Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NBC's reputation just keeps getting worse

NBC wouldn't let Ann Curry send Robin Roberts a sympathy tweet

By Laurel Brown | March 25, 2013 10:21 PM ET

If you watch TV, you may have gotten the impression that network executives are a heartless bunch concerned only with the bottom line. This article will not change this opinion: According to the lengthy article published in "New York Magazine," NBC wouldn't let fired "Today" host Ann Curry send ABC's Robin Roberts a sympathy tweet.

That would be consorting with the enemy after all.

There is plenty in the larger story to make decent humans froth at the mouth in bitterness, but this one act seems especially cold. "Good Morning America" host Roberts had to take a break from her job due to a diagnosis of myelodysplastic syndrome, a blood disease similar to cancer. Roberts' departure was widely publicized and many celebrities posted their support on Twitter.

According to the "New York" article, this was not enough to move whoever was managing the Curry situation at NBC.

"Ann Curry was gone but not gone, which created a situation of spectacular awkwardness... When Robin Roberts left 'Good Morning America' a month later to get treatment for MDS, Curry asked NBC if she could tweet a note of sympathy for the ABC co-host. NBC said no, afraid she was trying to aid the enemy."

A great deal of attention was paid to "Today" and Ann Curry when the firing (and expensive pay-off from NBC) became public. This new information definitely paints the former host in a much better light.

by Anonymousreply 3103/27/2013

Jay's right about them.

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

The New York article was juicier than a 50 ounce rare steak. Matt comes across as a major asshole; Savannah is made to look like an incompetent Eve Harrington; Natalie is briefly caricatured as a home-wrecking slut; Al is made to look passive-aggressive; and Hoda and Kathie Lee are ridiculed as obnoxious idiots.

by Anonymousreply 203/26/2013

Why didn't she just send a card in private instead?

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2013

Network executives do not care about the bottom line. They only care about their mortgage payments. Anything else is peripheral to their existence.

by Anonymousreply 403/26/2013

Because a private card wouldn't be PUBLIC, R3.

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2013

Please let me know how she could be stopped from sending a tweet.

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2013

By her BOSS at NBC...

She is an employee and she is posting as an employee of NBC. She cannot post anything that NBC does not approve.

by Anonymousreply 703/26/2013

Which article, r2? Got a link?

by Anonymousreply 803/26/2013

Weird. My boss can't stop me from tweeting anything if I'm not doing so as an employee of the company.

by Anonymousreply 903/26/2013

NBC is trying to make her look bad and yet she keeps honoring the contract. Assholes. They should do the right thing and release her so she can find take a new job.

by Anonymousreply 1003/26/2013

If only we could arouse such hardy passion for the undernourished waifs of the world as we do this celebrated multi-millionaire who is famous simply for looking sad or happy while reading cue cards.

by Anonymousreply 1103/26/2013

Yes, R11. Ann Curry is simply ALL I live for.

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2013

I would watch a morning show where the hostility was overt and not an undertone.

"And now over to Ann with the headlines, if she can remember how to read."

"Fuck you, baldy. Cruise was right about you. Hey, fat fuck, what's the weather today? Why am I even asking; you never get it right."

"Bite me, flower drum, how is it you're the only Asian girl who UNDERachieves?"

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

The View when Rosie O'Donnell was on was the closest example of a daytime talk show letting the hatred seethe onscreen. Sometimes those battles between Rosie and Elisabeth was so awkward to witness. There was a distinct point when Rosie just couldn't hide her contempt for Elisabeth anymore and that's when the sparks (and the ratings) started to shoot up.

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

So Ann is STILL with NBC? WTF is she doing? Making pot-stickers?

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

I'm sure the feeling was mutual r14.

And Rosie did take it to a childish level. I mean, really, drawing a stache on Elizabeth's studio picture. How 2nd gradish!

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

then Rosie will cry.... no one likes me because I'm fat and gay and people think I'm a bully picking on poor petite Elisabeth.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

NBC needs to close up shop, go out of business, give up while the getting is good. The only thing they have left are the Olympic Games and they should just sell the rights to ESPN.

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

[quote] So Ann is STILL with NBC? WTF is she doing? Making pot-stickers?

She is under contract and they will not release her.

When she was removed from Today, she should have taken advantage of that and left NBC

Instead she signed a new long-term contract, and is now stuck there for the next couple of years.

She is trying to get out, but NBC has refused.

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

[quote]And Rosie did take it to a childish level. I mean, really, drawing a stache on Elizabeth's studio picture. How 2nd gradish!

She did not do that.

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

What benefit is to NBC to keep Curry around? Why not tear up the contract and let everyone move on? NBC saves a few millions and they can stop the dripping of bad press on the whole sorry affair.

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2013

Because if Curry goes to another show, particularly another morning show, she will probably take some of the 25 viewers NBC has left.

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

People tend to believe the phoniest people are actors/musicians/politicians, but no one will ever top media people. Just vile, phony, arrogant shitheads.

David Gregory's bitching about Obama not kissing their asses pretty much confirmed what complete and utter self-absorbed douchebags they all are.

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

Rosie had her head writer do it, r20.

Same difference!

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

The article also made Ann seem overly sensitive and not able to take a joke.

by Anonymousreply 2503/27/2013

Jenna Wolfe just announced that she's pregnant and in doing so referenced her partner. Has she been out? Did I miss that?

by Anonymousreply 2603/27/2013

Yep, she's out. (And they make a cute couple.)

by Anonymousreply 2703/27/2013

[quote]Please let me know how she could be stopped from sending a tweet.

Can you not read?

[quote]Ann Curry was gone but not gone, which created a situation of spectacular awkwardness... When Robin Roberts left 'Good Morning America' a month later to get treatment for MDS, [bold]Curry asked NBC if she could tweet a note of sympathy for the ABC co-host. NBC said no, afraid she was trying to aid the enemy[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 2803/27/2013

[quote]Weird. My boss can't stop me from tweeting anything if I'm not doing so as an employee of the company.

Excuse me, are you a public figure?

Has your company spent millions promoting your work, your voice and your face on a national level?

Are you under contract with them, and does that contract include restrictions on your public behavior, appearances, endorsements and communication?

Does your name and image regularly appear in national magazines, tabloids, newspapers and websites?

Have you ever had a change in employment status (such as a demotion) that garnered national press coverage and public speculation about the reasons for your job change?

Are you Diane fucking Sawyer? Then STFU, moron.

by Anonymousreply 2903/27/2013

Curry is always blameless, even though she is an inept, thick-headed, humorless, not-bright, clumsy, selfish and grotesquely weepy cunt.

Boo fucking hoo.

(Not that I don't detest Lauer. NBC has been the domain of creeps and twats since Jane Pauley set the standard for Today's "New Girl."

by Anonymousreply 3003/27/2013

[quote]Rosie had her head writer do it

LOL! No she didn't. Janette Barber did that on her own.

by Anonymousreply 3103/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.