Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the point of keeping a fish as a pet?

What's the point? It's not very interactive, and you can't develop a special bond with a fish. How do you "play" with it?

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

It's supposed to be calming.

I don't get the point of keeping birds. Who could stand the racket and mess?

by Anonymousreply 203/26/2013

They seem more interactive than house plants.

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2013

Unexpectedly ended up breeding and raising African/mostly Tanganyikan Cichlids for some years and was surprised at how interesting they were. Had generally 13 aquariums of various sizes.

So many different ways of breeding, bearing, and raising their young, variety of species and gender-based behaviors, the odd atypical behaviors of some seen when having a substantial number of fish... Some really gorgeous coloring also

Meeting the water and filtration requirements was challenging and required a lot of technical learning and attention. Feeding and plant life and proper environments also required ongoing self-education.

Found it quite fascinating overall and would do it again for that reason if time and money permitted, it consumes plenty of both.

by Anonymousreply 403/26/2013

We had a shrimp that you could feed krill, by hand. I cried when it died.

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2013

A fish tank is calming if done right. It's not so much to bond with the fish, if they get sick you just flush them and buy another for about a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2013

I know it's wrong, but damn R7, that's funny.

by Anonymousreply 803/26/2013

A gold fish is a perfect pet.

You never have to walk a goldfish

It never keeps you up late barking

And the best part is, long before you get tired of looking at it, it dies

by Anonymousreply 903/26/2013

We have 10 "feeder" goldfish as pets in 30 gallon tank. They have more personality than a lot of other pets I can think of. What I don't get is the keeping of large snakes as pets. Why? Unless you just get off on it killing mice and other larger animals as it grows.

by Anonymousreply 1003/26/2013

I consider aquarium fish less pets than living tchotchkes. Really, they're like artwork, or shiny pretty things, or any other item or object that you display for aesthetics alone. Their sole purpose is to appear decorative. They can be very pretty and aquariums can be a cool design feature if done well, but they don't give me that warm and fuzzy giddiness I get when I see a cat or dog.

I'm actually not really a fan of any pets except mammals (cats in particular but also dogs, rabbits, ferrets, etc). I just can't bond with someone who isn't warm and furry like me. For the life of me I can't fathom why someone would want a reptile as a pet, they ugly like mythical monsters and just look like miniature dinosaurs that would love nothing more than to feast on your flesh. I know, it probably sounds nutty to some, but those are my assiciations with reptiles.

Birds are dirty, loud and a little creepy. Plus I think it's cruel to clip their wings and keep them in a cage all the time.

To each his own, though. Regardless of species, I think it's admirable when someone takes a pet and cares for it well. It usually shows that they possess a generous heart and a sense of empathy for other living things.

by Anonymousreply 1103/26/2013

They typically make the room look prettier. They are a living decoration, basically.

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2013

Birds can be very affectionate, surprisingly.

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

People who keep fish have water somewhere in their astro charts (Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio). People who don't have those influences just aren't attracted to the idea. The few people I've known with aquariums had Pisces figuring prominently.

I know, I know, roll your eyes, but you'll find it's true every time.

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

No Vet Bills

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

A bit cruel, if you think about it.

And yes I've kept fish from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

R14 I'm an earth virgo, but my aquarium has lots of live plants in it.

Running water is also supposed to be great feng shui that pertains to money coming in. Supposedly that's why you see a lot of aquariums and water fountains in Asian establishments.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

[quote]A bit cruel, if you think about it.

Not really. It's not like they have complex brains.

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

Worn excuse, R18.

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

FERRETS!!??? Ewwwww.

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

Fish tanks depending on their decor and fish, can be very relaxing to look at. You could go with simple freshwater or even saltwater to get some really decorative fish.

Birds chirping can also be stimulating. It depends on the breed.

Also white noise, and ambiance. Dogs bark at the front door and can be disruptive to most peoples lives if they are too busy to care for a pet. The fish and birds are less time consuming, and very independent. Similar to cats.Unlike cats, they don't stink and they don't tear up your furniture.

It is about preference in companion traits, and what time you have for upkeep. Fish and birds don't need walking, and cleaning up after them takes less of a hassle. Tanks just need water replaced every few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2013

They're pretty.

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

[quote]Worn excuse, [R18].

Being worn does not make it invalid.

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

No, that's just all by itself.

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

Your fish is dead

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

They are also delicious. Especially when you are just too tired to make a Safeway run on a weekend.

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

A single goldfish in a bowl is a waste of time and energy. A big tank of sardines or lobsters is great for snacks.

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

What's the point of anything?

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

I like where R28 is goin'.

by Anonymousreply 2903/26/2013

another R28 fan.

What is the point in collecting stamps, salsa dancing or leather pants?

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!