Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Joan vs. Bette vs. Batman

Seriously!

Why didn't Joan or Bette pop up as Batman villains on the 60s show.

Bankhead did. As well as Shelly Winters.

by Anonymousreply 3804/08/2013

Bette probably would've done it, she'd do anything for money.

Joan probably wouldn't, she would've considered it beneath her to do a children's show and wouldn't have been willing to play second fiddle to Batman.

A lot of Old Hollywood stars of Crawford's magnitude would rather have appeared in a shitty movie as the star than in a quality movie as a supporting character.

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

Crawford and Davis were both turned down for the part played by Tallula and Eartha Kitt.

by Anonymousreply 203/26/2013

I can buy Crawford as Black Widow.

But Davis in blackface? In THAT costume???

No way!

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2013

[quote]Joan probably wouldn't, she would've considered it beneath her to do a children's show and wouldn't have been willing to play second fiddle to Batman.

But she'd go on Lucy...Bad line of logic.

[quote]Bette probably would've done it, she'd do anything for money.

Wrong...She actively set about to destroy Joan's chance for an Oscar on "Baby Jane." If Joan had won it would've meant more money for the film and for both actresses.

by Anonymousreply 403/26/2013

The single GAYEST scene ever to appear on Batman.

I doubt either Joan or Bette could top this level of camp.

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2013

[quote]But she'd go on Lucy...Bad line of logic.

No, many A-List stars appeared on the various (highly rated) Lucy shows, to appear on them was almost a declaration of stardom, (especially when playing one's self).

[quote]Wrong...She actively set about to destroy Joan's chance for an Oscar on "Baby Jane." If Joan had won it would've meant more money for the film and for both actresses.

Davis did that because she didn't like Crawford. Look at Davis' IMDb in her later years she took any acting job going because she needed the money. It's well known she died almost broke.

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2013

[quote]Crawford and Davis were both turned down for the part played by Tallula and Eartha Kitt.

Eartha Kitt played the Catwoman after Julie Newmar left the role - I can't believe that Joan Crawford and Bette Davis - in their 60s - were ever considered to be a substitute Catwoman.

by Anonymousreply 703/26/2013

Lucille Ball was supposed to play Catwoman but Gary Morton talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 803/26/2013

I can totally see Davis and her lumpy body decked out in that form fitting black number, puffing on a smoke and talking about how "purr-fect" this Chesterfield is.

by Anonymousreply 903/26/2013

If only Gary hadn't have wielded so much influence. Lucy was born to play "Catwoman" as were Lucie and Desi Jr. as "Catgirl" and "Catboy" respectively.

by Anonymousreply 1003/26/2013

Lucille Ball was supposed to play Commission Gordon's grandmother, but Gary Morton talked her out of it. He thought she looked too old for the part and didn't want her made fun of.

by Anonymousreply 1103/26/2013

[quote]Lucille Ball was supposed to play Commission Gordon's grandmother, but Gary Morton talked her out of it. He thought she looked too old for the part and didn't want her made fun of.

I think she could've gotten away with it if they used the "sieve lens" as used on magnum opus, "Mame". When I was able to make out it was her I thought she could easily pass for a woman in her late seventies.

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2013

[quote]No, many A-List stars appeared on the various (highly rated) Lucy shows, to appear on them was almost a declaration of stardom, (especially when playing one's self).

Other than Liz and Dick, the stars who appeared on Lucy (post-Ricky) weren't more A-list than the stars who appeared on Batman, which was also highly rated (especially in its first year and a half).

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

[quote]Other than Liz and Dick, the stars who appeared on Lucy (post-Ricky) weren't more A-list than the stars who appeared on Batman, which was also highly rated (especially in its first year and a half).

There were some high profile guests post-Ricky. Lucy was still getting good ratings and considered a reputable show even if the quality was declining. "Batman" was considered a children's show and certain celebrities who'd agree to appear on "Lucy" would've scoffed at the thought of appearing on "Batman" (such as Liz and Dick). "Batman" might've some kitsch value today but it wasn't taken seriously whilst in aired.

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

It was considered a real hoot among Hollywood celebrities in the mid-60s to do a Batman stint--I don't know that you'd call them A-list, but a lot of the stars who played the villains were highly respected with viable careers on the stage or in film or on television at the time: Ethel Merman, Tallulah Bankhead, Art Carney, Van Johnson, Liberace (who had relatively recently come off his stint on his wildly popular TV show), Ida Lupino, Shelley Winters, Milton Berle, Anne Baxter. More like B-listers than A-listers, but certainly not the complete hasbeens that were on The Love Boat.

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

(btw, some of the same people who were B-listers on Batman, like Ethel Merman, were also on The Love Boat; but that was fifteen years later when they had really been long eclipsed in fame and had become hasbeens)

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

I've always denied the rumor Bette was offered to role of Two Face.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

Joan as Poison Ivy.

Bette as Harley Quinn.

Helen Lawson as Talia Al Ghul.

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

"They drummed you right outta Gotham City, so you come crawling back to The Lazarus Pits. But the Pits don't go for booze and dope. Now get out of my way, I've got an assassin waiting for me."

by Anonymousreply 1903/27/2013

Talia didn't exist in the mid-60s.

by Anonymousreply 2003/27/2013

Guest staring

Miss Ann Miller

as

THE MAD TAPPER

by Anonymousreply 2103/29/2013

"Batman, watch out for the karn cob holders!"

by Anonymousreply 2203/29/2013

Ethel Merman as Lulu Schultz aka Lola Lasagna wipes the floor with them all, darlings.

She has a 3 week marriage in the show -- hints to her marriage to Borgnine?

by Anonymousreply 2303/29/2013

[quote]But she'd go on Lucy...Bad line of logic

You're the one who doesn't get it. Stars went on Lucy's shows as themselves to get their stardom honored and praised (for some rightfully, for others, way after their star had stopped shining so bright).

R1's original point was that Crawford, whether you thought she was A-list or Z-list, would have never played second fiddle to anyone. And that is a very valid point. R1 did later confuse the issue at r6 by stating many A-list stars did Lucy, which was true...but so did many B and C-list ones, which still doesn;'t take away from the fact that Crawford would never play repertory.

R1 should have left the ranking out and just said "stars" - as in "people who will only do lead roles", many of whom did drop by the Lucy shows to be fawned on (even if other actors who did supporting roles also dropped by). In other words, appearing in the Lucy venues never took away from someone's standing as a leading-role only star (rank is another issue).

Put yet another way, a star can be a has-been and still refuse to do anything but lead. As another poster put it, Joan Crawford would have rather starred in Z-projects than support in B ones. And that was the quintessential old school studio/star system Hollywood STAH, which Joan Crawford defined!

Big exception: when she replaced her daughter in that soap - but that was stunt casting to market her as "still youthful looking" and a "good mother" (with dismal results).

by Anonymousreply 2403/29/2013

Shirley MacLaine, in the middle of a career slump right before "Sweet Charity", would have been fierce as a slightly kookier Batgirl, but still high-kicking the villains away by propping herself atop bars, tables and trapezes.

by Anonymousreply 2503/29/2013

I would've loved to have seen Ann Miller as "The Mad Tapper".

by Anonymousreply 2603/29/2013

r20, get a sense of humour.

by Anonymousreply 2703/29/2013

Ethel Merman as Lola Lasagna was a subconscious return to the mother, a dark womb world from which we are expelled and then sucked back into.

by Anonymousreply 2803/29/2013

Tonight's Special Bat Villain

MARLENE DIETRICH

as

Krautwoman

by Anonymousreply 2903/29/2013

Make no mistake...at the time, Liz & Dick were THE most famous couple on earth. For them to appear on Lucy's sitcom was a huge deal and yet another feather in Lucille Ball's well-adorned cap. Not to mentioned it delivered one of the highest ratings for any series episode that year. On another note, the camera lenses used for Lucy's Mame close-ups were no different from what were used in most Hollywood musicals for stars "of a certain age." Why Lucy is crucified for this I will never understand.

by Anonymousreply 3003/29/2013

[quote] Put yet another way, a star can be a has-been and still refuse to do anything but lead.

I'm sorry, what?

by Anonymousreply 3103/29/2013

"On another note, the camera lenses used for Lucy's Mame close-ups were no different from what were used in most Hollywood musicals for stars "of a certain age." Why Lucy is crucified for this I will never understand."

No other star used it so egregiously r30.

by Anonymousreply 3203/29/2013

lol @ r29

by Anonymousreply 3303/30/2013

Someone actually drew Ann as if she WAS a Batman character.

by Anonymousreply 3403/30/2013

[quoteNo other star used it so egregiously [R30].

Bless you R32.

by Anonymousreply 3503/30/2013

Are you the real Cybil Shephard?I don't blame you for being pissed at the way Bruce Willis and the producers treated you on Moonlighting,even though I am a fan of Bruce Willis.He should play Kirk Douglas's part in a remake of 1978's "The Fury". Bette and Joan would have been good as feuding supervillains on "Batman" and Raquel Welch would have been good as Poison Ivy.

by Anonymousreply 3604/02/2013

I love this thread. :)

by Anonymousreply 3704/08/2013

Burgess Meredith and Cesar Romero - who played The Penguin and The Joker, respectively - were respected Hollywood veterans and character actors whose resumes went back decades. The same goes for the three actors who played Dr. Freeze - George Sanders, Otto Preminger and Eli Wallach. Preminger was also a renowned director.

by Anonymousreply 3804/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.