Yes. If you were NOT gay you would have to.

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

It would benefit me in the fact that people can be more secure in their relationships. I'll likely never be able to utilize these benefits, I'm too damaged from the culture that contributed to abasing the gays to actually be able to have a functioning relationship. However, one never knows what the future may hold.

For the future generation, it would be a huge step forward for this country, if the USA is truly 'Home Of The Free'. The blueprint for the future would be so much more equalized for growing up, with same sex couples living life in an unabashed, loving, and nurturing way, our gay citizens will be lifted out of the shadows into the society in which they have been ostracized. This healthier mindset will only make for a stronger America and a better world.

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

R21, why don't you cross that bridge when you get there. Seems like a lot of speculation.

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

Wouldn't make a difference in my life.

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

No more anti-gay proms, kids would grow up empowered that it is their explicit constitutional option to wed.

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

[quote] So now I have to get married for something I already have? No fucking thank you.

If you're married you won't be taxed on the benefits like you are when it's just Domestic Partner.

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

[quote] I would rather be taxed than married

Then you don't deserve the domestic partner benefits either.

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

It would affect my life a lot.

by Anonymousreply 3203/26/2013

I think it will affect all of our lives in profound ways, and the true effects won't be seen for at least a generation. We have consciously and subconsciously accomodated a lot of awful, oppressive stuff.

Our social behavior and our relationships, or inability to form relationships, has been affected by all the prohibitions, and discrimination, and ridicule, and harrassment we've been subjected to historically.

So, at a certain point, when we're finally given our full rights, and treated like normal people, which we are, I think it will take a while for all the defenses and the self-imposed restrictions to fall away. I am glad I lived to see this. We can all walk taller, stand prouder for it.

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013

I would be happy for friends who plan to get married. I would stop boycotting weddings. It would be nice to know our country is no longer withholding some rights from citizens who deserve equal rights.

by Anonymousreply 3403/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!