Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Buzz Bissinger, 58, addicted to Gucci

I don't even know what to say about this.

by Anonymousreply 3603/27/2013

Also, here's a slideshow of his outfits.

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

Eww. Kill it!

by Anonymousreply 203/26/2013

Sounds like there is a lot more going on with him than a shopping addiction. The piece was rambling and insane. He mentions he's being treated for mild bi-polar. I don't think there's much "mild" about it.

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2013

He also stopped having sex with his wife and started experimenting with men.

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2013

Just read the piece. I can't *believe* there's not a longer thread on it. This is truly one of the most fascinating pieces of journalism I've read in ages. I can't even *begin* to fathom the depths of an addiction of this nature, or of spending OVER SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS on clothes over the course of TWO YEARS.

A few things in particular strike me from it:

1) Let's be blunt: Buzz looks fucking ridiculous in these get-ups. He is not Mick Jagger or Jim Morrison; he's a fat, late-middle-aged journalist with at least three or four personality disorders. Why on earth didn't anyone SAY anything to him about these crazy-ass outfits? Doesn't he have any true *friends* with the balls to say, "Dude, you look ABSURD"?

2) The Milan shows were barely two months ago. Two months is nowhere near enough time to deal with an addiction this intense. Writing about it in GQ isn't a "fix," either. I agree with the poster above questioning his diagnosis of "mild" bi-polar; I'd be more inclined to think EXTREME case of OCD, treatable only by high doses of some serious meds.

3) Damn, I wish I had the kind of bank to blow $600K just on clothes. Granted, I'd indulge in something else -- exotic cars, maybe -- but still, he must have gotten one *hell* of an inheritance from his parents. (Even for journalists of Buzz's renown, there's not THAT much money to be had.) And why the fuck is he living in Philly if his wife's in the Middle East and his kids have all left for college? Does/did he actually *wear* this kind of shit around there? He chastises the "old biddies" who gasp in horror at the sight of wearing a striped shirt with a striped tie, but these outfits go waaaaaaaaaay beyond such a thing. I know Philly pretty well, and I'm coming up blank as to a *single* place in the entire region where these looks would truly work. They only *barely* work by Manhattan standards, which I know is saying a lot.

At least he had the good sense not to try wearing the six-inch stilettos outside the confines of his house...

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2013

Extraordinary, extreme bad taste in clothing is a symptom of mania, as is insane spending.

Who's paying for his kids' college education now?

by Anonymousreply 703/26/2013

What a sad fat fuck.

Does he not know how fucking hard the house of Gucci is laughing as they take all his money?

by Anonymousreply 803/26/2013

Does he not know that hardly anybody actually buys those insane runway fashions? Much of it is given away to celebrities and socialites, because they advertise the brand and ramp up sales for handbags, luggage, and other "label" crap.

Nobody but Rich Russian Lady and other wealthy suckers actually pay the retail prices for those horrors, which is why they treated him so well.

by Anonymousreply 903/26/2013

This is the same idiot who decided Mitt Romney was just what the country needed.

by Anonymousreply 1003/26/2013

I was also expecting there to a be a monster thread about this. How long has he been basically openly nuts? When I read about this Twitter meltdown last year I at first thought that people were falling for a really obvious fake account ("I already noted that fucking douchejuice retard" - from a fiftysomething man with a mentally disabled son).

by Anonymousreply 1103/26/2013

The spending at Gucci definitely sounds like a manic adventure. I don't understand the article. Is he coming out? Is he a drag queen? There are some loose ends. I feel a little sorry for him. Most unmedicated bipolar guys I know are just scary intense. Bissinger writing about spending all that money on clothes, even if he can afford it, is a cry for help. Or absolution.

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2013

You could feed a poor family for a month on what he spends on a jacket.

Do the GQ editors expect us to laugh at him or feel envious? Or are they just glad they were able to fill a couple of pages? I can't understand why they ran this article.

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

Wow. That was an amazing piece. This guys is one hot tranny mess, but he's a good writer, I'll give him that.

The fascinating part is that he's so blunt about his addiction, but he's still waaaay too crazy to see through his various delusions.

Philly is a good place for a man living in fear. If he lived in LA or NYC he'd become A) Just another fruitcake B)Be called out on how hideous he looks C) Be constantly stopped on the street and asked if he was Chi Chi LaRue

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

There are all kinds of addictions out there. Big surprise.

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

Gurl, you're in danger!

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

It's so funny because as hideous as he is to me I could imagine some men I know who are into bears being into him if he wore scruffy clothes. But not in these ridiculous twink fashionista outfits.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

He's coming insane.

When I first read about this I seriously thought it from the Onion or something

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

He needs to be heavily medicated, spanx and a man bra.

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

Per il sollievo estetica ...

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

If he'd spent only a fraction of that money on a personal trainer he'd look far better in pair of sweats than any of those overpriced clothes.

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2013

[quote]I am a FROW

... Showing results for 'frau'

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

He really should stay away from the skinny jeans.

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

wow. I met him ten years ago. Really nice, really smart, seemed really together.

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

I don't have any patience for people who bash the article; it was fascinating.

The problem is that he buried the lede. He says his repressed sex life got him into Gucci, but he doesn't say much of anything about the sex or how it made him feel about himself. Any 58 year old man would spend 600k (if he had it) to revitalize his sex life. Why doesn't he talk about it?

Another question--does he feel that he glamorizes fashion? No one will read this article and have a positive feeling for Gucci. He doesn't do a good job writing about clothes (but that wasn't the point of the article, anyway).

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

He's a fucktard. That's all there is to it. Clothes will not help him, not even Gucci. He needs psychiatric intervention, followed by TONS of plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

Men be shopping.

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

Whaddya bet his wife is off working in Abu Dhabi because he's spend the kids' college tuition or her retirement fund on hideous clothes?

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

R25, that's one of the most insightful responses I've read on DL in ages. I agree: he was using clothes as a substitute for sex, but only barely glanced on his "experimentation" during this period. (It's not even entirely clear how much, if anything, he did with guys.)

I don't think he thinks he glamorizes fashion; his attitude is entirely that of a narcissist, that he uses fashion to glamorize *himself*. On an intellectual level he clearly realizes the absurdity of spending $600,000 on clothes in a two-year period, and buying a ridiculous wardrobe composed largely of variations on leather jackets and pants; on an addiction level, however, he knows he can't stop himself -- at least not without further help (WELL beyond the very limited psychological assistance described therein).

Personally, I think he needs to dump the wife, get a scrip for a MAJOR SSRI/mood-altering substance (I'm thinking Seroquel), and reestablish a reasonable level of normative behavior in his life before going ANY further with his career or anything else. It sounds like he's fortunate to have the (family) money to pay for this kind of care; he should use it.

R28, we can't assume anything about why the wife fled to Abu Dhabi, particularly since his fashion craze didn't start until after she left. It's a logical assumption, however, that she knew the marriage was basically over and that they should live separate lives if they were to stay married (and frankly, I suspect she's a golddigger if she truly wanted to remain married under such circumstances).

by Anonymousreply 2903/27/2013

If this is really his account, he tweeted his phone number publicly in his last tweet:

[quote]@michaeltillery Yo. This is Buzz Bissinger. I need to speak to you about Dennis Rodman asap if possible. His style of play. 215-290-5370

by Anonymousreply 3003/27/2013

R30, do you think he tweeted that during a manic episode?

by Anonymousreply 3103/27/2013

Scholocko director Peter Berg is his cousin. Does he like Gucci? Many media people are barely controlling their schizoid, OCD, deranged, closeted behavior. In this case, overexposure through Twitter, radio shows and GQ articles only reveal the depth of his illness. The boots are bad ass, however.

by Anonymousreply 3203/27/2013

He's on the Michael Cimino express methinks.

by Anonymousreply 3303/27/2013

Social network makes it easier for insecure mental cases to show off.

I'm ca-ca-crazy! Jealous, bitches?

I'm the Queen Bee of crazy! Bow down, bitches!

I can't be the only dude who's doing this, right? Right? Right? League of male shop-a-holics, grab your credit cards!

But hey, at least he's not torturing or killing kittens or puppies, diddling little boys or girls, or dismember men or women.

by Anonymousreply 3403/27/2013

"Men be shopping."

by Anonymousreply 3503/27/2013

"But hey, at least he's not torturing or killing kittens or puppies, diddling little boys or girls, or dismember men or women."

That you know of....

by Anonymousreply 3603/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!