Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do your parents pay for your cellphone?

Report: 40% of parents of 18 to 35-year-olds pay for cell service.

So do your parents pay for your cellphone?

If yes tell us why?

by Anonymousreply 3903/26/2013

I love the idea that there are 18 to 35s in significant numbers on Datalounge! LOL

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

Since they are dead, no

by Anonymousreply 203/26/2013

I'm 23 and no. I pay all of my own rent and bills.

They did buy me a car when I fished school last year, though.

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2013

"Fished" school?

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 403/26/2013

A 35 year old whose parents are paying their cell phone bill is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2013

I pay my own plus my mother's.

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2013

If you're over 21 and your parents are still paying your bills - please kill yourself.

by Anonymousreply 703/26/2013

[quote] If you're over 21 and your parents are still paying your bills - please kill yourself.

Yes, because in this booming economy, everyone should be able to find a great-paying job upon graduation from college.

by Anonymousreply 803/26/2013

No, my sugar daddy does though.

by Anonymousreply 903/26/2013

No, not "a great paying job" you lazy little shit at R8.

Just get a job, any job, so that you can pay your own bills instead of continuing to sponge off of your parents.

by Anonymousreply 1003/26/2013

Ditto, r6.

by Anonymousreply 1103/26/2013

If your parents are dumb enough to pay your cellphone bill, why not? Who gives a fuck?

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2013

I have a job, asshole R10. I was lucky to graduate in the 90s when the economy was in great shape and establish myself during an economic boom.

But you just go on judging the kids who aren't so lucky.

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

Awww, r8/r13's widdle feewings got hurt!

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

R8, it doesn't matter if you can or not, it's not your parents job to support you when you're a grown man. If you don't get that, there's no hope for you.

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

No. Tho they did while I was in college. Now I pay for theirs. They can afford their own, but they've always thought they were generaly a waste of money. My mom had to use hers when she drove into Chicago, got lost, and panicked that she was in a bad neighborhood. She called my dad and he was able to get her back on the right route. About six months ago my dad slipped on the stairs going down to the basement, breaking his ankle. He called me before he called 911, so EMS wouldn't have to break down a door. They haven't complained since.

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

Right now yes. I've been unemployed for 3 years now. My mother got me on her family plan so I wouldn't have another bill to pay. IF I ever get another job I'll get my own again. I have an interview for p/t work this afternoon. Hopefully something will come from it.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

R5, a good friend who's fifty has a cell on her parents' bundled plan. Her sister is on it too, and lives in Westport, CT and is wealthy. It seems strange to me but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

r8 - if you don't have a damn job, do what the rest of world does. Don't get a damn cellphone. Or get a cheap prepay. For fucks sake, you people realise this sense of entitlement is your downfall, right?

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

I'm not R8 but it's actually cheaper for a parent to put you on their plan especially if you are job seeking and making and receiving a lot of calls. Those "cheap" prepays aren't that cheap.

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2013

I pay for my parent's cellphone.

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

I think a lot of people are on family plans. Many people still pay their parents for their phones, but under the family plan. You get better rates.

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

Non-family plan rates are insane. Any way to bring down the costs is a smart move IMO. We're are the point where you need a cell phone. It's like how you need a computer. You don't have the option anymore. Try finding a working pay phone, or any public phone for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

[quote]No, not "a great paying job" you lazy little shit at [R8].

Unhinged loon alert!!

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

[quote]do what the rest of world does. Don't get a damn cellphone.

You're obviously an old fart flyover, and know nothing about the rest of the world. Maybe in a war torn area they don't have cell phones.

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

Only through inheritance.

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

My partner and I both pay for our parents' cell phones.

We put them on our family plan. They don't text or browse the web, so they only cost $10 a month. Why have them pay $45-55 a month for a barely-used service? My partner's mother, who is 86 years old, will not even pick up the cellphone when it rings. Those things are for the man of the house to deal with!

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

My mother teaches at the high school I used to attend 15 years ago. I went to pick her up the other day because her car was in the shop. I'd forgotten my cell phone, so I went to where the old bank of payphones used to be (for students to contact their parents/rides) to call her and let her know I was outside, and there was nothing there. They'd removed them.

I finally tracked down a janitor outside and asked if there were phones anywhere within walking distance, and there weren't. So even high school students are expected to have cell phones these days.

by Anonymousreply 2903/26/2013

My Daddy pays for everything!

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

[quote]If you're over 21 and your parents are still paying your bills -

You mean 18, that is when, as Al Bundy told Kelly, graduated or not, you're out the door.

by Anonymousreply 3103/26/2013

21 does seem awfully arbitrary. Most people are still in college at age 21.

by Anonymousreply 3203/26/2013

No. I'm 44 and my parents haven't paid any of my bills since I was 18. At 14 my allowance was cut off and I was expected to get an afterschool job to pay for my own expenses. The rule was if I wanted new clothes I was free to buy what I liked with my own money, but if I expected my parents to pay for it then they would have absolute veto power over the purchases (and my whole wardrobe would come from Sears). I was also expected to buy my own school lunches. If I choose not to then I was welcome to pack a brown bag lunch at home from whatever was on hand, but my parents were no longer going to hand me cash each week to buy lunches.

I think my parents raised me well, at least in this regard. I worked my way through college and suffered through years of low-paying jobs without one penny of help from them. In an emergency they would step in of course, but I was responsible for everyday expenses and, after college, all expenses. I can't imagine relying on help from my parents in my 20s or (massive eye roll) 30s. Grow the fuck up, guys.

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013

No, I pay for mine and my father's cell phone service.

by Anonymousreply 3403/26/2013

At 47 years old my mom was paying my cell phone bill. Embarrassing but she insisted! I had a company phone which was monitored for a bunch of stuff like roaming charges-this was a few years ago before any unlimited plan- and my mom got a deal on four phones and a family plan and she gave one to myself my sister and her husband just so she could keep in touh without worrying about any work issues. She bailed on that plan a few year later and now I pay my own bill. She has a landline now.

by Anonymousreply 3503/26/2013

No, I pay my own.

But God knows that if for some reason I couldn't afford it, she insist on paying for it. She has to be in constant phone contact with everyone at all times.

She had a phone in her car back when I'd only ever seen one on Dynasty or Charlie's Angels.

by Anonymousreply 3603/26/2013

No they do not, I'm happy to say!

But then, I'm 49.

by Anonymousreply 3703/26/2013

I AM the parent and pay for the 24 yr olds iPhone...just a few months ago my 28 yr old started paying for his and he hasn't lived at home for 8yrs....why do we pay? We had all the phones through a business . It was cheap

by Anonymousreply 3803/26/2013

No, I've paid for my cell phone ever since I got a cell phone.

But, my Dad owns a business, and I could have got a phone for $10 a month on his business plan. But, he told me this right after I re=signed my contract with my current provider. I could be saving $85 per month, so I might have done it. Though, my number and carrier would have to change. It wouldn't cost him anything extra, other than the $10, which I would pay.

And, I actually do some things for his business from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 3903/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!