Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What idiot designed the red and pink Marriage Equality symbol?

It looks like the logo for the Menstruation Awareness campaign.

by Anonymousreply 4303/30/2013

I thought it was ugly. The blue and gold symbol is much better.

by Anonymousreply 103/29/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 203/29/2013

I'm delighted to see the awareness and support for this issue. And people online everywhere (Facebook, etc.) using the logo.

But it's based on the HRC symbol. And I refuse to identify in any way, shape, or form with that pointless and corrupt organization. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 303/29/2013

Thanks, Mr. HRC Press Release!

Don't you have a celebrity black tie event to throw on your own behalf?

by Anonymousreply 503/29/2013

[quote]It looks like the logo for the Menstruation Awareness campaign.

It has a "State Your Boundaries" quality about it.

by Anonymousreply 603/29/2013

The Human Rights Campaign is the largest civil rights organization working to achieve equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.

by Anonymousreply 703/29/2013

Willie Nelson has his with two doobies instead of the two lines...

by Anonymousreply 903/29/2013

Those are his pony-tails, dude.

by Anonymousreply 1003/29/2013

Can someone tell me if HRC has cleaned up its act after being accused a few years ago--by Larry Kramer and others--of only being interested in throwing lavish parties, building fancy offices and paying themselves grandiose salaries? Has it changed at all?

They annoyed me right off the bat, years ago, when they claimed to be 'non-partisan' and would support Republican candidates as well. Fuck that shit. Republicans hate our fucking guts. Why would a gay rights organization be non-partisan? That's retarded.

by Anonymousreply 1103/29/2013

I think it's a little subversive...trying to equate being gay with having AIDS (a cause for which red is widely used).

by Anonymousreply 1203/29/2013

Well, red is a very influencing color, I think it just caught on, over the blue and yellow one (reminded me of denmark) Red is the color associated with love. (the heart, red roses etc)

by Anonymousreply 1303/29/2013

R13, here I meant to say Sweden (blue/yellow flag)

by Anonymousreply 1403/29/2013

OP, are you the same douchebag who bitched about the drag queens among the pro-equality demonstration at the Supreme Court building? Can you give yourself an enema or something to get that huge bug out of your ass?

by Anonymousreply 1503/29/2013

it was started by HRC because of the color of one of the briefs the lawyer used ("Let's hear the red brief now").

by Anonymousreply 1603/29/2013

The red stands for LOVE, morons.

by Anonymousreply 1703/29/2013

Let's hear what these morons posting on DL have done for the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 1803/29/2013

Red is my color, bitches. It's a power color

by Anonymousreply 1903/29/2013

Last year, HRC raised over 2 million dollars to find its national black tie gala. What have you plebes done for the gay community???

by Anonymousreply 2003/29/2013

Ummmmmm....

by Anonymousreply 2103/29/2013

Because I first heard about it in reference to that Repub who changed his mind about gay marriage because of his son, I thought it was a pro gay red state message.

by Anonymousreply 2203/29/2013

It was all over Facebook but no one was saying why they were posting it. I had no idea what the fuck it was.

by Anonymousreply 2303/29/2013

R23 are you a moron, just plain stupid, or do you live under a rock?

by Anonymousreply 2403/29/2013

R24 none of the above.

Just seeing a symbol with no explanation does not explain it.

by Anonymousreply 2503/29/2013

Sorry, but it must be all of the above then.

It's the OBVIOUS "HRC" equality symbol that has been around for decades... dressed up in valentine red during the week when Gay Marriage and MARRIAGE EQUALITY is not only everywhere in the news, but in front of the Supreme Court... and you couldn't put two-and-two together?

Stupid moron living under a rock.

Damn.

by Anonymousreply 2603/29/2013

Here's a much nicer version, from Mark Rothko.

by Anonymousreply 2703/29/2013

[quote]Just seeing a symbol with no explanation does not explain it.

Might need to work on your powers of inference.

by Anonymousreply 2803/29/2013

I thought Facebook was having issues as all the photos seemed to be this symbol.

I closed and re-opened my browser.

by Anonymousreply 2903/29/2013

OP, should be more careful about calling people Idiots, especially after starting such a moronic thread.

by Anonymousreply 3003/29/2013

I've seen about a hundred designs, some very creative, but all a basic play on the same image

by Anonymousreply 3103/29/2013

Why does everyone assume that all posters live in the US and must live under rocks not to know this symbol?

by Anonymousreply 3203/29/2013

R32, because you're in an American Gay Forum here, and not only is HRC discussed to death, but this symbol isn't exactly new and is seen and associated with gay rights world-wide.

by Anonymousreply 3303/29/2013

[bold]How The Red Equal Sign Took Over Facebook, According To Facebook's Own Data[/bold]

It seemed like most people were changing their Facebook profile pictures to the Human Rights Campaign's symbol for equality -- that red equal sign -- this week as the U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments in two cases concerning same-sex marriage. Turns out, it didn't just seem like most people were doing it -- hard data backs up what you saw in your Facebook feed. 2.7 million more people changed their profile pictures on Tuesday, March 26 compared to the previous Tuesday, a trove of charts published by Facebook on Friday reveal.

Across the country, Facebook users changed their profile pictures. The chart above shows the rhythm of profile pic changes day after day, with a clear spike on March 26. Facebook didn't analyze exactly what they changed their pictures to, but we can safely assume that the red equal sign was driving the bump. On Tuesday morning, the HRC posted the symbol on its Facebook page and encouraged those in support of same-sex marriage to use it as their profile picture while the Supreme Court discussed Prop 8.

The well-known geographic divides are apparently: same-sex marriage gets more support in the more liberal Northeast and West, less in the South. Additionally, Facebook found that 30-year-olds were the most likely to change their profile picture, with around 3.5 percent doing so. The data also showed that, unsurprisingly, those living in college towns were the most likely to change their profile pictures. Sure, it's great that people feel comfortable to publicly show their support for such an important issue, but does changing your profile picture really make a difference? Maybe.

Melanie Tannenbaum of The Scientific American argues that while changing your profile pictures to show your support for same-sex marriage certainly won't have an impact on legislation, it could affect your Facebook friends. In her article on the subject, Tannenbaum explains that people can be influenced by what they perceive to be social norms. If someone sees that all of his friends are pro same-sex marriage, he may feel that such an opinion is the social norm and be more likely to adopt it himself.

As lovely as the idea of creating social change via social media is, and as exciting as Facebook's statistics are, it is also widely known that intolerance is often deeply rooted in one's upbringing. But equal sign or no equal sign, consensus in favor of gay marriage is rapidly forming in America.

by Anonymousreply 3403/29/2013

Personally, I think seeing my facebook feed turn red like that was the coolest thing ever.

by Anonymousreply 3503/30/2013

[bold]Facebook: 2.7 Million People Showed Their Support for Marriage Equality by Changing Their Profile Pictures[/bold]

If you are friends with a generally pro-marriage equality bunch, you probably saw your Facebook News Feed morph into a stream of red and white equals signs earlier this week as the Supreme Court heard two cases on the rights of gays to marry in this country. Was *everybody* seeing this, or was it just you and your liberal friends?

Facebook has dug into its data a bit and can give us some semblance of an answer: It wasn't just you; a ton of people changed their pics over to the Human Rights Campaign's equality sign (or some variation thereof) on Tuesday. It's impossible to get a precise number, but Facebook says that 2.7 million more U.S. Facebook users changed their profile picture that day than on the Tuesday before, a good stand-in for a null hypothesis. In general, the crop of people who changed their pictures this Tuesday as compared to last clustered around age 30, with roughly 3.5 percent of 30-year-old U.S. Facebook users taking part in the action.

Facebook's Data Science team also mapped out the likelihood of a profile-pic update across the nation, showing a pretttty widespread geographic distribution everywhere outside of the south and parts of the plains region. The county with the greatest participation rate? Washtenaw County, Michigan, where the University of Michigan has its main campus in Ann Arbor. Facebook estimates that 6.2 percent of users who logged in in Washtenaw Country changed their profile picture. In general, college towns saw high rates of participation (such as Orange and Durham counties in North Carolina, home of UNC and Duke, and Johnson County, Iowa, where the University of Iowa is based), as did major cities such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, and DC.

Facebook Data Science team rounded out their research with a closing remark. "For a long time, when people stood up for a cause and weren't all physically standing shoulder to shoulder, the size of their impact wasn't immediately apparent," they wrote. "But today, we can see the spread of an idea online in greater detail than ever before."

by Anonymousreply 3603/30/2013

Love the meme. HRC can go tot hell.

by Anonymousreply 3703/30/2013

It's a bloody cunt, silly.

by Anonymousreply 3803/30/2013

[quote]Last year, HRC raised over 2 million dollars to find its national black tie gala. What have you plebes done for the gay community???

Is it their fault that the gala cost $2.1 million? Champagne is expensive.

by Anonymousreply 3903/30/2013

Have any of you who criticize HRC been to a Black Tie event and know how it works?

by Anonymousreply 4003/30/2013

Yes, R40! Black Tie events are soooooo daunting! You have to buy a tuxedo, pay for tickets, and not get caught eating in public!

by Anonymousreply 4103/30/2013

Thanks, R27.

by Anonymousreply 4203/30/2013

r41 - As an attendee, that is true. However, people volunteer to be on the local boards. The spend a lot of time and energy soliciting donations (cash, auctions items), volunteers, advertising, getting emcees and speakers, securing the space and catering, pre-events etc. A lot of work goes into these by people who have full-time jobs. Black Tie parties are no different from black-tie events organized for March of Dimes, American Cancer Society, local museums, symphonies and other causes. Why is HRC criticized for doing the same type of fundraisers for AIDS and other gay-related causes?

by Anonymousreply 4303/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.